• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
Rumor has it they are looking into buying local channels in swing areas and growing their empire. Swing areas are attractive because both democrats and republicans will spend a shitload of money there.

Yes, Fox News will get much larger and increase their presence, just in time for the 2020 election.

People stay on Netflix because of their original content that comes out every month. The legacy TV shows and movies are a nice plus and I'm sure gets some people in the door, but most join and stay with Netflix because of shows like the Marvel ones, Orange is the new black, Stranger Things, Narco, etc. Disney gets this and that's why they already have a ton of original movies and shows in various stages of development. Hulu and Amazon recently understood this as well.

Disney will have to produce those shows as long as Fox keeps ordering them. That's what that sentence means.

SNE is not an attractive target for DIS. An attractive target for AMZN and AAPL for sure though. They wouldn't want to go in the hardware business which is a big part of SNE. If they were to buy NTDOY they would stop making hardware as well.

This guy gets it. That's why a lot of gaming companies make sense because they can mine the IPs everywhere. Hasbro and Mattel would be attractive but DIS does not want to get in the business of actually making the toys, but yes you have the right thinking here.

you said they could join games or musics industry by take some company
but what is the best choice for them in the market
and wish is better for them
take games company alone
and musics alone
and try to compete with others companies from begging
or its easiest for them to take one company they are best and bigger in games and music industry
and have one of the biggest marvel IP spiderman movies right
yea its true that Sony focus in hardware but they already have streaming game service
and try to join the the game stream market
but they can't compete with google or Microsoft because of limitation they had
Sony may benefits from Disney to improve their stream game service
we will have high quality games from Disney ip because we know Sony deliver high quality of games
and this why marvel went to sony to make game and they succeed
and they have good relationship with movie division too
we may see collaboration between Disney+ and Psnow service
like you can subscribe to this service and make you play games and watch movies by stream
imagine you have 2 service in one service it will be great i think and with better value of course
if some want just movie it will take only with less price and if one want take both it will take it with special price
i mean they can compete the games and movies , tv series stream market in the same time

i think the only company that make sense to Disney to take it is Sony because they will benefits a lot from their divisions if they want join the games and musics market by one step

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
What competition is left for Disney? Warner Bros? Is that it? Where is all this capital coming from? How was this merger even approved?
The only other media entertainment firm of a roughly similar scale is WarnerMedia, which benefits from a similarly breathless trove of content and IP through HBO, Warner Bros., DC comics, Cartoon Networks, Turner, etc.
It also helps that their corporate parent is AT&T which as a telecom generates pretty stable capital to invest and I'm sure there will be benefits from DirectTV.

NBCUniversal is probably a distant third. A combined CBS and Viacom would probably round out the top 4.

In terms of box office market share, Disney will never have less than 30-40% of the market going forward.

studio_profit_report_2019_embed.jpg

Oct 31, 2017
Speaking of Warner, I think T is going to move to theme parks in the next 10-15 years after deleveraging with acquisition of SeaWorld and/or SixFlags. They have too many loving IPs for them not to. Plus the Potter contract with Comcast expires in 2029 (unless it was amended recently) and they can take that back. It's a business that is proven to work if you spend the capital there. And they have the capital.

IcyInferno

Oct 26, 2017
So, if I'm not wrong, Disney owns The Simpsons but the network is still going to air them?
Disney now owns the Simpsons. Since it is a syndicated show, I guess the owner can choose to cancel it or sell broadcast rights to another network or the current broadcaster could choose to not renew it. I think both Disney and Fox know it is in their best interest to keep The Simpsons first run broadcasts where it is since it is synonymous with Fox. FX which is now controlled by Disney will keep getting reruns and they will probably put reruns on a streaming service as well... probably the day after each episode airs.

It is common for one studio to sell first run broadcast rights to another network. Modern Family is produced by Fox and airs on ABC. How I met your mother was also produced by Fox and aired on CBS.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It's the same handful of lazy posts that show up in every thread about a rich person or company people don't like, but strangely you never see them in the threads about hobbies this forum enjoys.

Hell, most box office threads are like "(Insert Superhero movie) made 1.8 billion dollars!" and filled with hundreds of post applauding a mega corporation making more money.

If people are going to complain about out of control capitalism they should use the same arguments about things they like too.

This is a strawman if I ever saw one. I like the MCU. I own all those movies on blu-ray. I also have an issue with Nintendo for being incredibly negligent about their enviromental policies while still owning both a Wii-U, Switch and a goddamn Virtual Boy. I also have issues with all companies producing consumer electronics for exploiting both conflict minerals and poor chinese workers in the Foxconn internment camp. Just because I enjoy a medium doesn't mean the companies behind them can't be problematic. I have no love of greedy megacorporations, regardless of which ones we are talking about. And I'm sorry to say it, they have no love of us consumers either.

And while it's true Disney don't have a monopoly, they already had a vast influence of the entertainment market in the US, which by proxy means the world. The only one who wins by that influence widening is Disney.

Deleted member 7777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fucking hot takes are absolutely astounding.

Fox was selling, they didn't care to who, would you rather have an entertainment company by the morning your local ISP? Think about that for a minute

Disney knows the value of movies and TV Shows they won't just cut shit to curb shit they need to make money off their acquisitions so Animation, Searchlight, etc won't be going anywhere.

It's truly shocking to see how many people don't know what a monopoly actually is.
Universal Pictures
Paramount
Warner Bros.
Columbia Pictures
Blumhouse
A24
Lions gate
MGM
Netflix
Apple
Amazon

All make entertainment too yet somehow Disney has a monopoly? Ok...?

Yes it's sucks people will lose their jobs but I've never seen this forum up in arms when other mergers happen, and they happen frequently so maybe lose the high horse routine because you can't bitch about this one and ignore the one she that happen everyday

I was merely expressing, from experience, how hard a merger is on the average employee.

They all suck. They're all hard.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
It'll be interesting to see how Disney handles its release schedule going forward. They own so many properties that appeal to the same demographics, there's a real possibility of cannibalizing their own movies.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I'm talking about SM being taken somewhere else. Regarding this game I believe the story and concept is owned by Marvel and the code is owned by Sony. This series can go anywhere, this game being ported would be complicated.
https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...ps4-console-games-is-with-sony-and-insomniac/

Read the quote at the top of the article. It's straight from Marvel. Solo Spider-Man games aren't coming to Xbox for a long time.

Oct 31, 2017

Limee

Nov 1, 2017
Email from Bob Iger:

Our acquisition of 21st Century Fox was driven by our strong belief that the addition of these great businesses, brands, franchises and talent will allow us to move faster, reach farther and aim higher – especially when it comes to building direct connections with consumers.

I see what you did there Bob.

Jan 10, 2018
Please then enlighten us, instead of drive by shitposting without any context or actual thoughts behind it.

Given you have no idea about Disney, sure....

Disney uses their upcoming movies to bully cinemas into submission, either pay the mouse more and show ALL Disney movies or we won't let you show Marvel, Star Wars etc. The higher fee makes many Disney movies borderline unprofitable for them.

Remember the last cinema around you able to show a Disney classic? Right, Disney won't let them. Now enjoy watching Fox classics on the big screen lol.

Disney treats their movies as what they are, products and as means to bully smaller cinemas and publishers. Now they got more weapons and I'm as happy as you are.

Oct 27, 2017
The fucking hot takes are absolutely astounding.

Fox was selling, they didn't care to who, would you rather have an entertainment company by the morning your local ISP? Think about that for a minute

Disney knows the value of movies and TV Shows they won't just cut shit to curb shit they need to make money off their acquisitions so Animation, Searchlight, etc won't be going anywhere.

It's truly shocking to see how many people don't know what a monopoly actually is.
Universal Pictures
Paramount
Warner Bros.
Columbia Pictures
Blumhouse
A24
Lions gate
MGM
Netflix
Apple
Amazon

All make entertainment too yet somehow Disney has a monopoly? Ok...?

Yes it's sucks people will lose their jobs but I've never seen this forum up in arms when other mergers happen, and they happen frequently so maybe lose the high horse routine because you can't bitch about this one and ignore the one she that happen everyday

Easy there buddy, not positive how 'not cool' is a fucking hot take.

Also not sure why I (or consumers) should be celebrating the relentless advance of media capitalism, so, whatever.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Warner, I think T is going to move to theme parks in the next 10-15 years after deleveraging with acquisition of SeaWorld and/or SixFlags. They have too many loving IPs for them not to. Plus the Potter contract with Comcast expires in 2029 (unless it was amended recently) and they can take that back. It's a business that is proven to work if you spend the capital there. And they have the capital.

I can't imagine Comcast/Universal putting all of that money and energy into their Harry Potter themed lands and attractions only to throw it all away like that years later.

Oct 31, 2017
Neither of us is going to convince the other so I'll just leave it at this: When the sequel to Marvel's Spider-Man cones out, let's buy it on Xbox or Switch and exchange gamer tags or friend codes, okay?

I never said that. It's pretty obvious they are going to continue the Sony partnership, but it's obvious they could take it somewhere else if they wanted to. You were acting like the game rights were just like the movie rights and they aren't. You were wrong. It's okay.

I can't imagine Comcast/Universal putting all of that money and energy into their Harry Potter themed lands and attractions only to throw it all away like that years later.

They gave in to a lot of what Rowling wanted. 2029 is the expiration date unless they amend to extent it. It's in the contract.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I wonder if Disney is planning on making another non-MCU Deadpool movie. Its very telling that Reynolds' Deadpool is on the Walt Disney Company homepage. And with Deadpool merchandise making a ton of money Disney may want to put out another film sooner rather than later with or without the MCU (setting up mutants and X-Men may take too long).

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I wonder if Disney is planning on making another non-MCU Deadpool movie. Its very telling that Reynolds' Deadpool is on the Walt Disney Company homepage. And with Deadpool merchandise making a ton of money Disney may want to put out another film sooner rather than later with or without the MCU (setting up mutants and X-Men may take too long).

I think Deadpool could be put into the MCU at any point in time. With the amount of 4th wall breaking he could literally just show up suddenly in anything and be part of it.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be interesting to see how Disney handles its release schedule going forward. They own so many properties that appeal to the same demographics, there's a real possibility of cannibalizing their own movies.

Yep I fully expect that. Putting aside the MCU stuff. How do you look at a schedule and plan when your other films should release?

Its going to be intriguing to watch.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you are misinterpreting what I said. With the Disney buyout taking most of the major assets other than Fox News... the Fox Corporation (what is left of 21st Century Fox after Disney bought everything else) now has all the money that Disney spent buying them out. Thus... yes, they have an enormous stack of cash to throw around to promote the Fox News agenda. Now that they don't have a movie studio and all those other assets to maintain, they spend all of their money to grow Fox News and their local stations. Do you see how this works now?

This Nightmarescape tha Fox News has created in our culture is only just getting started.
I did misread, apologies.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I think Deadpool could be put into the MCU at any point in time. With the amount of 4th wall breaking he could literally just show up suddenly in anything and be part of it.
I don't think it's that simple though. I think they're going to want to introduce him into the MCU in a way that audiences like and don't think is lazy or dumb. If you get it wrong the movie-going audience (and the internet) will push back. I think Disney will certainly consider his mutant origins and the state of the world in his movies (X-Men already exist) before just suddenly putting him in the MCU.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously Fox was a small threat company in this scenario 🤔
No, I added the small threat companies part thinking about things like Facebook buying out small startups, or established things like Instagram. Walmart making other local stores insignificant, money spent at Walmart leaving the community instantly, especially Amazon.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that follows the theme park industry closely, I absolutely can't see this happening.
There just isn't room for Warner as a competitor beyond something like buying Six Flags back, in the US at least.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
As someone that follows the theme park industry closely, I absolutely can't see this happening.
There just isn't room for Warner as a competitor beyond something like buying Six Flags back, in the US at least.

And all things considered, buying Six Flags back seems like a really bad idea considering how much those parks lost them when they DID own them.

Status
Not open for further replies.