• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand, what is this?

Doom 1 & Doom 2 ports were released on various platforms relatively recently.
The aspect ratio of the games was a little screwed up, that is being fixed.
The games were locked to their original 35fps, that is now being updated to support 60fps.
"Sigil" is additional levels (a final episode) for Doom 1 released by John Romero in 2019, co-founder of id and one of the original lead designers of Doom. It will be added.
"Final Doom" is an expansion pack for Doom 2 originally made by a community team, but id thought the levels were so good they bought them and officially released it in 1996. It will be added.
"No Rest for the Living" is additional levels for Doom 2 originally released in 2010 by Nerve who was handling the XBL port. It is also being added.
These additions make these ports much more complete since all those levels were missing before.

Last edited:

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
It honestly plays pretty well with a controller, given the fact you don't really need to aim.
My main gripe is the fact weapon switching is a pain as it stands, but I don't really see any reason why they couldn't change that in the future. As bad as it sounds, and as much as it pains me to say it, a weapon wheel would be better than what we have now.
The 360 Doom 2 controls worked pretty well. 2/3 weapons mapped to each direction of the dpad.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ahhhh, so good <3

I'll definitely get back and finish Doom 1 on Switch with this. Would be nice if they updated the PC versions too...ah well, there's always GZDoom
GZDoom is likely still better anyway. PC Doom fans can't really ever complain. There's an insane amount of great mods and wads for us already. More options is never a bad thing though.

Oct 25, 2017
On the topic of Sigil, I was really sad that I missed out on Limited Run's box set. I learned about it too late. Anybody get one of those?

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is pretty outstanding. I was really disappointed with the ports on release, and regretted buying them before reading how bored they were. I was content with their last update, but this is above and beyond.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
GZDoom is likely still better anyway. PC Doom fans can't really ever complain. There's an insane amount of great mods and wads for us already. More options is never a bad thing though.

Ah yeah don't get me wrong I adore GZDoom ahah, played it so darn much (including with the amazing Castlevania mod). Just would be nice to have a better version on Steam right out of the box, as opposed to just the wad in a DOS wrapper

Though conversely, Duke 3D on Steam has more modern features but also doesn't give you the original executable that is ideal for modding

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
To clarify: Sigil (originally made for Doom 1) and both Final Doom WADs (originally made for Doom 2) are coming to *both* Doom 1 and Doom 2's 2019 versions. No Rest For The Living may only come to Doom 2, that's what one host appeared to say about that one. Nice move on Bethesda's part for anyone who doesn't wanna buy both games this time around.

Oct 25, 2017
To clarify: Sigil (originally made for Doom 1) and both Final Doom WADs (originally made for Doom 2) are coming to *both* Doom 1 and Doom 2's 2019 versions. No Rest For The Living may only come to Doom 2, that's what one host appeared to say about that one. Nice move on Bethesda's part for anyone who doesn't wanna buy both games this time around.
That's pretty neat.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is just awesome all around. These ports started out rough as hell, but they stuck with them and now we are getting way more than I ever hoped for. Great job!

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The games were locked to their original 35fps, that is now being updated to support 60fps.
"Sigil" is additional levels for Doom 1 released by John Romero in 2019, co-founder of id and one of the original lead designers of Doom. It will be added.
"Final Doom" is an expansion pack for Doom 2 originally made by a community team, but id thought the levels were so good they bought them and officially released it in 1996. It will be added.
"No Rest for the Living" is additional levels for Doom 2 originally released in 2010 by Nerve who was handling the XBL port. It is also being added.
These additions make these ports much more complete since all those levels were missing before.
Ok, thank you. For some reason I confused Doom 1 with Doom 2016.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
It honestly plays pretty well with a controller, given the fact you don't really need to aim.
My main gripe is the fact weapon switching is a pain as it stands, but I don't really see any reason why they couldn't change that in the future. As bad as it sounds, and as much as it pains me to say it, a weapon wheel would be better than what we have now.

they should just do what they did in the last gen release. Each dpad direction is for two weapons.

Also bring back online

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody taking guesses on what other community WADs might make it in?

...or is there gonna be some kind of thing where potentially any community WAD that meets certain compatibility parameters can be played on console? Like Doom 4 Vanilla for instance?

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Do I still need to be online to play these games? Or did they patch that out already?
This has been patched. The game does ask you to connect to online when you boot it up while offline (similar thing to say Dark Souls) but you can just say no and play without issues (while before you needed to connect to online at least once, as well as make or bullshit up a Bethesda account since it was all around busted).

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Awesome. They took their sweet time and got me really angry at their mishandling of these cult titles but aspect ratio, 60fps and Sigil are where it's at.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
"Sigil" is additional levels for Doom 1 released by John Romero in 2019, co-founder of id and one of the original lead designers of Doom. It will be added.
The community maps are the biggest part like not one person saw this coming

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So the tweet mentioned an internal online store where you just download community WADs for free. That's huge.

Potentially 25 years of fan maps coming to console Doom for the first time. How do they even handle this? Does id try to optimize it so console Doom can properly run any WAD that works on MS-DOS, or Chocolate Doom, or ZDoom? Or will it publish its own compatibility parameters for custom modders to build to? Will they try to get in shit from the mid 90's like "Doom the way id did"?

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
These still don't have any online multiplayer modes, right? Is there any chance of that being added at some point?

Doomg0d

Mar 26, 2019
It begs the question what exactly is this port using? I assume some sort of chocolate doom or its own take on the vanilla engine.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
It begs the question what exactly is this port using? I assume some sort of chocolate doom or its own take on the vanilla engine.
Chocolate Doom is GPL so that's a no go (can't stick GPL3 on consoles, not even iOS anymore). We do know it's vanilla though, its code was released along with Doom3 BFG (which came from XBLA and original Xbox with Doom3 Collectors Edition), and it's been confirmed it's the same library.

Doomg0d

Mar 26, 2019
Chocolate Doom is GPL so that's a no go (can't stick GPL3 on consoles, not even iOS anymore). We do know it's vanilla though, its code was released along with Doom3 BFG (which came from XBLA and original Xbox with Doom3 Collectors Edition), and it's been confirmed it's the same library.
Are the limitations the same as vanilla ie not able to play Zdoom/Boom stuff then?

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Are the limitations the same as vanilla ie not able to play Zdoom/Boom stuff then?
Well ZDoom might as well be considered a completely different engine from a technical standpoint. There's no Boom support for sure but at least probable if that's the direction they wanted to go, Boom was just a bunch of fancy features tacked on to the existing format after all. It's already partially limit extended though, which would be needed for SIGIL at the very least.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Really wish we could get these versions on PC just so you can run them easily without tweaks off a straight download.

Maybe when Doom 64 hits?

Oct 25, 2017
Am I crazy or did they let slip that Doom 64 can be purchased separately?
What reason is there to think that this game originally planned to get a standalone release and then added as a preorder bonus wouldnt still get the standalone release? Would they just send a new port out to die, unobtainable beyond a certain arbitrary date, and never plan on making any money from it? I always assumed it was still coming after preorders got their free bonus. I don't think it's a slip, just a fact.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
What reason is there to think that this game originally planned to get a standalone release and then added as a preorder bonus wouldnt still get the standalone release? Would they just send a new port out to die, unobtainable beyond a certain arbitrary date, and never plan on making any money from it? I always assumed it was still coming after preorders got their free bonus. I don't think it's a slip, just a fact.
Well I assumed it was coming, but after a period of exclusively being bundled with Eternal. The way they talked about it seems like it will be available separately as soon as they both go live?

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Nice, still waiting on a sale on 1& 2 for Switch though to pick them up again for the millionth time.

And yes Doom 64 better be available to purchase separately, I want it on Switch but new Doom will be a Xbox One X game for me later on so pre-order bonuses are worthless to me.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Probably. That's exactly what the current Turok HD ports are.
Turok is not related to the old Doom64 EX port, it's referred to as Kex retroactively, but has otherwise nothing related to it other than Kaiser. That port wouldn't be viable either especially on consoles, it's too old, not 100% accurate (it's close but was never close enough to play back the attract demos), and built on very old school standards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.