• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Can BioWare Deliver

• Yes

Votes: 191 28.7%
  • No

Votes: 475 71.3%

• Total voters

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's certainly possible, but I simply have no faith in whatever they do from now on (and I liked Mass Effect 3).

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Thank you! I won't be jumping on the hype bandwagon and pre-ordering anything well in advance, but I'm cautiously excited about the possibilities and look forward to seeing where they take the two beloved franchises. Andromeda was deeply flawed, but I quite liked Inquisition. Game development is simply hard, so it'll all come down to the team dynamics and individuals who are passionate enough about these projects to work on them. Bring it on, BioWare! I'm certainly more intrigued by this than the dozen generic zombie-shooting games unveiled at TGA that I could hardly tell apart.
Yeah, same here. I think that BioWare is definitely a different company, but with new talent comes new ways of doing things. I think they'll pull through on both Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Plenty of talent at Bioware to make something solid if they stay in their wheelhouse. The problem has always been upper management. If their leadership remains incompetent, the games will be junk.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I doubt it, the studio turnover there has led to a massive drop in quality over the past decade. I would love to be proven wrong as they were once my favorite studio

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Can as in is it possible? Yes of course. How likely it will be though? I'm not holding my breath. If it happens I'll be happy, if it doesn't business as usual.

OP
OP
PenultimateFantasy
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I think they deserve a chance to redeem their reputation. This was a rough generation for them. So I'm cheering or them to succeed, not fail as some people do on here. Some people are so unrelentingly negative.

I think with a combination of some key people from the original trilogy as outlined in shinobi602 's post below, along with some new people for fresh perspective there is potential here.
Yes I agree with you

I think they need to look at what made the earlier games popular and create something new based on that.

As long as they have someone with a clear vision in mind for each project it should be great

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
No, I don't think they'll ever even come out. And if they do, the general sentiment will be that they never should have been released.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I doubt it very much. BioWare have not made a good game for many years and don't seem to have an efficient development process. Their last two games spent years in development but were still shockingly undercooked.

The only cause for optimism is that so many of the old producers have left so maybe things will get done differently from now on.

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
I am optimistic about the management shakeup. Perhaps some new leadership will right the ship and be able to leverage the talent that still remains at Bioware, and, of course, keep their games being developed from meandering.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
The new Mass Effect brings back a few people in key roles missing in recent games...

Screenshot_20201211-182952.jpg

Screenshot_20201211-183001.jpg

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I mean, who knows? It's been years since we've really had a release I would view as indicative of where the company is at. Andromeda was a B-team that doesn't even exist anymore, and Anthem was a supremely misguided attempt to step out of their comfort zone that even Bioware at its best just wouldn't have been a good match for. The last BioWare-ass BioWare game was Inquisition, which was clearly held back by some EA design mandates and a bad engine, but honesty if ME4 and DA4 could hit that quality again, I'd take it. It's been so long though, the actual talents of the people still at BioWare is a bit of a mystery.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's also important to know that, even if they're successful, it's never going to be Mass Effect Trilogy 2.0. There are new people, the technology is different...

We want these games to evolve, not just be stuck in time. That's what I hope.

Oct 29, 2017
No. But maybe?

And the only hope is EA.The last time they were given a blank check we got Andromeda. It is absolutely clear by now that BioWare does not have the creative vision or (most inportantly) the management to get an AAA RPG out the door.

Sure, EA had shitty policies and the rushing of ME3 seriously hurt the game.These problems are in the past though and EA had a big turnaround regarding its relationship with BioWare and it backfired spectacularly.

There is no denying now that the problem is not with the publisher but with the studio.

Edit: I see there seems to be a shakeup, hoping for the best.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
cyberpunk 2077 completly destroyed my ability to believe AAA games can live up to their hype.
i want the next mass effect and dragon age to be good but will they be good? i kinda doubt it

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Eh DA: I was legit as fuck. Andromeda was solid, not great not bad.

Anthem was totally outside their wheelhouse and they paid for it.

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
I think there's an excellent chance that BioWare will deliver two "good" games with competent "AAA gameplay" or solid storytelling.

I also think there's a barely non-zero chance that BioWare will deliver two games with excellent storytelling and industry-defining gameplay.

I say this because BioWare and EA have no incentive to take any risks with either series. The dedicated fanbases will eat these games up even if BioWare does the bare minimum to avoid another Andromeda in terms of storytelling, character-writing, and presentation. Mass-market appeal won't be an issue as long as the games are pretty and their gameplay looks like any open-world action RPG /TPS released in the past 5 years.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
No developers set out to make a 'bad game.' Of course they are going to try their hardest and work every angle to make these good. The question is how it will all come together from those leading the vision imo. I'm sure there are tons and tons of very talented people working there but, to make a bad music comparison, the orchestration and arrangement of the whole band is ultimately what determines how the song comes together as a unit.

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Geez, the way people shit on Bioware it's like they came into their home and ate the last piece of cake. The main studio had one fairly bad game this generation, Anthem, and the side studio had Andromeda. Yeah, they stumbled. Yeah, some of their talent left. But Bioware still has a lot of talented people working there. And Mass Effect has some returning veterans working on the series. And there has been a management shake up.

At least give them a chance to get things right again before writing them off forever.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I really, really hope they can as I love both series.

I just don't believe they can. Anthem destroyed my trust in them but i'll cheer them on anyway to make the best games they can.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Let's hope they deliver another 96 metacritic me2 tier adventure for both.

Let's just hope we don't get some crappy live service garbage shoved into both too I guess.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Geez, the way people shit on Bioware it's like they came into their home and ate the last piece of cake. The main studio had one fairly bad game this generation, Anthem, and the side studio had Andromeda. Yeah, they stumbled. Yeah, some of their talent left. But Bioware still has a lot of talented people working there. And Mass Effect has some returning veterans working on the series. And there has been a management shake up.

At least give them a chance to get things right again before writing them off forever.

Bioware has eroded any goodwill/trust they've built from the BG days. Im not saying its impossible, but I don't think they're going to get a lot of free hype from a couple of teaser trailers given their output in the last decade. Its going to be a long, slow process to earn that trust back.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Lol of course they can. Bioware has a lot of talented people still working there. Anthem and Andromeda were games that both had serious production issues stemming from mismanagement. If they can fix their pipeline, they can produce great games again straight up.

People around here act like Anthem and Andromeda were dumpster fires... but both were 60-70 metacritic mediocre games with a lot of good qualities mixed in with their bad ones. I fully believe they could absolutely have been 90% rated games if they had been managed well from the start. There's still talent and potential there.

Last edited:

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been sooo long since Bioware made a truly great game. It'd probably be Mass Effect 2, which came out over 10 years ago at this point.

... So it's hard to be all that optimistic. If these games are disappointments, any good will remaining towards Bioware will be gone.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully, but I sincerely doubt they will ever be back in their prime unless drastic changes happen to Bioware as a whole.

Sep 7, 2020
I really, really hope that they do but it can be argued that the last few Bioware games have been disappointing to say the least. I know these games are likely 3 years out plus in terms of release but I want them to take however much time that they need in order to get it right. I was hoping that Anthem would be good but that was also a disappointment as well. Hoping for the best but who knows.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, they can't

Is already a indicative that they use Liara and Solas to hype up their games, that is a bad sign

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Geez, the way people shit on Bioware it's like they came into their home and ate the last piece of cake.

Geez, people prioritizing their money over blind fanboyism and hype. The consumers should only be allowed to abandon a corporate entity after 10 bad games.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No, they can't

Is already a indicative that they use Liara and Solas to hype up their games, that is a bad sign

Why? People liked the characters from the trilogy.They were, after all, one of the main selling points of these games, and I'm sure that after 8 years(or more like 12-13 years when the game actually launch) since ME3, if you're going to make an actual sequel to ME3, people will like seeing at least one of their favorite character back.
It's not like they showed half the Trilogy crew in the teaser, that wouldn't have make any sense and would indeed feel like desperation.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Bioware is a single player narrative driven development studio.

EA is a multiplayer GaaS focused publisher.

The two are not compatible, and bioware doesn't have the leverage that Respawn had to negotiate EAs hands out of the development process.