• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely going to be selectively enforced, but damn if I don't hate music so loud I can hear it in my car over my already loud ass music. Like…how have you not already lost your hearing?

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
You'd rather be stuck living next to someone blasting music in their house than someone driving by for 5 seconds with music blasting? I used to live next to someone who would practice their electric guitar for hours on end with the window open. Now that was hell on earth

Me personally? I feel like if you can hear your neighbors music you can talk to them like a human being about hours it's okay or not, and then just deal with it, or wear ANC headphones to deal with it. Sleep with a white noise machine on. Lots of solutions. But out in public, I can't easily protect myself from a loud ass car and I'm not about to verbally approach the driver.

As for my situation itself, I don't live in Florida and I live in a new townhouse with such good insulation my neighbors and I hear nothing even though I have a 5.1 sound system I blast for music at random times. Not everyone has that of course but even when I lived in a condo where I could hear my neighbors, I just dealt with the noise as part of city life. What was louder than their music was their shitty dog with ear-piercing barks anytime it noticed a shift in movement from any source.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure the 'loud music' will be accurately measured to make sure it exceeds the specified limits before tickets are issued to minorities and the like.... Surely.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
[Lawmakers should] just target the root of the issue: order subwoofer manufacturers to add a limit to their car subwoofers. All this does is give more reasons to pull over minorities.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Yeah this law is absolute garbage and will be abused so heavily. It's not just within 25 feet of the car. The law reads:

(a) Plainly audible at a distance of 25 feet or more from the motor vehicle; or
(b) Louder than necessary for the convenient hearing by persons inside the vehicle in areas adjoining churches, schools, or hospitals.

That second clause makes it so they can use discretion when they are near a church school or hospital, which is pretty much the entirety of every urban area. This is going to be bad. I'm bringing this up with my local organizing groups.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Fully racist ass shit. But let's ignore the lifted trucks with giant exhausts billowing black smoke and biker rallies that rampage at slow speed, but revving as loud as possible and even being super loud straight from the dealership with nothing modified yet.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I like this but I...

In the abstract, I'd be happy with this kind of regulation if I still lived in a busier place. In practice, this will surely end up just being racist.

edit: also, merely being audible at any level from 25ft away is nowhere near a public nuisance. so yeah this is just bad faith pretense for pulling more people over.
My thoughts!

Yeah. This is why we can't have "nice things" in a way. This law should be fine and equitable, but we just know it's going to be used to harass minorities, sadly. Even here in San Antonio it's a fairly even distribution of hearing asshats with their music way too loud (unless I go to a specific part of town with a specific racial makeup), I really only would see minorities being puled over, I'm sure.

Then again, most of the time when I hear it it's a lifted truck blasting country, so maybe I just wouldn't see such a law put into practice.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Wow. Another law that will be subjectively enforced almost exclusively against non-whites.

Expect to see more of this as we get closer to 50 states legalizing weed. They aren't going to give up their easy traffic stops and daily harassment. We've seen the model in cities around the country already - loitering, jaywalking, littering, and bike-riding can all be selectively enforced to keep Black people scared of certain neighborhoods and to keep pulling millions of dollars from the most vulnerable communities.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you aren't blasting Nuthin' but a "G" Thang in your car with bigass swubwoofers then are you truly living?

Damn I miss the 90's

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Unlikely to be enforced for good reasons.

I'd probably be more amenable to this in cases like apartments if this had to exist

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm against noise pollution, but there's a very high likelihood for laws like these to be abused.

80 year old deaf white lady listening to Barry Manelow on blast while cruising around The Villages? You'll be fine.
19 year old black guy listening to hip hop? The law coming for you, and would like to see inside your vehicle, too.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Imagine having to enforce this.

I feel like you should be vibrating a whole block to get a fine like this. I look forward to the very balanced application of this law.

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
We all know cops are gonna abuse this to harass minorities.

Honestly I wish that was banned too, I fucking hate how loud their engines are. But I'm just cranky waves-fist-at-the-sky Nothing Loud.
Username checks out.
Jk, yeah, I'm like this too. My downstairs neighbors constantly play music so loud that it makes my floor vibrate and having misophonia doesn't help. I hate it.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
The police already abuse their power.
I mean, yeah, exactly?

The overwhelming majority of police action this law will see will be explicitly targeted at fucking with minorities. It's literally designed for that purpose. One of many laws that sound good to people reading a headline and putting in zero thought at all, while actually being deeply racist in intent.

So the goal would be, to, you know, NOT give cops even more tools to pull this shit.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I'll take loud music over loud ass trucks and motorcycles. Loud music has never woken me up overnight or early morning unlike super loud trucks and motorcycles.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Another law that will be used to pull over black men and lock them up. They will use this law as probable cause to pull people over in hopes of busting them on something more serious.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
[Lawmakers should] just target the root of the issue: order subwoofer manufacturers to add a limit to their car subwoofers. All this does is give more reasons to pull over minorities.

the sub doesnt dictate volume. its the headunit and amp (if the headunit doesnt provide enough power)

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's a problem with cops being ACAB, not the law itself. So yes I see the problem given the execution of it. But in the right, equitable application, I see no problem with the details I've read about this law. Though yes, it's Florida, I guess it won't be applied equitably. It'll be a "fine brown/black people" law
You don't even realize you're part of the problem (or maybe you do). This is why I always roll my eyes when people rush into threads to scream "ACAB" like it means anything.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
This law is just going to be used to further harass people who are not White.

I doubt many White People will have cops handing them tickets for blasting music in their cars.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The people cheering in this thread are fools. This law is just another way to imprison minorities. Maybe think outside of yourselves for 10 seconds to see who this disproportionately targets.