• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like the movie to be about?

• Canonize Cooler dammit!

Votes: 183 43.4%
  • Adapt the Moro manga arc!

Votes: 61 14.5%
  • A battle for the multiverse!

Votes: 43 10.2%
  • Adapt the Granolah manga arc!

Votes: 24 5.7%
  • Canonize Super Android 17, no really

Votes: 27 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 84 19.9%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Everything we are seeing happen in DBS is causing a change to GT, but it still very much exists and is upcoming in the franchise. They are just going to announce a "GT" that continues from DBS's story in the future. Expect to see the things that were well received to appear again even if reimagined.

I have created a vast comprehensive checklist of all the beloved things in GT:

1. SS4 [ ]
2. The IDEA of the Dragon Balls turning evil [ ]
3. The IDEA of Baby, the legacy of a race victim of the evil Saiyans [✓]

Baby has been pretty much retooled into Granolah, so that's one check

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020

1. SS4 [ ]

Yeah, these are good ideas.

Everything else?

Sucks.

Also, Norihito Sumitomo is the MVP of DBS

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017

1. SS4 [ ]

Broly's Ikari form is basically a SS4 done right.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

1. SS4 [ ]

Baby Vegeta is pretty much the only thing that matters to the fans about the character. Unless that happens in the Granolah saga then it is an entirely different thing centered around the Tuffles.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to say it, folks

Don't you make me say it!

I'm warning you!

*Deep breath*

Your ready?

Adapt Baby, give him a different name and cool-looking appearance, and have him more morally grey and ambiguous.

Have him actually fight Vegeta.

BOOM

*Flies out*

....Thoughts?

Call him... Infant.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

1. SS4 [ ]

You forgot the opening and final episode/ending

You sent me into an unholy rage of sorrow and pain.

This is what I raged to:

Ok, ok

Call him... Tot.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
You forgot the opening and final episode/ending

Ok, ok

Call him... Tot.

tenor.gif

Aran

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hyped that they finally announced something we're getting a new movie. Broly movie was fucking great. Just don't be 3d cg please.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather them do something cool with Janemba using Dabura's demon realm or something with the afterlife then see Cooler be made canon when he's always been Freeza-lite. No sense bringing him back when Freeza's still around and prominent.

Japanese fans are looking forward to it being at least someone from the Dragon Team.
Uub.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
The Japanese version of Toriyama's comment doesn't mention "unexplored territory", it just says that the visuals have been refreshed and look amazing. With the weird wording in the first sentence in the English version makes me think it was machine translated.

Also says unexpected character is "slighty unexpected" which to me sounds less like doing a new version of Cooler or something and instead probably a returning character like Broly.

The site did say that it was machine translated lol.

Oct 25, 2017
The Japanese version of Toriyama's comment doesn't mention "unexplored territory", it just says that the visuals have been refreshed and look amazing. With the weird wording in the first sentence in the English version makes me think it was machine translated.

Also says unexpected character is "slighty unexpected" which to me sounds less like doing a new version of Cooler or something and instead probably a returning character like Broly.

Krillin movie 🙏

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally some food. Slightly unexpected character playing a major role? Cool.

I hope Broly is in this movie as well. Would be a shame if they did all that work establishing him and then do nothing with him afterwards.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I'd actually be down for a movie with someone like Yamcha, showcasing him being scrappy and resourceful.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Movie will be about kid Trunks trying to buy CapsuleStation 5 without any luck and falling to despair becoming Majin Trunks.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
This is immediately where my pessimistic-ass thoughts went.

And I still can't shake it: Broly felt like a budget production, especially for a theatrical anime release.
Hopefully this one is closer to 2 hours long with a larger budget, it's a shame the Broly movie had to inject some cheap CG.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
So now that the hype is settling, is there a chance we get the new anime announced this year too?

squall23

Oct 25, 2017

1. SS4 [ ]

Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku is a top 10 anime opening, but I'm sure that doesn't count.

What I personally like about GT is Super 17's death is easily one of the greatest villain deaths in shonen.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
So now that the hype is settling, is there a chance we get the new anime announced this year too?

I'd rather they just stick with movies but if there is a new show, I'd hope they go smaller with the amount of episodes. Maybe let themselves deviate from the source material since I've heard the manga gets pretty bad.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017

It doesn't really make financial sense for them to plow money in to a tv series.

They make the majority of their money from merchandise sales. By releasing a new Movie it increases toy sales which is all they want (same effect as a new tv show with much less money spent)

the manga and dragon ball heroes keep them ticking over in the mean time

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather they just stick with movies but if there is a new show, I'd hope they go smaller with the amount of episodes. Maybe let themselves deviate from the source material since I've heard the manga gets pretty bad.
I'm not sure you can call the manga "source material", since it's not made by Akira Toriyama (this movie is) and technically the manga was behind the anime before the anime ended.

That is, even if they made a new anime there is no reason they would have to go adapt anything from it, as long as Toriyama has his own stories he still wants to tell.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure you can call the manga "source material", since it's not made by Akira Toriyama (this movie is) and technically the manga was behind the anime before the anime ended.

That is, even if they made a new anime there is no reason they would have to go adapt anything from it, as long as Toriyama has his own stories he still wants to tell.

I thought he still had creative veto power on the manga but I haven't payed that much attention. That's good then honestly.

But anyway, if they just decide to do movie's only for a while I'm happy with that.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger

1. SS4 [ ]

Giving me the black star dragons arc again but add a super strict time limit or something. Then have the Z-warriors get to break out into teams to fight each of the dragons. Maybe then we will finally let Goten, Trunks, and Buu do something. :/

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The only movie that's canon is Broly.

Battle of Gods and Resurrection F got redone in the Super anime, so they're technically not canon anymore either.
The movies are still more canon than the tv series, since they had Toriyama directly supervising (BoGs) or writing (Revival F) the script. Several changes introduced by the tv show were dropped later on by the tv show itself, like how they attempted to drop Trunks bonding with the Pillaf gang from BoGs, only to have them living with him when getting to the Trunks arc.

Everything we are seeing happen in DBS is causing a change to GT, but it still very much exists and is upcoming in the franchise. They are just going to announce a "GT" that continues from DBS's story in the future. Expect to see the things that were well received to appear again even if reimagined.
That only will happen if Toriyama isn't in charge of the series anymore and whoever takes over is a GT fan. Toriyama couldn't even bother rewatching the Bardock special before writing Minus/Broly. There's no way he will write several arcs based on GT. There's also the issue of how Toriyama's involvement is always highly advertised (like how they brought up Broly originally being a Toriyama design even). GT's villains aren't Toriyama designs.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I want a canon Cooler movie so bad. It would be perfect since Freeza is out in the wild now.

What if Freeza tells him about the fusion technique :0