• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
The story details also aren't new haha, exact same wording was used on the site when the game was announced. Nintendo have just been reposting a lot of stuff lately

Well, damn. I gotta pay more attention!

EDIT:

And in that case, the thread should probably be locked. If people want, they can put my pixel count results in the main thread.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful look. It's got style. I can see those combat stages are very sparse, but I appreciate the choice to focus it all on the characters. They look great. Best choice.

Those more complex scenes are very nice, too. And they give a chance to fill the whole screen with that style and take it in.

This just shot way up on my radar. Shame about that title. Sounds like some third rate jrpg.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the world and the particle effects, I'm worrying about the framerate.
Maybe it's a controlled scene or something.
The game's trailer doesn't seem to be doing anything extraordinary tbqh. Nothing the Switch couldn't handle.

Although I'm definitely expecting the game to be 30fps.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I'm still shocked this isn't a MonolithSoft game, the artstyle before Platinum was mentioned had me flipping out that we were getting a new IP from them this early. In any case, I'm in. This is like if shonen+seinen+crackdown had a baby, premise wise at least, and I hope you can explore the city in full.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
It kinda looks like Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I mean the way the textures look. Probably won't buy at launch but later this year. Hope this one will be good.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Bullshots? Looks higher-res than usual.
The game will look great in handheld mode anyway.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Good bullshots, i'd be surprised if the game will look as good as these screenshots at 60fps.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i hope this is 60 fps, will be a bummer to play this kind of action game at 30, but the screenshots (even tho they're bullshots) make me worried that they won't be able to pull off 60 fps.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
i hope this is 60 fps, will be a bummer to play this kind of action game at 30, but the screenshots (even tho they're bullshots) make me worried that they won't be able to pull off 60 fps.
PlatinumGames history hints at unfixed framerate hovering close to 60 most of the time.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Not sure why everyone is calling these fake because they don't look like anything the Switch can't handle to me.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
People still believe in screenshots released by Nintendo? Try to browse some already released AAA titles available on the eShop and compare the screenshots with the game itself. Astral Chain won't look like this unless this is running in a Switch Pro or something. Expect a way worse IQ / lower resolution.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Why would it not being open-world mean it has to be a boss rush? Especially when we saw only one boss in the trailer and a bunch of other gameplay?
Not to mention it seems there are quests or specific tasks that would not work well at all in a "boss rush" (why in the world is this game described as such) setting.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Is it just me or does it look more cell shaded (or whatever the term is) now?

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Not to mention it seems there are quests or specific tasks that would not work well at all in a "boss rush" (why in the world is this game described as such) setting.

It's almost as if there's a space between boss rush and open world game design.
Nier Automata had a seamless world but it wasn't an open world game either. I expect the same kind of thing here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like there's an explorable hub world. I miss having hubs.

As for performance, I think hoping for 60fps is being overly optimistic. All the footage is in 30fps and platinum + open levels + high framerate don't mix

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure why people are saying these are bullshots. They're 1080p and the Switch is more than capable of hosting this kind of game.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
It's almost as if there's a space between boss rush and open world game design.
Nier Automata had a seamless world but it wasn't an open world game either. I expect the same kind of thing here.
Exactly my thoughts. And that is, without mentionning how the Nintendo website(s?) are talking about "exploration" beside battle.
The hot takes sometimes are amazing.

Is it because the Switch is as powerful as 2 3ds taped together >.>.
Not sure why people are saying these are bullshots. They're 1080p and the Switch is more than capable of hosting this kind of game.
Bad ports and low(er) buidget games dictates what the hardware can do at its best.
This will look horrible in docked mode.
Because reasons ?

Last edited: