• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just bought Doom on Switch yesterday. Any idea when these patches will release?

Nov 8, 2017
Well, I guess I'm playing DOOM and DOOM II again. It's worth it to experience the game at 60fps, and the aspect ratio fix will be great (even without the fix, it's baffling that they couldn't have just left the unused areas on the sides black or even made that an option; it would effectively just disappear on my OLED, but for some reason they had to put some stupid gray texture there).

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Neat. Been meaning to get around to Sigil - I'll wait now until these updates. I've sunk a nice bit of time into both games so I cannot wait to play some more classic Doom, this time as it was meant to be.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
They really should have released like this in the first place, but kudos to them to keep improving them like this. I expected the last patch but not this one.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I can't imagine playing these games on a controller, but these are nice news.

I think I'll stick to the PC for these.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Just if anyone wanted to see what the new content looks like. It appears you can install the custom WADs through a new 'Add-Ons' menu, where you download them and then select the order you want them loaded in. It definitely implies they might add a few more packs as time goes on.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
How does the Scaling work. Is it possible to play on a smaller screen size? I can imagine those old graphics wil look very ugly on a big TV?

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Turok is not related to the old Doom64 EX port, it's referred to as Kex retroactively, but has otherwise nothing related to it other than Kaiser. That port wouldn't be viable either especially on consoles, it's too old, not 100% accurate (it's close but was never close enough to play back the attract demos), and built on very old school standards.

Interesting insight, thanks. I always assumed Turok 1 and 2 were straight up ports from Turok EX, and that Doom 64 would be from Doom 64 EX.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I'm pretty sure that's already some retro FPS on the eShop inspired by it.

However, I wonder if something as SMOOTHED could be possible on this engine.
Well i said mod support because some of these go beyond simple WAD's, Brutal doom & smoothed will need GzDoom or something, im honestly surprised Bethesda didn't just pay to use that.
It's just having that on Switch for portable use would be amazing.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Would be pretty cool if they added Brutal Doom or mod support. imagine Brutal Doom on Switch.

Just grab GzDoom my good friend, it's drag & drop.
Yeah it's hard to go back to classic after Brutal Doom. It would be nice if they could add the option somehow.

Switch is supposed to receive a port of Project Warlock, so that will be a decent alternative.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
I see Sigil is being added into these re-releases of Doom. Is the base Sigil going to go free on PC? I've had all of the Dooms on Steam for a**ges.

**** EDIT*** Wait, I just checked the Sigial website and it shows it as free. I thought it was being charged for or was that just the collectors edition?

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
That.... that's actually pretty neat. I hope they'll approach this right with the community and creators.

I suppose this will be restricted to vanilla/limit removing sets. I doubt they'll include support for Boom extensions for example.

That's plenty of amazing potential stuff though. Gimme BtSX on Switch!

SO I see Sigil is being added into these re-releases of Doom. Is the base Sigil going to go free on PC? I've had all of the Dooms on Steam for ages.

It's always been free on PC. You can just download the wad file. Only the Buckethead soundtrack has ever cost money.

May 25, 2019
London
Do these work well on a controller? I thinking about things like slowly edging out from walls/corners to get a shot off before hiding again

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Do these work well on a controller? I thinking about things like slowly edging out from walls/corners to get a shot off before hiding again

It's fine.

Even though you could always play with KB+M, even in the original DOS exe, they were designed with most people playing KB only in mind. That translates pretty well to controller use. Doom does not really require precision aiming, it's more about mobility and decisionmaking.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Just if anyone wanted to see what the new content looks like. It appears you can install the custom WADs through a new 'Add-Ons' menu, where you download them and then select the order you want them loaded in. It definitely implies they might add a few more packs as time goes on.

This is so exciting!

Does this confirm that it's three WADs at launch of the patch?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually quite interesting. Both Heretic and Hexen were developed by Raven Software, but published by id. I do wonder if both Zenimax and Activision Blizzard own these franchises.
The Steam releases were published by id at least so doesn't seem too caught up in licensing hell if there is any.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Missed this news yesterday. The lack of No Rest for the Living was one of my only major complaints about the Switch port. Glad they're going above and beyond! Can't wait to add Doom 64 and have the complete "old school" Doom library on Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
The Steam releases were published by id at least so doesn't seem too caught up in licensing hell if there is any.

Without knowing any better it's possible that continuing to sell the pc version on steam is a different set of rights compared to packaging up a new multi platform release on consoles.

It looks like the question has been asked a handful of times on Twitter without a clear answer.

-edit-

Below link gives some further information that might be relevant.

It isn't clear how that relates to re-releases but it gives a bit of background as to why we probably won't see any followups at this time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Project Brutality is better anyways. Also it's not made by a bigoted egomaniac who likes to encourage depressed people to commit suicide

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so the actual stream suggests id will curate community WADs itself. If that's the case, I wonder how far it will go. Will it start looking through all award-winning WADs that were built for traditional Doom?

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has there ever been a true 60fps doom?

the org pc game always ran @45fps or something, right?

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so the actual stream suggests id will curate community WADs itself. If that's the case, I wonder how far it will go. Will it start looking through all award-winning WADs that were built for traditional Doom?
Hell Revealed could be a good starting point since it is vanilla. Although they would need to change the soundtrack since it uses Rise of the Triad music.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Hell Revealed could be a good starting point since it is vanilla. Although they would need to change the soundtrack since it uses Rise of the Triad music.

I finally played through Hell Revealed recently for the first time and man, the jump in difficulty of those levels over the original game will make new players' heads spin.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Well i said mod support because some of these go beyond simple WAD's, Brutal doom & smoothed will need GzDoom or something, im honestly surprised Bethesda didn't just pay to use that.
It's just having that on Switch for portable use would be amazing.
They could pay all the money they want, BD and Smooth Doom simply aren't going to ever work on the vanilla engine. ZDoom is technologically different in every conceivable way.
(Also BD is a license nightmare because Sgt Mark just takes whatever he wants, they'd never be able to get permission to use every resource, let alone find where they all came from in the first place.)

Last edited:

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
As long as they are not selling the custom wads they technically would not need to change it if they legit just made it pop up a web browser and have them installed like any PC source port it would cause no legal issues

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
As long as they are not selling the custom wads they technically would not need to change it if they legit just made it pop up a web browser and have them installed like any PC source port it would cause no legal issues
Not true. Putting them up for download on such a platform would require repackaging. A lot of Doom mods have a clause preventing repacking so placing them on such a service would violate their original wishes. There's also the critical issue that a lot of mods use assets that aren't theirs, including commercial assets, which Bethesda would be very skeptical about providing for download in a commercial context. The only possible way forward is to ask and make sure everything uploaded is kosher.

And no, "not selling the custom wads" doesn't skirt copyright law. That's not remotely how it works.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Not true. Putting them up for download on such a platform would require repackaging. A lot of Doom mods have a clause preventing repacking so placing them on such a service would violate their original wishes. There's also the critical issue that a lot of mods use assets that aren't theirs, including commercial assets, which Bethesda would be very skeptical about providing for download in a commercial context. The only possible way forward is to ask and make sure everything uploaded is kosher.

And no, "not selling the custom wads" doesn't skirt copyright law. That's not remotely how it works.
i am not reffering to repacking them i am literally speaking in the sense if they used a web browser that let you download what you wish would be the most ideal answer as nothing is repacked it is still downloaded off IDgames website IE the same as you would on PC

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any good WADs whose "quality" isnt rooted in how hard it is? Just, good level design?
I understand pointing at a massive playlist isn't incredibly helpful but there are just so friggin' many WADs out there. But if you want a good idea of a cross section of what is out there then I recommend WAD Wednesdays by JP LeBreton where he plays a random WAD each week. With the nature of it being a random pull means it can range from gold to garbage, obviously, but with his understanding of the engine as well as level design means the insightful commentary overrides the garbage.

Otherwise I'd point to the cacowards which goes all the way back to 1994. There is just so much out there and such a range of ideas. People have been making WADs for a long time that you can filter down all sorts of ways.

I'll just grab random screenshots to give an idea even from a visual perspective. Sorry to image dump but there is just so much it really can't be overstated and admitted I didn't bother checking if any of these are viable for the console version, just giving an idea what is out there.

Void And Rainbow
Screenshot_Doom_20171118_210929.png.9ddefebd45ca789ba226ebab59c757b3.png

Brigandine
1.jpg

The Adventures of Square
shot-game07.png

Putrefier
putrefier.jpg

Winter's Fury
wintersfury.jpg

Doom : The Golden Souls 2
911475837_3_goldensouls2.jpg

Shadows of The Nightmare Realm
shadows.png

Rise Of The Wool Ball
woolball.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
i am not reffering to repacking them i am literally speaking in the sense if they used a web browser that let you download what you wish would be the most ideal answer as nothing is repacked it is still downloaded off IDgames website IE the same as you would on PC

You're not getting the point. If Bethesda allow people to download the WADS - it doesn't matter how, whether said functionality is inside the game or not - for use with their commercially released port of DOOM, they're violating everything the dude above mentioned.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Consoles won't allow for arbitrary downloads from a service Bethesda don't and can't moderate (because /idgames is not theirs).
In addition, no console supports downloading files from their web browser (least of all to a location a game would be allowed to read if at all) and I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them doesn't support even connecting to the unsecured ftp protocol (because /idgames is a very old school ftp server, not a website).

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Are there any good WADs whose "quality" isnt rooted in how hard it is? Just, good level design?

Luckily not all the greatest WADs are all intense slaughter maps like what you might see in Sunder or the legendary Okuplok, but I do think almost all the great megawads get more difficult than the base Doom games by the end. So for instance both Scythe 1/2, Hell Revealed 1/2 start easy with short maps, but by the end throw maps of a scale and difficulty exceeding the base game that might take dozens of attempts to beat if you aren't saving regularly. The popular megawads of the decade that you'll see every Doom player recommend to their friends like Ancient Aliens, Eviternity, and Valiant still all start simple, but slowly grow into a more involved experience. Even WAD's like Doom the Way id Did which were built to mimic the design intricacies of the original game can't help but turn the dial up on difficulty. It's just a function of the people making these maps having played the game for years.

While the baseline experience of well made WAD's is a bit harder than what you initially played with the original games, I believe the quality of the enemy encounters and map geometry in user content exceeds the originals by so much that deaths very often feel less cheap than many of the maps of Doom 2.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Doom 1 & Doom 2 ports were released on various platforms relatively recently.
The aspect ratio of the games was a little screwed up, that is being fixed.
The games were locked to their original 35fps, that is now being updated to support 60fps.
"Sigil" is additional levels for Doom 1 released by John Romero in 2019, co-founder of id and one of the original lead designers of Doom. It will be added.
"Final Doom" is an expansion pack for Doom 2 originally made by a community team, but id thought the levels were so good they bought them and officially released it in 1996. It will be added.
"No Rest for the Living" is additional levels for Doom 2 originally released in 2010 by Nerve who was handling the XBL port. It is also being added.
These additions make these ports much more complete since all those levels were missing before.

and in one fell swoop, true clarity was achieved

thank you for this lovely post

Status
Not open for further replies.