• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
After a rocky start a few days ago, for which we apologize, here is our very first update on Tags that I believe a lot of people are waiting for, and very likely will like!
We have tried to listen to the feedback, and prepared this update with it all in mind! We sincerely hope this will help you all to use this new feature in a way that would be best fitted with your browsing style! With that being said, let's dive right in, shall we?

So What's New?

Well, you now have three different options to deal with tags (hopefully one of these will be to your liking), and these options can be found in the "Preferences" tab of the "Settings" page. You then need to look for the "Thread Tag Mode" line. Here is what it looks like:

hTCv5yo.jpg

First Option: Under Title

This option is now gonna be the default one for all of ResetEra users and unregistered lurkers and will stay that way for now. With this option, the tag is moved under the title on the left, and allows for thread titles to remain visually coherent and pleasing to scroll through. And here is what it looks like:

Desktop Version:
qfqhVU4.jpg

Mobile Version:
Goim90N.jpg

Second Option: Prefix Title

This option is the one we're all already acquainted with, we decided to allow people to use it still. We know it's a controversial option, but we didn't want to scrap it entirely, as some people still liked it enough and were willing to use it. Here is what it looks like (but most of you already know):

Desktop Version:
ndq3yrg.jpg

Mobile Version:
IrFkPAS.jpg

Third Option: None

That's right, you read it right, we decided to let people hide the tags entirely from lists of threads. We ought to precise, though, that it just hides them aesthetically. The tags are still existing, and still gonna be used, it's just the visual icon that is going to be disabled, should you want to do so. Here is what it looks like:

Desktop Version:
4Nlgl6q.jpg

Mobile Version:
9ZaRwl3.jpg

Important Information

All those options are gonna have an effect on threads lists. But whichever option you will chose, tags are still going to appear on the Desktop Version of the very main page of ResetEra regardless. I must emphasize on this so it isn't a surprise for any of us to see tags still there on the home page, because it will not be an indication of whether or not your preferences have been saved. Even choosing the "None" option won't disable tags from showing up on the main page. Here is what the main page should look like to everybody, regardless of which option you will have chosen and saved:

BZY51th.jpg

As you can see, tags still appear on the "Latest Threads" column, as well as on different sub-forum hubs. This is intended to be that way, so don't panic if you still see those tag on the home page of ResetEra despite using the "None" option.

So What's Next?

We will keep on developing this feature in the future, and we are already hard at work on some ways to further improve tags! Rest assured this iteration is still nowhere near its final form, and that we'll take point in making sure using it will be a smooth and pleasurable experience for all of our users.

Information
Want to Help?

If you have any feedback for this feature, please do share it in this thread, and kindly be constructive. We will read it all, and we hope to work together towards making this feature as useful and nice as possible in the future!

We're also looking to expand the number and kind of tags that are available, to better allow users to find the sort of threads they are interested in, and are actively soliciting suggestions as to what kind of tags people would like to see and would get some use out of.

I want to thank you all for your patience, and for your interest in this feature, and we hope this first update will put us all on the right track already!
Have a very nice day :D

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Sweet. Thanks for the option to choose. I dont like them so turned them off. :)

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Appreciate the none option, thanks for taking a non-dogmatic approach here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Under Title is a really nice option. A lot better than the original implementation in my opinion. Well done!

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
It would be great if you could filter tags. It always annoys me when leaks that spoil conferences happen and you can read them on thread tittles. I like to be surprised at conferences so this might help in someway...

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Thank you Delphine for creating this thread and your outreach to the community in general!

As for the tags, I am very happy with the configuration settings for this. I personally prefer a clean list for the threads so I am using the none option, and it works and looks as expected. Choices are great, I am glad the functionality will still exist and people who prefer the tags can use them!

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
that is amazing and exactly the right response. i really don't mind the current implementation and will probably keep it as is.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't have any issue with the original implementation but the new default does look more neat and tidy.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I like the changes to the tag movement because I suggested it :D

The Albatross said:
I wish they weren't to the left of the topic title. Makes scanning titles a little more difficult, maybe something like this:

SbPHcr6.png

For me, I find the title of a thread to be most helpful in deciding whether I'm interested in it, not an arbitrary tag.

Looks much better under the title, thanks for making that change.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Please add an "art' tag - it may not get much use judged by simple quantity, but would really help communitize.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
As for suggestions on the kinds of tags, here are my thoughts:
  • "News" as a tag is unhelpfully broad, IMO. Assuming it's possible for the tech staff to create customized tag labels, I would suggest examples like:
    • Announcement
    • Politics
    • Platform [e.g. Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft] / Publisher [e.g. Square Enix, THQ Nordic]
      • This would of course be of great help, both to people who have no interest in in a particular platform or publisher, as well as those who have particular interests in them. No more complaining about the clutter of X platform's threads!
Also, I believe it's already being worked on, but the option to remove the solid color backgrounds for the tags would be great.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
one small thing: is there a way to not have the tag after the thread title in the title of the page?

screenshot2020-08-05akpjl3.png

i don't think it serves any purpose there. the tag under the title is great and when someone clicks a thread they see it, no reason to have it in the title of the page as well.

also, may i suggest adding a tag for "deals"? there's so many threads that would benefit from it. the regular eshop/psn/xbl sales threads, for example.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Thanks for the visual styling options.

I think the tag list needs to be expanded quite a bit for this feature to be truly useful, though.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for giving us all of these options. I am quite fond of the under-the-title one myself.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Glad to have this feature. I'm using the Under Title option so it's easier to scan titles.

I'll also point out that you can search by tags under Advanced Search > Search Threads > Prefix:

BDkRLiA.png

Note: Of course not all OTs are tagged as OT yet, so doing a search with this tag isn't going to work 100% of the time.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you very much for this thread and the communication along with the different options, under title it is for me :)

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
This is how it should've been done in the first place, so cheers for doing it. I think as long as we got to have two way discussion about new features we would be more accepting of any coming change.

Anyway I was of the "gimme option to turn it off!" opinion, but having the tags below the titles look pretty neat. I'll try and see how this one goes :)

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for taking the feedback to heart. I personally enjoy the feature, but the communication issues early on were frustrating. Glad to see positive steps being taken.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017