• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
What does this mean at the end when it says "Dedicated Handheld Play" does that mean I can't play this on the TV? WTH please tell me I'm wrong I don't play many switch games.

Oct 27, 2017
Still debating on whether to get this or TLOU2. Played the first one years ago (thanks to PS+) and it's a magical experience. When I got past the tutorial stage (the forest), I thought the game is low budget RE4 clone and PS2-era trash with a charm, though something kept telling me to stick with it. Glad I did because the game is now one of my favorites ever. I wish I could erase all my memories about the game and start fresh again.

Never expected a sequel to happen. I've accepted that it's not going to happen until it got announced on a random Nintendo Direct. This game is one of the reasons I bought a Switch. Very hyped for this.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The original was the best worst game I've ever played.
Embrace the jank, let it become one with you.

Looking forward to playing it again before the sequel releases. I remember very little of the story since its been so long so it will be good to relive it again.

Its gonna be just the kind of silly nonsense I need after playing TLOU2 lol

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with the Twin Peaks comparison with Deadly Premonition is that all of DP's characters feel extremely flat and uninteresting if you've watched that show...and you don't have to deal with awful play mechanics in watching it.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Everyone starts out liking it ironically, finding the jank funny, but then the game gets its hooks into you with the characters and setting, and before you know it you're not even thinking about the graphics anymore. And now with a sequel here, things would feel wrong if it looked better -- like the dated graphics are part of the art direction now, part of the world's texture and atmosphere.

That makes sense, sure. I was just baffled watching this trailer without context.

And I'm a huge David Lynch fan so I am curious about this series. The shot here with the bird with the insect in its mouth is already straight out of Blue Velvet, jesus.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like everything I wanted in a sequel.

I'm completely on board, and the game releases a day before my birthday, so I get to have fun with that.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like everything I wanted in a sequel.

I'm completely on board, and the game releases a day before my birthday, so I get to have fun with that.
As the resident horror enthusiast you probably appreciated the first game's intoxicating blend of nightmarish horror and "aww that's the cutest/sweetest thing I've ever seen"

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
I highly recommend Giant Bomb's Endurance Run of the first game.

And also there is an amazingly well-produced Let's Play series on this too by supergreatfriend at LParchive.org.

Either of these will give you an idea of why this is such a special series, especially the latter:

youtu.be

Endurance Run: Deadly Premonition: Part VJ-01

It's familiar territory for Vinny and Jeff, but this game still has a few surprises in store. If you like this, maybe you'd like to check out our website! ht...

Deadly Premonition

Let's Play Deadly Premonition by supergreatfriend

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think the meat of the game is the prequel, which takes place is Le Carre, while there are other segments set in the present (future for the original game) in an apartment in Boston.
The first game gave me an empty feeling not unlike the one I felt after reading the Battle Royale manga (the only manga I've read in full), and I mean that as a compliment.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ezgif-2-418da5ad470aidknw.gif

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This and Paper Mario will compliment each other well, I think.

Hoping for some Twin Peaks Season 3 influence here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
That is an interesting trailer. Never played the original, all I know about it is it's kind of a cult classic for being janky and the game has an X-files like premise. What's the draw for DP and DP2?
Is the draw for this game the "extremely polarizing reviews", confusing you as to whether you want to play the game or not.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Is the draw for this game the "extremely polarizing reviews", confusing you as to whether you want to play the game or not.
Yes the extremes does confuse me and I'm not sure how large of a time sink the game will be which is why I didn't pick up DP remastered . But it does look super interesting

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes the extremes does confuse me and I'm not sure how large of a time sink the game will be which is why I didn't pick up DP remastered . But it does look super interesting

The first one can be kinda long if you wanna actually do some side quests but otherwise it's fairly short (like 10-15hrs max I'd say).

It has a genuinely great story with a genuinely fantastic cast of characters. The gameplay is certainly not its strong suit, but it's not so bad (IMO) that it really detracts from the overall experience. It has a ton of jank in both the gameplay and cutscenes, though I tend to find the latter extremely charming (you can judge that for yourself by watching the videos in this thread).

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Im super hyped lol

I honestly wish the super best friends were still around for this

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this bone-hand-gun... (pics from here by Chemi_ro)
ebnsyb8u0aautii5mj8i.jpeg

sorry, got it wrong, 5 years before and 9 years after (2005 and 2019, first game taking place in 2010). it's basically the same premise as true detective season 1. serial murder case happening in 2005, york goes to a southern town to solve it, the case is presumed solved. in 2019 the case is re-opened by two new FBI agents as similar murders are happening (??).

Last edited:

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sorry, got it wrong, 5 years before and 9 years after (2005 and 2019, first game taking place in 2010). it's basically the same premise as true detective season 1. serial murder case happening in 2005, york goes to a southern town to solve it, the case is presumed solved. in 2019 the case is re-opened by two new FBI agents as similar murders are happening (??).
Oh, it's all good, my amazement was more at the plot device itself, not the actual difference.

Ready for another fun time, aren't we Zach?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Last gen games look way better than this game. So many assets either have flat textures or low res textures. The lack of cohesion just makes everything look worse. And everything is completely wrong with York's entire eye structure in that last close up shot.
That sounds very in line with Deadly Premonition.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
This looks nice enough. Got disappointed as I thought this is something based off of John Le Carre novels.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
That is certainly some Deadly Premonition graphics lmao

But regardless, still can't believe there's a DP sequel and it's releasing soon. 😄

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I hope the music is as rad as the first game. I also hope there are more than like six different music tracks.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
I read here I need to play the first one before this but won't have the time. Will I loose too much of the story (then I'll skip it) or can I read a summary and be fine?