• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
good call ... only other thing I can think of is during the reactor 5 raid in the tunnels and it's just a generic enemy.
I think it is a generic enemy. I had a look at the wiki list of FFVII enemies but nothing jumped out at me as the inspiration for that enemy outside of some that appear later on in the game.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm literally squinting to see what the offending difference is.
you realize those pictures I posted are both from the same game right?

Unless you're joking, I'll start from the top:

1. Her head size in relation to her body
2. Her nick is really thin
3. Her arms dont fit her body (too thin like noodles)
4. Her face looks weird. Like it is a baby face on a woman's body.
5. There's also a weird faux highlight on her iris. I have no idea why this is here if they are using UE4. There is no light hitting her eye that way.

especially this photo:

EFPSGoHXsAMS1_I

There's something wrong with her eyelids. And her eyes look dead. It's like they tried to combine realistic features with anime ones. It didnt work.

WIth this tifa:

maxresdefault.jpg

Her facial proportions look more relaxed/balanced. Her eyelids blend better into her face. Her eyes dont look dead. Her shoulders are wider/meatier. They didnt overdo it with too much detail on her face, leading to a creepy looking character.

EDIT: also the Remake version's hair is garbage. It looks trashy compared to dissidia's version.

EDIT2: again look at her arms!

EFPQ-bhX4AIke_3

Look at how it doesnt fit her body. That's so fucking weird.

EDIT AGAIN: Why are her hands so tiny like Trumps?

Last edited:

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never thought fucking up remaking a game was possible, but the last few years have shown its fucking easy sadly. This looks completely and utterly on point, the characters just all look right.

Some people are gonna lose their shit when high def anime voiced waifu Aerith gets bumped off

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I do find Tifa face looks weird in the in game render, different LOD? She looks good in the render though.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe Square is making a game of this quality in this day and age. They really turned a corner.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I'm currently playing through the original and to see the environments and characters realised in today's visuals is really cool.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Im sorry -- Tifa looks completely off. She just looks wrong in every screen I see her in. She either looks psychotic or creepy. Cloud, Barrett, and ESPECIALLY Aerith look so fucking perfect that it just makes me said everytime I see Tifa. I can't believe everyone translated so well except her. I find her Dissidia version to be better.

Dissidia one has the same issue as DOA as it looks like a mixture of anime and realism, it wouldn't fit in Remake. Remake looks more real and it looks totally faithful from the OG.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Goddamn Tifa looks so attractive, like so nice to look at 0_0

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im sorry -- Tifa looks completely off. She just looks wrong in every screen I see her in. She either looks psychotic or creepy. Cloud, Barrett, and ESPECIALLY Aerith look so fucking perfect that it just makes me said everytime I see Tifa. I can't believe everyone translated so well except her. I find her Dissidia version to be better.

5. There's also a weird faux highlight on her iris. I have no idea why this is here if they are using UE4. There is no light hitting her eye that way.

especially this photo:

EFPSGoHXsAMS1_I

There's something wrong with her eyelids. And her eyes look dead. It's like they tried to combine realistic features with anime ones. It didnt work.

WIth this tifa:

maxresdefault.jpg

Her facial proportions look more relaxed/balanced. Her eyelids blend better into her face. Her eyes dont look dead. Her shoulders are wider/meatier. They didnt overdo it with too much detail on her face, leading to a creepy looking character.

EDIT: also the Remake version's hair is garbage. It looks trashy compared to dissidia's version.

EFPQ-bhX4AIke_3

...Seriously?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I sorta see what you mean, as I often feel some ambivalence for Square Enix's idea of "realism". Yes yes, they're all very pretty people...

...But, like, their iris's are huge (like anime!), their chins are super tiny, and the guys are buff and the girls are crazy petite.

Final-Fantasy-7-Remake-Aerith-Honey-Bee-Inn.jpg

...yet somehow people were still Photoshopping Aerith to look even more idealized (see here).

But anyways. I get torn on it since it's pretty far removed from being ""proper realism"" (some designs and character animations being pretty absurd), buuuut I do like that they have some sense of SE's personal style to their models -- so I let it go.

Last edited:

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Huh. Contrary to some of the opinions above, I actually think Tifa is looking a LOT better in these latest shots than she did in the last trailer.

I was getting major uncanny valley vibes from her before, but that's gone now. Cool.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

especially this photo:

EFPSGoHXsAMS1_I

WIth this tifa:

maxresdefault.jpg

EFPQ-bhX4AIke_3

... I just don't know what to say. This actually reads like a reddit troll.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

Are you being serious or...

... I just don't know what to say. This actually reads like a reddit troll.

Ah. Yes.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Looking great. :) I'm glad they seem to be able to render hair much less pixelated now. That was horrendous in FFXV on base PS4 as well as PS4 Pro. Ruined every cutscene.

Deleted member 2699

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

especially this photo:

EFPSGoHXsAMS1_I

WIth this tifa:

maxresdefault.jpg

EFPQ-bhX4AIke_3

This is some real "sharp knees, 3/10, would not bang" energy here.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Tifa looks on point in these screenshots.

I think in motion she looks off sometimes. I think it's her eyes when there's very little lighting and they look bugged out. SE usually is the best in the biz when it comes to character models, so it stands out.

Also, the menu really reminds me of the XIII menu with the Crystarium. Makes sense since it's the same studio.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
As a lot of other users have said, everything and everyone looks gorgeous. Even the menu!

...stupid sexy materia menu.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Also, I was so happy to see this.

EFPSFy5X4AENpK1

It's the same general location. Anything showing off stuff from 2015 FFVII Remake is awesome.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Remember that year and half period where this game's development was radio silent and had a lot of people worried?

It's easy to forget now.

Red XIII

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NY

especially this photo:

EFPSGoHXsAMS1_I

WIth this tifa:

maxresdefault.jpg

EFPQ-bhX4AIke_3

wow you're so picky lol

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I think the reason for the varying head shapes and stuff are the same things that happened in Kingdom Hearts 1/2 on the PS2 but to a lesser disparity. You have the ingame models, higher fidelity in game models, and then CG models, which might describe the differences. IT's interesting I could have sworn in the boss fight with Aps that Aeris's model changes in the process of the zoom up to her model but that could just be Youtube being youtube or draw distances/rendering a higher LoD model as you zoom in.

Either way there's definitely some differences in the various models used at different times in the publicity material. It's very odd.