• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I hope KojiPro continue to remain ambiguous regarding too many specifics surrounding Death Stranding. If it weren't for the direction and editing quality of the trailers I'd probably bail out of media now and go in blind. I said it in a previous rant, but I reject the notion they haven't shown much or showcased game features. What they have done is present the narrative and game systems with a significant degree of obscurity and mystique, a choice of which can be credited for nurturing the overarching threatening and supernatural mystery of the game's premise alongside the online culture of theory crafting and intrigue.

Unlike Metal Gear Solid's exposition dumping narrative trend, Death Stranding so far has emphasised minimalism and ambiguity as a vessel for thematic and tonal delivery. The game being presented any other way would lose much if the impact its had, and the attention its warranted.

I'm just excited that everything we've seen, top to bottom, appears to be wholly unique not just from Kojima but in the gaming space.

This so much. I love the fact that everything about this project seems so foreign to what we've become accustomed to. The setting, the art style, the concept, even the way they are marketing it. I don't have any idea of what this is truly about, but that in itself makes me feel like it's something completely new. One of my favorite game ever, Inside, did pretty much the exact same thing. Tiny drops of cryptic media over the years, and even when you finally sat there and finished the game, you still couldn't completely explain exactly what it was about. I wouldn't mind having that experience in the AAA space.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
This so much. I love the fact that everything about this project seems so foreign to what we've become accustomed to. The setting, the art style, the concept, even the way they are marketing it. I don't have any idea of what this is truly about, but that in itself makes me feel like it's something completely new. One of my favorite game ever, Inside, did pretty much the exact same thing. Tiny drops of cryptic media over the years, and even when you finally sat there and finished the game, you still couldn't completely explain exactly what it was about. I wouldn't mind having that experience in the AAA space.

Yep this is my favorite approach to marketing something narrative heavy, don't tell me shit and just show a few scraps from the world and its characters through the previews. It makes it seem infinitely more appealing going in. Modern media marketing needs a throwback to how movie trailers used to be handled, without giving away most of the plot lol.

So when people reject teasers such as this which are aimed at getting us 'hyped' they're doing so based on past experience.

So maybe it's foolish to expect a traditional gameplay reveal for something like DS then, from someone like Kojima :)

You're only setting yourself up for further disappointment with this attitude of expectation based on industry wide marketing trends :shrugs

Plum

May 31, 2018
I suppose that's where I fundamentally disagree with you, that these two works are examples of mystery for the sake of mystery. I didn't feel that way about Twin Peaks: The Return, and I don't feel that way about Death Stranding. I do feel I learn something new, either with the narrative or game systems, with each trailer. Enough to feel compelled and interested in the project's development. In the case of Death Stranding, I definitely don't feel the mystery is there just for the sake of mystery. I feel they show enough with each trailer to continue piecing together the big picture without spoiling too many details that I personally don't feel are necessary at this point in time.

But I suppose that's where acknowledging the subjective experience is important. I can't agree that it's mystery for the sake of mystery. But I can agree that for some what has been shown simply isn't clear or complete enough to warrant the initial excitement, and after all this time would like to see more robust coverage of the game systems and premise.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I usually detest the "mysteries for the sake of mysteries" shtick as well. It's exactly why I tapped out of LOST all those years ago.

"Mystery for the sake of mystery," is just one part of it to me as I said in my post. In my eyes the larger issue is the a general sense that the mystery on display is being used to help themes and tones that are compelling simply because the media believes them to be that way. Essentially my problem is with art that doesn't really 'say' much, the kind of art where it's nigh-on impossible to discern what it's 'message' is because it chooses instead to focus on vague themes that have little relation to the human experience. On a personal level that kind of art just leaves me feeling that I, as a willing participant, have been asked to sit through the emotional equivalent to what I feel are the author's boring holiday photos. The Return was the tipping point, but Death Stranding, TLoU: Part 2, INSIDE, Lost in Translation (which I only first watched recently), A Machine for Pigs, etc only heightened my dislike for the tactic.

So this isn't all negative; look to Synechdoche New York for a piece of art that both manages to say something whilst indulging in vague nonsense throughout the entirety of its run. I loved that film.

So maybe it's foolish to expect a traditional gameplay reveal for something like DS then :)

Nobody's expecting it this time, they're complaining about the very high possibility that the thing this is teasing won't be it :)

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
8MyN7cO.gif

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
One of the few games that has so much intrigue and mystery no one knows what the final game plays like. I love that. Cant wait to see more.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
"Mystery for the sake of mystery," is just one part of it to me as I said in my post. In my eyes the larger issue is the a general sense that the mystery on display is being used to help themes and tones that are compelling simply because the media believes them to be that way. Essentially my problem is with art that doesn't really 'say' much, the kind of art where it's nigh-on impossible to discern what it's 'message' is because it chooses instead to focus on vague themes that have little relation to the human experience. On a personal level that kind of art just leaves me feeling that I, as a willing participant, have been asked to sit through the emotional equivalent to what I feel are the author's boring holiday photos. The Return was the tipping point, but Death Stranding, TLoU: Part 2, INSIDE, Lost in Translation (which I only first watched recently), A Machine for Pigs, etc only heightened my dislike for the tactic.

So this isn't all negative; look to Synechdoche New York for a piece of art that both manages to say something whilst indulging in vague nonsense throughout the entirety of its run. I loved that film.

Nobody's expecting it this time, they're complaining about the very high possibility that the thing this is teasing won't be it :)
At this point, I dont even know what to expect or even to look forward too. But, I know the last thing I wanna see is some over the shoulder shooter gallery shit (I know ima get mah heart broken). I hope it turns out to be some survivalist Ghostbusters game where you have to deliver the last baby on earth or sumpin.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Does anyone get the feeling that this could be the next revolutionary video game since GTA 3. I get that impression from the many people that have seen it that have been "mindblowned" by it, this could be the next big change in gaming?

a SM65/GTA 3 level event

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The guy has the names "Porter" & "Bridges", the game is about connecting people, the character was shown carrying or transporting a wide array of items in meticulous detail.

Transporting shit is absolutely going to be the core of the game, but Kojima will find a way to put a spin on it.

Like if you die, you go all the way back to the start of the journey, so when you come upon a ravine or lake you have to think very carefully if it's worth taking the chance or risk losing a lot of progress.

Also people can set down ropes that will appear in other people's games online to guide players or let people climb over gaps or up cliffs.

you may very well be correct. but, even 'spin' like this doesn't really effect what i said:

there just might be reasons other than the absence of 'killing something' that this particular 'gameplay loop' doesn't resonate with some people :) ...

tho i guess that, in one sense, anyway, we can safely say that the gameplay will definitely be delivering the goods :) ...

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
There is definitely combat in this game, but i wonder what the split will be between "rope" and "rock" (using Kojima terms)

uvozvkkx7i311.png

ThingsRscary

Banned
Mar 10, 2019
Simply you are playing as Sam BUT you are not the same Sam that I am playing with.
You are the Blue Sam and I am the one who is wearing Yellow.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
There is definitely combat in this game, but i wonder what the split will be between "rope" and "rock" (using Kojima terms)

uvozvkkx7i311.png

hopefully there is multiple solutions for problems. creativity is something absent from so many games and it sucks cause you have these open worlds and they might as well be linear besides choosing where to go in an "encampment"

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
He looks awesome, but I am actually more interested in learning about this guy

death-stranding-mads-mikkelsen-not-villain.jpg.optimal.jpg

Mad's character is said to be the main antagonist of the game, so i assume he is more powerful than Troy Baker's character, and he just seems to be a regular soldier with tentacles. It's quite intriguing

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The guy has the names "Porter" & "Bridges", the game is about connecting people, the character was shown carrying or transporting a wide array of items in meticulous detail.

Transporting shit is absolutely going to be the core of the game, but Kojima will find a way to put a spin on it.

Like if you die, you go all the way back to the start of the journey, so when you come upon a ravine or lake you have to think very carefully if it's worth taking the chance or risk losing a lot of progress.

Also people can set down ropes that will appear in other people's games online to guide players or let people climb over gaps or up cliffs.
What I gathered from the trailers and snippets of gameplay was that traversal is going to be a core aspect of the game. A lot of games have traversal but it's merely to get from point A to B, rather than being a facet of gameplay. Given that we've seen various settlements, the dangerous regions and weird/Lovecraftian threats, the different means of transporting cargo, I think it's safe to say that figuring out your route and planning to suit that route will be critical

Like do you want to carry stuff on your person, but at the expense at not having hands free? Have automated carriers so you can remain armed but are forced to travel across slower, more level routes? Cross rivers (but currents might knock you off-balance) or take high routes but make sure to have ladders to cross ravines? We've seen examples of all these kinds of things in trailers.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
What I gathered from the trailers and snippets of gameplay was that traversal is going to be a core aspect of the game. A lot of games have traversal but it's merely to get from point A to B, rather than being a facet of gameplay. Given that we've seen various settlements, the dangerous regions and weird/Lovecraftian threats, the different means of transporting cargo, I think it's safe to say that figuring out your route and planning to suit that route will be critical

Like do you want to carry stuff on your person, but at the expense at not having hands free? Have automated carriers so you can remain armed but are forced to travel across slower, more level routes? Cross rivers (but currents might knock you off-balance) or take high routes but make sure to have ladders to cross ravines? We've seen examples of all these kinds of things in trailers.
I have a feeling there is a high risk vs reward system in the gameplay loop. You want to carry a lot of stuff and get a lot of rewards? Fine, but it will be hard as hell. You want it easy? Then have very little cargo and lots of stuff with you that can aid you on the journey (extra food, extra life/baby, spare pair of boots, etc).

It will become a choice to carry a gun or leave it at the base so you can carry more stuff.
Every trip you can set your own difficulty level that way.

I imagine the whole game being very dynamic that way. Including procedural generated terrain, terrain deformation when someone creates a crater and ofcourse all the interaction with other players (good and bad ones).

Or maybe my imagination ran wild watching those cryptic trailers :p

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I have a feeling there is a high risk vs reward system in the gameplay loop. You want to carry a lot of stuff and get a lot of rewards? Fine, but it will be hard as hell. You want it easy? Then have very little cargo and lots of stuff with you that can aid you on the journey (extra food, extra life/baby, spare pair of boots, etc).

It will become a choice to carry a gun or leave it at the base so you can carry more stuff.
Every trip you can set your own difficulty level that way.

I imagine the whole game being very dynamic that way. Including procedural generated terrain, terrain deformation when someone creates a crater and ofcourse all the interaction with other players (good and bad ones).

Or maybe my imagination ran wild watching those cryptic trailers :p
Nah. I like what you think it may be. But I'm not going anywhere without a gun. Nope.

I think you gotta sneak all that stuff around without those invisible bastards noticing you. And that gameplay loop is thinking of creative ways to do so. You drop some vital stuff surrounded by those creeps and have to go get it without getting swallowed into the ground.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I'm watching all of the DS trailers again right now. After this years full of dry ass games, I'm in the mood for some genius shit. I am for one hyped.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone get the feeling that this could be the next revolutionary video game since GTA 3. I get that impression from the many people that have seen it that have been "mindblowned" by it, this could be the next big change in gaming?

a SM65/GTA 3 level event
Nah. I think this will be prettty conventional when it comes down to gameplay mechanics. Open World travel, shooting, trading(?), character interaction, cutscenes, boss fights ... But the weirdness of everything and hopefully the story will make it something special.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope KojiPro continue to remain ambiguous regarding too many specifics surrounding Death Stranding. If it weren't for the direction and editing quality of the trailers I'd probably bail out of media now and go in blind. I said it in a previous rant, but I reject the notion they haven't shown much or showcased game features. What they have done is present the narrative and game systems with a significant degree of obscurity and mystique, a choice of which can be credited for nurturing the overarching threatening and supernatural mystery of the game's premise alongside the online culture of theory crafting and intrigue.

Unlike Metal Gear Solid's exposition dumping narrative trend, Death Stranding so far has emphasised minimalism and ambiguity as a vessel for thematic and tonal delivery. The game being presented any other way would lose much if the impact its had, and the attention its warranted.

I'm just excited that everything we've seen, top to bottom, appears to be wholly unique not just from Kojima but in the gaming space.

This is my opinion on how DS has been handled marketing wise.

From a pure aesthetic/intruige perspective, DS is probably my most anticipated game.