• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know exactly how long it has been in development, but the first video of an unfinished Chill Penguin stage came out about a year ago, and this is all the progress shown to the public by developer TiagoSC since then. Chill Penguin is now playable from start to finish including the boss fight, as well as the intro stage complete with Vile Fight, and all of Armored Armadillo without the boss so far.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
....But why? I'm always a little impressed by fan port engineering, but do I wish it was more practical in terms of the end goal. Or do these porters do these exercises for their personal skills development?

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
Is that Savaged Regime's remixes of the Mega Man X soundtrack? (His versions of the songs are specifically designed to run on Mega Drive/Genesis hardware.)

Also, i'm not sure why the author backported sounds from the PS1 MMX titles into this. Especially the voice samples. They sound completely out of place.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I clicked the Armored Armadillo stage just to see if the slowdown in the fast parts was still there.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to rant about the fact that the porter added voices, but considering that:
1) they're fairly muffled and discreet,
2) X's voice sounds like Takeshi Kusao (Trunks from DBZ),
I can't complain too much.

Pretty damn impressive otherwise, especially on the sound front. This makes me want a Streets of Rage 2 port to the SNES, for the sheer challenge of porting that Koshiro soundtrack to the SNES soundchip.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Also, i'm not sure why the author backported sounds from the PS1 MMX titles into this. Especially the voice samples. They sound completely out of place.
I can totally see why you'd say that (especially as someone who went through the dark years of Nintendo's Mario and Zelda ports to GBA), but I didn't find it so bad in this instance. Maybe because I haven't played much of MMX, but I feel like everything blended together very well.

Oct 25, 2017
This is truly an astounding piece of work!

One thing I noticed is that enemies are faster and more aggressive than in the original, but they have less hit points so they are easier to defeat. Also the Ride Armor is super fragile.

They added voices and some of the sound effects from the X4-X6 games.

The dash fire effect was taken from X3 if I remember correctly, or maybe from Zero's dash in the original.

And I don't remember X exhaling vapor while being tired in Chill Penguin's stage, which is a nice detail.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Really impressive work!

(on a different note, Savaged Regime's music/remixes are amazing)