• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina
I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is the HLVR rumored game disguised as another game with the code name "Boneworks".

The mechanical "headcrab" that tries to attack you, crowbar, innovative uses of the "knuckles" controllers, test chamber.
There's a definitive Half Life vibe going on there.

Also, Valve tried to hire contractors in the past to develop follow-ups for the Half Life episodes.

It definitely feels like a system seller for the Valve Index headset.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not just killer App. Killer engine. Did we find out if Valve acquired Boneworks?

ArF1vXr.jpg

I think Valve just understands their utlitizing the knuckles and vr in a way a lot of developers aren't.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
ArF1vXr.jpg

I think Valve just understands their utlitizing the knuckles and vr in a way a lot of developers aren't.

Considering In the Valley of the Gods is still listed as Campo Santo game, pointing to the developer/publisher listing on the store page doesn't necessarily mean anything if they need to be coy. Boneworks was added to the Valve employee sub back in December and was removed only after people noticed as much and started asking questions, so it does seem like something happened that nobody is talking about just yet.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Their tech and interaction looks perfect for a Half-Life title. I expect Boneworks itself to merely be a series of challenge rooms with lots of gadgets but with these physics I'm happy with that.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Super pumped for this and love the tinfoil hat Half-Life ideas (that honestly seem as plausible as anything else HL related at this point).

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Considering In the Valley of the Gods is still listed as Campo Santo game, pointing to the developer/publisher listing on the store page doesn't necessarily mean anything if they need to be coy. Boneworks was added to the Valve employee sub back in December and was removed only after people noticed as much and started asking questions, so it does seem like something happened that nobody is talking about just yet.

And Boneworks is appid 823500 and their are Valve listings for three above that. I just think it's more along the lines of them supporting it and helping them out with tech rather then a full on purchase. Valve has paid developers to not have their game exclusive to a VR headset. They care more about the tech overall then anything else.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that a Vive he's playing with, not Index?

Correct, but they're using the Index controllers ("Knuckles").

Echoing other posters wishes in here that this engine gets licensed out to other devs. I'm pretty sure it will, one of the previous videos they did Brandon mentioned something along the lines of spending a couple years developing these insanely fine tuned physics interactions for VR so other devs wouldn't have to. If that isn't a sign for future licensing I dunno what would be.

edit: My bad disregard above part Brandon didn't say that re: licensing. After rewatching the vid saw it was something related to iphone facial capture they used :/

Speaking of if any of you missed the last NODE Boneworks video be sure to check it out below, lots of general physics interactions used beyond just the VR hmd crabs :p

These Boneworks vids make me almost as giddy as the first Source/HL2 demo video did. So many possible interactions going on here. Hurry up and get here already June.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Two handing melee weapons in VR has typically been total ass for me. Hopefully they can improve upon it.
Gunplay was practically already mastered with games like Pavlov and H3VR.

Oct 27, 2017
You're standard controller can't do what the valve index does but then again I don't think sony has any aspirations to make VR games this complex.

Yeah I know that. I'm just saying I'm lazy and especially with long play sessions don't like moving my arms around. I've been using VR headsets since the Oculus DK1. I enjoy using motion controllers like the Vive controllers etc but for long gameplay sessions I prefer a dualshock.

I don't mind trading off immersion and interactivity sometimes for comfort.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
They'll be sold separately.
The new hardware from Valve will use SteamVR tracking 2.0 sensors - which are backwards compatible with the Lighthouse 1.0 base stations current Vive owners have. So you just need to buy the Index controllers and you're set.

(Keep in mind though that the Lighthouse 2.0 base stations are not backward compatible with 1.0 sensors - though it is unlikely that someone would buy anything that way around)
I haven't been following the VR scene too much. Just played around with the Vive & Rift at my school these past few days. Thought of picking up the Vive but it sounds like Valve is gonna release a new version soon? Are there any rumors or estimate on when they'll reveal it? Will hold out on buying for the new version if they come with those knuckle controllers.

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
I haven't been following the VR scene too much. Just played around with the Vive & Rift at my school these past few days. Thought of picking up the Vive but it sounds like Valve is gonna release a new version soon? Are there any rumors or estimate on when they'll reveal it? Will hold out on buying for the new version if they come with those knuckle controllers.

They are revealing it on May 1st with preorders shipping sometime in June. This game will work with all of the headsets/controllers though.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Indirect sources state that Valve is opening preorder for Valve Index with more information on May 1st, and its kind of an open secret that it will come with knuckle controllers. Wait for that and see what happen

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
This title is so incredibly fascinating to me because it goes really hard against some of the VR design philosophies I saw in the first two years. The biggest one being that it seems with everything being a physical object, your hands may not perfectly mirror the in game avatar's hands, owing to them interacting with objects in a physically consistent way. And yet, by the looks of those playing these disconnects between real and virtual hand positions doesn't seem to be causing any confusion. If the brain is okay with things being a little "looser" than we anticipated, I think that's fantastic and will help make interaction more believable and full of possibilities.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
My dream is to have access to the source code for this, would serve as a phenomenal VR developer demo, containing examples of all the interactions you can do in VR.

Cause some of this stuff appears super simple but actually implementing it can be a pain.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
Dear God... When he grabbed the crab my mind was blown. And when he headbutted it, it was blown again. What a beautiful leap this game is making

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
We wanna make sure there's no wrong answer...

As games have gotten more art heavy and more scripted... You watch everybody's gameplay and everyone looks the same.

Completely agree with him here and his design philosophy for VR games. Godspeed to them.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This(and their earlier video) is literally the only VR -anything- that has impressed or interested me. I don't mean that to be faint praise. To me this is making VR into an actual product I would one day want to buy, whereas before I had less than zero interest. My main complaint was that VR so far was always about immersion and almost zero about providing interesting new ways of playing. The gun stuff doesn't interest me. The melee, spear, physics, crowbar is where the game shines. THis is absolutely akin to the way the gravity gun in HL2 felt like a leap in interaction.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I'm completely convinced this is a stealth tie in to Half-Life and will be revealed as such with a name change just before release.

It too perfectly represents what a VR Half-Life game would need to be. The headcrab HMD's are a nice touch, too.

Waiting for the announcement that Stress Level Zero has been acquired by Valve.

Last edited:

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
This(and their earlier video) is literally the only VR -anything- that has impressed or interested me. I don't mean that to be faint praise. To me this is making VR into an actual product I would one day want to buy, whereas before I had less than zero interest. My main complaint was that VR so far was always about immersion and almost zero about providing interesting new ways of playing. The gun stuff doesn't interest me. The melee, spear, physics, crowbar is where the game shines. THis is absolutely akin to the way the gravity gun in HL2 felt like a leap in interaction.

We have stuff like that with games like Blade & Sorcery though.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm completely convinced this is a stealth tie in to Half-Life and will be revealed as such with a name change just before release.

It too perfectly represents what a VR Half-Life game would need to be. The headcrab HMD's are a nice touch, too.

As happy as I would be for them, it would be such a loss to lose Brandon on Node/CC.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018

I don't think they will be aquired by Valve, but I too think this is secretly either a half life title or a tie in.

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely

Would just open VR in general. We need a foundation engine that works well. So people can focus on the story, experience and content.

Yes, it seems so many game devs have to develop the wheel individually, letting them little time to actually develop the real game, which is why in the end lots of games feel likes VR demos.
They need a VR engine with animation system, IK, physics, destruction systems, and a base for melee/firearms combat, etc already implemented.

Hell, in fact it's the same in this game. They are going to for 'VR inside VR' plot to excuse them to have real scenarios rendered and allow themselves to have wireframes in the background, and I hope they have more than one enemy in the game.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking tie in at best. No way they'd make orange box 2 VR only. They'd get hammered for it.

Regarding locomotion, I'm pretty sure I read or heard that there will be teleport options.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So that's a wireless Vive headset, right? What are the controllers? Look so much easier to use than the Steam VR controllers.

Edit: oh, it's the Steam Index controllers. Holy shit they look amazing.

Funny enough the smg that was used in the beginning reminds me of the cut MP5K from the HL2 beta.

That's correct, they're MP5K's - they spawn more at 12:26.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it seems so many game devs have to develop the wheel individually, letting them little time to actually develop the real game, which is why in the end lots of games feel likes VR demos.
They need a VR engine with animation system, IK, physics, destruction systems, and a base for melee/firearms combat, etc already implemented.

Hell, in fact it's the same in this game. They are going to for 'VR inside VR' plot to excuse them to have real scenarios rendered and allow themselves to have wireframes in the background, and I hope they have more than one enemy in the game.

Towards the end of the video he mentions there's humanoid enemies further on in the game :)

How is he walking forward? Joystick on the controllers?

Looks like it...

30101-original.jpg

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

They said (near the end of this video) that there will be humanoid enemies

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
I think I have enough USB ports for this.

Is there any point to getting into VR if my PC gaming space is less than 3' x 3' and I'm just sitting down?

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
I think I have enough USB ports for this.

Is there any point to getting into VR if my PC gaming space is less than 3' x 3' and I'm just sitting down?

Lighthouse systems need only a single USB 2.0 to operate for the headset. Index's leaked specs indicated a 3.0 was recommended, probably for the camera feeds for AR type stuff, but yeah, base spec is a single 2.0.

You may be thinking of outside-in solutions like the original Rift or PSVR where a lot of sensors are necessary, but with Lighthouse it's inside out with the sensors all in the controllers and headset. The lighthouse base stations just spit IR light into your room and require only power.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Man, this shit is getting closer and closer to a Star Trek holodeck experience. It looks absolutely mindblowing.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, that was cool as fuck. If those enemies were flesh based rather than robotic, maybe... like head crabs, it would be perfect.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
There will be other enemy types. Hope they add Hover Junker weapons into the game as well. Want to use that Triple barreled shotgun
latest