• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh shit, the killer cut up the body then froze it. at first look it seemed like a whole body in ice.

screenshot2020-06-23a94koj.png

screenshot2020-06-23a7hkun.png

I hope the music is as rad as the first game. I also hope there are more than like six different music tracks.
the music is by Satoshi Okubo, the composer of Hotel Dusk/Last Window. it's probably gonna be more chill/jazzy, but he does great work.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
That is an interesting trailer. Never played the original, all I know about it is it's kind of a cult classic for being janky and the game has an X-files like premise
More Twin Peaks that X-Files.
X-Files was totally inspired by Twin Peaks, but Deadly Premonition is more than inspired by Twin Peaks. Sometimes it's kind of totally Twin Peaks but with some weird ass (as in, not weird in a David Lynch way, but a Swery way) stuff. Story is great, the game looks like total shit because it's a little production with a super huge ambitious game design, something along the line of Shenmue and Majora's Mask, with every major character living their life in the village, having their schedule, and hidding secrets.

Also, the game is not as janky as some people make it sound like. Some people legit try to say it's unplayable. It's enjoyable if low budget rip off RE4 with unlimited ammos sounds good to you, combat wise.

Also, even if low budget, even if the direction of voice actors suck, their performance are not that bad, and some are even good. The performance of the protagonist is totally legit, dude went all in to play this weird ass, distant but polite, FBI agent who talks to someone in his head.

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best way to play the original? I've always been curious about it but never really got around to playing it, is the PC version fine?

Deadly Prem: Origins on the Switch. The Director's Cut material from the PS3 version isn't exactly essential, and post-patch I think the Switch version has good performance. Plus you can play it handheld.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first game has its issues, but it's a legitimately great game regardless. So yeah, I'm excited for the sequel.

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
I read here I need to play the first one before this but won't have the time. Will I loose too much of the story (then I'll skip it) or can I read a summary and be fine?
The slow burn of unraveling the mystery is part of the enjoyment of the game. Getting to know the people in town and exploring. To get the most out of the game I would recommend playing the first one and holding off the 2nd. If you read a summary I think the story is easy enough to follow to catch you up but there is so much in the experience you'd miss out on. Like running out of gas in the middle of nowhere.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
DP was lighting in a bottle, so I'm wary.
I actually don't agree. Swery's two games since then were both fantastic and cemented for me DP was not a on-time hit of luck (D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die and The MISSING: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories). Both games are janky, have actually legitimately likable characters, good story & writing, and ooze a lot of heart and charm.

Hell, his game before Deadly Premonition (Spy Fiction) also fits int othe same category, even though the roughest of all the games (but it was also the first). Frankly if you look at the four games he's directed so far, all of them are in-line with each other, and all four are interesting, janky & quirky with good stories and writing.

I kinda' had the same thoughts as you before D4 came out, but after D4 & The MISSING I'm not too worried, the dude has a very distinct style in the type of games he makes (even though all four games he's directed technically play quite differently).

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still legit shocked that this exists. Really shows the power of word of mouth and enthusiast communities. Jim Sterling was the catalyst.

It's come so far from being a budget $20 Xbox 360 game.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
It looks like no combat? Hopefully that's the case, those were the worse parts of DP

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Deadly Premonition definitely wasn't a fluke. All his games have a ton of heart and charm.

Still think it's awesome that Swery was a designer on Tomba 2.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
the only thing i dont like about the original is the overworld map.

it. is. awful.
for several reasons, mostly that it doesnt zoom out far enough.

great game otherwise.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
as pointed out in this video, looks like a red seeds case happening in Louisiana was hinted at in the first game (screenshot from the prologue)

edit: and of course later in the epilogue for director's cut

screenshot2020-06-24a9fk5l.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I've never played the Original, is it worth picking it up on PC or waiting for the Switch release? I'm not interested in handheld if that's is any concern.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the japenese official website has been updated, mostly with the same info as the NoE websites.
www.toybox-games.jp

Deadly Premonition2

2020 年 7 月 10 日 全世界同時発売。Nintendo Switch / ダウンロード版 : 6,800 円

Oct 27, 2017
The first one looked like ass and had pretty bad gameplay, but goddamn if it wasn't charming due to its weirdness. I should finish the first.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
random thought:

since the original teaser trailer has a shot of the local news paper mentioning the death of Lise Clarkson in 1943, we could possibly be looking at Zach and Aaliyah ultimately solving a 75 year old case in 2019.

screenshot2020-06-24azrjnu.png

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Can't wait to play it, finally a Switch exclusive i like, just a shame it releases 4 days before Death Stranding on PC, it means i'll have to wait to play that one

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That 2 second slo mo clip of the lady bowling is really all I need to see to know this will have all of the charm of the original.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Good to know that he too likes David Cronenberg:
giphy.gif
Bu7b.gif

Videodrome on the left and eXistenZ on the right. Jim Sterling, ain´t he having a week on this site, had a fun podcast about how eXistenZ predicted the style of David Cage. I don´t disagree:
soundcloud.com

The Spin-off Doctors: eXistenZ

It's about things going in butts, basically. Also videogames, to a lesser degree.

The B-movie discussions in DP2 should be another delight.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I love Twin Peaks. I had this game on PS3, and yeah its janky and weird but it just ran like total shite. I just could not play it.

I watched like a two hour video but the entire story and everything, so might look into the sequel.