• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yep, and now this is blasted all over the front page of Fox News.
In the link I posted, she did not characterize it as sexual harassment.

This is why it's dangerous to not be explicitly clear.

She describes it as sexual harassment in this video (Ball says "to be clear, the report you filed was essentially for sexual harassment, and she agrees), also:
www.theguardian.com

Tara Reade says Joe Biden sexually assaulted her. She deserves to be heard | Katie Halper

I published the former aide’s accusation against the Democratic presidential candidate on my podcast after other media outlets ignored her
Two interns the Times interviewed corroborated Reade's allegation that she was removed of her duties supervising them (in retaliation, she claimed, for reporting earlier sexual harassment)
Reade also says that she didn't even consider her own rape sexual assault at the time. These things can be extremely confusing to process, but the report was for sexual harassment, even if she wasn't thinking of the specific definitions at the time

Be careful with the bolded. Victims who step forward often do it in a messy and less than perfect way because the shit they have to process from that trauma clouds their explanations.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019

Aye, right-wing all over this. Going to be painting themselves as Reade's ally against the establishment media who are just protecting Biden.

Meanwhile CNN will get grenades lobbed at them demanding someone question Joe who's probably going to hunker down for a day unless he has any media scheduled.

And in another few hours Trump will probably be telling people inhaling car exhaust fumes cures the coronavirus and that'll be a story for a while.

Good times ahead for Americans.

Anyway,

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

She describes it as sexual harassment in this video (Ball says "to be clear, the report you filed was essentially for sexual harassment, and she agrees), also:
www.theguardian.com

Tara Reade says Joe Biden sexually assaulted her. She deserves to be heard | Katie Halper

I published the former aide’s accusation against the Democratic presidential candidate on my podcast after other media outlets ignored her

Reade also says that she didn't even consider her own rape sexual assault at the time. These things can be extremely confusing to process, but the report was for sexual harassment, even if she wasn't thinking of the specific definitions at the time

Be careful with the bolded. Victims who step forward often do it in a messy and less than perfect way because the shit they have to process from that trauma clouds their explanations.

EDIT: NVM. There's no point.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You legitimately are undermining this and you're not even realizing it. In this post alone.
What are you even talking about. Undermining what? If you're going to make some kind of absurd claim that I'm undermining something and am unaware of it, explain.

If there is no point, then why did you even start here

Last edited:

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Oooft

Romano not handling that twist well that she was on the Larry King show the same night Reade's mum called in.

You couldn't write this script. Abusing Reade and linking the Krassensteins, ends up being mentioned on the call.

When victim blaming leads to life coming at you fast.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
The sad thing is that the fact that the right is taking it up is going to lead to some people even more vehemently refuse to believe her and go even deeper in the russian spy bullshit and support Biden even more.

Man, she's really brave to come forward with this. She's going to get smeared even more as more and more elements of her story come to light/are corroborated. If people still fucking wonder why women don't come forward with these stories, just look at the shit Tara is receiving since she came out for daring to go against a man that just happens to be more decent than Donald Trump.

Believe women, except when it's inconvenient.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
I guess Biden's just not going to make any personal statement on this? Not even a word?

Never voluntarily, someone is going to have to ask him, but it's been weeks and no one has bothered 🤷‍♂️

Given the right wing assault tonight though you'd have to think questions are coming. Maybe it won't be CNN but someone is going to do it now.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Joe needs to go. This isn't going away and on top of all the moral and ethical reasons he shouldn't be the Democratic nominee that should already be enough, from a purely political/strategic standpoint it's very possible this will be Biden's equivalent to the Email Scandal that could end up killing his support at the polls come Nov. Regardless of Trump's heinous actions and sexual harassment/assault allegations he and the GOP will have no trouble bringing this up constantly and drilling it into the electorates mind. We're still months away from the convention and many more from Nov. It's far from too late to change direction now. This idea that we have to be Ride or Die Biden is frankly insane.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with the statement about why she got removed from supervising duties is that it directly contradicts her 2019 claim, where she claims she was taken off for not serving drinks when asked to. But I guess this is an evolving allegation so some retrospection makes sense.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
www.foxnews.com

Clip surfaces of Biden accuser Tara Reade's mother phoning into 'Larry King Live' in 1993 alluding to claim

A resurfaced clip on "Larry King Live" in 1993 appears to show the mother of Tara Reade -- who has accused Joe Biden of past sexual assault while in the Senate -- alluding to “problems” her daughter faced while working as a staffer for the then-Delaware senator.

And now it's on Fox News.
When Fox News is beating you on women's rights. The USA media landscape is a disgrace.

And Biden is a disgrace for hoping that this just blows over. Great leadership material.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the rhetoric that it's impossible to have him step down. This should be the most possible thing that you can do in a democracy. Call and email your representatives and tell them that you support Biden stepping down and you want them to do the same.

Shit, email the DNC itself and tell them that this isn't acceptable. This is supposed to be our party. The dude isn't even the official nominee yet. Not only is it possible, it needs to be done immediately.
I think the reason why that's not gaining traction is because its her word against his.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but she in her initial allegations in April 2019 mentioned inappropriate touching of the shoulders and hair, but denied sexual contact. Late last month, she said that he also touched her underneath her clothes. Earlier this month, her brother, when asked by the NYT, did say that she had told him about the touching of the shoulders and hair, but her brother said nothing of the contact under the clothes until a second, follow up interview by the washington post.

Neither Reade nor her brother mentioned the contact underneath the clothes in their initial accounts, just hair/shoulder contactt, which is consistent with other womens' complaints. The two friends who corroborated weren't apparently aware of the specifics, just that there was "inapporpriate/uncomfortable contact."

Investigators in the political machines, and media investigators, many of whom are probably ex leos specializing in these kinds of assaults, probably understand an accuser holding back on the details about the contact underneath the clothes (due to trauma,) focusing instead on the hair/sshoulders but when the only corroborating witness, her brother, recalls only the details on the hair/shoulders at first, that makes them wonder if some of this could be a false memory.

At least, that's what a family friend (former hennepin county sheriff) told me. "Psychological trauma is always the hardest to investigate, and the further removed from the incident, the more difficult it becomes. The mind likes to both blur details together for preservation and protect itself from trauma as a defense mechanism."

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting. More detail is definitely needed. I wonder how many staffers left senate offices around August 1993.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
What are you even talking about. Undermining what? If you're going to make some kind of absurd claim that I'm undermining something and am unaware of it, explain.

If there is no point, then why did you even start here
From your post (because I'll pretend I also have not been following this):
- She filed a sexual harassment claim in 1993 that was not related to the assault
- In 2019 she characterized the harassment as not sexual
- In her most recent allegation, she was assaulted after she filed the claim
- She didn't find her assault as sexual in nature but she filed a sexual harassment claim decades before

If you conflate the two separate claims, they become challenging and allow for a rebuttal. That's my point. I'm not saying anything about her credibility. I'm saying if we aren't clear and combine them into one story, we then do not do it justice as it will eat itself.

I think she's credible and from my first post, this bolsters her argument that she was mistreated during her time in Biden's office. But we need to be clear about the two separate allegations.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The problem with the statement about why she got removed from supervising duties is that it directly contradicts her 2019 claim, where she claims she was taken off for not serving drinks when asked to. But I guess this is an evolving allegation so some retrospection makes sense.
She has expressed that she hasn't felt comfortable sharing specific details. From the article you linked:
Reade said she tried to share her story when she worked for Biden, but was told to say nothing. Then Biden ran on Barack Obama's ticket. Reade thought he may have changed.
She was encouraged, even by her own brother, to bury her story. So she may have felt more comfortable at the time to not make her leaving explicitly about the complaint she filed for sexual harassment.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with the statement about why she got removed from supervising duties is that it directly contradicts her 2019 claim, where she claims she was taken off for not serving drinks when asked to.
Do you understand the concept that it might be difficult for someone to publicly state that they were sexually assaulted?

But EVEN IF the initial statement was correct, punishing a staffer for filing a complaint like that should be disqualifying.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
From your post (because I'll pretend I also have not been following this):
- She filed a sexual harassment claim in 1993 that was not related to the assault
- In 2019 she characterized the harassment as not sexual
- In her most recent allegation, she was assaulted after she filed the claim
- She didn't find her assault as sexual in nature but she filed a sexual harassment claim decades before

If you conflate the two separate claims, they become challenging and allow for a rebuttal. That's my point. I'm not saying anything about her credibility. I'm saying if we aren't clear and combine them into one story, we then do not do it justice as it will eat itself.

I think she's credible and from my first post, this bolsters her argument that she was mistreated during her time in Biden's office. But we need to be clear about the two separate allegations.
..I am not saying or expressing that her sexual assault complaint is the same as her accusation of rape. I am saying she has, herself, expressed that she's only been comfortable in sharing certain details at certain times. Again, her own brother told her to hide her experiences. She likely felt more comfortable straying away from talking about the sexual nature of the encounter for.. obvious reasons. Because she knew she would he harassed to no end and blamed.

None of that changes that now, she has revealed more details as she has become more comfortable and brave. Now she feels like she can talk openly about being both sexually harassed, after she has had time to both process and gather her thoughts/feelings.

You said her experiences were the same as Flores, but that's not true, at least from the information we have available to us. Maybe Flores feels the same way about it being sexual harassment, I have no idea and won't assume one way or another. She has so far stated that she doesn't feel she was sexually harassed. Reade has revealed that she filed a sexual harassment claim in 1993 and that she feels she was both harassed and assaulted.

That was the point I was making. Obviously the two accusations are different (Reade's harassment and her rape), I don't think I have said any differently. But her experiences, as newly revealed, differ from Flores, even if Biden's actions may have been similar or the same in terms of the touching (before the rape allegation).

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There is way more evidence supporting the allegations against Biden than there were against Kavanaugh. Liberals are going to have to reckon with their disparate reactions to them and how they're not so different than conservatives in this respect. Democrats have not changed at all since the days of covering for Bill Clinton.

DarthFeanor

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
User Banned (2 Months): Conspiracy theories surrounding sexual assault allegations over multiple posts
"The Intercept" is doing again their master (Putin) dirt work.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
"The Intercept" is doing again their master (Putin) dirt work.

l7j10jbso0p41.jpg

DarthFeanor

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Is trash like this really going to be allowed in a thread about sexual assault?
Everybody knows that The Intercept is a Putins puppet.
They are were instrumental in spreading misinformation against Hillary and the DNC back in 2016.

They are doing it again. They are worst Tha Braitbart.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck him and the people giving him cover because of political expediency. Hope she achieves a measure of peace and closure after this firestorm burns out, but in the meantime, I hope most of all for her safety and security.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You quoted it a minute after they posted. I'm sure it'll take some time and a few reports for it to be moderated. They're not instantly going to be on a post.

I guess I'll give posts the 5-minute rule before I get upset at what they say next time.

Everybody knows that The Intercept is a Putins puppet.
They are were instrumental in spreading misinformation against Hillary and the DNC back in 2016.

They are doing it again. They are worst Tha Braitbart.

They also broke the Kavanaugh story but of course that's different because __________

Please don't quote me again. I'm not going to engage with you further.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The point is that there is only her word and the words of family and a few friends. There isn't a non-biased source yet that can corroborate her allegations.
So

Her friend lied that Reade told her at the time, another friend lied about being told in 2005, her brother also lied that she told him at the time, and Reade is lying about her mother calling into Larry King

This is worth considering? Because this is essentially the path you have to travel to arrive at Reade making this instance up

OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So

Her friend lied that Reade told her at the time, another friend lied about being told in 2005, her brother also lied that she told him at the time, and Reade is lying about her mother calling into Larry King

This is worth considering? Because this is essentially the path you have to travel to arrive at Reade making this instance up

You never know! Hell, the OP of this thread might be a Russian asset by sowing discord among the interwebs!

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
So

Without people who worked on the Hill at the time corroborating that an assault allegation was filed (or the record itself), then yes we can't automatically assume that she is telling the truth. This is especially the case when you consider the political ramifications.

I think Biden's Senate records should be released, if he refuses to do so then he should be pressured to withdraw from the nomination.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The point is that there is only her word and the words of family and a few friends. There isn't a non-biased source yet that can corroborate her allegations.

What unbiased person do you expect a victim too ashamed or scared to go to the press or authorities to talk to?

Victims are perfect or they don't exist, I swear.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Without people who worked on the Hill at the time corroborating that an assault allegation was filed then yes we can't automatically assume that she is telling the truth. This is especially the case when you consider the political ramifications.

I think Biden's Senate records should be released, if he refuses to do so then he should be pressured to withdraw from the nomination.
Why wouldn't we assume she is telling the truth if there is literally no reason to doubt her?

Also, she never filed a sexual assault complaint, she delivered a sexual harassment complaint.

Again, in order to justify Reade lying about this you also have to justify at least three other people lying about her story. Except everyone who interviewed them found them credible and had no reason to doubt their accounts.