• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
"Controversial"? Lol.
People were upset about this? It's a straight up QOL improvement. Love it.

Thanks guys!

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing work, thanks for the options and for rolling out this thread to communicate!

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Filtering by tags is 100% in the cards, yeah. You can do that now, actually, through your profile.

Adding per-platform tags also looks doable. We don't want the pool to get too huge, since you start running into usability problems ("I can't find the tags I want so I'll just go for something close enough"), but an Xbox, PC, PS, Ninty set seems fine at a glance.
You can actually do it by using the "filter" drop down at the top right of the page.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The more I used it, the more I liked it. Threads with no tags are generally of no interest to me, so I can avoid them easily.

My main question is, can I ignore a tag completely? And if so, how? I'd like to completely ignore the Rumors tag.

My main point of feedback is wanting the feature to expand. More tags and ability to post multiple tags please! Stuff like Star Wars, Marvel, politics, Final Fantasy, wrestling, Trump, etc. I love the step forward to customizing the site to your own preferences and I hope this continues!!!

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
So is the point that we can globally ignore certain tags? And if so, please can you create a 'Speculation' tag and tag threads accordingly. I find those the most inane, and resent having the parse the title when browsing.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
The more I used it, the more I liked it. Threads with no tags are generally of no interest to me, so I can avoid them easily.

My main question is, can I ignore a tag completely? And if so, how? I'd like to completely ignore the Rumors tag.

My main point of feedback is wanting the feature to expand. More tags and ability to post multiple tags please! Stuff like Star Wars, Marvel, politics, Final Fantasy, wrestling, Trump, etc. I love the step forward to customizing the site to your own preferences and I hope this continues!!!
The OP of this thread explains exactly how. It's in your settings, under preferences. Just click the box and save. Congrats, no more spoilers.

Part of what we're asking for is suggestions for tags, so suggest away.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
like most quality of life features added without asking, this made the quality of life of the forum much worse so I am thankful I can switch it off 🙏

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The "under title" option looks really nice. And thanks for letting us turn them off.

Draft tags list - suggestions welcome!

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Current draft list after some suggestions:
Gaming News
Entertainment News
US Politics (starting point, will probably add more in this vein as people ask)
Sales Data
Deals
Weekend
OT
Rumor
Spoiler
Anime
Sports
Music
Movies
Comics
TV
Retro
Star Wars
Dragonball
Wrestling
Xbox
PC
Nintendo
PlayStation
Trump
Marvel
DC
Live Stream (for user-run livestreams, would get turned off when not running) (Alternatively, just LIVE, for various events, shows, or streams)
Group Watch
Book Club

Current plan is max of 4 tags per thread, so they need to be reasonably broad or else they're useless, and we don't want the pool too huge or else people can't find the ones they want easily and just pick "close enough" options. Ideally, all of the single-topic tags (so franchises like Star Wars, for instance) will be limited to stuff that makes up a decent proportion of threads so people who just truly don't care can filter it out. So probably not any one specific game franchise, since that usually only happens around new launches.

With that in mind, hit me with whatever you got.

Edit - Currently suggested additions:
LTTP
RTTP
Reviews
Help/Advice
Eminem (do we really have that many of these?)
TLOU/Naughty Dog (reluctant here, because thread gluts around game releases are just something that happens - if it's still a perennial discussion point after some time's passed, like Star Wars is, we can revisit, I think)
General News
Art
Programming (could fall under the Help/Advice tag)
Giveaway (used for one off giveaway threads outside of the main giftbot thread)
Tech News (this could be useful if we decide to get rid of the general News tag)
Opinion (for things that aren't really news, website opinion pieces. Perhaps there's a better name for this tag?)

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Current plan is max of 4 tags per thread, so they need to be reasonably broad or else they're useless, and we don't want the pool too huge or else people can't find the ones they want easily and just pick "close enough" options. Ideally, all of the single-topic tags (so franchises like Star Wars, for instance) will be limited to stuff that makes up a decent proportion of threads so people who just truly don't care can filter it out. So probably not any one specific game franchise, since that usually only happens around new launches.

Maybe add LTTP/RTTP as there are quite a lot of threads with those in the title anyway

Maybe also Help/Advice wanted?

BMofB

Oct 27, 2017
A great feature, thank you!

One bug: on my iPad Air 2 portrait mode, Under displays tags incorrectly, with both Chrome and Safari. In landscape they are fine.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love options. Everything is going under for me!

I do love the new tags, definitely helps sort things from a glance.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
There should be an option to have the tag be plain text so the purple isnt so distracting. Maybe that's why people are against it so much, since it sticks out.

i would prefer that over nothing, functionally, but aesthetically would probably like them off

but I'm still using them.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any way to save the prefixes used? It resets if you browse to another part of the site.

Torian

Aug 16, 2019
No, that's in the right spot. That's one of the options.
How do I get it under the title aligned to the left? This is very "nervous" from an optical point of view.

Edit: to be clear - it looks fine for me on mobile. It seems that the "xy replied to" is in its own row on mobile.
Edit2:
If "xy replied to" needs to stay in the same row as the tag on tablet why not switch the position of it to the right so that he tag can be left side aligned.

Last edited:

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Thanks for doing this.

In future it would obviously be better to make this sort of thread and solicit user feedback before introducing such a divisive feature, but live and learn.

Click the "filters" button. Or one of the tags in the thread list.

Is the option to filter out threads with tags a possibility?

I can only seem to filter, for example, only showing OTs. What if I want the opposite, to see everything but OTs?

TLoU

Or if that's too specific, Naughty Dog.

Oct 25, 2017

Please don't use more than one tag.

Keep things nice, simple, and impartial: news, OT, rumor, spoiler. None of that "look at mah system war thread" option.

If a thread 'needs' more than one tag, it's not worth anybody's time, because it's going to be filled with nothing but garbage.
Example: "rumor spoiler OT" what? what is that supposed to even be?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Please don't use more than one tag.

Keep things nice, simple, and impartial: news, OT, rumor, spoiler. None of that "look at mah system war thread" option.

If a thread 'needs' more than one tag, it's not worth anybody's time, because it's going to be filled with nothing but garbage.
Example: "rumor spoiler OT" what? what is that supposed to even be?
Well, sure, that's a little incoherent, but how about [OT][PlayStation][Spoiler} for a new PS exclusive's spoiler thread? Or [Entertainment News][Movies][Marvel] for an update on the next Marvel movie?
TLoU

Or if that's too specific, Naughty Dog.
TBH Naughty Dog is probably more specific, given the total number of threads specifically about TLOU and about ND more generally.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Excellent. Thanks for adding these options.

Turned them off for the moment, but I might actually turn them on again after the tag pool has expanded. Happy to see you're taking suggestions there as well.

For what it's worth, though, even after selecting none they do still appear for me on the front page, inside the subforum "blocks".

Edit: Oh, and and inside the thread titles as well, once you've opened a thread...

less

Oct 25, 2017
A great feature, thank you!

One bug: on my iPad Air 2 portrait mode, Under displays tags incorrectly, with both Chrome and Safari. In landscape they are fine.

Tags under seem to be broken on my 8 inch tablet :

Not strictly broken so much as how it was implemented and overlooking of tablet users. What happens is that once the width is reduced enough certain UI elements are removed or re-positioned to trim the content down for a cleaner view especially for mobile phone users. The field that the tags are in under desktop mode are gets removed once the width shrinks enough. Once the width shrinks the tags are moved to the section that contains the thread stats information. In mobile phones this info is moved directly underneath the the thread title and is position to the left and thus appears perfectly as is. Unfortunately, for tablets with bigger widths (but still smaller than full desktop) this section is still aligned to the right. Thanks for pointing it out.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
The tags under the titles look much better.

Have you thought of making more and mandatory when creating a thread?

Love the options, especially hiding it.

I've already stated the issues I had with communication overall in the other thread but, for the feature, I think this improvement is really good.

Edit: Also, another congrats to Delphine in how you steered the conversation after things went south. Awesome work.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Given that they provide nothing but visual noise for myself, thanks for the option to turn their display off.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you for these options!

Please give us alternatives to the bright purple button designs. The buttons grab too much attention in dark mode.

I'd love simple text links in a mild purple, or buttons with a medium-dark gray background and purple text, just like the "Highlights" tab, or the secondary buttons at the top and bottom of the page.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Would love to be able to apply permanent filters, so I only see the tags I want to see every time I log in. The ignore tags feature is fine, but I'm mostly wanting to ignore non-tagged things at the moment, as I like using Era as a way to get news and follow OTs. It's MUCH easier already to just ignore the other stuff, but I'd like to be able to ignore it completely.

I suppose also adding more expansive tags would be great. I think now that there's the option to turn tags off for some users, people can go ham on tagging their threads and the folks that hate them won't be bothered.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So... how do we apply the tags to our own already existing threads? I skimmed the OP and didn't see anything about that, unless it's already a known thing and I just haven't noticed where the option is yet.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the post and for adding options. It's very appreciated. I also really like that more tags are planned to being added; that will definitely increase their usefulness.

A suggestion: I don't know if it's feasible, but an option to remove tags from the Alerts dropdown would be welcomed. Because nothing there is aligned, the purple dots scattered around causes the same visual distraction as having them at the front of thread titles. It's not as big of an issue as when they were at the beginning of titles, so I'll understand if it's something that just has to be lived with, but I would be very grateful if there was an option to hide them there, too.

inYZ71V.png