• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Thanks, I turned them off. I already had them off with a custom theme on my PC so now my phone matches that. 🙂

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for listening to the feedback, it's really appreciated.

As far as suggestions go, adding a "LTTP" tag could be nice. And changing the gradient in the OT one to be a flat color, like the rest of them.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Under title is a huge improvement. Giving the option to turn it off is even better. Kudos. Main issue is that the colors/shading could do with a fine tuning, they should either each have their own unique and recognizable color/shade or all be uniform. Like OT is nice and recognizable, News is different, but then Rumors and Spoilers are the same? Could end up with misclicks.

There is no need to apologize, Delphine.
Nah, the response from the admins in the first couple of days was... not good, to put it lightly. Delphine was basically the first person to respond without hostility or just locking threads.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
ta.
It's good they still have an effect on thread list when hidden.

Not sure why they have to be different colours, but that's not an imposed eyesore that has to be dealt with anymore. Wouldn't mind knowing the reasoning for making them different colours though.

I'd keep them up if they were a lot smaller and all looked like the rumour tag on light and were transparent in dark.

Good work with the options and response, team and Delphine.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly surprised the options are so comprehensive! I was okay with the initial implementation but this is a great improvement.

I think expanding the colour palette of the tags would be nice, as the slightly varying shades/treatments of purple and a few grey tags offer a weird and unclear kind of differentiation. But I also know that a) the site has a strong colour identity already and b) additional colours would be difficult to agree on and maybe would turn more people off.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Amazing effort, thanks Delphine and B-Dubs for working on this thread and the feature, and to the tech team

This is now a pro for every single user. I think I'll turn them off for now but I may try them under the titles in future if I feel like I'm missing out

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The "None" option seems to be working for me. Thank you all for the update and communication.

Are the duplicate options in under "Ignored Prefixes" a bug?

02f177a8-1a86-4144-8zwklm.jpeg

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Thank you so much for these! This is likely the single most beneficial change for me, and I didn't even expect it to happen, so it was a wonderful surprise! Fantastic implementation!

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The "None" option seems to be working for me. Thank you all for the update and communication.

Are the duplicate options in under "Ignored Prefixes" a bug?

02f177a8-1a86-4144-8zwklm.jpeg
I'm assuming the first one is for Gaming and the "duplicate" is for EtcetEra. Maybe there should be a break between the two sides with plain text showing which set is for which side. Something like:

Gaming
  • News
  • Sales
  • Rumor
  • Spoiler
  • OT

EtcetEra
  • News
  • Spoiler
  • Rumor
  • OT

Oct 25, 2017
Please add a Dragonball tag and a Star Wars tag and then add an option to automatically ignore threads with those specific tags.

Thanks in advance.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
The under title is better, but I find it still breaks up the scanning of thread titles on a forum page. I would personally prefer them moved out of the default eye line and then if you home in on a thread title, you can flick your eyes right to check the tag.

Disabling them wholesale is an option but I foresee issues where people use the spoiler tag in place of a title warning.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, finally rolling this out. I've got a few thoughts of my own.

Different colors made a lot of sense when they were prefixes, since it'd provide easy sorting into different groupings. Now that they're just tags, I think it makes more sense to have them all the same color. I like the purple, maybe we can just do something a little lighter.

And a preliminary tag list I've been spitballing:

Tag pool ideas:
Gaming News
Entertainment News
US Politics
Sales Data
Deals
Weekend
Official
Rumor
Spoiler
Anime
Sports
Music
Movies
Comics
TV
Retro
Star Wars
Dragonball

Basically, two types of news to cover most of the bases, and then you get more specific with the single-topic tags. Threads would have 2-3 tags at most, ideally.

(The reason US Politics is the only Politics tag on there is because it's the starting point, not because it's the only one. Figure we'd listen to the community and see what other variants you guys feel are most required there).

Another idea we were kicking around that we're not 100% sold on is a [sensitive] tag that could serve as a guideline for discussion and potentially a content/trigger warning. The issue here is, on one hand we want to make sure people can filter out content that's bad for their mental health, but we don't want it to be an asset for the "No PoLiTiCs In My GaMeS" crowd.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why they have to be different colours, but that's not an imposed eyesore that has to be dealt with anymore. Wouldn't mind knowing the reasoning for making them different colours though.

That's just the visual language of thread prefixes on forums using Xenforo/vBulletin/IPB/etc forum software. As far back as I recall, 14 years, thread prefixes have mostly looked the same with one or two exceptions. They were always placed to the left of the thread title and pushed the title further inward. And barring one exception, I've only seen thread prefixes were always colored tags with text inside. The colors would be different depending on the prefix to help distinguish them. That's probably why the different colors were used. Those that are familiar with thread prefixes more or less would probably accept how they've been used before and not seen much of an issue. Until the backlash here I didn't even consider that perhaps they shouldn't be to the left of thread titles.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Alright, finally rolling this out. I've got a few thoughts of my own.

Different colors made a lot of sense when they were prefixes, since it'd provide easy sorting into different groupings. Now that they're just tags, I think it makes more sense to have them all the same color. I like the purple, maybe we can just do something a little lighter.

And a preliminary tag list I've been spitballing:

Basically, two types of news to cover most of the bases, and then you get more specific with the single-topic tags. Threads would have 2-3 tags at most, ideally.

(The reason US Politics is the only Politics tag on there is because it's the starting point, not because it's the only one. Figure we'd listen to the community and see what other variants you guys feel are most required there).

Another idea we were kicking around that we're not 100% sold on is a [sensitive] tag that could serve as a guideline for discussion and potentially a content/trigger warning. The issue here is, on one hand we want to make sure people can filter out content that's bad for their mental health, but we don't want it to be an asset for the "No PoLiTiCs In My GaMeS" crowd.
I would enjoy a way to filter threads by tag.
I would enjoy if gaming news differentiate between consol and PC.
As someone that uses mostly PC I don't care about Playstation exclusives so I'd love if of could filter for PC news.
This would specially helpful as ERA is very Sony centric and it is hard to find non console news

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the undertitle option, its perfect for me.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I would enjoy a way to filter threads by tag.
I would enjoy if gaming news differentiate between consol and PC.
As someone that uses mostly PC I don't care about Playstation exclusives so I'd love if of could filter for PC news.
This would specially helpful as ERA is very Sony centric and it is hard to find non console news
Filtering by tags is 100% in the cards, yeah. You can do that now, actually, through your profile.

Adding per-platform tags also looks doable. We don't want the pool to get too huge, since you start running into usability problems ("I can't find the tags I want so I'll just go for something close enough"), but an Xbox, PC, PS, Ninty set seems fine at a glance.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
That's just the visual language of thread prefixes on forums using Xenforo/vBulletin/IPB/etc forum software. As far back as I recall, 14 years, thread prefixes have mostly looked the same with one or two exceptions. They were always placed to the left of the thread title and pushed the title further inward. And barring one exception, I've only seen thread prefixes were always colored tags with text inside. The colors would be different depending on the prefix to help distinguish them. That's probably why the different colors were used. Those that are familiar with thread prefixes more or less would probably accept how they've been used before and not seen much of an issue. Until the backlash here I didn't even consider that perhaps they shouldn't be to the left of thread titles.
Thanks for the comprehensive answer, less. 🙏

Morphis

Oct 28, 2017
Really appreciate the option to turn them off!

Edit: I still see the tags on the home page, under Latest Threads and in the last reply sections per forum. I don't mind that, but I thought I'd mention it :)

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Thanks for the awesome feedback people, I appreciate it đź’ś

Quite frankly I'm mostly just glad nobody has yet judged me for using the white theme!

V62bS83.gif

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Know what would be really nice? A word filter that we could use to hide threads we don't care about. For example, someone may want to see "US Politics" threads but not ones that have the word "Trump" in it. Giving users the opportunity to filter single words of their choosing like what the script some already use would be great.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Filtering by tags is 100% in the cards, yeah. You can do that now, actually, through your profile.

Adding per-platform tags also looks doable. We don't want the pool to get too huge, since you start running into usability problems ("I can't find the tags I want so I'll just go for something close enough"), but an Xbox, PC, PS, Ninty set seems fine at a glance.
Great!
Thank you!

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the thread and the options. And a big yes on Star Wars & Dragonball tags.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Is there a comprehensive list of available tags? And is there a way to suggest a tag for a thread if the OP did not select one? Either for personal use, or if enough people suggest it to get it added to the thread, or a message to the OP as a suggestion to add it.

Otherwise, fantastic work. I can really see it becoming very useful.

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you very much for giving us the ability to choose and for the communicating with us. Having options is almost always ideal, and I'm glad that this has changed for the better in that way.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Know what would be really nice? A word filter that we could use to hide threads we don't care about. For example, someone may want to see "US Politics" threads but not ones that have the word "Trump" in it. Giving users the opportunity to filter single words of their choosing like what the script some already use would be great.
Can talk to the tech team about if it's possible/feasible to implement that natively but it'd be a different system than the tag one. Could always do a Trump tag, but he comes up in a LOT of threads, even ones that aren't explicitly about him. And in the same way, other sensitive topics come up in threads that aren't strictly about them.

I do like the idea, though. It'd be a good way to support members with traumas who want to take a really rigorous approach. I dunno how technically feasible it is, and I am still worried about misuse, though it might be worth it anyway.

MmmSkyscraper

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the awesome feedback people, I appreciate it đź’ś

Quite frankly I'm mostly just glad nobody has yet judged me for using the white theme!

I was about to say thanks for your hard work, but now you mention it... /side eye

Thanks to Delphine for the communication and those that made the options happen.