• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume the NES service was only meant to last a year and the SNES service may take off from the end of September.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I told you all SNES would most likely come alongside Lite or shortly after.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I wonder if it will be the same list of games that was datamined an age ago.

For example, Contra 3 has since been released by Konami as a part of their collection. Would they really allow NSO to compete with their $20 collection?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Hopefully it's announced as part of the September direct, then this time next year we'll have a decent library of SNES games to play.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Should I be worried that the shoulder buttons may be replaced with tiny SL & SR buttons?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Thinking about it some more, given the Switch Lite is on its way I think Nintendo will decide not to use the joycon rail on these and instead use a USB type-C charging port - it just makes the most sense.

Also, since the SNES controller is wider than the NES controller, i'm not sure how well that would work given the height of a Switch dock above a flat surface.
Not in any way that makes sense. Connected to a docked Switch they'd stick out too far at the bottom and cause the whole thing to wobble.

snesswitchd1j9o.jpg

using an original SNES controller. Can't find my SNES mini version under the mountains of paper on my desk atm.

edit: found it!

snesminiswite3k9v.jpg

smooth out the edges a little to shrink it a tiny bit maybe and you're good.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Pilotwings is the main 1st party wrong from the SNES Mini line up that needs to be righted. Stunt Race FX was also listed in that datamine from ages ago, wasn't it?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Honestly, I'd be pretty content with the datamined 22 for quite a while.

My expectation is that it'll take a year to get to at least the 22 datamined. That of course assumes we continue to get 2-3 nes and 2-3 snes games a month... and not say 2-3 of both nes AND snes games where snes frequently gets the shaft of 0-1 per month.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Imagine how attached N64 controllers will look? :D
They will probably have a charging cable like Pro Controllers due to their form factor (no straight edge for a rail).

That said, I love your optimism that we'll ever get N64 games. At the rate they're going, they'll be on the third or fourth iteration of the Switch or have totally moved on from the concept by the time the N64 might have come to mind for them.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I see Demon's Crest mentioned, i am satisfied.

Give it to me, there's not enough platforms i can own and/or play this game.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
My expectation is that it'll take a year to get to at least the 22 datamined. That of course assumes we continue to get 2-3 nes and 2-3 snes games a month... and not say 2-3 of both nes AND snes games where snes frequently gets the shaft of 0-1 per month.
Possibly.

I don't remember what NES launched with, but I remember it being a big enough selection. Perhaps I misremember, but how many games were there.
Mystery solved lol. We should've read the stuff :D

Ninjadom pls update the OP :D

I have been foiled.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Very unlikely. Those games are likely the launch lineup of the service.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Donkey Kong country trilogy
Mario rpg
Super metroid
Super punch out
Yoshis island

These are the main ones I want

Oct 26, 2017
They will probably have a charging cable like Pro Controllers due to their form factor (no straight edge for a rail).

That said, I love your optimism that we'll ever get N64 games. At the rate they're going, they'll be on the third or fourth iteration of the Switch or have totally moved on from the concept by the time the N64 might have come to mind for them.
I could be completely naive, but if the NES lineup lasted them a year it's not out of the question the SNES lineup will last two, by which time Switch will be 4.5 years old.
And N64 will last another year until the launch of Switch 2.

What this does mean is definitely no GC or above which makes me sad.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Possibly.

I don't remember what NES launched with, but I remember it being a big enough selection. Perhaps I misremember, but how many games were there.

20 games day-1

Ten were already announced when Nintendo Switch Online was first announced back in May. The 10 games announced today are:
  1. Ghosts 'n Goblins
  2. Excitebike
  3. Tecmo Bowl
  4. Yoshi
  5. Double Dragon
  6. Gradius
  7. Ice Hockey
  8. River City Ransom
  9. Pro Wrestling
  10. Baseball
They will join
  1. Balloon Fight
  2. Donkey Kong
  3. Dr. Mario
  4. Ice Climber
  5. The Legend of Zelda
  6. Mario Bros.
  7. Soccer
  8. Super Mario Bros.
  9. Super Mario Bros. 3
  10. Tennis

Oct 26, 2017
All discovered by Link83.

<EDIT>I wonder if Nintendo will have made any changes to the controller design - it almost looks like there might be ZL and ZR buttons on the top edge? Or is that perhaps just a joycon docking rail like the NES versions?

It's likely ZL and ZR. Their NES controller had L & R which together let you access the suspend menu, and work as home and capture system buttons from the emulator. If you use it in other software it'll probably revert to normal ZL & ZR inputs similarly.

Last edited:

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I'd expect a SNES game per month till end of the year, 4 in total. Then it could be 0-1.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Adding SNES games would be awesome. I don't even play the NES games, but I'd be all over SNES entries. Hoping too at some point they get rid of that god awful and unnecessary boarder showing the game options.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Welp; can't wait to see SNES online in the Fall Direct.

Playing Kirby Super Star co-op online will be a blast.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between need and need.

Oh that's my problem. I could get the NES controllers or just buy the NES classic (refurb in the Nintendo Store is ten bucks cheaper).

I love an official Wireless Nintendo classic controller.

I would love if Nintendo just released these wides. Or just allow 3rd parties to use the molds and produce their own officially licensed retro controllers. Like what RetroBit and Sega are doing. There will always be a market for classic controllers.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thank God. So September seems even more likely now. Hopefully sooner than later.