• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
There will be no open world - wait for it

I think we will. Look at the type of rendering that is already possible in RDR2 and Death Stranding. I think fewer cut corners will be needed to create those sort of worlds will be needed next gen with massively increased processing power. As long as we have various ways of fast travel and aswesome locations where the story takes place, I am down for an open world format. The Witcher 3 managed to marry open world with cinematic story telling.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Death Stranding and Witcher arent an entire planet tho. An open world VII will be a weird thing to see in 202X if you have an entire continent which is just a farm and two cities.

An overworld like WOFF gets around that by saying it's an abstraction

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding and Witcher arent an entire planet tho. An open world VII will be a weird thing to see in 202X if you have an entire continent which is just a farm and two cities.

Isn't this how most, if not every Final Fantasy with an overworld has handled that? I to IX all did this until they got rid of the concept of an overworld with X. Or am I not following the "abstraction" remark clearly?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Isn't this how most, if not every Final Fantasy with an overworld has handled that? I to IX all did this until they got rid of the concept of an overworld with X. Or am I not following the "abstraction" remark clearly?
Yeah, but it sounds like people want a FFXV style open world

By abstraction I mean that the distance and scale isn't real. While in FFXV it tries to appear real

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
DQ11 style is the best we can hope for. Large zones between towns and a separate/smaller scale map for vehicles.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but it sounds like people want a FFXV style open world

You'd assume they would have played FFXV and realized that an empty, lifeless open world compromised so much of the game. People want more resources put into that?

I haven't played DQXI enough to understand the examples of that being cited, but if it's anything like DQVIII, I think that's the best of all approaches.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
You'd assume they would have played FFXV and realized that an empty, lifeless open world compromised so much of the game. People want more resources put into that?

I haven't played DQXI enough to understand the examples of that being cited, but if it's anything like DQVIII, I think that's the best of all approaches.
DQXI is basically FFXII-esque zones + traditional overworld for vehicles.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

It being the whole plant should not matter .
Just depends on the scale they do the continents, they don't have to be huge in size.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah that is a fair point...But they can scale it significant. Yeah, I am very interested to see how they tackle it. I definitely don't want a comparatively characterless world like FFXV...but I think it has been done much better in other games, such as RDR2 and Witcher 3. Also large distances wouldn't be an issue if you can get vehicles that are fast. Streaming will be much less of a problem than it was this gen.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Looks amazing. But episodic release is a big turn off for me. Will wait for the complete edition on PS5 lol.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Man this is looking so much better than expected. Shameful that Square is carving the game up and selling it in pieces, though. I won't touch it until it's done or the first installment is dirt cheap.

Also, I'll wait for PC so I can turn off that fog effect and lock down 60fps.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Now that someone else brought it up, I really hope FFVII's overworld is basically a copy of how DQVIII did its overworld. It felt great running around, and also worked for flight.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is really the most impressive thing I have seen from square in 20 years.

I am just dumbfounded how good this looks. Where did this team come from?

Watching this again, I'm just so excited!

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Music during the Aps fight

That's the remake's trailer version of the battle theme mixed in with Crisis Core's rendition from its credits.

Also I might be wrong about this but from the sound of it from the gameplay, the one used during the Aps fight is slightly different to the one we've heard in the trailer?

Really can't wait to hear the full soundtrack in all its glory. It's going to be amazing based on what we've heard so far!

Last edited:

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
People still complaining about this being in parts lol

People so defensive about a game that isn't even out yet that they complain about valid criticism lol

Sorry Charlie, but I'm not paying full shot knowing that you're getting to be continue'd from the outset. Worse yet, Square has established a terrible record with getting games released in a timely manner so who knows how long we're waiting after the first small taste. I'm not rewarding any of that no matter how much the bits we've seen have surpassed my expectations.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm totally fine with an overworld for the next parts of the remake. Make it huge, detailed and full of hidden nooks and secrets. I don't need a full open world.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People so defensive about a game that isn't even out yet that they complain about valid criticism lol

Sorry Charlie, but I'm not paying full shot knowing that you're getting to be continue'd from the outset. Worse yet, Square has established a terrible record with getting games released in a timely manner so who knows how long we're waiting after the first small taste. I'm not rewarding any of that no matter how much the bits we've seen have surpassed my expectations.

Who says it's a small taste? Was FFXIII a small taste because you didn't immediately get XIII-2 and Lightning Returns with it?

They're full length games, just like FF7 Remake Part 1

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I think it be more like FFXII map with anchor points for the Highwind. The overworld map a thing of the past.

People will have to start thinking this is an overarching story set over multiple games, a lot like Harry Potter, which builds up over a number books. I like that they are doing expanding the universe of the game.

Part 2 won't take as long I fully expecting to be playing it before March 2022. Part 2 I am sure is well into production.

Last edited:

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

You do you bro. Shameful isn't a word I'd use is all. We've known it's going to be more than a single game since it was first announced. Just feels like people are shouting at a wall

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I think we will. Look at the type of rendering that is already possible in RDR2 and Death Stranding. I think fewer cut corners will be needed to create those sort of worlds will be needed next gen with massively increased processing power. As long as we have various ways of fast travel and aswesome locations where the story takes place, I am down for an open world format. The Witcher 3 managed to marry open world with cinematic story telling.

the problem is that FF7 never had an open world. it's "overworld", just as many similar games from that era, is pretty much a glorified interactive destination picker, with some random battles thrown in. If you strip away the battles, you basically spend 30 seconds to maybe a bunch of minutes going from A to B.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
That's the remake's trailer version of the battle theme mixed in with Crisis Core's rendition from its credits.

Also I might be wrong about this but from the sound of it from the gameplay, the one used during the Aps fight is slightly different to the one we've heard in the trailer?

Really can't wait to hear the full soundtrack in all its glory. It's going to be amazing based on what we've heard so far!

Yeah probably. Not sure how someone would get the actual rip.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I really don't think a XV style open world is the way to go with this. The narrative is too linear and there's just too much of it.
Let's presume for a second that this is a trilogy. I know its not confirmed but I think it's a likely scenario that they'll try to turn this into a trilogy, given theyve compared this to the XIII trilogy. And I think this project will wear out its welcome if it goes beyond three parts, to be completely honest.

That means that the second game would likely end at either the City of The Ancients or The Northern Crater.

Assuming City of the Ancients, That would mean that the game has to cover this much ground:
Kalm/Nibelheim Flashback - Mythril Mine- Junon and Junon Boat Sequence - Costa Del Sol - Mt Corel - Gold Saucer/Prison - Cosmo Canyon - Nibelheim - Rocket Town - Return to Gold Saucer for Keystone - Temple of the Ancients - Bone Village - City of the Ancients.

You may be able to trim down some of those, but you'll probably have to find a place to put Wutai in there too. Point is that this is a lot of ground to cover, especially with the production values they're going for. I just don't see them covering that much ground while also developing a massive, detailed open world. XV had an open world as a selling point, and its story and structure suffered heavily for it.

If we compare this to XII, which uses a segmented, zoned world, I think it's more comparable (using IGN's walkthrough as a reference):
Nalbina Fortress Intro - Rabanastre - Giza Plains - Rabanastre Palace - Bhujerba - Lhusu Mines - Leviathan - Sand Sea - Tomb of the Raithwall - Golmore Jungle - Eruyt Village - A Long-Ass trek to Archades - Archade - Draklor Lab - The Feywood - The Ridorana Cataract - Pharos Sirius - Finale

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
the problem is that FF7 never had an open world. it's "overworld", just as many similar games from that era, is pretty much a glorified interactive destination picker, with some random battles thrown in. If you strip away the battles, you basically spend 30 seconds to maybe a bunch of minutes going from A to B.
Can you imagine an overworld like the one in WoFF or NNK2?

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Man this is looking so much better than expected. Shameful that Square is carving the game up and selling it in pieces, though. I won't touch it until it's done or the first installment is dirt cheap.

Also, I'll wait for PC so I can turn off that fog effect and lock down 60fps.

I mean how the fuck do they manage to do a full Remake of this Game with the quality they are showing? How the Fuck is this possible? With 15 years of development?

SE stated many times that this is the only way a Remake is possible and i'm grateful they don't listen to people like you and release a half assed version of a remake just to fill in the whole game.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I mean how the fuck do they manage to do a full Remake of this Game with the quality they are showing? How the Fuck is this possible? With 15 years of development?

SE stated many times that this is the only way a Remake is possible and i'm grateful they don't listen to people like you and release a half assed version of a remake just to fill in the whole game.

Just run it like the Star Citizen campaign.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
This is really the most impressive thing I have seen from square in 20 years.

I am just dumbfounded how good this looks. Where did this team come from?

Watching this again, I'm just so excited!
It's the FFXIII team with better leadership (a hands on kitase and nomura). Team was always there as was the potential

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Man can't belive there are suckers who are gonna buy FF16 when you know there gonna make 17 right after.

Are those dumbasses who keep going see Star Wars or Avengers movies.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Adding battle versions for the background music was such a good decision. Even though "Those who Fight" is amazing, just looping that would have been too repetitive imo.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You really, really love reiterating this point, huh.
2d2.jpg

You do PR for Square Enix? Lmao.

Imagine believing that.
It's not really an episodic release like a Telltale game. You won't be seeing FF7R2 for many years.

You can maybe expect a complete edition by the time the PS6 is around.