• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New news, new thread:

Quotes from the article itself:

In interviews with The Intercept, Reade also mentioned that her mother had made a phone call to "Larry King Live" on CNN, during which she made reference to her daughter's experience on Capitol Hill. Reade told The Intercept that her mother called in asking for advice after Reade, then in her 20s, left Biden's office. "I remember it being an anonymous call and her saying my daughter was sexually harassed and retaliated against and fired, where can she go for help? I was mortified," Reade told me.

On August 11, 1993, King aired a program titled, "Washington: The Cruelest City on Earth?" Toward the end of the program, he introduces a caller dialing in from San Luis Obispo, California. Congressional records list August 1993 as Reade's last month of employment with Biden's Senate office, and, according to property records, Reade's mother, Jeanette Altimus, was living in San Luis Obispo County. Here is the transcript of the beginning of the call:

KING: San Luis Obispo, California, hello.
CALLER: Yes, hello. I'm wondering what a staffer would do besides go to the press in Washington? My daughter has just left there, after working for a prominent senator, and could not get through with her problems at all, and the only thing she could have done was go to the press, and she chose not to do it out of respect for him.
KING: In other words, she had a story to tell but, out of respect for the person she worked for, she didn't tell it?
CALLER: That's true.
King's panel of guests offered no suggestions, and instead the conversation veered into a discussion of whether any of the men on set would leak damaging personal information about a rival to the press.

Reade, after being read the transcript of the call, said that it gelled with her memory of it, and that she was sure it was her mother, despite the audio not yet being available.

Source: https://theintercept.com/2020/04/24/new-evidence-tara-reade-joe-biden/

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a shitshow the 2020 elections are.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty weak to be honest. I mean "Reade, after being read the transcript of the call, said that it gelled with her memory of it, and that she was sure it was her mother, despite the audio not yet being available."

To be clear, I'm not saying she isn't believable or shouldn't be believed. Just that this particular piece of evidence is weak.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
I was wondering if they were going to find that call, seems they have. Good on the few who have been taking this seriously in the journalist realm from the start.

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty weak to be honest. I mean "Reade, after being read the transcript of the call, said that it gelled with her memory of it, and that she was sure it was her mother, despite the audio not yet being available."

To be clear, I'm not saying she isn't believable or shouldn't be believed. Just that this particular piece of evidence is weak.
You're not saying it, you're just implying it

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit... vague?

I though that her leaving under circumstances wasn't in question, just what the circumstances actually were?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
What were the allegations back then? That he made remarks about her legs and wanted her to serve drinks? I'm guessing detractors will just say that those are the allegations that were being discussed. I'm afraid this is just more evidence of what people already believe. If you believe her it's evidence that the assault took place. If you don't, it's evidence that what she said back then took place.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

To be clear, I'm not saying she isn't believable or shouldn't be believed.
It corroborates that she not only told her mother about the incident at the time but also heavily implies that she did file a complaint.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Being forced to vote for one of two potential sexual assaulters in November is a 'good' way to cap off the hell that has been 2020.

Ultraviolence

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): hostility

woah dude you're so smart that disclaimer saying you're not doing what you're doing will totally keep people from calling you out bro!

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
It does seem like valid circumstantial evidence.

One issue is the article says the caller didn't specifically mention sexual harassment or what exactly the problem was, but does suggest it was serious.

There are several notable things about the emergence of the call. On the one hand, the caller does not specifically mention "sexual harassment" or retaliation, as Reade had recalled. On the other hand, the reference to being unable to "get through with her problems" aligns with Reade's claim that she complained to superiors in Biden's office and got nowhere, and the reference to going to the press makes clear that the caller is talking about more than just generic problems at the office. The problems, she makes clear, would damage the senator if exposed.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017

The host said the call was from San Luis Obispo, California which has a population of around 43,000 in the 90s.
Property records show that Tara's mom lived there during that time.

It was placed in the same month after Tara was fired.

It would be a hell of a coincidence.

Seven of Nine

Oct 27, 2017
I hope there is justice for Reade. Full investigation, hopefully speaking to the people that Reade complained to. That sadly won't happen, and if it does it will be a political hitjob that undermines the veracity of the whole thing.

At this point, everyone should know that Biden did in fact do something that qualifies as sexual harassment. I wish the Democratic Party leadership had been principled enough to ask him to call off his campaign, or that Biden would show any amount of remorse. I could vote for someone with this on their record if they had previously admitted the wrongdoing and had learned. I would need to believe they had truly reformed and would not be a risk of abusing their authority.

Instead I am going to vote against the other credibly accused rapist who has already shown he cannot be trusted. If Biden runs to be re-elected I will work for nearly any candidate that chooses to primary him.

That's about the best I can do, given the terrible options there are.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
It does seem like valid circumstantial evidence.

One issue is the article says the caller didn't specifically mention sexual harassment or what exactly the problem was, but does suggest it was serious.
People have false memories especially if it's just spoken words as long as it can be reasonably traced that it was in fact her mother or that it was a high chance, there's little reason not to believe it wasn't about this as it has been corroborated by her brother and friend that she told them.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
of course people come crawling out of the woodwork to be like "oh it's not a 4K video of the incident with director commentary, no point even thinking about it"

it confirms a timeline though doesn't it. Unless you want to stick with the 25 year Russian sleeper agent plot.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Democrats should immediately impeach Biden once he gets elected.

no offense but this is one of the absolute dumbest rallying cries that's been popping up to shield biden from stepping down

that people are even trying to make this a thing is incredibly damning

it's fucking april, if we're already trying to make impeachment plans for our nominee maybe he shouldn't be our nominee! crazy, I know

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I still think it merits a thread since it's important to at least make the media examine new findings even if people have made up their minds— but this update is also not even clear in what the specific problem was. From a court's perspective it could just as readily have been fraud or murder or wages. As evidence it definitely suggests Tara made contemporary complaints.

if it's actually her mother it's much more meaningful since even a deliberate political assault is hardly going to be planned decades in advance with someone's mom.

if nothing else it's a lead that should be followed. Tara also needs better or more reputable media allies than The Intercept. There's a Pulitzer waiting for someone who proves (or disproves) or ratifies her claim. I'm not surprised Glenn is chasing this but I am surprised the right wing media hasn't attempted a more serious investigation.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Folks who seriously pushed that Krassenstein article should honestly feel ashamed of themselves.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It would be nice if we could just start with someone fucking asking him about this, directly. Not his PR staff, not the marketing department, not Bernie or AOC, ask Biden.
would certainly help if MSNBC would fuckin' ask during one of these "media streams" he keeps doing so that there'd be something on the record from him directly one way or another

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
A lot of people and outlets want to give the appearance of caring without actually doing Biden harm

Ask Biden, and then people can move on from there when he responds. I mean, okay, maybe its good this call has come to light before asking, but there's no excuse now not to approach him.

Campaign protection is irrelevant, Trump is out every day nuking his own campaign, so the media should stop thinking like it matters when there is a relevant question to ask Biden.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Ask Biden, and then people can move on from there when he responds. I mean, okay, maybe its good this call has come to light before asking, but there's no excuse now not to approach him.

Campaign protection is irrelevant, Trump is out every day nuking his own campaign, so the media should stop thinking like it matters when there is a relevant question to ask Biden.

plus it doesn't really "hurt" Biden's electability considering his opponent's supporters gladly line up to vote for someone with tens of sexual harassment allegations

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't serve Biden or his camp to seriously address the allegations because at worst the sexual assault happened or at best he was committedly sleazy in the same way that made Al Franken resign.

the Official campaign stance of "we deny it but encourage investigation" meanwhile pressuring major outlets like NYT to make sure there's no negative framing of the things that are already public record

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
I still think it merits a thread since it's important to at least make the media examine new findings even if people have made up their minds— but this update is also not even clear in what the specific problem was. From a court's perspective it could just as readily have been fraud or murder or wages. As evidence it definitely suggests Tara made contemporary complaints.

if it's actually her mother it's much more meaningful since even a deliberate political assault is hardly going to be planned decades in advance with someone's mom.

if nothing else it's a lead that should be followed. Tara also needs better or more reputable media allies than The Intercept. There's a Pulitzer waiting for someone who proves (or disproves) or ratifies her claim. I'm not surprised Glenn is chasing this but I am surprised the right wing media hasn't attempted a more serious investigation.
What makes the Intercept unreliable? It broke the Kavanaugh rape story. Also, these public accusations aren't held to criminal standards. People can decide if they think he did it. He isn't going to prison since the statute of limitation is up.

Also, how will she get better political allies when this story broke through when it was discovered Time's Up wouldn't take her case because she was accusing Joe Biden of sexual assault? There is no avenue in the mainstream press that wants this story.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
So that's another part of her account substantiated. Anyone believing still that this has all been made up this year has no legs to stand on.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
At this point you have to wonder where the reluctance to ask him directly comes from. Is it fear of being blamed if he loses? Is it a fear of losing access in the age of Trump?

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
At this point you have to wonder where the reluctance to ask him directly comes from. Is it fear of being blamed if he loses? Is it a fear of losing access in the age of Trump?
Joe Biden is shielded from the press right now with the coronavirus and the media is generally carrying water for the presumptive Democratic nominee.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What makes the Intercept unreliable? It broke the Kavanaugh rape story. Also, these public accusations aren't held to criminal standards. People can decide if they think he did it. He isn't going to prison since the statute of limitation is up.

Also, how will she get better political allies when this story broke through when it was discovered Time's Up wouldn't take her case because she was accusing Joe Biden of sexual assault? There is no avenue in the mainstream press that wants this story.

The Intercept is unreliable or suspect meanwhile The New York Times was caving to pressure by the campaign on reasonable framing of facts of public record!

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
It doesn't serve Biden or his camp to seriously address the allegations because at worst the sexual assault happened or at best he was committedly sleazy in the same way that made Al Franken resign.

the Official campaign stance of "we deny it but encourage investigation" meanwhile pressuring major outlets like NYT to make sure there's no negative framing of the things that are already public record

We shouldn't be waiting on them to do it though, it's up to the people to pressure the media or anyone with the kinds of access necessary to force Biden to address it.