• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So a new patch for FIFA 21 was released a few hours ago, and apparently it added some code which in the future could enable EA to block access to Ultimate Team in certain countries, probably due to local gambling laws.

I guess that EA has decided that instead of just not selling its in-game currency in those countries they'll just block the entire mode.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"due to a demand from the authorities of your region" is certainly some "We're not the bad guys here!" language.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they'll try the same kind of propaganda as Epic did with Apple. If the UK decides to ban loot boxes it will be a massive dent for FIFA.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
They're trying to get their fanbase to riot? The 'solution' is simple EA, but I guess you're too greedy to 'fix' it.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I bet EA will try really hard to prevent VPN circumvention of these rules....

But hey, it's still a W if it's harder to waste money on FUT now.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'll try the same kind of propaganda as Epic did with Apple. If the UK decides to ban loot boxes it will be a massive dent for FIFA.

Yeah this just reeks of that.

Especially considering in Belgium the mode is accessible, only you can't access packs/add FIFA points.

sk4vn

Apr 11, 2018
Is it legal to do that? Some users are now blocked access to a huge part of the game without warnings before making the purchase.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
The language of that is a disgrace. It's basically just "We did nothing wrong, the nasty government just won't let us give you this amazing feature"

I mean they could just remove the Ultimate Team option entirely to stop it being selected, but they instead chose to try and shift the blame.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Off topic, but is there a sports game that has worse A.I. than this game? I can't believe I spent $25 on it.

I just had someone dribble with their goalie, as if he were Messi, from his goal post all the way to the other side and juked my goalie and scored a goal.

I've had players in the box move AWAY from a deflected ball coming their way.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be a dent for EAs revenues but won't make a difference to the games sales.

It probably would actually. Ultimate Team is extremely popular and there would undoubtedly be users who feel far less interested in playing the game if it weren't there.

IMO if the UK ban loot boxes EA will change Ultimate Team so it is legal but can still make them a fortune. I would imagine EA have been working on plans like that for years.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What a surprise this would be their approach..
I wonder if they'll charge less for Fifa in these countries now despite now literally lacking less content?..

Its not really a solution though, if anything more and more countries will follow suit eventually and they've had plenty of warning signs they wont be able to get away with it forever, should have at least prepared a plan b.

kinezu

Nov 12, 2017
Wondering how they will sell the "special" editions that come with FUT goodies in those countries

Sep 11, 2020
Just found out that the Spanish government is also planning to restrict lootboxes and include them as gambling. Nice. The more countries ban this type of stuff, the better, since the industry has shown time and time again that hoping for self-imposed restrictions is wishful thinking. Hopefully with more countries working on legislation in this direction, the European Union takes notice and pushes a directive so all countries have to implement similar measures.

I imagine that, from a legal point of view, Gacha and lootboxes will be considered the same, since it's the same shit with a different packaging. So double nice.

Nuke these predatory models out of orbit.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they go this route rather than block FUT entirely. I wouldn't buy the game if I couldn't access FUT.

It would make sense to do it. But yeah, if they're scared the dominoes are now starting to fall, manufacturing some outrage while putting the blame on the governments would be the (disgusting) thing to do.

Wondering how they will sell the "special" editions that come with FUT goodies in those countries

Again taking Belgium as the example, you cannot get the special editions there.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Instead of fixing the broken gatcha just block it and claim the authorities made them do it.

Gotta love corporations

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This makes sense: they aren't going to give up on their golden goose because Belgium and the Netherlands (and a few others) put comparatively minor fines on their use. But this is the start: if bigger markets like Spain, France, Germany, and/or UK do the same, then the profitability of the mode takes a major hit. In those circumstances, different actions by EA might come about.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
In before VPN companies start renaming services "FIFA VPN" and charging £20 a month extra for them...

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
I expected this to happen - they aren't going to remove it from every region unless every region classifies FUT as gambling.

Nov 1, 2017
Incredible. Rather than maybe rework Fifa UT to be less predatory, shitty and, well, illegal in certain countries they will just block it one by one until enough countries ban this kind of shit that they realise it makes more sense financial to actually do something about it. EA really are the worst.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
FUT probably is their biggest revenue source. Imagine other countries like germany also banning loot boxes and so on.
Most of their other recent games were flops to say the least.
Without their sports games EA would already be in big trouble.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
they're totally gonna try the whole fortnite versus apple campaign when they get denied in more countries aren't they

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
FUT probably is their biggest revenue source. Imagine other countries like germany also banning loot boxes and so on.
Most of their other recent games were flops to say the least.
Without their sports games EA would already be in big trouble.
Oh no, EA's CEO might have less yatch money if they have to rely on actual sales of FIFA rather than gambling addicts money

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I'm not surprised. I don't see how they could tweak it in any way to make it work with both its current model, and another. It simply isn't worth it for them to try to make a separate version where only those with the tweak UT play on their own separate version to the rest of the player base.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised. I don't see how they could tweak it in any way to make it work with both its current model, and another. It simply isn't worth it for them to try to make a separate version where only those with the tweak UT play on their own separate version to the rest of the player base.

I suspect the biggest reservation is that if you offer two models, one is almost certainly going to be significantly preferable and that could lead to major backlash. It's actually quite likely that the loot box scheme will seem preferable to a majority of users because loot box supported games tend to feel more generous if you are a non paying or low paying user.

Actually implementing two different schemes is probably well within their means. I just think that it will be a case of the loot box bans reaching a critical mass at which point it will flip to a different monetisation model.