• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Wow, those are both really cool additions.

I'm not sure I'll bother with classic mode since Curse of the Moon is a thing, but a new area to explore sounds great.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Classic Mode looks neat. Probably won't be Curse of the Moon 1/2 tier or anything, but it looks enjoyable enough.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good!

I have been wanting to replay this game for a while now. I will be sure to check this out.

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
My heart skipped a beat and thought it said bloodborne!

This is a nice update! Might actually give this game a go!

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Up to stage 3 in Classic Mode, and I will say, if you were very fond of the original Castlevania, this mode seems to be most inspired by that game. Enemy placement and references have me grinning.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
krabs_rag3do.jpg

-stained gets an update

0D39815F06698321A4377A4F12A185E5AC521E61

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
Really hope they have that Child of Light update. Seems like forever ago that it was teased, and I'd love to see it!

But very cool that Bloodstained keeps up the great content.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Up to stage 3 in Classic Mode, and I will say, if you were very fond of the original Castlevania, this mode seems to be most inspired by that game. Enemy placement and references have me grinning.
Is it like new linear castlevania like stages or are ju just playing the normal game but with restrictions?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Whoa that looks very neat! Can't wait to get Bloodstained back into my rotation after the nice Zangetsu mode!

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Update looks ok but the game failed to capture the magic of SotN so might not even bother.

Fizz

Jul 15, 2019
Ontario, Canada
How has Switch performance been as of these last few updates/patches? I'm thinking that now is the time to pull the trigger and jump in on a game that had a rough release.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
If you all haven't played as Bloodless yet, you should really give it a shot as long as you're firing the game back up. I liked it way more than Zangetsu's mode.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Wow they basically made another game and have it out for free. Amazing support.

Now onto the sequel please.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Classic Mode, I really liked it. If Curse of the Moon 1 was inspired by Dracula's Curse, and Curse of the Moon 2 was more inspired by Konami Wai Wai World, this is absolutely inspired by the original Castlevania.

I liked the ending sequence too, very Super Castlevania IV.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Classic Mode is really cool! And it's a free update too. Great references throughout for those familiar with the classics.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
One of my favorite games. I boot it up from time to time, despite 100%-ing everything, and it's such a wonderful spiritual successor to Symphony of the Night and Aria of Sorrow for me. I wish Konami would get off their asses and do a 16-bit Collection featuring the GBA and remastered DS games. But, you know, it's Konami. 🙄🙄

I may play Classic mode for a minute just to check it out, but I love Randomizer mode so much. It really does make the game feel fun and fresh when you don't know what you're going to get. In one of my randomizer runs, I ended up getting Invert super early, and it was kind of hilarious how much it disrupted things lol

Nov 13, 2017
I feel this

I had never started and not completed a game before this

It's genuinely one of the worst games I've ever played. I don't use these words lightly.

What'd you play it on? I know the Switch version was pretty awful, at least at the start. Not sure if it got updated enough to become good.

Played through all of Classic Mode and it's wonderful. 5 or 6 (depending on how you look at it) solid Castlevania-esque levels. All enemies and bosses are taken out of the original Bloodstained RotN game, as are the environments. Final boss took me a while, but it was thoroughly enjoable.

The Kingdom: Two Crowns crossover is really nothing, I'm afraid. You buy the Crown of Creation for 1G from the shop, ride the train, equip the crown, exit the train, and then you're in the Dead Lands. Consists of 2 horse enemies and a boss that I'm assuming is from Kingdom, named Breeder. Kill it and you get the Archer Familiar. You can keep killing the boss to get more archer shards, but that's honestly it.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
What'd you play it on? I know the Switch version was pretty awful, at least at the start. Not sure if it got updated enough to become good.

Played through all of Classic Mode and it's wonderful. 5 or 6 (depending on how you look at it) solid Castlevania-esque levels. All enemies and bosses are taken out of the original Bloodstained RotN game, as are the environments. Final boss took me a while, but it was thoroughly enjoable.

The Kingdom: Two Crowns crossover is really nothing, I'm afraid. You buy the Crown of Creation for 1G from the shop, ride the train, equip the crown, exit the train, and then you're in the Dead Lands. Consists of 2 horse enemies and a boss that I'm assuming is from Kingdom, named Breeder. Kill it and you get the Archer Familiar. You can keep killing the boss to get more archer shards, but that's honestly it.
I'll bite, don't want to seem like a drive by post

It wants to be Castlevania but has none of the appeal. The layout, weapons, combat, scaling, "story" design, it's all very mashed together, try hard, no substance

Most of the bosses were just stupid and jammy, barely any tactic, just a slot. The shop, upgrade, weapons, side quests, were all poorly designed.

Then I got to literally the final boss and thought "fuck this" and it was my 1st retired game. Now I stop earlier and have no FOMO.

Nov 13, 2017

It wants to be Castlevania but has none of the appeal. The layout, weapons, combat, scaling, "story" design, it's all very mashed together, try hard, no substance

Most of the bosses were just stupid and jammy, barely any tactic, just a slot. The shop, upgrade, weapons, side quests, were all poorly designed.

Then I got to literally the final boss and thought "fuck this" and it was my 1st retired game. Now I stop earlier and have no FOMO.

Fair enough. I didn't think the story was anything to write home about, but I liked the environments. It's definitely a little jarring to go from a water cavern into a desert, but there was a rumor the game was supposed to take place across different regions, but that was scrapped partway into development and so areas got patchworked together. Definitely doesn't have the same castle cohesion as SotN, that's for sure.

Oct 31, 2017
Finished it on 1X not too long ago.

Ugly game most of the time (2.5D here looks very cheap) but it does have good gameplay and that's why I spent 20+ hours on it! :D

If there's a sequel, they should stop with those few terrible cutscenes + dialogues with fixed models. Very bad presentation as far as I'm concerned.

Also, please hire some new blood for chara designs as those look terrible as well.

Last edited:

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Do you have to beat the game again for this?
Reason I didn't play the first update.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

While I mostly enjoyed the game, I can understand some of your complaints as tbh the aesthetic, atmosphere and overall art design were mostly off putting to me. It did not feel like it meshed together well at all or was at all cohesive, so I probably agree from that standpoint. I just fired up SOTN for a replay like last week and man, that game still holds up so well from that regard. Bloodstaind feels like a huge miss to me in terms of carrying over that aspect of the old games.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Just to offer a competing opinion, I loved Bloodstained (Both the main metroidvania game and Curse action spin-offs). I felt the game looked quite lovely at 4K60 and HDR. I'm a huge CV fan from the very beginning. Yes, it's not perfect but no modern game is going to be able to beat SOTN. To me, this was just as good as the GBA/DS Castlevanias. Even better than some of them. As far as the areas not flowing well into each other, this is nothing new for the series, at least the DS-era ones. The castle is pulled from the pits of hell after all. But mostly I guess I don't give a shit as long as I'm having fun exploring and the areas look cool. I know some people hate the Kickstarter portrait enemies but it doesn't bother me that bad and since the game might not exist without them then I'm cool with it.

One thing I'd like to mention, not specifically directing this at anyone here: I understand not liking a game or feeling it's worse than those that inspired it but I notice that with a lot of Bloodstained detractors there is this element of disdain or annoyance involved. Like not only is the game disappointing to them but it hurt them in some way to the point where they kind of hate it, and expend energy going out of their way to tell others. This happens with other games too but I just don't see what's so bad with this game to elicit that kind of response. Different strokes for different folks. But I think dissuading metroidvania fans from trying this game does a huge disservice to them.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Played through the first level. It's pretty fun but it's difficult to estimate the distances between platforms that aren't of the same height. I fell to my death twice because of this so far.

I get not liking a game but calling Bloodstained the worst game you've ever played is something all right.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Reinstalling now (did a fresh install of Windows 10 from Windows 7 a while back). Still a few optional bosses I haven't beaten in the main game.