• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, Battlefield is coming to Game Pass Day 1? Or is that part of his "theory"?
Rumor is, if its multiplayer only and current gen only, GamePass would be great for EA because they would get an 8 figure check from Microsoft and a larger userbase day 1, which they can drive w/e MTX they have planned, reducing the blow the lack of old gen versions would cause.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
I dont believe that EA is just gonna hand over the massive install base of PS4/XBone to Call of Duty.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was already confirmed? At least I remember reading that. As long as they have cross play, I think the player base should be okay.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine playtesting mulitple versions is a nightmare in the current situation.

Make sense to focus on next gen only and polish as much as possible.

By fall, the player base would be much bigger than what it is today.
I could see them focusing on PS5/Series/PC, releasing those first and a (cutback) last gen version later, a lá Shadow of Mordor (with obviously better performance) but not outright ignoring last gen.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Good.

Let the old gen die in grace. There's no need to bring wonky, bad running games to the old consoles.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, sure I read this too ages ago like an EA financial investor call or something.

Believe it was around the time they said they were stopping any future content drops for Battlefield V to focus on the next Battlefield. They had mentioned that they were going to focus on the next-generation systems at the time.

Of course, plans can always change in that amount of time, but I remember that it was on their side talking about focusing on the next-generation of consoles.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
I dont believe that EA is just gonna hand over the massive install base of PS4/XBone to Call of Duty.

This.

Even with BF4 they launched on the then old gen (PS3/360) with 24 players/30 fps, lower res etc.

Might be a very stripped down version of what the current gen consoles get, but I don't think they'll skip last gen. Especially with the shortages. Until heard from EA I don't believe this for a second.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
My bet is it will come to old-gen but it will be a separate version. PS4/X1 probably can't handle their biggest modes, so just make separate versions.

Battlefield 3 came out on PS4 and X1 but also on PS3/360 - the latter was a separate version, no crossplay, smaller player count.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Good. Abandon the old gen as much as possible.

As a PS5 and XSX owner, I'll personally be happy to see a pure next-gen experience if that was the case, but I'm certainly not gonna gleefully hope they leave those millions of people behind during a pandemic and global chip shortage affecting supply.

Raiku

Oct 25, 2017
California, USHeyHey!
giphy.gif

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
As a PS5 and XSX owner, I'll personally be happy to see a pure next-gen experience if that was the case, but I'm certainly not gonna gleefully hope they leave those millions of people behind during a pandemic and global chip shortage affecting supply.
I don't think it's coming out this year

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Does anyone know the source of this or what was said to imply this? Not saying it was hinted at but I'm just wondering where it is.

It was implied by the vernacular that EA execs used in recent earnings calls/reports:

www.tweaktown.com

Battlefield 6 may be next-gen exclusive on PlayStation 5, Xbox SX

DICE will make its next-gen splash with a huge new Battlefield game, and it might not release on current-gen systems.

Andrew Wilson, Oct 2019: "[We are] Targeting new innovation that will be enabled by next-gen platforms and a growing install base on the new consoles."

"Battlefield is known for being the cutting edge, bleeding edge in digital fidelity and gameplay and multiplayer, and launching into next-gen platforms was going to offer tremendous possibilities of innovation. Launching battlefield in FY2022 is a strong move for us, it offers us stronger room for growth,"

Blake Jorgensen, January 2020: "You should assume the power of those consoles is much more than existing consoles. We can do a lot more. You will start to see things over the next couple of years that will blow people's minds."

"The power will be substantially greater than existing consoles, and it'll be exciting to see how new games will evolve using that power. The team at DICE will do some really amazing things."

Wilson, Q3 2020 earnings call: "New consoles are coming and we'll be ready to lead with some of our top titles. We have really strong traction on the next Battlefield game and I'm really excited about it."

Last edited:

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
This would be great news but I won't believe it until I see it.

Oct 25, 2017
It was implied by the vernacular that EA execs used in recent earnings calls/reports:

www.tweaktown.com

Battlefield 6 may be next-gen exclusive on PlayStation 5, Xbox SX

DICE will make its next-gen splash with a huge new Battlefield game, and it might not release on current-gen systems.

Andrew Wilson, Oct 2019: "[We are] Targeting new innovation that will be enabled by next-gen platforms and a growing install base on the new consoles."

"Battlefield is known for being the cutting edge, bleeding edge in digital fidelity and gameplay and multiplayer, and launching into next-gen platforms was going to offer tremendous possibilities of innovation. Launching battlefield in FY2022 is a strong move for us, it offers us stronger room for growth,"

Blake Jorgensen, January 2020: "You should assume the power of those consoles is much more than existing consoles. We can do a lot more. You will start to see things over the next couple of years that will blow people's minds."

"The power will be substantially greater than existing consoles, and it'll be exciting to see how new games will evolve using that power. The team at DICE will do some really amazing things."

Wilson, Q3 2020 earnings call: "New consoles are coming and we'll be ready to lead with some of our top titles. We have really strong traction on the next Battlefield game and I'm really excited about it."

Unfortunately this seems more like hinting future projects will be able to push power with newer technology, which is more Tech talk that we get at the start of the new generation. I don't see how this will not have BF6 on previous gen console just that there will be a lot of technology innovations on the newer consoles which we have been getting anyways in cross gen games.

niaobx

Aug 3, 2020

It's a videogame. Pretty sure that millions of people can get through life just fine without it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I can't imagine they leave that much money on the table. If BF6 is next-gen only there's likely to be a HD port of an older title for last-gen or something. Even with how well the systems are selling, there aren't enough out there for a series of this size, unless they're really banking on PC picking up the slack.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
It would be weird, but it's probably gonna happen. Battlefield V didn't ran very well on the base machines (well, it didn't on PC either to be fair)

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine they leave that much money on the table. If BF6 is next-gen only there's likely to be a HD port of an older title for last-gen or something. Even with how well the systems are selling, there aren't enough out there for a series of this size, unless they're really banking on PC picking up the slack.
I find it hard to believe they would leave that much money on the table myself also.

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't DICE LA working on a Battlefield game?

They could be making a seperate Battlefield game (I think there's speciation they're doing a f2p Battle Royale) that will be on last-gen consoles

I would be surprised if Battlefield 6 doesn't get a port, though. They're going to want to be where Call of Duty is and there's no way COD will be next-gen only.
They are doing the free to play mode that is presumably a BR

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will Halo Infinite and BF6 be the first usage of xCloud streaming to old gen consoles turning them into ideal streaming boxes for next gen content fulfilling the plan of making next gen games available to all prior gen consoles as long as they are GPU subscribers which comes with free xCloud access?

The world wonders....

ElCidTmax

Oct 28, 2017
Do we know if the next Battlefield will have cross-platform play? Could help ensure enough of a player pool.

Chippewa Barr