• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like the movie to be about?

• Canonize Cooler dammit!

Votes: 183 43.4%
  • Adapt the Moro manga arc!

Votes: 61 14.5%
  • A battle for the multiverse!

Votes: 43 10.2%
  • Adapt the Granolah manga arc!

Votes: 24 5.7%
  • Canonize Super Android 17, no really

Votes: 27 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 84 19.9%

• Total voters

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
"unexplored territory in terms of visual aesthetics" has me so excited

Broly was already nothing but net visually so seeing where they take things from there is just going to be a treat

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Slightly off topic:

I'm going through the Moro arc right now (just reached the part where Goku and Vegeta seperate to train) and I'm pleasantly surprised.

I really didn't like most of the manga's versions of events compared to the anime and I had heard a lot of criticism around Moro, but honestly? It's the best thing in Super thus far.

There is an actual sense of danger and dread.
New characters are interesting.
Returning characters get some great moments.
It uses lots of old DBZ lore to strong effect.
The fights are excellent.
The character moments are strong, particularly for Vegeta who gets some meaty character development that I never realized I wanted so badly.

Now mind you, I'm only a third of the way through. There's plenty of time for it to get stupid and I'm still dreading the infamous senzu bean moment that Toyataru tweeted about. Ugh. But I'm liking it so far.

thanks for pushing me to read it everyone!

Oct 28, 2017
Slightly off topic:

I'm going through the Moro arc right now (just reached the part where Goku and Vegeta seperate to train) and I'm pleasantly surprised.

I really didn't like most of the manga's versions of events compared to the anime and I had heard a lot of criticism around Moro, but honestly? It's the best thing in Super thus far.

The character moments are strong, particularly for Vegeta who gets some meaty character development that I never realized I wanted so badly.

Now mind you, I'm only a third of the way through. There's plenty of time for it to get stupid and I'm still dreading the infamous senzu bean moment that Toyataru tweeted about. Ugh. But I'm liking it so far.

Be prepared is all I'm going to tell you.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Slightly off topic:

It all comes tumbling down...tumbling down

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
Is it possible they could also be making a series? Only recently got back into anime. Does this company usually do one instead of the other?

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Toei actually likes the character though? He got a lot of attention when the anime was running.
Some people feel just because Gohan didn't clean sweep the ToP he was wasted. What they did with Gohan in the 2nd half of Super was really good but it's never gonna be enough for people who feel betrayed that Gohan had a back seat(or wasn't even in the car) for a lot of DB post-Cell

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Slightly off topic:

It's a much better read all at once. I just think Moro becomes a less interesting villain as the arc goes on. But it's still a fun read.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
I know its an almost necessary production crutch, but the CG segments in these DBS movies are always absolute shit. Made all the more shitty because FighterZ exists and does 3D Dragon Ball to perfection. Was hoping we'd be beyond them now since people raved about Broly's art style enough.

If the whole thing is CG, we riot.

Cabba and Tarble fusion: Carble?

May 30, 2018
If they bring back Cooler, his design should be changed to this

latest

Brings him more in line with his brother.

I bet the unexpected character is Jiren tho

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Toyiyama is wierd in that him making up random shit as he goes along is better then him plotting out a begining middle and end in one shot

It's why the arcs in super are real basic

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if the new visual aesthetics mean we could finally get space battles in Dragonball, or if that will remain forbidden. They could go crazy with the visuals if they were willing to make the characters get kicked out of planets, fly between planets, blow them up alongside moons and such all in the middle of a fight rather than keeping them grounded to inhabited planets that can't be blown up outside of dramatic moments and space in general being forbidden.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
Is there actually any reason we should be expecting Cooler in particular? I had no idea people were clamoring for him. I'm personally not a huge fan, since I don't see what he brings to the table that Frieza doesn't already have covered. But then I was wrong about Broly, so I'm sure they could make him entertaining...just would prefer something new.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I hope it's about a different Universe. There's so much to explore now that they opened those possibilities.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there actually any reason we should be expecting Cooler in particular? I had no idea people were clamoring for him. I'm personally not a huge fan, since I don't see what he brings to the table that Frieza doesn't already have covered. But then I was wrong about Broly, so I'm sure they could make him entertaining...just would prefer something new.
Wasn't he alluded to in Broly?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Toyiyama is wierd in that him making up random shit as he goes along is better then him plotting out a begining middle and end in one shot

It's why the arcs in super are real basic

Super was essentially preoccupied with introducing and establishing other universes/deities, it took up a lot of the saga's time. I'm ready for Moro and Granolah (and whatever after) to give us more Z-like structures

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
People are expecting a new version of an old character because that's what the Broly movie did. And Cooler is the 2nd most popular movie villain, so if they were going to pick another one, he seems like the obvious choice. I think Heroes picking Cooler and giving him a golden form of his own shows Toriyama had no interest in using the character though.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there actually any reason we should be expecting Cooler in particular?

Nope. Toriyama says the movie will feature an unexpected character, which could mean anything. People want certain movie villains such as Cooler and Janemba to become canon like Broly. Janemba is much more interesting as a concept, though I've always loved Cooler's design.

I don't exactly want another one-off movie villain again, so I hope this movie takes a more different approach than expected.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
The whole "DBZ Movie Villain, now canon!" would feel very gimmicky to do again right after the Broly film. I hope its something more original

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't he alluded to in Broly?

I can't remember if he was, but now you have me wondering...

People are expecting a new version of an old character because that's what the Broly movie did. And Cooler is the 2nd most popular movie villain, so if they were going to pick another one, he seems like the obvious choice. I think Heroes picking Cooler and giving him a golden form of his own shows Toriyama had no interest in using the character though.
Nope. Toriyama says the movie will feature an unexpected character, which could mean anything. People want certain movie villains such as Cooler and Janemba to become canon like Broly. Janemba is much more interesting as a concept, though I've always loved Cooler's design.

I don't exactly want another one-off movie villain again, so I hope this movie takes a more different approach than expected.

Good points. I'm hopeful that it'll be something a little more interesting. I'm guessing we'll have to wait a while to find out, though (not expecting much more than the Toriyama quote in the official announcement).

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Can we take Frieza and all characters related to him and chuck them into a bottomless pit?

I'm so sick of this character after Super and the movie.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Toriyama even remembers he wrote an ending to Z at this point. Just how close are we going to get to that without actually being there.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going against the grain here and predicting Bardock as the unexpected character.

The fact that Goku hasnt met his father yet needs to be addressed imo.

Maybe the movie intros with a new character reviving the entire Saiyan race with the Super Dragon Balls. Could be a nice segway from the Granola anti-Saiyan story arc.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Ready for more; The Broly movie was absolutely amazing! It's the best thing they've made since DBZ.