• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
It's too bad the GOP won't turn on McCarthey and McConnell like they did Cheney. They aren't women like Cheney is though, so odds are high this won't lead to anything. They don't have vaginas though, so none of their supporters will care. We aren't going to see words like "RINO" and "traitor" thrown at them (well, maybe "traitor" but not for the right reasons).

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Having flashbacks to Maddow's "bombshell" Trump tax reveal.

No one will give a shit about this. She just doesn't seem to understand.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

She's living in the fantasy America made for itself where accountability and presenting facts can be damning. Do the fascists care? No. They're going to start becoming in charge in November and less of this will matter then.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017

In this particular situation I just can't blame her for nobody caring. The tax reveal thing was indeed a wet fart and embarrassing but at any other time pre-Trump era this McCarthy tape would be a bombshell scandal.

A huge percentage of this country now not caring about the truth isn't Maddow's fault.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really saddened to see people come and here and say no one will give a shit so they shouldn't even bother reporting it. That's not the point of documenting these things.

You give up even wanting to report this stuff and we are really done. You have to fight until you can't anymore. It's fairly hopeless right now, but not completely. Acting like Maddow is the foolish one here is truly giving up.

All the time I think about this:

The Atlantic - Power Causes Brain Damage

Are they just incapable of truly grasping the situation? Are they just that craven? Or is there more to it all that we still don't have the full context of? Cause yeah.
It has always been a readily observable behavior that people with power always want more power no matter how much they have - because they lose all perspective. Just like billionaires thirst for billions more - because they have no realistic perspective on what their current fortune provides them.

You can see this in a child who becomes obsessed with acquiring a new toy which has taken root in their imagination. Get the toy, discover it does not bring fulfillment, begin to petulantly demand another toy.

It's a core issue with human psychology - the inability to be satisfied. At least, not without a lot of self-reflection and philosophical understanding of the human experience, and the nature of "wanting". One guy made a whole religion out of it.

So this kind of craven behavior among people with power isn't new and is as old as the species. Think of how many real life mad kings there have been; and the wealthy nobles stood by and allowed the madness to continue rather than walk in and put the king to the sword. Because they were afraid of losing the power they had. Even if supporting the king would eventually destroy them as well.

Trump is literally Republicans' mad king and the old story plays out again. In heated moments of fear, such as just when the capitol was being stormed, many Republicans experienced a moment of clarity and realized they had to stop this. Then the fear of loss and thirst of want closed its grip on them again, and they began beating the drum for their mad king once more, falling in line.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I'm really saddened to see people come and here and say no one will give a shit so they shouldn't even bother reporting it. That's not the point of documenting these things.

You give up even wanting to report this stuff and we are really done. You have to fight until you can't anymore. It's fairly hopeless right now, but not completely. Acting like Maddow is the foolish one here is truly giving up.

Bingo.

Oct 30, 2017

I don't think the argument is necessarily that things like this shouldn't be recorded and reported to the public.

I think the issue is that media loves to hype up these sorts of news dumps--not because they believe it to be that serious--but because it generates views, clicks, and revenue. I appreciate that Maddow brought this information to the forefront along with the NYT investigative article (which, to me, is the more important component because it is actual journalism without the clickbait).

We've been going on nearly 7 years of screaming how detrimental the continuous corruption, double-speak, and contradictions promoted by the right are on the general public but no one of importance truly gives a fuck to bring the hammer down. All this does is add to the saga that is our government refusing to hold these politicians accountable in an actual court of law.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that they all hate him, but because they see that so many of their constituents love him, they don't want to go against him for fear of losing their seat come the next election cycle. They backpedal and start supporting home openly and publicly, which just creates a cycle of not holding him accountable for his actions, and further deifying him in the GOP. He's basically already the next Ronald Reagan. You better not speak badly about old Donnie, that's like speaking badly about old Ronnie. Shit, there are people who would even say Trump is better than Reagan now.

It's interesting because by doing this, they just bolster him further, meaning they'll have to deal with him even longer unless he keels over sometime soon, and by that time, then he'll have influenced enough POS politicians like MTG and they'll just pick up the mantle. If they don't like Trump and the way he handles shit, then they need to fucking say so and stick to their guns, because they are actively helping drive the GOP more and more towards that being the norm going forward.

But who the fuck am I kidding, they don't have the spine to do that, or probably even the thought process to look ahead and consider that before they decide to just bend the knee.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
The only person that's going to care about this is Trump, because he went against the throne.

redmason81

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2022
It sucks that Trump would have been convicted/barred from running again if the GOP leadership weren't such spineless cowards. They got 10 Republican votes to impeach in the House and 7 to convict in the Senate, and that was with the realization that Trump wouldn't actully be convicted. Most of the Republicans that voted to impeach/convict gave up their chances of ever being reelected. But if GOP leadership got behind impeachment, they easily would have gotten 10 more votes to convict.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

McCarthy tried to deny the report earlier today.

Pretty clear now that both Mitch and Kevin backed away from very strongly believing Trump should be impeached, within just days of openly discussing his removal and trying to stop Pence from pardoning him.

What happened?

They remembered that the Trump cult is the GOP now.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
McCarthy will literally do anything to be speaker of the house so none of this shocks me.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
But also fuck the NYT for sitting on the audio in order to drive up traffic.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Buahahaha bro they have you recorded! What are you doing?!

All the GOP needs to do is say something is a lie, even if there is absolute proof it isn't.

They just create a fantasy world and half of the country just blindly follows them into it because it's comfortable.

Facts are completely irrelevant to fascists.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
User warned: thread whining
Oh goodie, the Unpaid Turning Point USA Crew is in this thread cheering authortarianism, too.

Here: go be useful. https://www.vogue.com/article/trans-organizations-to-support

Anywho, with this, Ginni Thomas' DMs, and Lee's admittance to the replacing electors coup but NOT to the white trash storming the capitol coup (while naming those who were), we're getting closer to the point where it'll need to get beyond paramilitary crews. The billionaires, the congresscritters, the ringleaders.

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
All the GOP needs to do is say something is a lie, even if there is absolute proof it isn't.

They just create a fantasy world and half of the country just blindly follows them into it because it's comfortable.

Facts are completely irrelevant to fascists.
It also helps that Fox News hasn't even mentioned this story or Kevin McCarthy today. All the polticians have to do is lie and deny, and their propaganda department at Fox News will take care of the rest and keep it from reaching everyone in their audience even when there is evidence as damning as that tape.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

Yeah… Trump doesn't care. He actually likes it because it shows his power over the GOP that he can get them to fall in line as quickly as he did. So yeah if anyone needed more evidence that the GOP is now a fascist and authoritarian party.

How to act from there? I'm not sure.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's so damn ridiculous that Donald Wardell Trump officially hijacked a political party here. Lol McCarthy is such a punk.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
America is so utterly fucked and what will happen in 2024 is terrifying to the rest of the world too.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah… Trump doesn't care. He actually likes it because it shows his power over the GOP that he can get them to fall in line as quickly as he did. So yeah if anyone needed more evidence that the GOP is now a fascist and authoritarian party.

I was afraid of this. Like I said, Trump would have to be even stupider than we thought if he didn't already know McCarthy wasn't eating his shit willingly. He probably enjoys making powerful people kiss his ass unwillingly just as much as having hordes of morons worship him.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Good god McCarthy has to be the most pathetic minority/majority leader the GOP has ever had.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
These people were never going to publicly back the impeachment of Trump, when that would also signal the end of their lifetime political positions.

I have no understanding of why people have even a breadcrumb of faith in any politician, when at their core, the main priority in their action is to secure reelection.

Oct 28, 2017

I don't buy this for a minute. Trumplethinskin demands absolute loyalty and he accounts for every transgression. There is no way he is okay with this -- though I'm sure he did delight in the stranglehold he has over the party. No way he looks at McCarthy the same way from here on out and he will never trust him. I don't think he will allow him to become speaker of the house now and he was going to be.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I don't buy this for a minute. Trumplethinskin demands absolute loyalty and he accounts for every transgression. There is no way he is okay with this -- though I'm sure he did delight in the stranglehold he has over the party. No way he looks at McCarthy the same way from here on out and he will never trust him. I don't think he will allow him to become speaker of the house now and he was going to be.

I believe it. Desantis will be running for President so Trump wants to keep all the friends he can in the GoP. He'll save his revenge for after the he wins the nomination or the Presidency. He's going to be a very nice man to his GoP counterparts until then.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
He demands loyalty, and if he can't get it, he'll use the mob tactics to get it. Once McCarthy gave him what he wanted, Trump knows he has all the leverage on McCarthy.

No proof, but here's why I don't think Trump or McCarthy gives two shits about this at all. In the immediate aftermath of Jan. 6th, yes, the majority of the Republican Party wanted Trump out, because they knew, or thought, that they were fucked. Like another poster mentioned, had Trump been impeached within hours, etc. then yes, it might have been a different outcome. But, by the time it happened, Trump used his mob tactics to force the GOP to fall in line, and I'm sure on that trip to Florida, when McCarthy and Trump sat behind closed doors, that's when the fealty was made. Trump got something on McCarthy, and did the photo op to establish his dominance. It's the Trump thing to do.