• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Honest question from someone who has never played Crackdown but I just watched some of the gameplay videos.....what is the appeal of this game over something like Just Cause 4? They look similar-ish in that its seems more about the fun you create on your own and the chaos that you can create but yeah, Crackdown looks a little....sterile by comparison.
If it's like the original, it's a nice blend of diverse genres without any major technical or gameplay flaws. The driving, platforming, shooting and melee were all solid. It's far more goal and stats oriented than the Just Cause franchise, which I found to be kind of aimless, perhaps intentionally.

Regarding some of the other posts, I don't see the need to keep re-litigating the graphics if the gameplay is solid. Like, ok, we get it. It's not a graphical powerhouse. Neither was Crackdown 1, even for the time.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I can't wait for this game to be released, feels like we are getting a daily thread to post a new video showing how the game is. And it's always the same, who liked the first video, still likes, who thinks it's boring and look far from a big release, doesn't change the mind. I personally think there are so many things that are meh that it would be hard for me to even download it on GamePass, for now. Guys saying that it is graphically great usually point out to the draw distance that really is good, but I really can't see what else is good about it. Explosions look bad, if you are lucky to have some 3-5 happening at the same time then it gives a nice visual because of the colors, but that is it.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly that video made me less excited, some of it looked fun, but I think the game looks pretty bad graphically during the day, at night it looks awesome with all the neon around. Also the amount of traffic in the city is horrendous, it's so empty, just keeps on smacking you in the face and how empty it all is. Loved the original Crackdown, but hated 2, so this is a wait and see for me, feel kind of like how I felt about 2 before release.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I can't wait for this game to be released, feels like we are getting a daily thread to post a new video showing how the game is. And it's always the same, who liked the first video, still likes, who thinks it's boring and look far from a big release, doesn't change the mind. I personally think there are so many things that are meh that it would be hard for me to even download it on GamePass, for now. Guys saying that it is graphically great usually point out to the draw distance that really is good, but I really can't see what else is good about it. Explosions look bad, if you are lucky to have some 3-5 happening at the same time then it gives a nice visual because of the colors, but that is it.
Huh? the explosions and effects look so good in this game.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
One aspect I really appreciate is how they zoomed the camera out. It was so close to the player in CD1 that climbing Shai Gen district skyscrapers could be an exercise in frustration because you had no perspective.

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
693589-infamous-2-playstation-3-screenshot-cole-possesses-a-special.jpg

Hmmmmm......
People most def trying too hard. Going forward the "Apex" surprise release should be carefully considered to stop all the pre toxic narratives from mostly people who haven't played the game.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Game looks great. Not sure what people are seeing when they say it looks terrible. Maybe they don't remember how 360 games actually looked.

I'm just happy it looks really fun to play, it's like playing an action movie. Maybe it needs more chibi anime girls, or walking scenes and cinematic dribble to appeal to some of the people here.

If RDR2 could be GOTY, where you spend half the game on a horse, and the other half getting used to its ridiculous clunky controls, I'm not sure why this can't at least be a good game.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
For how long? I mean you can do the same in Spiderman. I think the multiplayer will be more fun!
You're completely missing the point:
I think what I really loved about Crackdown - and what is still so rare in open world games - is that you had to actually climb buildings through platforming, so there was a real sense of achievement when you reached the top, or a balcony or ledge with a hidden orb. Games like Prototype, Infamous and Spider-Man etc - they let you run (or swing) up towers but it's not the same. Just simply running up a building as if it's the ground provides no sense of achievement when you get there, and no sense of wonder when you're at the bottom looking up wondering if there might be a hidden orb up there.

It's where BotW particularly excelled - rather than just being able to run up any mountain, you had to figure out a way to get up there. It made it so much more rewarding when you did, and provided so much more of a sense of wonder as you explore the environment.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact - Crackdown was inspiration during the creation of Gravity Rush.
Not surprised at some influence for Gravity Rush coming from Crackdown. I play both franchises the same way:
*sets my goal on a story mission*
*sees orbs slash purple gems*
*takes detour to grab them*
*sees more orbs/gems after grabbing the first ones*
*extends detour to grab them too*
*"ooooh, even more to collect a little further away"*
*extends detour for the third time*
*repeat until I see no more loot and can proceed to the start of the mission*

These power up collectibles are like crack to me.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Been watching a few streams on mixer and twitch, they seem to be having a lot of fun playing it.
Have it preordered and ready to go tonight!

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Not surprised at some influence for Gravity Rush coming from Crackdown. I play both franchises the same way:
*sets my goal on a story mission*
*sees orbs slash purple gems*
*takes detour to grab them*
*sees more orbs/gems after grabbing the first ones*
*extends detour to grab them too*
*"ooooh, even more to collect a little further away"*
*extends detour for the third time*
*repeat until I see no more loot and can proceed to the start of the mission*

These power up collectibles are like crack to me.
It makes for a great gameplay loop. In the original Crackdown, I never really went after bosses, I just kinda stumbled on them while orb hunting and figured "fuck it". I love the amount of freedom Crackdown gives to the player.

walriii314

Oct 28, 2017
Never cared for crackdown, but i'm really looking forward to this game, don't get the hate on this game at all, it looks good, can't wait to give it a go, this and then metro will keep me busy for the month.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
It makes for a great gameplay loop. In the original Crackdown, I never really went after bosses, I just kinda stumbled on them while orb hunting and figured "fuck it". I love the amount of freedom Crackdown gives to the player.

I'm beginning to think I never actually finished crackdown 1. I poured an ungodly amount of time into that game, but I simply don't recall ever killing the final boss. Kept getting sidetracked.

I can't wait to get sidetracked in CD3

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, everything else here is subjective, but the draw distance can actually be measured. Are you really saying that Crackdown's draw distance is lackluster? How far should you be able to see?
I disagree that everything I mentioned is subjective. The world is ridiculously empty, lacks dynamism, building geometry is really flat, basic and lacking detail. Environmental detail is evidently lackluster. Animations are primitive for a current gen game and their complexity can be measured. Character model detail can be measured. This is a screen even Klobrille posted. The detail is atrocious even in the foreground, background is even worse:

09.02.2019_01-31-04-zpuk5c.jpg

Now when it comes to draw distance, I could be mixing up my terms here but looking at this screen there's not much going on in the background and it lacks a ton of detail and clarity from a distance. With what the engine has to load in the LOD should not be this ridiculously low. Is it a bug? I dunno but it doesn't look good. The game might look better at night but then again so do most games because detail is shrouded in shadows and neon lights are pretty. Everything I mentioned is based on everything they've shown so far. The release build might be a step above, but I'm not judging it on that. If you want to say this screen in particular doesn't represent the game I'm open to hearing why. Have I just picked a bad screenshot to use as an example?

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree that everything I mentioned is subjective. The world is ridiculously empty, lacks dynamism, building geometry is really flat, basic and lacking detail. Environmental detail is evidently lackluster. Animations are primitive for a current gen game and their complexity can be measured. Character model detail can be measured. This is a screen even Klobrille posted. The detail is atrocious even in the foreground, background is even worse:

Now when it comes to draw distance, I could be mixing up my terms here but looking at this screen there's not much going on in the background and it lacks a ton of detail and clarity from a distance. With what the engine has to load in the LOD should not be this ridiculously low. Is it a bug? I dunno but it doesn't look good. The game might look better at night but then again so do most games because detail is shrouded in shadows and neon lights are pretty. Everything I mentioned is based on everything they've shown so far. The release build might be a step above, but I'm not judging it on that. If you want to say this screen in particular doesn't represent the game I'm open to hearing why. Have I just picked a bad screenshot to use as an example?

yeh, i'm not seeing it either. The game might be a blast to play, and from the video's I've seen the game looks like a ton of fun.

But I haven't seen anything yet that makes the game look graphically 'good'.

Even in the screenshot above, it looks so lifeless, shouldn't there be cars on the road on the left side?

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise

I don't see it.

I think you're mixing up art style and graphical fidelity.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, I don't really wanna pile on but the aesthetic in this game or whatever you wanna call it is still very unappealing the more I see of this game. It's like someone said, "I wanna make it futuristic! And what says futuristic? Red, blue and purple all over the place! Just slather it on there, don't be shy."

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil

Zooming the buildings reminds me a lot Cities Skylines
sjfMtRW.jpg

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
It's important to note that highly ornate designs will result in tons of LOD pop-in for a game like this where the player moves fast and jumps high. For example

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT

Let's talk about substance over style. In that screenshot, I can clearly make out what I can jump on (or at least should be able to jump on) going out quite a far way.

If you start adding useless detail and random clutter, you start making the gameplay worse, for how you play this game.

And I think you are mixing up terms in your complaint, and should probably sort that out.

EDIT: To clarify a little more, if I cant make out at high speed what I can and cannot land on, it makes platforming harder. It's not like in assassin's creed, where you go fairly slow and deliberate, or something like uncharted or tomb raider where theres almost to much visual information and they have to basically color code where you can go.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
All I could think of when it was showing the platforming section is....what if you fall? Do you have to start all the way over again? Does it have a check point system or a way to save yourself?

The battling at the beginning just looked awful. I'd compare it to Ratchet and Clank in terms of how they tend to do 3rd person battling whenits mist a bunch of crazy guns and similar mechs and the camera as well as the character movement here just looked incredibly stiff.

For the most part, if you fall off a building you're trying to scale, you just fall and have to start over.

I do belive that the main boss tower has agency check points that you can unlock as spawn points.

The only thing that isn't better than the original game is the way your character picks things up. You just kind of magnetically 'pull' it into your hands and I don't like it.

I actually see the current system as an improvement because it removes some of the clunkiness of picking things up. When multiple items are close to each other. Also I believe it gives an added benefit to building your strength because you'll be able to start picking things up from further away.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling and System Wars; Accumulated Infractions
I think you're mixing up art style and graphical fidelity.
I don't think so. Here are focused in on just some of the low detail areas you can see for yourself:

hUjLKgb.png

x8XEu5X.png

uWE0WpZ.png

LXl9iN4.png

SQTtJF9.png

It's important to note that highly ornate designs will result in tons of LOD pop-in for a game like this where the player moves fast and jumps high. For example

If that is the case, then I'm looking forward to seeing someone grab a shot that doesn't contain pop-in if that is what we're seeing here.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

Holy shit, it's truly embarrassing how much time you spend shitting on a game you clearly have no interest in. Even more embarrassing that you were whining about people shitting on Days Gone. Do you not have any self awareness?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, it's truly embarrassing how much time you spend shitting on a game you clearly have no interest in. Even more embarrassing that you were whining about people shitting on Days Gone. Do you not have any self awareness?
I see nothing wrong with discussing a game regardless of the chances of me ever playing it, and it helps when I'm doing so with things that can be proven. You attempting to discredit or whatever this is, by bring up a different game like Days Gone in this thread reflects worse on you, given that what I have complained about with in Days Gone threads are comments and complaints that people refuse to back up with anything of substance, whereas I'm talking about what is distinguishable from footage and describing it in detail. If you don't want to engage, then just ignore.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. Here are focused in on just some of the low detail areas you can see for yourself:

hUjLKgb.png

x8XEu5X.png

uWE0WpZ.png

LXl9iN4.png

SQTtJF9.png

If that is the case, then I'm looking forward to seeing someone grab a shot that doesn't contain pop-in if that is what we're seeing here.

Why not grab shots from when a player is closer to the detail you are trying to critique? This is an open world game, there's bound to be some fairly aggressive LODs, especially when the player can move at high speeds - which is generally a situation where you don't need so much detail from far away.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Why not grab shots from when a player is closer to the detail you are trying to critique? This is an open world game, there's bound to be some fairly aggressive LODs, especially when the player can move at high speeds - which is generally a situation where you don't need so much detail from far away.
I understand what you mean, but the problem I'm seeing is that some of these shots are from the foreground, which I have mentioned before and given that the world isn't really dense or complex, the LOD shouldn't even need be this low in the background but it is. I'm just saying that if what I'm saying isn't true then screenshot must be a bad example.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

hUjLKgb.png

x8XEu5X.png

uWE0WpZ.png

LXl9iN4.png

SQTtJF9.png

Wait wait wait wait. Did you zoom in on screenshots to prove a point about low details that are already at a distance in game ?

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I understand what you mean, but the problem I'm seeing is that some of these shots are from the foreground, which I have mentioned before and given that the world isn't really dense or complex, the LOD shouldn't even need be this low in the background but it is. I'm just asking, is that screenshot a bad example or is this the fidelity of the game?
Dude, just go watch one of the million people streaming it right now then come back with information to answer your speculation.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Wait wait wait wait. Did you zoom in on screenshots to prove a point about low details that are already at a distance in game ?
The first shot is in the foreground, very close to the player position. Pretty sure these shots are 1:1 based on the resolution, not zoomed cause that's how I captured them- and my point is, how is the LOD this poor in the distance even in shots where the objects aren't that far away?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I said yesterday that the Digital Foundry coverage will be an interesting one because John always gives games a fair shake. Crackdown 3 looks, ummm, alright. It has clean IQ and outputs a native 4k resolution. I think you will be validated there but that is where it stops doing "great" in my opinion. The world itself, the design, the environmental detail, draw distance, animations, character models, are all lackluster and I'm better off not bringing up the multiplayer map design.
John is "stunned by how good the game looks".

It's a shame he didn't check your zoomed in footage before making his opinion.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, just go watch one of the million people streaming it right now then come back with information to answer your speculation.
Like I said I'm looking forward to the DF analysis and seeing what John has to say outside of image quality, 4K resolution and HDR (which was my initial point) because I'm saying it doesn't look great to me in almost every other area. If the final build is a lot better than what I've seen then coolio. Anyway I'm out for now.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
The first shot is in the foreground, very close to the player position. Pretty sure these shots are 1:1 based on the resolution, not zoomed cause that's how I captured them- and my point is, how is the LOD this poor in the distance even in shots where the objects aren't that far away?

It's not a mistake or cheaping out - it's 100% to aid gameplay. Dont you notice that every single piece of geometry can be very quickly discerned from one another? That's not a mistake.

If you are just on about there being no cars or whatnot, I don't know what to tell you, the game throws tons of enemies on screen at certain points, so *shrug*

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I understand what you mean, but the problem I'm seeing is that some of these shots are from the foreground, which I have mentioned before and given that the world isn't really dense or complex, the LOD shouldn't even need be this low in the background but it is. I'm just saying that if what I'm saying isn't true then screenshot must be a bad example.

I'm just looking at what you posted, the avatar appears to be falling from over 60ft in the air, and some of the areas you zoomed in on must be hundreds to thousands of feet away. In motion, why would anyone need detail to be any higher on things that far away.

from a distance, you really just need to have readibility, so you can know what areas are actually worth traversing to, and I think crackdown 3 handles this well. Then up close you need to be able to read the geometry so you can tell which surfaces are scalable and what not. All that gameplay facing stuff should take precedence over aesthetic detail.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Take a look at a screenshot of ANY open world game and you'll see the same level of degradation with models and lighting effects the further away from the camera you get.
DG-E3-WBB1-3.jpg

37-D5-CE0-F-0-B45-41-D2-A261-4-FC480-E5-B958.jpg

151-BEE80-71-FB-4844-8-D46-186-ABCD5-B967.jpg

Are you saying all models are the same in Crackdown 3 regardless of how far away from them you are?

What I'm saying is the world of Crackdown 3 is designed to make increases in LOD unnoticeable or at least not jarring.