• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

For many longtime PlayStation fans, the original Final Fantasy VII was a groundbreaking, genre-defining experience. We're naturally eager to learn more about the fully reimagined Final Fantasy VII Remake, which dramatically updates both the gameplay and the storytelling of the beloved original.

So when we received this latest batch of screens we asked our friends at Square Enix if they could provide some context for a few of them. Take a peek at the captions below these screenshots, then browse the full gallery below.

Each weapon has its own unique weapon abilities that increase in proficiency the more they are used. When an ability's proficiency level reaches the maximum, that ability is then learned by the wielder and can be used when wielding any weapon.

Classic Mode can be activated by selecting "CLASSIC" from the difficulty menu. In Classic Mode, party members will act automatically, with the ATB gauge filling up as they do so. In this mode, the player only needs to select which abilities, magic, and items they will use their ATB charges for. This brings the feel of the gameplay closer to the menu-based battles from the original FFVII but with the amazing immersive graphics of the remake.

It is also possible to revert to direct control at any time during Classic Mode by pushing buttons on the controller.
The triangle button activates each character's unique ability. Cloud's unique ability is to switch between different fighting styles. He can switch between "Operator Mode" which has a good balance between attack and defense, and "Punisher Mode" [pictured] which is geared heavily towards offense. In Punisher Mode, Cloud's movement speed is reduced, but his basic square button attacks are upgraded to even mightier blows.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chief O'Brien got a new look in the DS9 remake
visionary_036.jpg

Things I like:
  • A difficulty slider? NICE!
  • Chocobos and Moogle! (Feathers look a bit rough)
  • That darts mode looks to have been made for PSVR/Move support, but with controller support too.
Things I don't like:
The dart board looks garbage in the full screen image. Aliased to hell, and looks like they gave up on bits of it. A minor quibble.

Last edited:

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
These screenshots are absolutely beautiful. Loving Aerith's house and the Moogle and Chocobo summon, of course!

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Each weapon has its own unique weapon abilities that increase in proficiency the more they are used. When an ability's proficiency level reaches the maximum, that ability is then learned by the wielder and can be used when wielding any weapon. "

Thats the FF9 ability system.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow some new awesome information about the evolution system. This isn't about the screen only.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Does the March 2020 date seem realistic? Can't believe it's finally happening

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
i'm hoping that the midgar focused setting of 'part 1' means we're not stuck with a game that's basically grey and green 90% of the time.

glad to see nail bat's in the game though! wonder if that's all of cloud's weapons, considering the episodic nature.

Does the March 2020 date seem realistic? Can't believe it's finally happening

they'll really not want to miss march because i assume their financial year ends before april and avengers isn't out til may (right?)

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
i'm hoping that the midgar focused setting of 'part 1' means we're not stuck with a game that's basically grey and green 90% of the time.

glad to see nail bat's in the game though! wonder if that's all of cloud's weapons, considering the episodic nature.
Was that that weapon that give you more exp or was it the rusty sword with holds in it?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Cloud with those baby arms. Carrying that big ass sword. Fantasy indeed. Got 'em

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Classic difficulty being the same as Easy is probably not gonna sit well with some.

Classic should be a separate game play mode not tied to the difficulty.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Looks absolutely beautiful! When SE is on it's A game they sure know how to produce some of the most stunning looking games ever.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Looks like they've trotted out the same ability learning system they had for FF9 and the FFTA games.

They really love that system.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really trying to fight the urge to buy a Pro just for this game...but I'm slowly losing that fight.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
"Here we see Cloud's Buster Sword upgrade screen. The different options allow you to improve the wielder's status or increase the number of Materia slots available."

This is probably the best part of this new info. It means you can buff previously underpowered or unused weapons possibly. But we'll see how far that goes.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Holy fuck, March 2020 will be The Month of the Generation.

FF7 Remake
Animal Crossing
New FREAKING Half-Life

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
The gold standard that RE2 set for remakes is about to get blasted the fuck away
I mean literally no other franchise or studio can do this so that means almost nothing in the grand scheme of things.

What capcom was able to do with what they have is still ultimately commendable and a remake of a beloved game that is feature complete and updated for the modern era.

Ff7 is not nly going to be part one of a game that has now been needlessly stretched out by a company known for high end graphics already and remaking one of the biggest names in RPGs period, but a huge project spanning multiple teams and tons of squareenix resources. This HAS to do good.

I know it's not meant as such, but talking about blowing away RE2 like it's some competition or like they can really be compared when they're very different products is kinda taking the conversation to a bad place.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The gold standard that RE2 set for remakes is about to get blasted the fuck away

I remember playing RE2 Remake in late January and wondering if Square was sweating a bit. RE2 Remake just seemed to do everything right. It was true to the original, but added a good deal of freshness. It lived up, IMO, to the incredibly high watermark left by REmake. Back in Jan, VIIR had been dark for years. I knew it was going to be a big, complex production, but even I started wondering "maybe Square should have gone a bit simpler with this remake? It's guaranteed to be divisive and the more ambitious, the more divisive. RE2 Remake seems almost universally loved."

Now I'm not wondering that at all. Yes, RE2 Remake is outstanding. Yes, it honors the original very well and is deserving of its GOTY nominations. But VIIR just seems to be on a different level. It looks glorious, and when it's all said and done and when ____ number of parts have fully released and the project is complete it will be a remake mountain that may never be topped. I mean, I was optimistic for this remake from the beginning, but everything I've seen and heard has just completely exceeded my expectations.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I mean literally no other franchise or studio can do this so that means almost nothing in the grand scheme of things.

What capcom was able to do with what they have is still ultimately commendable and a remake of a beloved game that is feature complete and updated for the modern era.

Ff7 is not nly going to be part one of a game that has now been needlessly stretched out by a company known for high end graphics already and remaking one of the biggest names in RPGs period, but a huge project spanning multiple teams and tons of squareenix resources. This HAS to do good.

I know it's not meant as such, but talking about blowing away RE2 like it's some competition or like they can really be compared when they're very different products is kinda taking the conversation to a bad place.
I didn't mean it like that at all. RE2 is actually my GOTY. And yes, they're completely different types of remakes, I'll agree on that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
God, every time we see screenshots of this game it just feels so disappointing because everything looks the damn same. Zero visual variation outside of the church.

Cool that they brought back the FFIX weapon ability system though. That shit was awesome back in the day.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Every other game in the market can straight go fuck itself as dar as Im concerned. Oh My God am I thirsty for this.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
God, every time we see screenshots of this game it just feels so disappointing because everything looks the damn same. Zero visual variation outside of the church.

Cool that they brought back the FFIX weapon ability system though. That shit was awesome back in the day.

I honestly didn't think it was emotionally possible for you to get even more disappointed with this game.
Impressive. ;)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly didn't think it was emotionally possible for you to get even more disappointed with this game.
Impressive. ;)

I just want to see something interesting, environments-wise. It's all metal. Everything is metal. Can they show us one actually new location to justify making us wait three to four years just to be able to play as Vincent, Cid, Yuffie, Red XIII and Cait Sith?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Environment wise it does look a bit samey, which is sad compared to the visual diversity of VII OG. I still hope that the gamescom CG of upper plate Midgar is an indication that we'll get to visit cause it does look extremely different to the Midgar we know

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Square: Shows Cozy houses and Beautiful Churches.

Planetsmaher: "Metal everywhere!!"

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Those screenshots look amazing! So much detail and they are nailing the atmosphere. I haven't felt this excited about a videogame in a while.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Square: Shows Cozy houses and Beautiful Churches.

Planetsmaher: "Metal everywhere!!"

Am I supposed to be excited by the fact we're STILL only being shown content from the first hour and a half of the game? Aeris' house and Aeris' church aren't exactly mindblowingly new or surprising locations.