• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
This is great- thanks for giving us the options and listening to feedback. Appreciate the thread laying it all out and inviting discussion too!

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Appreciate your opening statement and response in general + the options Delphine. Thanks!

I think the under titles option looks so, so much better. Great work there. The difference between shades on the tags can be quite subtle between certain tags (at least on my screen), and coupled with the fact that some different tags share the same color, maybe it would be good to try the same color and shade for all tags?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Simply editing the 1st post of the thread should allow to add a tag to it!
Sorry to be annoying but I don't see the option on the top editing tools or the bottom threadmark/thread submitting options when I edit. Is it a code I add to the post? Or something that shows up after you click "save"?

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I would suggest making the tags different colors. Not just flat vs gradient, I mean totally different hues.

The tags all blend together as is, and with the rest of the UI also being purple, I think the overall page lacks contrast.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Under the thread titles is much muuuuccch better! However, after leaving them on for a while, I personally found them a bit too busy still with such bold coloring, so I ultimately turned them off (srsly, thank y'all so much for making that an option!).
I dunno how much tweaking plans there are but if y'all made a version of the tags where they were all a single neutral color (something like the grey of the rumor tag, and how it looks nice and subtle when on the light theme) then they would be legit perfect for me and I'd leave them on. I just prefer the simple, clean readability of text only forum thread lists, so the bright purple tags are a lot. And that way I could still easily check what tag a thread falls under, without the tags distracting me when I'm skimming through the thread titles.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Thank you so much! I dislike the graphical tags and think it makes the site 'too busy' looking. I've disabled tags and couldn't be happier. Thanks again!

Edit: Also, get off my lawn you damn kids!

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
A great balance. As someone who likes the tags visually for instant confirmation that a story is factual or rumored is very helpful. Love the option for people who don't like the change though.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
While I wish communication had been better when this started, I'm very happy that the feedback was taken, and there are multiple options AND a detailed post explaining everything. I had been using adblock extensions to block out the tags, I will be taking those off and trying the different options.

dimelo

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
MIA
The rollout of this feature and mod response was terrible. Hopefully this is how you handle updates from now on. That being said, thanks for giving us the option to disable the tags.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Can talk to the tech team about if it's possible/feasible to implement that natively but it'd be a different system than the tag one. Could always do a Trump tag, but he comes up in a LOT of threads, even ones that aren't explicitly about him. And in the same way, other sensitive topics come up in threads that aren't strictly about them.

I do like the idea, though. It'd be a good way to support members with traumas who want to take a really rigorous approach. I dunno how technically feasible it is, and I am still worried about misuse, though it might be worth it anyway.

That would be great, because the existing userscript method of ignoring threads by keyword doesn't really work reliably, at least not in Firefox. It uses a temporary storage location for your settings, so they can be erased by the browser without warning.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks good! With the tag under the thread title, it doesn't mess with the spacing caused by having the Hide Thread script installed.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
First, thank you staff for making this thread and directing people towards it. Having a place to spitball and talk about the feature seems to have produced generally helpful or positive results so I hope this encourages a similar approach in the future.

Second, thank you for the quick updates to the feature! Under the title is great and is an immediate improvement. I echo what Poodlestrike said and think turning all tags into one color would actually help with quickly scrolling and parsing the different forums.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Thanks for the post and for adding options. It's very appreciated. I also really like that more tags are planned to being added; that will definitely increase their usefulness.

A suggestion: I don't know if it's feasible, but an option to remove tags from the Alerts dropdown would be welcomed. Because nothing there is aligned, the purple dots scattered around causes the same visual distraction as having them at the front of thread titles. It's not as big of an issue as when they were at the beginning of titles, so I'll understand if it's something that just has to be lived with, but I would be very grateful if there was an option to hide them there, too.

inYZ71V.png

I would like to second this suggestion. If it's possible, of course.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
I'd prefer for a display option that is just text with no colour like "[Tag] This is the Tag-Thread" (or even better with the colourless tag below the thread title.

As for additional tags, I'd love one to filter out all those "Would you rather do insane choice A or insane choice B" off topic threads, as well something to filter out short ramblings from people.

And to perhaps also move a bit more away from megathreads, how about giving the individual sports their own tags? I'd love a slightly more focussed approach on individual news rather than having everything be centered in the Hangouts-threads inbetween regulars of the thread debating their favourite movie, song, car in between of actual talk about sports news. Tags could be a great aid for that without disturbing the flow for other people. But then again I don't care about some sports, and could filter those out too to not clutter the thread list.

And in general a tag about the kind of content of a thread like positive/negative? Maybe one for (famous peoples) deaths.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
Just chiming in to say thanks for listening to the feedback. Making them optional this way is much better.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I want to say thank you for creating this thread and listening to the feedback of members. I enjoyed the tags from the get go, but I really like that they're under the thread title now. At this point, we need more tags (which you guys are working on) and more colors or neutral colors for the tags. I know purple is part of the color scheme for the site, but some hues of purple hurt my eyes or don't mesh well with dark mode.

Current draft list after some suggestions:

Gaming News
Entertainment News
US Politics (starting point, will probably add more in this vein as people ask)
Sales Data
Deals
Weekend
OT
Rumor
Spoiler
Anime
Sports
Music
Movies
Comics
TV
Retro
Star Wars
Dragonball
Wrestling
Xbox
PC
Nintendo
PlayStation
Trump
Marvel
DC
Live Stream (for user-run livestreams, would get turned off when not running) (Alternatively, just LIVE, for various events, shows, or streams)
Group Watch
Book Club
Edit - Currently suggested additions:

LTTP
RTTP
Reviews
Help/Advice
Eminem (do we really have that many of these?)
TLOU/Naughty Dog (reluctant here, because thread gluts around game releases are just something that happens - if it's still a perennial discussion point after some time's passed, like Star Wars is, we can revisit, I think)

Honestly all of these tags (except Eminem and TLOU/Naughty Dog) should be added. Most of these hit the general topics.
Here's some more to possibly add:

Art
Programming (could fall under the Help/Advice tag)
Giveaway (used for one off giveaway threads outside of the main giftbot thread)
Tech News (this could be useful if we decide to get rid of the general News tag)
Opinion (for things that aren't really news, website opinion pieces. Perhaps there's a better name for this tag?)

I think that's all I have for now. I'll make another post if I can think of more, but I think the initial list is really good.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I want to say thank you for creating this thread and listening to the feedback of members. I enjoyed the tags from the get go, but I really like that they're under the thread title now. At this point, we need more tags (which you guys are working on) and more colors or neutral colors for the tags. I know purple is part of the color scheme for the site, but some hues of purple hurt my eyes or don't mesh well with dark mode.

Honestly all of these tags (except Eminem and TLOU/Naughty Dog) should be added. Most of these hit the general topics.
Here's some more to possibly add:

Art
Programming (could fall under the Help/Advice tag)
Giveaway (used for one off giveaway threads outside of the main giftbot thread)
Tech News (this could be useful if we decide to get rid of the general News tag)
Opinion (for things that aren't really news, website opinion pieces. Perhaps there's a better name for this tag?)

I think that's all I have for now. I'll make another post if I can think of more, but I think the initial list is really good.
My one thing with a tag called "opinion" is that it sorta leaks into other threads we have that're just... the user's opinions. Feels like that kind of thing can get covered by the title and the absence of a news tag.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Choice is always a good thing, so thank you for that. I do think this whole thing would have went a lot smoother if this was the original thread/post that introduced tags in the first instance.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
My one thing with a tag called "opinion" is that it sorta leaks into other threads we have that're just... the user's opinions. Feels like that kind of thing can get covered by the title and the absence of a news tag.

That's understandable, I was thinking the same thing when I wrote the tag. That's why I was thinking a different word would better convey the idea that "This thread is about an opinion piece, not your personal opinion". Feel free not to add it to the list.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thank you kindly for offering up different options, accessibility is always key to making an experience unique to the user and their browsing interests. I hope to see more of this communication in the future as it's wonderful to have discussions like these be available.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Maybe an "article" tag for when a site publishes an opinion piece or an editorial?

Maybe someone can think of a better name for this tag

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't really sure what I could positively contribute to the list of tags until I read the list of suggested ones. And it hit me like a ton of bricks.

There needs to be a Kanye tag.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Thank you for opening this thread for feedback, and especially for the option to turn them off. There's something for everyone, and for me everything is back to looking nice and tidy again.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Under the title is a huge improvement.

This is possibly something that only I'd want, but could the filter have an option to also display threads with no tags? So I could for example filter it to see Sales, News and everything without a tag?

There is the ignore option in preferences but that seems to be a global setting?

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Appreciate the options. Having the tags under the title is very nice, and thanks for having an option to completely hide them as well :)

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
If anyone wants to adjust the colors, it's actually pretty easy to do with the browser extension Stylus. (sorry for the light theme)

EmXnjTc.png

Code:
.label {padding: 0px;}

.label.label--primary,.label.label--silver,.label.label--prefixGradient {
    color: #8f65c7;
    background: transparent;
    border-color: transparent;
    font-size: 100%;
}

a.label.label--primary:hover, a:hover .label.label--primary {
}
a.label.label--silver:hover, a:hover .label.label--silver {
}
a:hover .label.label--prefixGradient
{
    background: transparent !important;
}

The background / border-colors are just transparent there, but you can change them to whatever fits your theme.

Thanks to less for the help on the OT tag šŸ™šŸ¾

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Another idea we were kicking around that we're not 100% sold on is a [sensitive] tag that could serve as a guideline for discussion and potentially a content/trigger warning. The issue here is, on one hand we want to make sure people can filter out content that's bad for their mental health, but we don't want it to be an asset for the "No PoLiTiCs In My GaMeS" crowd.

Hmm... I think I'd kinda like to see this happen, but I definitely could see it backfiring as well.

My feeling is that beyond being useful as a warning, there's cases where using it could probably help pre-empt driveby whining/shitposting, since it helps establish that it's a serious discussion and should stay that way, and does that without requiring a staff post. But of course that also means it could be abused just as easily by people who just want to control a discussion and force something bad to be treated seriously, right? So that's tough...

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone wants to adjust the colors, it's actually pretty easy to do with the browser extension Stylus. (sorry for the light theme)

EmXnjTc.png

Code:
.label {padding: 0px;}

.label.label--primary,.label.label--silver,.label.label--prefixGradient {
    color: #8f65c7;
    background: #8050bf00;
    border-color: #673ba100;
    font-size: 12px;
}

a.label.label--primary:hover, a:hover .label.label--primary {
    background: #7543b700;
    border-color: #5e359200;
}
a.label.label--silver:hover, a:hover .label.label--silver {
    background: #7543b700;
    border-color: #5e359200;
}

The background / border-colors are just transparent there, but you can change them to whatever fits your theme. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to change the hover on OT, but I'll get there eventually.
This is excellent. Thank you!