• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing, it's just a matter of them managing expectations. If you are more confident than I am that they will do this in the early going, then great.
But like, I can't think of a game that doesn't do this? The Division has its endgame content be explained as you stopping plans of major enemies, Destiny is usually you stopping something major like trying to shut down a curse, FFXIV, WoW, and other MMOs have story explanations for their major endgame content as well.

Where did you get this fear from?

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
I'm so glad they didn't go that route. The Avengers are a team, this has to be a co-op first game.

There's a whole lot of weird fear-mongering going on with this game.

As a mainly single player type, I wholeheartedly agree. The CD team seems to get it as well:

uMrpXrb.jpg

The potential - for both online and single player experiences - are endless. Imagine a solo Black Widow campaign tied in to the film, or hell, an event with the Eternals ending up with Black King added to the roster. Done right, especially at a time that we are homebound and in need of social distance, this game has the potential to become one of the main sources of the "Marvel fix" that I'm sure one hell lot of people are craving.

Oh wow, I completely butched that one. Somehow I read that as them not interacting with core Avengers crew at all. Sorry about the confusion everyone.

I updated the OP. Thank you for bringing this up.
No worries, after fix those two I think the OP is in great shape now!

Raid-like missions is cool. I'm getting more excited for this game after this and the beta footage from this past week. I do feel like the the beta will be make or break for me though. Seems like a game that may be a mess at launch and then over time after they fix it up and add more heroes it'll be much better.

I wish they called their raid-like content Avenger Level Threat.

4ZjD0ku.jpg

See for me the issue is they put the most boring Avengers in the roster. Like come on put in Vision or Dr. Strange or something. At this point I'd even take Wonder Man and Spider-Woman
I mean, that's like complaining that a Justice League game is boring because it features Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. I want my obscure Avengers additions as much as the next guy, but becoming an Avenger and being able to share that experience with my friends in less than one week? That especially at these times is exactly what I need it.

With that said, I'm intrigued by this quote from the AMA:

30Llqz2.jpg

Re-watching all the trailers, you say. What kind of clue is that? Hank Pym I believe that will be a NPC, but what about Wasp? Also, they do mention Deadpool in the AMA as one of their favorite Avenger, and I can't help but keep thinking how much of s brilliant addition to this mix he would be.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Man when I read stuff about this game I can't help but just feel disinterested.

I hope it's good, but so much of it just seems to revolve around being a loot driven game.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
I was going to say. Name one "looter" or GAAS that had full content at launch? it always seems like these games ship half-broken or half-complete.

Name me one MMO or MMO-lite (Division, Destiny etc) that launched with an accessible raid. WoW which is probably the biggest raid game don't open their raid for the first 2-3 weeks of each expansion to let people catch up, level up to max level, get gear etc.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Amazed that the first raid isn't ready for launch.
Destiny, Division, Monster Hunter, etc did not have raids at launch.
Raids are end game activities which require mastery of the gameplay systems and end game loot.
It took pro players 6 hours to complete the Vault of Glass after it launched 2 weeks after the main game launched.

Could you imagine community backlash around a raid on day 1 that NOBODY could complete?

Oct 25, 2017
But like, I can't think of a game that doesn't do this? The Division has its endgame content be explained as you stopping plans of major enemies, Destiny is usually you stopping something major like trying to shut down a curse, FFXIV, WoW, and other MMOs have story explanations for their major endgame content as well.

Where did you get this fear from?
It's such a weird concern "Won't people be confused by The Avengers going to a place to beat up a villain???" No, no I don't think they will.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like some of you are actively choosing shit to be mad over.

No raids on day one? Well, obviously.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
who cares if there is no raid on day 1... you wont even be ready for it. Lmao this thread.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they called their raid-like content Avenger Level Threat.
I think the raid like missions are most likely the boss lairs that they briefly teased in the last war table. When you think about it, they've already announced:
  • Hero missions
  • War zones
  • Drop zones
  • HARM challenge rooms
That already seems a lot. And in the last stream they teased "boss lairs" and "hive" missions as well. I don't see them doing 6 mission types right out of the gate and then add a new mission type in the form of raids just a few weeks after launch. That would be insane (content wise).

I think the online only end game content types that they talked about in this AMA is referring to hives and boss lairs.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
If this is good I'll definitely jump in, just don't know if I get it current or wait for next gen?

Hopefully there is crossgen progression as well

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope raids are more like Destiny and less like WoW. But given it only takes 2 hours to complete i'm going with the latter.

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
I think the raid like missions are most likely the boss lairs that they briefly teased in the last war table. When you think about it, they've already announced:
  • Hero missions
  • War zones
  • Drop zones
  • HARM challenge rooms
That already seems a lot. And in the last stream they teased "boss lairs" and "hive" missions as well. I don't see them doing 6 mission types right out of the gate and then add a new mission type in the form of raids just a few weeks after launch. That would be insane (content wise).

I think the online only end game content types that they talked about in this AMA is referring to hives and boss lairs.
I have no idea how that would work. I have never played Destiny, so I don't even have a clue when people talk about team members having to solve riddles while others fight hordes. Sounds cool though.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how that would work. I have never played Destiny, so I don't even have a clue when people talk about team members having to solve riddles while others fight hordes. Sounds cool though.
Same tbh lol

Sadly I most likely won't be able to play Raids with my weak internet anyways, but hopefully once they add more/new Raid missions, they can think of ways to make older ones playable with AI companions or add crazy solo compatible mission types down the line as well.

Last edited:

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Marvel Ultimate Alliance revolved on punching and ganging upon some unfortunate grunts, I don't remember most of the story tbh, that game was fun. I didn't need that "give me some exposition on the bad guys" thing.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
To the people who are familiar with these types of games, are raid-like contents timed events or are they permanent? Like in Destiny 2 or Division 2, do you currently have access to all the raids that have been added to the game or have they been replaced by newer raids?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really looking forward to this. So far I don't have any hang ups. I just really hope the heroes feel fun to play.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To the people who are familiar with these types of games, are raid-like contents timed events or are they permanent? Like in Destiny 2 or Division 2, do you currently have access to all the raids that have been added to the game or have they been replaced by newer raids?
Depends on the game. While WoW has every raid available since Vanilla, Destiny 2 will be removing some raids in November. But in general raids are activities that are permanent to the game's lifespan.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017

For Destiny 2, the raids have all been available all at once but with Beyond Light coming out they're going to vault a handful of destinations and older raids for a year so they'll be unavailable. They're adding a new raid with Beyond Light and bringing back Destiny's Vault of Glass raid in 2021 though.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game. While WoW has every raid available since Vanilla, Destiny 2 will be removing some raids in November. But in general raids are activities that are permanent to the game's lifespan.
For Destiny 2, the raids have all been available all at once but with Beyond Light coming out they're going to vault a handful of destinations and older raids for a year so they'll be unavailable.
Thank you for your replies.

Hopefully they'll make them a permanent activity in Avengers as well then.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so torn on this. I feel like I've been burned so often with GaaS games, and that for the most part they're just not my thing. But the one that DID hit, The Division 2, hit hard (though with the last expansion I eventually burned out trying to do endgame content just beyond my ability/patience threshold). But also I don't care about the Avengers that much in general, and am especially unsure about this version of them. But also, I have a pre-order for 30% off MSRP.

Decisions, decisions.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I hope raids are more like Destiny and less like WoW. But given it only takes 2 hours to complete i'm going with the latter.
WoW raids take weeks to clear even for the best guilds in the world.
Destiny raids take hours, why would it be the latter? Unless you mean farm raids, in which case both can take the same amount of time if the guild doesn't wipe at all in WoW and has been clearing the instance forever.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
On Mythic sure. In Normal? It's Day 1 everytime.
You should have mentioned difficulty. I only do mythic raids, we only do heroic raids to split gear and get like 3 done in a single day in some cases on launch day.
I'm assuming their raids will have multiple difficulties if the rest of the content does.
Destiny raids have 1 or 2 difficulties from memory and all take hours, it's more like that 10000% as opposed to the easiest WoW difficulty outside of raid finder, both of which were made for new player experiences.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I want to be hyped about this game but something is holding me back. If I had to guess it would be the aspect of having to grind and loot for multiple characters at the same time. In games like Destiny and The Division you're primarily focused on one player. Now you have to deal with a roster of more and more people to keep updated. Sure you don't HAVE to play all of them but the game doesn't seem focused on you picking and choosing one.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I know that it is unlikely (and they have already send no cross-play) but have they said anything about cross-progression?? I am tempted to get this on PC at launch because of how badly the consoles are playing new games but would likely want it on XSX or PS5 in the future?

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want to be hyped about this game but something is holding me back. If I had to guess it would be the aspect of having to grind and loot for multiple characters at the same time. In games like Destiny and The Division you're primarily focused on one player. Now you have to deal with a roster of more and more people to keep updated. Sure you don't HAVE to play all of them but the game doesn't seem focused on you picking and choosing one.
The only way mechanically its not focused on you leveling/gearing one character is the AI if you are solo, or the fact that you can't have two Hulks. Solve these two by using match making (maybe longer wait time for popular hero) or having a a solid group of friends to play with. So aside from that I think people will be fine, unless what you're really saying is FOMO from not playing the shiny new toy each content drop, and if so I agree haha.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I know that it is unlikely (and they have already send no cross-play) but have they said anything about cross-progression?? I am tempted to get this on PC at launch because of how badly the consoles are playing new games but would likely want it on XSX or PS5 in the future?
Said nothing about this either sadly.

Shame it doesn't have either, or they haven't confirmed it anyway. Not really many excuses left for games releasing without it.

RebelDeux

Nov 20, 2017
I really want to like this game, because I love some Marvel/DC video games, but this one is just so messy, I mean, I've seen the trailers and read some press releases and yet I'm still not sure what it is, I thought that it was going to be a solo-campaign game like Batman Arkham/ Spiderman but seems like it will be a GaaS like Anthem or The Division?

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Ummm so like I'm excited for this game. I'll have more time for the end game stuff that only online. I wonder if it'll hve matchmaking? That would be great and get me to play that content.
I mean, super heroes in a game like this seems awesome. Very curious about the beta.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to like this game, because I love some Marvel/DC video games, but this one is just so messy, I mean, I've seen the trailers and read some press releases and yet I'm still not sure what it is, I thought that it was going to be a solo-campaign game like Batman Arkham/ Spiderman but seems like it will be a GaaS like Anthem or The Division?
There is a solo campaign.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I know many have turned the corner on this game and are looking forward to it now, but man... The more I learn about it the less interested I am.

I wanted a story heavy, cinematic, character focused experience. Something like the Batman Arkham games or Spider-Man on PS4.

Instead we're getting something closer to a GaaS game, focusing on leveling up, collecting loot, upgrading your armor/abilities, and grinding for collectibles.

No thanks.

Same. A grinds GaaS is the last thing I wanted from an Avengers game.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017

It seems like it is a GaaS but with a cinematic solo campaign like the games you mentioned, although I imagine it will be shorter. I am not interested in the GaaS element really and I dont have any friends who play video games or have a schedule that would make it possible to "link up" and play together so that aspect doesnt appeal to me at all. I will buy it to play the campaign and then just jump into the other stuff with random matchmaking and play it like a mobile game. I dont think many people in Japan will buy it or buy a launch PS5 which is what I want to play it on so I think I will be double out of luck with the online aspects even if I wanted to do them.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
So the non-solo content that is basically the raids right? They said in the war table that the Warzones and PoI were doable with AI right? I'm sure I remember them saying that and being excited.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
With that said, I'm intrigued by this quote from the AMA:

30Llqz2.jpg

Re-watching all the trailers, you say. What kind of clue is that? Hank Pym I believe that will be a NPC, but what about Wasp? Also, they do mention Deadpool in the AMA as one of their favorite Avenger, and I can't help but keep thinking how much of s brilliant addition to this mix he would be.

Considering the billions of Captain Marvel posters in Kamala's room (in the trailers) and the fact that Kamala herself is in the game - Carol is probably the safest bet to be added to the roster within the first DLC wave.

RebelDeux

Nov 20, 2017
It seems like it is a GaaS but with a cinematic solo campaign like the games you mentioned, although I imagine it will be shorter. I am not interested in the GaaS element really and I dont have any friends who play video games or have a schedule that would make it possible to "link up" and play together so that aspect doesnt appeal to me at all. I will buy it to play the campaign and then just jump into the other stuff with random matchmaking and play it like a mobile game. I dont think many people in Japan will buy it or buy a launch PS5 which is what I want to play it on so I think I will be double out of luck with the online aspects even if I wanted to do them.

Oh well, in that case, I will wait for the first gamers to review the game, because I would like to play the solo campaign but I'm not here for a 4h - 6h adventure, maybe 10h - 12h at least but if is only a small bridge and more like a tutorial to prepare you for the online/multiplayer, then sayonara.

Harnzyy

Mar 8, 2018
You cannot respec your upgrade point once they are spent, but you can switch between different versions of a move once they are unlocked (no upgrade point needed for that)

I am sure they'll fix this. By charging money for it. Classic invent a problem to fix it with money design.
Did you even read the ama?

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
New characters will be DLC or in-game currency?
If it's DLC, then I am afraid this will end up being way too expensive down the line.