• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
All these, 'you should have seen it by now' replies. Wtf, movie is barely 2 weeks out, if you have a job and an active social life, it's not that unlikely it will take some time to geat all your friends together to go out and watch it. Glad i was able to catch in last minute on the 28th, otherwise I wouldn't have the time to watch it yet.

I agree 2 weeks is nothing.. but why do you need to get all your friends together to watch a movie? If you're desperate to watch a film.. just go.

May 10, 2018
Because sharing the experience with my friends is half the fun for me.
I suspect that's were me and a lot of people differ. I work a full time job although I'm fortunate enough that I don't have to work weekends.

If a movie is out that I really want to see I'm not waiting on anyone else and I'll definitely go see it by myself.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I suspect that's were me and a lot of people differ. I work a full time job although I'm fortunate enough that I don't have to work weekends.

If a movie is out that I really want to see I'm not waiting on anyone else and I'll definitely go see it by myself.
You're going to sit in the dark for 3 hours, not exactly a social experience.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham

Yeah, I know a fair few fans of the franchise who still haven't had chance to watch it yet, due to other commitments - kids, holidays, work etc, especially when those factors combine.

I've literally had one chance to see the movie since it came out, due to moving cities, setting up a new house with my wife, important family visits and work - carving out over three hours (not even factoring in travel to get to a cinema) was not easy, despite all my best efforts.

And my problem is, I work in both comic book and entertainment industries, and online. Had I not seen the movie already in that one chance I had, there would have been ZERO chance of me not getting spoiled by now (not even my timeline and Google filters have been able to catch everything).

I know I'm a rare example, given my work circumstances, but regardless of that, I've been a comics reader and Marvel fan for over 34 years. Having some of those big moments even hinted at, let alone flat out shown, would have annoyed me to no end. It's definitely not just the casuals who may not have had chance to see it yet in its 2 weeks of showing.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I know a fair few fans of the franchise who still haven't had chance to watch it yet, due to other commitments - kids, holidays, work etc, especially when those factors combine.

I've literally had one chance to see the movie since it came out, due to moving cities, setting up a new house with my wife, important family visits and work - carving out over three hours (not even factoring in travel to get to a cinema) was not easy, despite all my best efforts.

And my problem is, I work in both comic book and entertainment industries, and online. Had I not seen the movie already in that one chance I had, there would have been ZERO chance of me not getting spoiled by now (not even my timeline and Google filters have been able to catch everything).

I know I'm a rare example, given my work circumstances, but regardless of that, I've been a comics reader and Marvel fan for over 34 years. Having some of those big moments even hinted at, let alone flat out shown, would have annoyed me to no end. It's definitely not just the casuals who may not have had chance to see it yet in its 2 weeks of showing.

Pretty much. I'm "lucky" enough to have fewer responsibilities, but soon as you throw a busy job + kids in the mix, it can be damn hard to put 3+ hours aside. A friend of mine doesn't even have kids, just a long winded job, so he's yet to see it.

I don't think it's about revolving around these people but more, there are simply other things in life that outweigh a movie (job, kids, family), and with auto-playing ads on insta and elsewhere, it's not really thoughtful of Marvel to put so many hype moments in this spot. But with the fast paced world we live in now 2 weeks may as well be 2 years, maybe.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
I don't think it's about revolving around these people but more, there are simply other things in life that outweigh a movie (job, kids, family), and with auto-playing ads on insta and elsewhere, it's not really thoughtful of Marvel to put so many hype moments in this spot. But with the fast paced world we live in now 2 weeks may as well be 2 years, maybe.

I think that's the key, and you're totally right - no one expects Disney/Marvel to factor in everyone's circumstances, especially in today's high impact consumer-centric society. But yeah, it's the difficulty of avoiding some of these ads so early on, which is the issue.

My friend is a teacher with two kids, but like me is a massive Marvel nut... so short of getting a babysitter or watching potato-cam, his window to see any movie, let alone a three hour one, is even slimmer than mine as he can't take time off, and he gets home later than his kids, so he has to sort out dinner and put them to bed when he does. Weekends are quality time days, and the kids are too young to watch the film. So all it takes is him watching an episode of Smackdown on TV one night after putting the kids to bed, to get spoiled by one of those new ads.

Conversely, my wife really wants to see it, hasn't had time yet due to her work, but doesn't care enough about this sort of thing at all... she's definitely among the majority, here.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
My wife has yet to be able to see it. I had to warn her last night not to watch any new trailers. Really wanna see it again myself. Hopefully we get the chance.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
It's been said in this thread, but I'm sure the marketing strategy has shifted to drawing repeat viewers. People who would know the significance of the hammer have already seen it. Maybe the lady hero splash page might attract some more moviegoers, though.