• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Streets across the state of Florida are set to get much quieter on Friday when a new law goes into effect. Beginning July 1, drivers can receive a fine of up to $114 for blasting music in their cars.

The new law allows officers to ticket those playing music audible from a minimum 25-foot distance.

For reference, the average car is about 15 feet long, making it within the statute for an officer to ticket the driver in front of them if their music is audible.

These regulations become even stricter within close proximity of churches, schools and hospitals.
www.nbcmiami.com

Florida's New Loud Music Law Goes Into Effect July 1: What to Know

Florida’s new loud music law, which allows police officers to issue $114 fines, goes into effect July 1. Here’s what Florida drivers should know.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind this. Fuck people blasting loud bass in their cars, hurts my ears and I go to concerts. You're not impressing anybody, you're just being a public nuisance.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Can't let folks have nice things. My car is my favorite place to listen to music.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
RIP Little Havana lol

I hate loud crap so this is cool. My issue will be the selective enforcement knowing LEOs.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind this. Fuck people blasting loud bass in their cars, hurts my ears and I go to concerts. You're not impressing anybody, you're just being a public nuisance.
unknown.png

Also, this law isn't about music.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't banning listening to music in your car. It's banning being so loud I can hear your music from 25 feet away. There is no need to have your music that fucking loud in public. Blast music in the privacy of your home.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Except cops will now use this to abuse their power and stop people even more frequently because "the music was too loud."

This is a shit law that will only further allow the police to harass minorities.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I don't feel like I hear people blasting music much anymore

When South Florida local Tamara Armstrong lived in Fort Lauderdale, she said she complained several times about unlawful behavior of drivers, loud exhaust and music noise, and illegal gangs with ATVs threatening the safety of pedestrians and the "sanity of residents."

Illegal gangs roaming around on ATVs?

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure all the white dudes with lifted trucks blasting the latest country anthem are in for a real rude awakening!

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Excessively loud music/bass in cars is annoying- especially in neighborhoods.

But this is Florida. And it'll be used to target specific demographics only. Probably also be used as a get out of jail card for someone who gets so upset they shoot someone over having loud music.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't banning listening to music in your car. It's banning being so loud I can hear your music from 25 feet away. There is no need to have your music that fucking loud in public. Blast music in the privacy of your home.
No, it's giving cops additional excuses to harass minorities regardless of the volume of music in their car.

Jul 1, 2020
$114 isn't high enough. I used to work on a street that was really narrow with a stop at the end of it so it was a huge bottleneck. During the summer at least once a week you would have some jackass with a poorly installed subwoofer blasting music while they were stuck in traffic. You get the bass and the rattling of the trunk and the subwoofer cabinet.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
This is just going to be abused by the Police, it's not going to be doing anyone any favors.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Oof. This is just rife for selective enforcement and abuse.

I don't feel like I hear people blasting music much anymore

Illegal gangs roaming around on ATVs?

I'm not sure how prevalent stunting on ATVs still is, but being an Atlanta-area resident, it's DEFINITELY a thing.
Basically an affordable replacement for motorcycle cruising.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If I could snap a finger and make everyone's car radios quiet as the grave, I'd absolutely do it.

But yeah this is nothing but another excuse for cops to pull people they have a problem with over, not something they'd ever actually enforce consistently. No idea how you'd even prove it in court either way.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's giving cops additional excuses to harass minorities regardless of the volume of music in their car.

Well that's a problem with cops being ACAB, not the law itself. So yes I see the problem given the execution of it. But in the right, equitable application, I see no problem with the details I've read about this law. Though yes, it's Florida, I guess it won't be applied equitably. It'll be a "fine brown/black people" law

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
You'd rather be stuck living next to someone blasting music in their house than someone driving by for 5 seconds with music blasting? I used to live next to someone who would practice their electric guitar for hours on end with the window open. Now that was hell on earth

Oct 25, 2017
In the abstract, I'd be happy with this kind of regulation if I still lived in a busier place. In practice, this will surely end up just being racist.

edit: also, merely being audible at any level from 25ft away is nowhere near a public nuisance. so yeah this is just bad faith pretense for pulling more people over.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I like to play my music loud in my car, but I always turn it down when in residential areas. Don't really care outside of that, as you're not usually sitting still. Seems silly and like they're gonna...

Except cops will now use this to abuse their power and stop people even more frequently because "the music was too loud."

This is a shit law that will only further allow the police to harass minorities.

Do this!

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
At least I wish there was a law like this in my country. It really pisses me off some jerks put their music so loud that it makes me wonder how they can still hear.

Can't comment about Florida though.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
What about those teenagers that blast music from there phone to and from school tho?

I was one of those kids

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
This law is stupid. You can hear a car's engine 25 feet from it. Even moderate, unintrusive music can be heard that far. This is just another law that will selectively be used to fuck with black people.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
You'd rather be stuck living next to someone blasting music in their house than someone driving by for 5 seconds with music blasting? I used to live next to someone who would practice their electric guitar for hours on end with the window open. Now that was hell on earth
I'm sure the goal post will move to specify blast your own Music at home ONLY while wearing headphones.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Well that's a problem with cops being ACAB, not the law itself. So yes I see the problem given the execution of it. But in the right, equitable application, I see no problem with the details I've read about this law. Though yes, it's Florida, I guess it won't be applied equitably. It'll be a "fine brown/black people" law
no, it's a problem with the law. this sucks

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Except we don't live in a world where it is applied in "the right, equitable application." It will not be applied that way. Period. So, cheering a law that you should know will be used to punish minorities is dumb. It's like cheering Voter ID laws as if the intent is really about voter security and not suppressing minority voters.

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
Curious if any of this leads to any change. I figure this is just another excuse to pull over black/brown people.

I live off a busy street in Orlando so I'll be happy not to hear reggaeton blasting every 15 mins.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

Yep. Knowing our cops this is exactly what will happen. We should never celebrate anything that empowers the police to brutalize our marginalized and poor communities.

I have a white friend who was dating a black guy and they got pulled over one day and the police officer's first remarks were "Are you okay mam?"

Disgusting pigs, the lot of em.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
In the abstract, I'd be happy with this kind of regulation if I still lived in a busier place. In practice, this will surely end up just being racist.

edit: also, merely being audible at any level from 25ft away is nowhere near a public nuisance. so yeah this is just bad faith pretense for pulling more people over.
Basically agree with all of this

Hate people who blast music of any kind

Odds are this will mostly hurt minorities, white redneck trash will just be asked to turn it down if they're even stopped at all.

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
This law has such racist undertones.

Where is the law that targets motorcycles - those things are twice as loud as any music coming from cars.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Thank FUCKING god! People out here with bigger sound systems in their car than some stadiums have. It's fucking crazy, especially during Spring Break, etc.