• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Balderdash

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Troll Account
If you're blasting your trash music in the vicinity of others, as if others don't require silence for anything they want to do, you know what you're doing, and since you don't care about others' quality of life, no one else should feel bad whether or not you feel like shit for being punished for it. It will be briefly humorous, at the very least, for everyone else.

For the many that are prematurely assuming this will unfairly target minorities, it's almost as if you want them to, so you can congratulate yourselves when it becomes true. The thing is, all of you might be exactly right, but we don't know that yet. Also, how would you even know it actually targeted minorities? Assuming Florida's police are corrupt enough, which probably aligns with said assumptions, they could just falsify or make up their stats. And then, assuming they actually recorded videos, retained evidence, and do everything to apply the law prudently, will the negative assumptions still be there? I just don't understand the need to prematurely whine about something that hasn't happened yet, and yet, everyone also whines about there not being enough evidence or that there's too much corruption or some other things that are directly related to automatically assuming others are assholes and lying.

I'm surprised that at least one moderator has prematurely made this about race, somehow, with no presented evidence. Is this how the forum is operated? Will this post be deleted?

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
If you're blasting your trash music in the vicinity of others, as if others don't require silence for anything they want to do, you know what you're doing, and since you don't care about others' quality of life, no one else should feel bad whether or not you feel like shit for being punished for it. It will be briefly humorous, at the very least, for everyone else.

For the many that are prematurely assuming this will unfairly target minorities, it's almost as if you want them to, so you can congratulate yourselves when it becomes true. The thing is, all of you might be exactly right, but we don't know that yet. Also, how would you even know it actually targeted minorities? Assuming Florida's police are corrupt enough, which probably aligns with said assumptions, they could just falsify or make up their stats. And then, assuming they actually recorded videos, retained evidence, and do everything to apply the law prudently, will the negative assumptions still be there? I just don't understand the need to prematurely whine about something that hasn't happened yet, and yet, everyone also whines about there not being enough evidence or that there's too much corruption or some other things that are directly related to automatically assuming others are assholes and lying.

I'm surprised that at least one moderator has prematurely made this about race, somehow, with no presented evidence. Is this how the forum is operated? Will this post be deleted?

Truly abhorrent shit right here. You are just insanely ignorant walking around like you know anything at all. ACAB includes you.

May 14, 2021
On one hand good, because no one needs to hear your shit tier taste in music, but on the other hand this will definitely be enforced arbitrarily. So fuck this law.

Post on your main, coward.

Oct 30, 2017

And here you (were) whining about the "whining." What a loser.

OT: Music is a stupid target. Where are the noise ordinances for the muffler mods that sound like troll farts? I can't stand those fucking things.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The actual application of this law, especially in FL, is only going to be used in a racist manner. But I support the principle of it. I don't even understand how people who crank their music up to 12 can even tolerate sitting in their car like that!

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be fun reading about a black woman in a Prius sent to the hospital with a fractured skull for playing Adele with her windows down.
What about the people who had their ear drums assaulted by "Hello" for five seconds? Are they not the real victims here?

Feb 9, 2018
If you ever drive with your windows down, which I imagine many if not most people do on days when the weather is nice, then having the volume on your radio high enough to hear over the rushing air is probably going to be audible past 25 feet. That's not a very long distance. And let's be honest. How long on average are most people subject to excessively loud music coming from a car? A few seconds at most? It's a minor annoyance at worst, and in my experience one that's not very common. Hardly worth passing a law like this.

Of course, even if it were set to a more reasonable distance, there's no way in hell this law is not going to be abused by racist cops regardless of the audible distance, and it would not surprise me if the law was made for explicitly racist reasons. It is Florida, after all.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
No sir, i dont like it
Should've been immediately sus of this from the jump with "new florida law"

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019
This thread is a great example of how valuable CRT is. On its surface the law seems like an effective anti-nuisance measure, but looking historically at how laws like this are written and enforced with the intention of strengthening white supremacy shows the true intentions of this law.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
In my town "Voceteo" (basically a cabinet facing outside of Jeep Wranglers with 16-24 subwoofers, 18 midranges and dozens of tweeters blasting reggaeton at obnoxious levels) downtown is illegal and if they catch you it's a $500 fine.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
This thread is a great example of how valuable CRT is. On its surface the law seems like an effective anti-nuisance measure, but looking historically at how laws like this are written and enforced with the intention of strengthening white supremacy shows the true intentions of this law.

I mean all of us olds would love it to mean someone can't blast trash EDM at 2am on the way back from Mcdonald's past the nursing home.

But we live in America.

VCFL

Jan 24, 2018
Yawnnnnn, worry about more stuff like protecting kids in school. They are always trying to target us minority but in all honesty, they can kiss my ass. Luckily, I'm not in Florida, I'm in NM and I'm going to bump my subwoofers that I paid for.

Except cops will now use this to abuse their power and stop people even more frequently because "the music was too loud."

This is a shit law that will only further allow the police to harass minorities.
I was just thinking that there was a pretty infamous murder trial some years ago where a guy shot at six black teens and killed one of them because they were playing music loudly in their car at the gas station. Trying to get that guy convicted was a hellish process so I share your mistrust in something like this being enshrined into law.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
The first ticket I ever got was for this back in 08. I didn't realize they stopped doing it.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Gee I can't imagine what groups this targets the most.
It's very convenient that the old white men can legislate against stuff that literally does noone any harm but still manages to oppress young black people.

There's no such thing as institutional racism though people. I'm absolutely certain police won't use this as an excuse to pull over young black drivers and prosecute them pointlessly. Ffs

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
The main issue in Miami are the douche bags with loud exhausts and sports cars revving up in the Downtown area. Don't really every find loud music to be an issue.

Deleted member 10780

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2022
Idk how it is in Florida but here in NYC, loud music isn't that much of an issue.

You know what should be a fine though? Those modifications that make these fuckin Subaru's, Civic's and Infiniti's loud as fuck for no reason while they drive 5mph because how could you ever go faster with all the construction and traffic here?

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Only read about half of the first page and stopped.

It's amazing how many people are ok with giving cops more "legal" reasons to stop people over minor annoyances.

Even if you fucking hate loud ass music from drivers, why would you want police involved?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

It's amazing how much people are ok with giving cops more reasons to stop people over minor annoyances.
There are a lot of people here who are fine with the existence of a police state no matter how much material damage it does, and thus laws that superficially target their sensibilities about what is and isn't appropriate social behavior are reflexively given the green light.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

It's amazing how many people are ok with giving cops more "legal" reasons to stop people over minor annoyances.

Even if you fucking hate loud ass music from drivers, why would you want police involved?

You'd be surprised at how quickly people are willing to give up their rights or throw an entire community under the bus to avoid what is at worse an inconvenience.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

Why indeed.

I'm entirely in favour of this if everywhere copies Paris's automated system. If your vehicle is deliberately loud, either music or the engine/exhaust, you're an obnoxious asshole and everyone hates you.

Speak for yourself. I can't even imagine getting so worked up as to hate someone over such a mild nuisance.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
This is definitely Jim Crow level of racism, to create laws to target and punish Black people on what people can and can't do.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I turn down my music when I'm near other cars or driving through a residential area, but it's honestly hard to tell how loud my bass sounds from the outside. Some of you may be surprised how loud music sounds from the outside compared to inside. Sometimes it just feels good to turn it up a little bit!

Don't most places already have laws for noise ordinance with stuff over 50 something decibels? This is obvious, targeted shit. Fuck off, pigs.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
You don't even have to have your music loud at all to be heard at 25 feet...

I assume they're going to do the same to those obnoxiously loud motorcycles that you can hear 200 feet away, right?

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I'm entirely in favour of this if everywhere copies Paris's automated system. If your vehicle is deliberately loud, either music or the engine/exhaust, you're an obnoxious asshole and everyone hates you.

Yo this is super cool. This or legislation at the manufacturer level is the way to go about this. Noise pollution is a real thing that people need recourse around, but it shouldn't be up to the police to decide when and when to not enforce it and this whole law seems rife with the potential for abuse.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I have extreme sound sensitivities. If I hear two sounds competing at a similar volume it'll make me nauseous. I've lived on a main thoroughfare almost my entire life, and constantly hear cars drive by. It's annoying but this is just another law meant to get black & brown kids into the legal system. Pretty disgraceful, and there's almost certainly some ALEC boilerplate language to send this off to the rest of the fascist states.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be more than fine with this if I didn't already know that this was just another way for cops to target minorities. I hate it when I'm sitting at the gas pump, and someone pulls up thinking the entire world wants to hear their shitty music.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this isn't even an issue anymore where I live. It's all bikes and vehicles with muffler deletes or the equivalent being loud as fuck.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, why does everyone think black people are going to be targeted by this? Am I missing something?

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
I regularly listen to my music loudly when it's just me in the car. I have no idea if anyone can hear it but my side views vibrate so I'm guessing yes.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing dancing out in public is next. Sadly Florida is going to need more than Kevin Bacon to fix that state.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
good luck enforcing this in Miami, the police will have to double their force to keep up.
Wait, why does everyone think black people are going to be targeted by this? Am I missing something?
Because many laws are written specifically to selectively target minorities. Blasting country music? Didn't hear it.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean as someone who plays music with my windows open I don't personally think people 25 feet away can typically hear it unless I've turned it up enough to intentionally do so (aka not about me listening, but about forcing them to listen lol). However, I'm aware this largely isn't about that at all, that's what noise ordinances are for, cops can already do that. This is about giving bullshit reasons to pull over more people on whims.

I do absolutely abhor people who do that though at like 100db. You're an ass.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
good luck enforcing this in Miami, the police will have to double their force to keep up.

Because many laws are written specifically to selectively target minorities. Blasting country music? Didn't hear it.

Gotcha, sadly I live in a conservative state and I hear country music blasting all the time. Makes my head hurt.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
This is one of those laws that my old-arse would be fine with if I didn't think it would immediately be abused by the police.

Im usually cool with whatever people want to do during the day, but having our three year old woken up by window rattling bass at two or three in the morning is a huge bummer, and in Iowa fireworks regulations are not enforced so we've been dealing with constant artillery barrage sounds throughout the night for the last couple of weeks.