• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
tenor.gif

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't see how that won't mess with crossplay. Maybe they'll have a mode to just play that map exclusively for a week like Nuketowm 24/7.

not too hard to do. you don't even need for players to see anything on their end. just disable xbox users from being able to connect to ps4 users for that one week. i don't expect them to advertise a separate playlist as they don't want to make your average xbox user aware.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going Xbox this COD, I've been PS4 for the last few but this looks a bit of a graphic showcase

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Im glad a week is equivalent to 6 months to a year of exclusivity. Gottem
Where were you over the past years that Sony has been pulling this same thing? Call of Duty used to be a month+, Destiny has been a year or more.

Microsoft pulled the same shit pre-2015 and were horrible for it. It's a terrible thing to do all around. This whole "it's only 7 days" argument is bullshit.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
The fuck is even the point in 7 days? Who is going "shit man better buy a PS4 because I can play a map 7 days ealier"

Nowadays it does not make much difference to final consumers, but all "content creators" may play on PS4 because of that. I've seen a lot of people on YouTube that play RDR2 only on the PS4 because it also has this "Content First" thing.

Jan 17, 2019
When it was Microsoft's turn last gen, it was longer.

And there was shit like THIS that PS3 owners had to put up with along the way. Now it's faux outrage over lack of crossplay for a machine with the highest current playerbase, and tears over having to wait 7 days before DLC drops.

The phrase "tit for tat" exists for a reason. MS started this shit, Sony's just been returning the favor.

Let's ignore what MS did during last-gen, shall we. Well, i'd waited for ROTR for PC 3 months. 1 week for some map isn't big deal. Really.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Nowadays it does not make much difference to final consumers, but all "content creators" may play on PS4 because of that. I've seen a lot of people on YouTube that play RDR2 only on the PS4 because it also has this "Content First" thing.

This is a very good point that I didn't even think of.

Also it's not just a single exclusive that wills way people. If Sony continues down the path of accumulating a larger and larger catalog of "firsts", it may sway buyers.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
They always pursue the market leader. Since time immemorial. Or at least since they started releasing DLC for these games. Hell, Call of Duty 3's map packs weren't available at all on PlayStation.

One week is at least better than how things were before, with month long delays and whatnot.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what's the point of this late in the gen tbh? just to make sure they stay with them next gen?

I agree that it seems weird to do now but I'm guessing this is probably the tail end of a multi-year deal signed a long time ago.

Edit: just saw that the previous deal expired so this would be a brand new contract. Probably getting set up for next gen. Being the go-to for 3rd parties in the early years of a console when first party stuff is light is huge.

Jun 10, 2018
I'm not sure why they would do this since they said they didn't want to fragment the community. If there is cross-play between PS4, Xbox One, and PC then every time new content comes out the community will be fragmented for a week. Just doesn't make sense to me.

TRU

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
From an informed consumer perspective yeah it's kinda lame but it'll likely be fairly transparent. For that one week Xbox users simply won't get matchmaked with anyone on ps4. With the active daily playerbase on these games often numbering in the hundreds of thousands your average user won't even notice.

But it kinda does matter when you cannot play with your friends for 30-35% of the year. If you are playing with a friend on PS4 who doesn't own an xbox and cannot play with that person because they are playing Gun Game and you don't have Gun Game mode it is an issue. Then two weeks later a new map comes out and you cannot play with your friend because the map pack list is incompatible.

Based off the above statements I am just saying we need to put the brakes on the applause we are giving COD for crossplay when it simply won't work for a significant portion of the 12 month cycle it has.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's better than a month at least. Don't remember if people used to complain about it this much last gen when it was reversed tho 🤷‍♂️

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
But it kinda does matter when you cannot play with your friends for 30-35% of the year. If you are playing with a friend on PS4 who doesn't own an xbox and cannot play with that person because they are playing Gun Game and you don't have Gun Game mode it is an issue. Then two weeks later a new map comes out and you cannot play with your friend because the map pack list is incompatible.

Based off the above statements I am just saying we need to put the brakes on the applause we are giving COD for crossplay when it simply won't work for a significant portion of the 12 month cycle it has.

i didnt think it all the way through. they could do the matching based on whose in your parties and have different pools. if you have an xbox player in your party you go into one pool where it only has available xbox maps in rotation. you'll still be able to play with your friends, just not on the locked maps. there are smart people who work on these games so im sure they've thought out the scenarios.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
A week isn't too bad, at least.

Still a slight annoyance that this is still a practice.

But it's the reality of the industry

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018

Why would you not be able to play crossplay because of a week's difference? You could still play, just not the newer content. Just like if I played with friends who don't have the dlc maps on PS4 now, we'd just play the main game content.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aside from the Tomb Raider debacle, it's to Phil Spencer's great credit that he has stopped MS from doing these type of deals.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that Sony still feels the need to do so. They will cruise to a huge lead next gen with or without such deals. Someone over there needs to work on PR for them.

At least it looks like they're changing when it comes to crossplay.

Oct 25, 2017

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
This has been the case since the gen started. Didnt really see it changing despite some rumors
This. They probably made the deal for the entire gen with Sony, just like it lasted the whole last gen with MS.

Also access to bundling and SE branded consoles still seems to be a big deal for holidays.
Yeah. There's no way Sony won't want those kinds of bundles again for PS5 so obviously we'll see more deals (probably from both) again next gen, just like this gen.

OP
OP
poklane

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Why Activision and Sony are still doing this shit.
For Activision? Money. We obviously don't know the terms of the deal, but I would assume Sony pays a pretty penny for this and the inclusion of the game in Sony's holiday ads is also a nice bonus for Activision.
For Sony? Console sales. Just being able to show Call of Duty games in ads for your console is huge, especially with next-gen consoles coming up next year.

It fucking sucks, but I can see why they do it.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
For Activision? Money. We obviously don't know the terms of the deal, but I would assume Sony pays a pretty penny for this and the inclusion of the game in Sony's holiday ads is also a nice bonus for Activision.
For Sony? Console sales. Just being able to show Call of Duty games in ads for your console is huge, especially with next-gen consoles coming up next year.

It fucking sucks, but I can see why they do it.
It was rhetorical but it is still annoying that Activision treats buyers as if they were second. They pay the same on Xbox as on PS4.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Aside from the Tomb Raider debacle, it's to Phil Spencer's great credit that he has stopped MS from doing these type of deals.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that Sony still feels the need to do so. They will cruise to a huge lead next gen with or without such deals. Someone over there needs to work on PR for them.

At least it looks like they're changing when it comes to crossplay.
The only reason Phil spencer isn't doing it is because major games aren't going to do this for the console with 50 million less potential buyers. If this was some sort of act of kindness from Microsoft we wouldn't be hearing "console launch exclusive" numerous times in about 10 days.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only reason Phil spencer isn't doing it is because major games aren't going to do this for the console with 50 million less potential buyers. If this was some sort of act of kindness from Microsoft we wouldn't be hearing "console launch exclusive" numerous times in about 10 days.
I might be being a tad naive, but I've heard him on record say he wouldn't do these deals even if they were market leader and I believe him.

I agree about the ''console launch exclusive" shit though. I'm so over hearing about that.

TRU

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Why would you not be able to play crossplay because of a week's difference? You could still play, just not the newer content. Just like if I played with friends who don't have the dlc maps on PS4 now, we'd just play the main game content.

100% they would just shut off all DLC Maps/Skins/Camos/Guns/Game Modes for PS4 players when paired with Xbox I don't doubt that at all. Then it becomes whats the point of PS4 first DLC if its shut off? Shows what an assinine move this really is other than to Activision share holders.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
100% they would just shut off all DLC Maps/Skins/Camos/Guns/Game Modes for PS4 players when paired with Xbox I don't doubt that at all. Then it becomes whats the point of PS4 first DLC if its shut off? Shows what an assinine move this really is other than to Activision share holders.

I really don't see it as a massive issue. The percentage of cross play that will go on where that happens will be tiny in comparison to how many play.

If you're a PS4 player who has a mate on Xbox, then if you want to play with them, during that first week, when you do, you'll not have the new content in rotation, same as what already happens with season pass stuff. No biggie when you can still play the regular content with them.

Crossplay and no season pass, something we should be all happy about.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deals like these make me play the game less rather than more. Look at BO4's Alcatraz mode: when it was dropped, I was ready to jump in and play it, but then I realized my platform gets it a week later. By the time it arrived where I play I was busy with other games and the reception of Alcatraz wasn't even that hot, so I ended up not playing that mode at all. They lost playtime by me with that shit. I expect this game to have the same effect on me tbh. But I'll probably play it, been there for nearly all CODs so...