• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it finally time for an optional Achievement System for the Nintendo Switch?

• Yes, come on nintendo. Don't make me beg.

Votes: 565 40.2%
  • Maybe, i don't really care either way.

Votes: 426 30.3%
  • No, i don't want/need this.

Votes: 413 29.4%

• Total voters

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
How many times are they going to have to push away "collect all Korok Seeds" or "defeat the superboss in Xenoblade" achievements

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
I'm far more entertained watching BOTW trick videos knowing that there isn't an achievement system there. Nintendo is my only solace away from them, where I don't have to actively go out of my to permanently disable notifications on them.

I still just can't see any value they add. Never have, and honestly I doubt I ever will. My free time gets more and more limited as I age and I just don't care to artificially extend the life of a game once I've completed it to my satisfaction. Truth be told I am still blown away and incredibly envious of people who can buy games day one and exchange them a week later because they've already finished them. Hell I'm still working on God of War since I got it last Christmas

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
I love trophies. I like the planning and organization aspects of it. But I haven't played anything on the Switch that felt like it would be good or better with achievements.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm far more entertained watching BOTW trick videos knowing that there isn't an achievement system there. Nintendo is my only solace away from them, where I don't have to actively go out of my to permanently disable notifications on them.
Out of your way? You mean a few clicks on a device you'll be actively using for years?

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I never cared about achievements on the 360 or PS3 and I'll continue to not care about them now. But I guess options are good as long as they're options. I don't want achievements in my game.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
still puzzle over how it was that we managed to have fun playing games for so, so many years before the arrival of achievements. i mean, no achievements? none? boggles the mind :) ...

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Love and respect!

I'm fine with or without achievements. I only go for trophies when I finish a game and I only have a few easy ones left to get or if I really love a game and I just want to do everything I can with it. So if people like hunting them then they're there and if they don't care like me, nothing really changes.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kinda enjoy no achievements. A lot of Nintendo games are very laid back and I think achievements introduces a competitiveness to games that in some titles doesn't need to be there.

Competitive with who? Achievements are fun. Nintendo games are fun. Nintendo games can certainly be challenging. I don't get this argument.

I tend to skip third party/indie games on Switch when I can buy them on other platforms with achievements. And I don't care about getting all achievements or obsess over them, it just adds another dimension.

Hot take: I feel many Nintendo fans are just stubborn. A few years before Switch they were constantly talking about how PSP was a failure because console games do not belong on a handheld. And now achievements will tarnish their Nintendo experience.

Meanwhile, plenty of Nintendo games have internal achievements already. Nobody is complaining about those creating an unpure experience.. make them system-wide.

Last edited:

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I've disabled pop ups and ignored all achievements from the beginning of this gen. I forget they're even a thing most of the time.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'd be down, ONLY if they could be totally ignored, everywhere. I mean I wouldn't want to see other people's unlocks, no feeds, nothing. If they could implement it to where one could opt out unconditionally, then go for it. IIRC, when both Microsoft and Sony brought them, you couldn't ignore the at first.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a hardcore trophy chaser, that is to say I won't ever buy a game just to get free trophies, but I do love going for the more realistic ones in games I already enjoy.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't care about achievements personally, but since I know there are people who like them I would be in favor of adding them. I just don't want unlockables tied to the really hard ones to get.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I was really into achievements/trophies during the 360/PS3 days and even during the first year of PS4/XB1. What made me ultimately give up on achievements and trophies was I started to notice that I would buy/rent games just for easy achievements. To add to that, even for games I did want (such as GTA IV for example), I would often check an achievement guide before even playing a game in fear of encountering a missable achievement. This would sometimes lead me to see spoilers for the game. The final nail in the coffin for me was when games started to include online-only achievements that would become unattainable (barring boosting) if when the playerbase dwindles. Eventually I just didn't care and turned the notification off. It was quite liberating to be honest.

With that said, during the early days, I enjoyed them for the challenge and the way they make you attempt something that was out of your wheelhouse. A perfect example of this is the Zombie Genocider achievement in the first Dead Rising. For those unaware, for a cool 20G you had to kill a total of 53,594 zombies. The best method was to drive a vehicle in the underground parking tunnels. You would stock up on orange juice, head to the parking entrance, grab the convertible and drive back and forth over zombies. After a few runs, you needed to change vehicles. The achievement would take around 4 hours. The memorable thing for me about this achievement wasn't the process, but rather a moment during it. At about the 3 hour mark I decided to get a bit greedy and started to squeeze an extra run or two in before my car died. Well this almost bit me in the ass during one run when my car died midway through the tunnel. Panicked and afraid that I would lose 3 hours of progress, I was hoping, running and chugging my orange juice until, thankfully, I was able to spot and enter a new vehicle. It was the most tense 3-5 minutes of my life :).

Oct 27, 2017
I dislike achievements. Back when I still had a Playstation, i disabled the notification, but was disappointed to learn you can't opt-out. Even with notifications turned off, my account was still earning achievements, even though I didn't want them. I straight up wanted it gone, and you can't get rid of it. My profile listed game achievemnts I had, and the icon for it was still on the ui.

I would only be okay with Nintendo doing achievements as long as it has a true opt-out.
-No achievement icon/area on the ui
-No mention of achievements anywhere.
-Anyone viewing my profile will not see any achievement data for my account, and will not be able to compare, or view anything.
-I don't want to see anyone else's achievements.

Has to be a real opt-out, not the fake opt-out on Playstation. Don't force this nonsense on me.

Last edited:

Yasamuu

Oct 28, 2017
I like achievements, they often help get a little more content out of a game I might feel like I'm finished with.

Having said that, if there were achievements in BOTW, I don't think I'd have had the same experience. It's one of the most relaxing games I've played and having achievements attached would have changed that.

Jun 23, 2018
Canada
If people really need a sticker on their console's ephemeral profile page that badly, as a reward for doing something arbitrary in-game like "defeat 10 enemies" "finish the tutorial" "do anything else you were already going to do anyway" "do something you would never have any reason to even remotely want to bother doing otherwise" "look up a female NPC's skirt", then power to Nintendo to add them, I guess, as long as I can completely nuke the feature on my end. I enjoyed collecting achievements when I was like, 17 and had nothing better to do, but now they're just clutter and 99% of the time the task required of you is either needlessly pointless or something you have to do anyway for progression. Don't really see why people would actively clamor for them like they're some must-have feature.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I turn off notifications but enjoy trophies/achievements, mostly as a kind of logging or diary system.
I like to look back to see when I finished the story mode or beat this difficult optional boss or whatever. It's nice.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike achievements. Back when I still had a Playstation, i disabled the notification, but was disappointed to learn you can't opt-out. Even with notifications turned off, my account was still earning achievements, even though I didn't want them. I straight up wanted it gone, and you can't get rid of it. My profile listed game achievemnts I had, and the icon for it was still on the ui.

I would only be okay with Nintendo doing achievements as long as it has a true opt-out.
-No achievement icon/area on the ui
-No mention of achievements anywhere.
-Anyone viewing my profile will not see any achievement data for my account, and will not be able to compare, or view anything.
-I don't want to see anyone else's achievements.

Has to be a real opt-out, not the fake opt-out on Playstation. Don't force this nonsense on me.

Does it really matter? I thought the entire argument was the notification takes you out of the game? I record is not going to ruin your gaming experiance.

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda enjoy no achievements. A lot of Nintendo games are very laid back and I think achievements introduces a competitiveness to games that in some titles doesn't need to be there.

Competitiveness? You know you can switch off any notifications of achievements if you don't want them. Don't get how they still bother people. If you don't care about them then don't pay attention to them.

MrWonderworld

Sep 18, 2018
I didn't need achievements in my games 25 years ago when I started gaming and I don't need them now. As long as I can turn them off, I'm fine.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped enjoying trophies when I realised how much I hated grindy or collectathon trophies. Especially collectables, and especially in linear games. Its bad enough finding all the stuff in a Ubisoft game (but hey, at least they are marked on the map!) but doing that in Uncharted, missing one at the end of a level and having to replay it? Pain in the butt. Then again, I did all the pigeons in GTA IV so that's probably why I hate them, nothing has been designed worse than those things...

I prefer it when games try to put some effort into trophies - I loved both the Mega Man X Collection (1) and Mega Man 11 as it had you replaying certain levels in unique ways and I loved going after them.

Weirdly online trophies don't really bother me any more. I barely play online save for Monster Hunter and SFV sometimes, and while I tended to hate them back when I would try 100%ing games, I don't really care about their inclusion now. I'll never go after them but it doesn't bother me either.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I love the dumb little achievements/ trophies where you think, "Oh, I wonder if I can get an achievement from doing this?" and you do. It's a shame that 99% of them are distracting and annoying because you get them from just playing the game normally.

I turned them off a couple years ago but I will go through them if I'm looking for an excuse to play more of a game I've already completed.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I don't know how much effort they are to put in but I appreciate them being there as an option for when I want to do additional things in a game I like.
I dont really understand anyone being totally against them as they are easy to ignore.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
When I was much younger about a decade or so, I got in an achievement race to catch up with a guy that was always in the xbox ecosystem sometime after I got a 360. I eventually started to play bad games like King Kong just for the achievements. It's a dumb number that makes people do dumb things to make it go higher. I'm glad I dont care like that anymore and just play what I want.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Games already have achievements. Why would I want to brag about them to other people who don't give a shit about me?

And why would I want my friends to be preoccupied into doing the same?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My issue with achievements is that i feel like it encourages devs to create padding that exists only for the sake of getting one

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I don't ever actively go for achievements at this point but Nintendo should really have a system.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
still puzzle over how it was that we managed to have fun playing games for so, so many years before the arrival of achievements. i mean, no achievements? none? boggles the mind :) ...

You could say the same about any new thing in gaming some people like and it would never make a good argument at all.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
"Achievements" in games should give you something in game. Even if it's largely pointless. This whole grind for the sake of grind never made sense to me.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Achievements" in games should give you something in game. Even if it's largely pointless. This whole grind for the sake of grind never made sense to me.

This is what nintendo already does. Most of their games have some sorts of rewards for doing things that aren't just beating the game. I mean Yoshi and Odyssey are prime examples.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Trophies made me replay Bloodborne and try out the chalice dungeons to get the platinum which I wouldn't have tried otherwise and it was a fresh and amazing new experience (Some of the dungeon bosses are waaaay harder than story bosses).

They also made me replay and continue playing countless videogames. For example, I played Persona 4 Golden's new game+ mode over 5 years to beat the secret boss and get the final trophy for the platinum and it was so damn satisfying. I know I wouldn't have done it if the platinum was not locked behind it.

When done right, trophies/achievements can really benefit a game's longevity. All this are optional too so I don't see the issue with trophies/achievements.

DSoup

Oct 28, 2017
London
I couldn't care less about achievements, trophies and badges. My enjoyment of a game is not relative to other people's progress or decisions. I disable as much of the UI and notifications that each platform allows.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Achievements thrown into a game just for the sake of having them tend to be pretty bad, it makes more sense to let devs decide whether to add them so they'll only add them if they feel like they can make the game better that way. Nobody wants a bunch of "kill 100 enemies", "kill 1000 enemies" achievements.

Also the "100%ing achievements must be doable for everybody" mentality sucks, stick achievements on actual achievements and if it's an ultra-tough raid boss.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have turned off notifications for achievements/trophies so no - please dont bring that crap to Switch also

They

- take you out of the gameworld
- makes you do pointless tasks
- makes every game a checklist

Frankly i find nothing to like about then

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this is a fantastic idea for a show. Actual gameplay, half scripted parts half freeform, audience engagement..good all around.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I just got the Sleeping Dogs platinum trophy the other day. After roughly 3-4 years I wanted to scratch that open world itch, so I went back to it. I managed to squeeze out another very enjoyable 15 hours or so out of a game which I've completed years ago. I'm not the type of person who replays that many titles so that was brilliant.

Achievements would give me a reason to complete Pokémon and Zelda on Switch.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I know i can turn off the notification and ignore them completely, but it drives me crazy that it is still there in the background so they should be removed altogether. I dont really care if other people like them.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird because achievements sound like the most Nintendo idea ever. I bet you when they do get around to doing it, everyone is going to act like it's the best thing ever.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
It's weird because achievements sound like the most Nintendo idea ever. I bet you when they do get around to doing it, everyone is going to act like it's the best thing ever.
Unless they completely re-invent the wheel with them, they won't be getting much praise from me.

I'd much rather have the Activity Log from the 3Ds/WiiU implemented on Switch than any system-wide achievement system.