• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really curious about this one.

I finished the first and second game just a few months ago on PC. Enjoyed the first but its sequel was a step-up in almost every way (brought down by lots of technical issues unfortunatley). Can I expect the same jump in quality from DSIII as well though?

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I loved all the games so far, I'm game for another release.
Personally I think they'll go the route of following humanity's recovery. Maybe try and open world this time with an actual class system? Maybe a co-op game?

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Given that it's been leaked that it's a 39.99 game, Airship Syndicate's change of banner and it's name. I'm going to assume it's a turn based game set during the Nephlim conflict. Which makes me wonder how they would translate to that type of gameplay since they seem to severely lack healing magic and magic in general(Fury is called a Mage but she got most of her Magic in DS3). Makes me feel like they will add a character or 2, especially if they want it to be similar to Battle Chasers Nightwar, which I felt had a great gameplay system.

I wish I was more hyped for this but after AMA I really became disinterested in supporting the company.

Really curious about this one.

I finished the first and second game just a few months ago on PC. Enjoyed the first but its sequel was a step-up in almost every way (brought down by lots of technical issues unfortunatley). Can I expect the same jump in quality from DSIII as well though?

Darksiders 3 is a bit more far removed than 2 was from 1. It's a much harder and more cryptic game, where dungeons/zones blend in with each other and enemies /bosses have a variety of attack patterns. They've changed it by adding stuff like classic mode( which I recommend having) and different difficulties where it makes it play a bit closer. I wouldn't go in expecting an upgrade over DS2(which is my favorite) but more of a different take on the franchise(and probably what you should expect from Darksiders since 2 was considered far different from 1 before 3 came out.
3 also suffers from a lack of puzzles.

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Given that it's been leaked that it's a 39.99 game, Airship Syndicate's change of banner and it's name. I'm going to assume it's a turn based game set during the Nephlim conflict. Which makes me wonder how they would translate to that type of gameplay since they seem to severely lack healing magic and magic in general(Fury is called a Mage but she got most of her Magic in DS3). Makes me feel like they will add a character or 2, especially if they want it to be similar to Battle Chasers Nightwar, which I felt had a great gameplay system.

I wish I was more hyped for this but after AMA I really became disinterested in supporting the company.

Darksiders 3 is a bit more far removed than 2 was from 1. It's a much harder and more cryptic game, where dungeons/zones blend in with each other and enemies /bosses have a variety of attack patterns. They've changed it by adding stuff like classic mode( which I recommend having) and different difficulties where it makes it play a bit closer. I wouldn't go in expecting an upgrade over DS2(which is my favorite) but more of a different take on the franchise(and probably what you should expect from Darksiders since 2 was considered far different from 1 before 3 came out.
3 also suffers from a lack of puzzles.

Actually, 3 had a bunch of puzzles. Some even clever.

They just tucked them all away for the last 3rd of the game.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Darksiders 3 was pretty good, but I loved 2 the most. I think Ds3 will be a Birth by Sleep/Borderlands 2 scenario for me where, when I played it I just didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I really should have because my head wasn't in the right space. A discussion for a different time, though.

The thing I really enjoy about the franchise though is that, they've essentially done a "we take a bunch of games we like, smash them together, and then put our own art and lore over it with some of our own little twists on the systems to make them work and there you go."

Ds1: Legend of Zelda + God of War. Also had a Portal Gun.
Ds2: Legend of Zelda + Prince of Persia + Devil May Cry + Diablo. Also had a Portal Gun. Possessed Weapons were a cool unique mechanic.
Ds3: Metroid + Bayonetta + Bloodborne.

The thing with the first two is that they felt like they were very much like playing the same game with a different playable character. They weren't by a good amount. There are a ton of differences (Ds2's much more massive world, level up skill system, loot system, compared to Ds2's enhancement systems), but there's a level of familiarity with a lot of systems, such as the feeling of a Zelda-esque dungeon-based game structure, the horse mechanics, the third person shooter sections, portal guns (Voidwalkers), finishers, lock-on systems (also zelda-esque). Each character had a "hookshot," though War's Abyssal Chain functioned a little bit differently than Death's Death Grip. Death's Redemption functioned more like a traditional bow and arrow as a opposed to War's Mercy. Death's sub-weapons were evolved versions of War's: the two-handed slow weapons focusing more on range and groups of enemies like War's Harvester scythe, and the fast weapons focusing more on rapid-fire, close-range singular attacks like War's Tremor Gauntlets. And obviously Death and War played completely different. I remember the devs saying in an interview that the inspiration for Death's style of combat was Ryu Hayabusa, compared to War's more direct Kratos. When you look at it like that, Ds3 is already a bit of a massive departure simply by ditching the horse and item systems, though the Hollows still offer secondary abilities (like War's dark wings or whatever those were called. I always forget) as well as getting the Crossblade later on. Ds3 also does have dungeons, but again it's not like the previous two games' Zelda-style "HERE'S A DUNGEON. GO IN." It's more of a Metroid/Bloodborne-style "oh well I guess this is must be the 'dungeon' then." And obviously the character fights differently as well, as I compared her personally more to Bayonetta than anything else if we're sticking to character-action comparisons like the prior two.

The power-up systems have always been different with each game, so that's never been a big thing. Ds2 is actually the big departure there. In Ds1 it was leveling up weapons through usage and enhancements. In Ds2 it was a more traditional RPG system where stats are boosted using loot and by leveling up through experience gained from quests and killing enemies and levels give you skill points to spend on honest-to-god skills. Ds3 has you spend your money to level up, but brings back the enhancement and weapon upgrade system from the first one as well as souls being the currency. A weapon's base stats upgraded through crafting instead of just usage, as well as upgradable enhancements is another departure, however.

Ds3 is still very much in the same spiritual vein as the previous two games, it just doesn't follow the "Look it's Zelda + X (+Y(+Z(...)))" It does Metroid instead! My biggest fear with Ds4, Strife's game, has always been that this will be the big genre departure. Being that his combat is entirely gun-based, it has the potential to be the most unique experience of the four. However, it also has the potential to be the most disappointing, because they could either A) turn it into a shooter, which would really ruin my favorite part of the whole franchise, or B) pare down his combat to utilize guns as little as possible and make it more "traditional," because in order to keep him in the same style as the previous three and focus on guns would simply be too taxing. I also wouldn't just want Metroid Prime-style, but my guess is that's probably the most likely way. I want it third-person, because a combat system with guns as the main weapon done in the same vein and style that the other three have been crafting over the course of the series (but still remained unique and different) would be my jam. My big thing right now is trying to figure out where Strife's story lands, because I'm replaying Ds2, and I feel like some timeline stuff kinda clashes. Maybe the DLC will clear things up, but DLC in Ds2 wasn't plot relevant in the slightest and I doubt it'll be the same in Ds3 with Keepers of the Void when that drops. Plus, Darksiders: Genesis seems to be the thing that's popping up, so I see a prequel of some sort which would probably deal with the Nephelim War and maybe some other pre-series important shit. Ds2 plays up the deposing of Argul a ton in its side lore but never once is it brought into the main story fold and that bugs the fuck out of me.
DARKSIDERS MUSOU WHERE YOU MURDER THE NEPHILIM EN MASSE
You could do a lot with that, actually. Deposing Argul with the Lord of Bones could be a storyline to throw in there as well.
JFC, after the first game's ending there's only one direction the franchise needs to go and they fucking know it. Why they are tiptoeing around it like this since basically D2 is beyond me. Finish the damn fight!
This has been the whole franchise's direction from the beginning. Build up each of the Horsemans' stories to the final battle and then the final game is the final battle with all four.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing prequel game by the Battle Chasers team in that style then.

What didnt they finish? Ive been out of the loop on this one, did like Battle Chasers though.

He's probably talking about the Battle Chasers comic book series that was unifinished long before the game existed, that Joe Mad said he'd go back to.

Wow I didn't even realize they released the 3rd one yet

It's good, it's probably the game with the most consistant vision of the three games, even through the Souls elements might not be for everyone I felt their take on those were pretty good.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
I'll buy Darksiders anything, but a 3rd person shooter with strife that plays like Space Marine would get me extra hyped.

A turn based game set during the Nephilim conflict similar to Battle Chasers would be super badass too though.

I'm on board!

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Some fun speculation from my side: I think the developer of this non-traditional Darksdiers game may be Airship Syndicate (BattleChasers). They have now started teasing their next game on their twitter header:

1500x500

Notably, Joe "Mad" Madueira, the man behind the art direction of Darksiders works at Airship.

I could see two scenarios here: a classic old-school rpg (like BattleChasers), or some kind of co-op action rpg.

Thoughts?

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Some fun speculation from my side: I think the developer of this non-traditional Darksdiers game may be Airship Syndicate (BattleChasers). They have now started teasing their next game on their twitter header:

1500x500

Notably, Joe "Mad" Madueira, the man behind the art direction of Darksiders works at Airship.

I could see two scenarios here: a classic old-school rpg (like BattleChasers), or some kind of co-op action rpg.

Thoughts?

Fry-Starts-Breathing-Heavily-On-Futurama-Reaction-Gif.gif

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, Airship has less people than Gunfire, but then again, Darksiders 3 was made with ~20 devs. I expect another 2D game from Airship.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
They are hiring both for people with Unity experience (BC also used Unity), and for experience with Unreal Engine and action games 👀

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
They work on several games at once. They talk about it on camera during Game Informer cover story visit.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
I agree. It doesnt start that strong but once you get past the first few humps it becomes the best game in the series.

I was a fan of the old ones, as well as Dark souls and metroidvanias so I loved getting to see those things mix.
I stopped playing after
a few bosses and when that portal in front of the church appeared. Should I continue? I really loved DS1 and DS 2.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I stopped playing after
a few bosses and when that portal in front of the church appeared. Should I continue? I really loved DS1 and DS 2.
Totally, specially If youre into exploration. It opens up as kind of a Dark Souls 1/metroidvania map and there are secret spots to uncover everywhere. What you played so far is the weakness part of the game in my opinion.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I stopped playing after

Bro you haven't even fought the BEST boss yet, keep going. IMMEDIATELY after the portal appears you're gonna get some of the best dialogue and characterization out of Fury that this game has to offer.

They are hiring both for people with Unity experience (BC also used Unity), and for experience with Unreal Engine and action games 👀

Nightwar 2 is obviously happening. It's more a matter of what they're gonna do with it. Stick to the ATB style or go full 'Tales of' with the design

OldBoyGamer

Dec 11, 2017
FTR. I loved #1. War is a great looking character who was animated stunningly. Thought it was brilliant. But when I replayed the PS4 remaster it lost something but I've not been able to figure out what. Maybe it was of it's time?

#2 I didn't enjoy much tbh. Weak main character.

#3 I missed. Just didn't appeal.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

a battle chasers style game would be a new direction for the series as rumoured, and it would fit the lower budget the series sales clearly shows it needs.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
Can't wait to not buy it due to THQNordic being awful.

Its such a shame after the first two how bad the third was, which makes it like an even easier decision to absolutely not care.

But I am here to remind everyone that THQNordic held an AMA on 8chan, which is where the people who were too bad for 4chan went.