• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
Are conservatives waiting to investigate this harder after the nomination or something? People everywhere need to be digging more into this now. We can't let this fester. Need serious investigation now. Not later, not eventually. Now.
It's much more likely that conservatives are VERY MUCH investigating this. Their silence is the most deafening thing because we all know what happens if they get even the tiniest shred of something that could conceivably actually make this credible in the eyes of the base, they'd jump at the chance.

Which means either they don't think it's credible, or that they think it's a losing fight because Trump is credibly accused and admitted it, even.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's much more likely that conservatives are VERY MUCH investigating this. Their silence is the most deafening thing because we all know what happens if they get even the tiniest shred of something that could conceivably actually make this credible in the eyes of the base, they'd jump at the chance.

Which means either they don't think it's credible, or that they think it's a losing fight because Trump is credibly accused and admitted it, even.

GoP jumping on this would be the most hupocritical thing imaginable given Trump, so I ABSOLUTELY expect them to do it.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
It is still April and Joe Biden isn't campaigning at all. He either steps down now or the party runs a guy they know is a rapist. Pulling a Democratic Party Roy Moore. This is for President and there is still time to do the right thing.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
"I remember it being an anonymous call and her saying my daughter was sexually harassed and retaliated against and fired, where can she go for help? I was mortified," Reade told me.
CALLER: Yes, hello. I'm wondering what a staffer would do besides go to the press in Washington? My daughter has just left there, after working for a prominent senator, and could not get through with her problems at all, and the only thing she could have done was go to the press, and she chose not to do it out of respect for him.

This certainly shows that Reade felt wronged by Biden, even at the time. If Reade's mother had said "my daughter was sexually harassed and retaliated against and fired" on air, it would be game over for Biden. The problem that Reade will have is that her mother apparently said "her problems", and "her problems" is a vague enough way to describe it that it doesn't definitively corroborate her story.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
No doubt in my mind he did the shit.

These election choices are the cap on what is shaping up to be one of the worst years in history.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019

There's not silence. Fox News has been running interference on this from day 1, calling the rest of the media hypocrites and blasting the New York Times. Trump Jr tweeted about it to his masses. Most other Trump dogs have been at it as well, non-stop.

So much so the joke was saying the bad-faith Republicans are the only ones covering this.

Trump himself hasn't said anything yet, but given how bad he's doing in the polls and the fact he's been occupied telling people to inject cleaning products, suggests even he is aware if he stokes this fire right now pretty much everyone is going to go "look at all your rape allegations and things you said on tape".

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Biden needs to drop out. If dems couldn't accept Al Franken, no way he'll be able to drive the turn out needed in Nov.
That's kind of the problem though. The party at large did not want to force Franken out and only reluctantly did so after outside groups and Gillibrand kept on pushing for it. And the aftermath of that basically killed Gillibrand's 2020 presidential campaign before it even started. The only way this story gets enough traction to force Biden out is if someone sacrifices their political career to make it an unavoidable issue and it shouldn't be surprising why no one wants to do that

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Was the problem that people didn't believe the allegations, or that they just don't care, or don't feel it's that pressing of an issue considering what's at stake?

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they're waiting until it's closer to election to release what they know.

Wait until Biden is confirmed, then unleash the info.

That's my suspicion. We know from the leaked audio that Trump thinks Bernie is a threat and Biden is easy to beat (whether that's true is another question). If they wait until Biden is locked in, then they can go all out with the accusation. It's not like Trump or his voters care that Trump himself is a rapist. They'll want to attack Biden as a hypocrite, whereas everyone already knows Trump is awful and they just accept it.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's important to remember that Reade's mother was never going to betray her confidence and reveal her daughter's story on air. This is not what Reade wanted at the time. That she reached out to Larry King for help is significant. It suggests that the complaint is serious enough to reach out publicly for guidance and also corroborates her claim that she did complain to others but received no help.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why you guys are saying far right media isn't "reporting" on this when Breitbart and The Daily Caller both have articles on the subject.

There's not silence. Fox News has been running interference on this from day 1, calling the rest of the media hypocrites and blasting the New York Times. Trump Jr tweeted about it to his masses. Most other Trump dogs have been at it as well, non-stop.

So much so the joke was saying the bad-faith Republicans are the only ones covering this.

Trump himself hasn't said anything yet, but given how bad he's doing in the polls and the fact he's been occupied telling people to inject cleaning products, suggests even he is aware if he stokes this fire right now pretty much everyone is going to go "look at all your rape allegations and things you said on tape".

Yeah, people saying it's not happening haven't taken five seconds to actually confirm if that is the case.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 months): inflammatory accusations
That's kind of the problem though. The party at large did not want to force Franken out and only reluctantly did so after outside groups and Gillibrand kept on pushing for it. And the aftermath of that basically killed Gillibrand's 2020 presidential campaign before it even started. The only way this story gets enough traction to force Biden out is if someone sacrifices their political career to make it an unavoidable issue and it shouldn't be surprising why no one wants to do that

It's only a matter of time till Tara Reade shows up center stage on a Trump rally describing what happened to her as CNN/NBC/FOX all broadcast to the nation. Biden could do the same, but republicans will be unphased. Dems on the other hand will feel dirty voting or showing enthusiasm, lowering turn out.

Could you imagine the audio for the transcript in the OP playing on a TV ad as it cycles through the various clips of biden being creepy. Dem turnout will be crushed.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
It's important to remember that Reade's mother was never going to betray her confidence and reveal her daughter's story on air. This is not what Reade wanted at the time. That she reached out to Larry King for help is significant. It suggests that the complaint is serious enough to reach out publicly for guidance and also corroborates her claim that she did complain to others but received no help.
Also, it's fucked up how Reade not being comfortable telling the full story is used against her in this case.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting until the last minute would be silly for the GOP. It means basically all of Biden's support, which by all measures is currently enough to defeat Trump, goes to whoever steps in immediately and there's no time given for that to change. Any other candidate is weaker against Trump, so they'd want them in as soon as possible to continue to erode their support.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Was the problem that people didn't believe the allegations, or that they just don't care, or don't feel it's that pressing of an issue considering what's at stake?
He's a rapist but people want Trump out of office. That's what it comes down to and no one else showed they could get the votes. Chances are Americans voters don't care. It's the truth, just a really ugly one.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
You're leaving out the part where this call happened after she filed a complaint against Biden for sexually harassing her. That is her original claim.
Employment documents provided by Reade show that she worked in Biden's office from December 1992 to August 1993.

Reade recalled a handful of times Biden touched her. On one occasion they were before a group of interns when he put his finger on her neck. She doesn't remember how many times Biden touched her in that manner, she said.

"I was trying to be seen as a professional," Reade added.

Reade said her expulsion from Biden's office stemmed from an early 1993 staff argument over the suggestion she serve drinks at an event. According to Reade, Biden wanted her to serve because he liked her legs. Reade didn't hear Biden make that suggestion, instead learning of it through his staff's argument. Reade opted against serving drinks, a move she believes sidelined her career.

The friend in whom Reade confided at the time said they discussed Biden. Reade asked her friend if she should take any action. Being young and relatively new to D.C., she wondered if anything was wrong with Biden's behavior.

The confidant said she asked if Reade would let her younger sister work in the office. When Reade said "no" to the hypothetical question, her friend said Biden's actions weren't appropriate.

Reade said she spoke to U.S. Senate personnel about her concerns. Word got back to Biden's office.

"My life was hell," Reade said. "This was about power and control."

"I couldn't get a job on the Hill," she added.

In June 1993 Reade found herself in an office without windows. Two months later she left Biden's office, she said.

Reade said Biden's senior staff protected the senator. She was considered a distraction. Reade said she didn't consider the acts toward her sexualization. She instead compared her experience to being a lamp.

"It's pretty. Set it over there," she said. "Then when it's too bright, you throw it away."

Reade said she tried to share her story when she worked for Biden, but was told to say nothing. Then Biden ran on Barack Obama's ticket. Reade thought he may have changed.

https://www.theunion.com/news/nevad...d-her-while-working-in-his-u-s-senate-office/

So the harassment and the reduced roles in the office from April 2019 are supported by her mother's call.

The allegation of rape of last month is not really supported by this phone call.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting until the last minute would be silly for the GOP. It means basically all of Biden's support, which by all measures is currently enough to defeat Trump, goes to whoever steps in immediately and there's no time given for that to change. Any other candidate is weaker against Trump, so they'd want them in as soon as possible to continue to erode their support.

I'm not sure why you are presenting this as fact when it was reported that there was significant debate within his campaign about whether or not pushing Bernie to be the nominee would've backfired or not.

Oct 26, 2017
Well if that was indeed her mother then I don't see how anyone can doubt the credibility of her allegation at this point.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why you are presenting this as fact when it was reported that there was significant debate within his campaign about whether or not pushing Bernie to be the nominee would've backfired or not.

You mean Trump's campaign? Not exactly the pinnacle of competence. I think they'd be silly not to want to face literally any other candidate that ran in the primary than Joe Biden.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
https://www.theunion.com/news/nevad...d-her-while-working-in-his-u-s-senate-office/

So the harassment and the reduced roles in the office from April 2019 are supported by her mother's call.

The allegation of rape of last month is not really supported by this phone call.
Again, this is more corroborating evidence that she is credible and trustworthy. It doesn't have to prove that she told her mother about her sexual assault. She was never going to betray her trust and admit that on fucking Larry King.

I don't know why you left the sexual harassment part out of her original claim...

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This is sadly going to be swept under the rug cause "Biden is the only way".

What a mess.

He is the only way now. If all of this had come out earlier, the landscape would have been changed. But now it is Biden vs. Trump and there's no way around that.

Him stepping down because of the allegation would send the party into a tailspin and I don't believe they would be able to pull out of it.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
It's only a matter of time till Tara Reade shows up center stage on a Trump rally describing what happened to her as CNN/NBC/FOX all broadcast to the nation. Biden could do the same, but republicans will be unphased. Dems on the other hand will feel dirty voting or showing enthusiasm, lowering turn out.

Could you imagine the audio for the transcript in the OP playing on a TV ad as it cycles through the various clips of biden being creepy. Dem turnout will be crushed.

I would be careful in saying that, not everyone is waiting for a chance to get on stage with Trump, another rapist

What she chooses to do is up to her, but with people already saying she was a Putin agent, won't help to also be called a Trump agent. Keep in mind...

"You all need to vote for who you wish."

Which should have been taken as a "decent" thing to say to voters at this time, yet some decided from that point on to savagely attack her on Twitter 🤷‍♂️

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean Trump's campaign? Not exactly the pinnacle of competence. I think they'd be silly not to want to face literally any other candidate that ran in the primary than Joe Biden.

the pinnacle of competence that...won them the election??? The pinnacle of competence that has granted them a minimum of 40% support nation wide over the last four years?

don't let your galaxy brain think they dont know how to campaign, because clearly reality doesn't support that.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The pinnacle of competence that has granted them a minimum of 40% support nation wide over the last four years?
I won't get into "crediting Trump's campaign for something with a billion different headwinds even professionals in poli sci haven't completely researched" again, but I'm pretty sure even Herbert Hoover and Walter Mondale managed to win 40% of the vote - it seems to be the two-party floor in the post-Civil War era

correct and now it's which shitshow is more preferable to democrats, moving on from a serial harasser and rapist or moving forward with a serial harasser and rapist
option 3: time travel

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the pinnacle of competence that...won them the election??? The pinnacle of competence that has granted them a minimum of 40% support nation wide?

Yes. First, it wasn't competence that won in 2016. Second, the team is not what it was in 2016 because Trump is a walking disaster.

Do you think that republican base is attracted to competence? Because I don't.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why you guys are saying far right media isn't "reporting" on this when Breitbart and The Daily Caller both have articles on the subject.

Yeah, people saying it's not happening haven't taken five seconds to actually confirm if that is the case.

You'll know a concerted Republican push when you see it on Fox and Friends, Tucker, Laura ingraham, and Hannity.

And then Trump will tweet it out.

They're obviously waiting for a good time to maximize damage.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Again, this is more corroborating evidence that she is credible and trustworthy. It doesn't have to prove that she told her mother about her sexual assault. She was never going to betray her trust and admit that on fucking Larry King.

I don't know why you left the sexual harassment part out of her original claim...
This is corroborating evidence to her being pushed out of the office.

I don't know why we're arguing, I'm saying that this bolsters her harassment claim.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Yes. First, it wasn't competence that won in 2016. Second, the team is not what it was in 2016 because Trump is a walking disaster.

This is ignoring reality. I don't disagree with your thoughts on their team now but saying competent campaigning and planning didn't help Trump win in 2016 is factually wrong.

And lying to yourself, implying that they just lucked into the White House, is an attitude that will only lead to bad things.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
option 3: time travel

I personally think someone who didn't run during the primary should be picked to limit the pettiness that would follow a runner up to biden getting the nod

this leads directly down a road that makes me feel icky already but goddammit if it's gotta be cuomo over biden then let's just a move on already

it's not going to be bernie or warren so let's just go with the layup to beat trump

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it doesn't get to the point where people are accepting of Biden so long as he only harassed her instead of raping her. (This isn't directed at anyone, I just feel Iike the discourse around the situation might turn into that with some voters).

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This a non sequitur, the point of contention is that it was credibly reported that the trump campaign was split on who was going to be the best general election match up. You responded that they aren't smart, which kind of flies in the face of the political strategy that they've been operating successfully for the past 5 years. I'm not arguing about whether or not MAGAts are drawn to competence, but disregarding their campaign as incompetent when it comes to political strategy just highlights that you are grossly under estimating a campaign that has already won one election and weathered a whole impeachment trial. Begging to repeat 2016 all over again.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I personally think someone who didn't run during the primary should be picked to limit the pettiness that would follow a runner up to biden getting the nod
Have to think in this situation they try to draft Michelle Obama or someone else who declined to run this year (though frankly I'm not sure who else would fit - Cuomo? Murphy? Jerry Brown randomly parachutes back in for one last ride?)

You responded that they aren't smart, which kind of flies in the face of the political strategy that they've been operating successfully for the past 5 years.
It's been so wildly successful that they've lost 40 House seats, 9 governor's mansions, and are at serious risk of giving up in numerical terms every Obama-era gain they made in state legislatures!

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And all of this because you're expressing skepticism on this story because you're assuming that the GOP would jump at the chance to replace Biden with somebody else in November. That's not a conclusion you can draw with any certainty

have to think in this situation they try to draft Michelle Obama or someone else who declined to run this year

It's been so wildly successful that they've lost 40 House seats, 9 governor's mansions, and are at serious risk of giving up in numerical terms every Obama-era gain they made in state legislatures!

Trump wasn't on the ballot! I'm not about to sit here and relitigate the past 4 years because y'all are high on your own supply

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is ignoring reality. I don't disagree with your thoughts on their team now but saying competent campaigning and planning didn't help Trump win in 2016 is factually wrong.

And lying to yourself, implying that they just lucked into the White House, is an attitude that will only lead to bad things.

Yeah, I don't think serious analysis of the 2016 election suggests overwhelming competence made the difference for the Trump campaign. I don't know if I would say they entirely lucked into the win but it had less to do with their ability to make critical decisions intelligently than it did factors around them aligning with their behavior.

This a non sequitur, the point of contention is that it was credibly reported that the trump campaign was split on who was going to be the best general election match up. You responded that they aren't smart, which kind of flies in the face of the political strategy that they've been operating successfully for the past 5 years. I'm not arguing about whether or not MAGAts are drawn to competence, but disregarding their campaign as incompetent when it comes to political strategy just highlights that you are grossly under estimating a campaign that has already won one election and weathered a whole impeachment trial. Begging to repeat 2016 all over again.

You think Donald Trump's campaign has been successful the past 4 years? I don't think the numbers support that conclusion at all. With a great economy his numbers were basically dogshit. Republicans were trounced in 2018 largely due to Trump.