• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Any chance this is 60 fps on current consoles?

The game is due for release on current consoles only right now so showing gameplay at 60fps is pretty much a sign this is how it will run (don't know if on all base consoles).

PS: The n-sane trilogy was shown at 60fps once and it was 30fps in the end so we'll never know

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Does Crash have a super duper spin of some kind now? It turns purple-ish a few times in that footage.

Screenshot_20200629-192525_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20200629-192505_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

Barrel-kun

Banned
Nov 23, 2019
I wish they wouldn't hide new footage in these videos with narration. I just want to see the gameplay not hear some dudes unsolicitated opinion.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
That sprawling view of the level while you grind over the ropes above is absolutely wonderful, as is the rest of the footage. It looks to be doing everything right.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
I think it might have been confirmed somewhere, but I am not 100% certain. It may have been speculation.
Every video except this one has been running at what looks like a native 60. Seems like there's a good chance.
The game is due for release on current consoles only right now so showing gameplay at 60fps is pretty much a sign this is how it will run (don't know if on all base consoles).

PS: The n-sane trilogy was shown at 60fps once and it was 30fps in the end so we'll never know
Cool didn't know other videos have been 60 fps. Fingers crossed then.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Well, at first he said "yes, the game runs at 60" in the Crash Discord, but now he's playing it safe and saying it probably does.

...It probably does, though.

I never meant to imply anything other than the fact that the unaltered footage is native 60, and thus the game *appears* to run 60. So I'm sorry if that came across as potentially misleading or if this comes across as backtracking. That being said:

People like to throw the N.Sane Trilogy trailer around saying "N.Sane was 60 in trailers" but it was (seemingly interpolated) 60 in one trailer, and then never again. Said trailer was a marketing trailer done by a 3rd party.

Thus far with Crash 4, every piece of material sent out by Activision has been recorded in native 60, and with the game coming out in less than 100 days, I feel that's likely to be indicative of the final product, yes. In the B-Roll footage from last week you can see the game's very aggressive LOD and level streaming if you watch the skylines and backgrounds in certain shots, particularly the rail grind in the junkyard level. They seem to be doing a lot to manage the high rate.

There's a moment of slow-mo in the IGN footage that remains smooth despite the slow down -- which probably is a result of the source video being 60 despite IGN rendering in 30.

FWIW, on Twitter Lou Studdert mentioned they're not talking about tech stats yet when asked about the framerate.

GoGoDezmo

Nov 8, 2019
Man, this is game is looking so good.

It's nice that we're seeing more mutant's as enemies. They're finally following up on Cortex's original plan to create a mutant army!

Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017
This looks glorious. Exactly what I'd want as a continuation of Crash from 3. Really excited for this!

Sebalt

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a simple man, if I see a pirate level in a video game, I love it. That's simple.

But even without that, it still looks really really good and fun, can't wait.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That looks fantastic. Makes me think of a Donkey Kong Country game if it were in 3D.

This game is gonna be a massive hit with both old and new gamers.

Oct 27, 2017
Toys for Bob is KILLIN' IT with that pirate themed level. It looks SO. DAMN. GOOD!
Just look at the flow when he's rail grinding and breaking crates, fantastic!
Enemies are actually affecting the trajectory of other enemies that are sent flying, nice!
And, hey, we've got a deadly new fire-spitting crate type, dope! The crates that the other post-ND games tried implementing were always either too situational (WoC's invisibility crate) or redundant (Twinsanity's detonator crate), but this fire-spitting crate looks about a versatile as the Nitro or TNT!
I can't wait to get my hands on this.
That looks fantastic. Makes me think of a Donkey Kong Country game if it were in 3D.

This game is gonna be a massive hit with both old and new gamers.
lol, I feel like that's just basically what the classic Crash trilogy is.
The 3D DKC game that we never got on N64.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Maybe that's part of why I like Crash so much. DK is one of my favorite series and Crash gameplay is basically 3D DK

Oct 31, 2017
It looks pretty good. I like that it seems very platform and hazard focused, just what I want out of my platforming games, especially Crash.

I think the art looks OK. It's serviceable. It looks better than it did when we first got glimpses of the game, but I still don't think it touches the original games' art. That said, it does look better than every single Crash Bandicoot game after Warped which is a good thing.

Gameplay wise, specifically in regards to how Crash moves, jumps, and interacts with the crates, I think it looks pretty good too. But just judging it from the video footage we've seen, it still has this kind of flimsy, "cheapness" (hard to describe, I don't want to be insulting to the devs either) to the movement/interaction.

The moving and interacting with crates in the original games was a huge reason they were so good and why they still hold up. Crash feels good to move around. His jumps are springy with just enough air time, and he lands with a nice solid heft in those original games. Same with the crates, they felt good to jump on and spin into. The sound and particle effects that played when Crash broke them also had a solid, heftiness to them that just felt good.

In many ways, the core basics of Crash (run, jump, spin, interact with crates, wumpa fruit, and enemies) felt very good and is probably the one platformer series that comes the closest to replicating Mario in that manner of nailing the core basic fundamentals.

From what we've seen so far of Crash 4, the core fundamental gameplay elements look good, but they still seem to lack that sense of weight/heftiness/visceral-sensation that the original Crash games did so well with controlling Crash. Crash 4, so far, unsurprisingly looks more like the N. Sane Trilogy in this regard rather than the original games.

All this said, I'm still very excited for this and will play the hell out of this when the time arrives.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Playing through trilogy again and it's kinda sad how ugly crash looks compared to crash 4 crash now. It has been throwing me off.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
from that clip it looks really, really good. the density of level design, enemy and location variety ... it looks like there's even multiple paths (since the rope section goes above part of the stage). I've gone from cautiously optimistic to totally on board.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The guy makes such a fuss about a crate with a shark on it, but it looks just like any other asset in a level that is part of the scenery and not interact-able lol
hes clearly joking around about the concept of there being a crate labelled with a shark on it, not sure how you seemed to take that as "he thinks the shark crate is a new mechanic"

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
hes clearly joking around about the concept of there being a crate labelled with a shark on it, not sure how you seemed to take that as "he thinks the shark crate is a new mechanic"

If its a joke he should have said, you know, something funny when talking about it instead of sounding like every other person nerding out over possible discoveries in a short trailer.

It didn't land, it just looked like the guy couldn't tell that was a scenery asset in the level lol.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
A bunch of people commented on the shark crate stuff, he even addressed it in the comments. The joke did not work.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
If its a joke he should have said, you know, something funny when talking about it instead of sounding like every other person nerding out over possible discoveries in a short trailer.

It didn't land, it just looked like the guy couldn't tell that was a scenery asset in the level lol.
it doesnt need to be funny for you to recognize it as an attempt at a joke? why would he consider it being filled with "costumes or shark food" if it he thought it was a game mechanic, what purpose would that serve in the game?