• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017

13 minute video, shown off with Index controllers again. Reminder the game comes out December 10th

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
They also announced pricing
$30 for the game
$40 for "deluxe edition" which includes the soundtrack.

cheaper than I expected tbh.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
The part here where he uses a chair to reach up onto a ledge, finds himself just barely out of reach of an ammo crate, and then takes out his weapon to nudge it off is some good shit.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Can't wait for this and Half Life. Really tempted to sell my Rift S and go for the Index.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Excited to give this a go.
Though, between Alyx and this, those specs are making my i5-8300 laptop CPU kind of scared.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
The physics look amazing but I'm tired of the stock assets look that many of these VR games have.

OP
OP
jediyoshi

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
The physics look amazing but I'm tired of the stock assets look that many of these VR games have.
It's deliberately meant to look like a bare simulation as part of the story that evolves over its course, if you check their past VR games, they were very stylized.

ss_5249920ef928bdcf40453afc66aa0fb021f9c5a0.jpg

ss_ee200ad135ae23956ab2236a44afe4c7af7222a8.jpg

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Cool. But I hope story mode is really good and focused on, you know, story. Because without a proper campaing it's just another sandbox VR game, although with amazing gunplay and physics probably.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I want to see if Half Life Alyx has this level of interactivity where you can stuff enemies into lockers but they're too p h a t

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cool. But I hope story mode is really good and focused on, you know, story. Because without a proper campaing it's just another sandbox VR game, although with amazing gunplay and physics probably.

We haven't had this type of sandbox before, though. It'd be great to have a good narrative driving force but I'm mostly looking forward to just messing around in the world.

OP
OP
jediyoshi

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
It looks cool, but people have hyped this up so much (especially pre-HLA reveal) that I worry this is another Budget Cuts.
The Budget Cuts hype problem was the years that passed between its demo and release, it wouldn't have had the same bad taste if it had came out in a more timely manner. There's no 'unseen' problem here for a game we know that's coming out in a few weeks.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
We haven't had this type of sandbox before, though. It'd be great to have a good narrative driving force but I'm mostly looking forward to just messing around in the world.

Sure. I'm hyped myself, especially given the fact im buying a VR next week.

I just hope they consider hiring a writer (if they don't have one) and creating something more story-focused, because with their dev skills that could be something cool and would attract potentially more gamers to VR. I've noticed mainstream gamers are not really that impressed with such sandboxes when they see them on YouTube.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The most hilarious thing was D just stuffing a zombie into one of the lockers in an entirely organic manner rather than it being a dedicated mechanic.

The kickflip reloading, the creativity when it comes to getting a box off the top shelf, stuffing a dude into the locker... That's the sort of thing you simply don't get outside of VR, and they're all an organically doable as part of the physics system without any extra mechanical programming.

Dec 23, 2017
I'm very excited for this, looks good.

Brandon and his friends have been playing VR games for awhile, so I'm sure they have a list of things they want to see and do.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, imagine how this and other VR games progress over the next 5 years or so. Shit's going to be WILD!

Oct 26, 2017
In a traditional game that flip reload would be a dedicated button and you would do it every single time to be super badass. In this game you will think of it, pull it off and be amazed that it actually worked.

Jan 15, 2018
It's seeming like it's time to buy a headset. I thought I could wait a couple more years, but this and Alyx have proven that to be false.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In a traditional game that flip reload would be a dedicated button and you would do it every single time to be super badass. In this game you will think of it, pull it off and be amazed that it actually worked.

You can probably play the entire game using just that magazine/clip as a weapon/throwable/distraction device - the level of agency will be pretty fantastic.

Are these people just making tech demos?

What do you mean

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Damn, this looks amazing.

Does anyone know how much this would benefit from the Index controllers vs the Oculus Touch? I own a Quest with Link, as well as a first gen Vive. Wondering if it's worth purchasing the Index controllers for the vive, or just stick with my Quest/Link and Touch for this one.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
That's the kind of VR experience that makes me want to spend a bunch of money. Very cool! I wish this sort of interactivity was the norm already! :D

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I know. I just hope it's really good and focused on telling a story :)

I love a good story in games (Disco Elysium is in my top two games of the year for that reason), but I don't think its necessary for everything, particularly action oriented games. The appeal of Boneworks IS the physics system and the possibilities therein, and it isn't like its just a wave shooter or Garry's Mod like sandbox either (though there is that lovely fuck around mode shown in the video). If you watched the video you can clearly tell from what Brandon said that it has a story relating to going into a simulation "for the last time", and in prior videos he's discussed how those mechanical headcrab things try to latch themselves onto you to further nest you in deeper layers of the simulation kinda like Inception.

These guys are really talented but I think its somewhat unrealistic to expect them to have the resources to hire a dedicated writer like Valve has with Laidlaw and company. That's a privilege most studios don't have, you typically need to be interdisciplinary wrt coding skills and do other things on the project. It wouldn't surprise me if the general plot was crafted collaboratively amongst the team which is perfectly fine.

I'd love an amazing narrative as a bonus for Boneworks but moreso be pleasantly surprised if it's that involved beyond some environmental storytelling and light set pieces. Their previous game Duck Hunt had some great use of that and was one of the creepier things I've played in VR. It uh, goes places you wouldn't expect a Duck Hunt tribute to go to that's all I'll say :P