• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
"Don't shoot my brother, he was just following orders!"

"Alright ma'am we won't shoot him!"

*shows mercy after an entire level of pretty much wiping out an entire tribe of Native Americans*

YIPEE

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How close is the SNES version of Sunset Riders to the arcade version? I grew up with the SNES one.

OP
OP
Platy

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
How close is the SNES version of Sunset Riders to the arcade version? I grew up with the SNES one.

Very
Pretty impressive port for the time
Arcade has 4 player coop, some scaling effects and most versions had actual Indian sprites as enemies in the Indian boss stage while the snes changed to regular enemies

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I love Sunset Riders, hope this makes it as part of an arcade collection at some point like Haunted Castle and Gradius. I'd kill to play Mystic Warriors and Violent Storm, never got to even touch either of those games and they look/sound crazy good.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I love Sunset Riders, hope this makes it as part of an arcade collection at some point like Haunted Castle and Gradius. I'd kill to play Mystic Warriors and Violent Storm, never got to even touch either of those games and they look/sound crazy good.

Violent Storm is legit Konami's best arcade beat 'em up. Metamorphic Force is also really good.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Violent Storm is legit Konami's best arcade beat 'em up. Metamorphic Force is also really good.
Ah Metamorphic Force, that's the one I was thinking of not Mystic Warriors. This thread is the first I've heard of Mystic Warriors and it's a sequel to Sunset Riders apparently?? Holy shit.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
And stuff I'd kill to see but is definitely out due to licensing (Konami X Hamster should do another Arcade Classics Collection maybe):
  • Aliens
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time

How was it that Arcade 1Up was able to get the rights to the TMNT games? Certainly if they can, Hamster could as well.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Arcade 1Up licenses their mini cabinets as toys, which are much easier to acquire the rights for.

Because, like Capcom's arcade stick thingie with the AvP license (and possibly with their collaboration with Cave on Progear), the licensing is much easier, and cheaper, to acquire when you're handling it as an exclusively "for-toys" release than it is for reselling videogames.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Violent Storm is , low-key, the best 90s brawler ever made.
That's not how you spell
tumblr_ne9dzqwL7D1qbper1o1_400.gifv

METAMORPHIC FORCE ;3

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
Ah Metamorphic Force, that's the one I was thinking of not Mystic Warriors. This thread is the first I've heard of Mystic Warriors and it's a sequel to Sunset Riders apparently?? Holy shit.

It's not a sequel, but it's essentially Sunset with Ninjas... It's a sister game, if you will.

I remember seeing the fire effects at the end of the first level in an arcade when the game was new-ish and it was probably the best graphics I'd ever seen.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
It's not a sequel, but it's essentially Sunset with Ninjas... It's a sister game, if you will.

I remember seeing the fire effects at the end of the first level in an arcade when the game was new-ish and it was probably the best graphics I'd ever seen.

Wow, that looks pretty good. Unfortunately the PCB seems super rare.

Oct 25, 2017
Sunset Riders is indeed one of the best. I'm definitely buying that day one.

TMNT: Turtles in Time > Sunset Riders > TMNT > The Simpsons > X-Men

All of them are great, but that's my personal "4-player arcade Konami action game" equation.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
As someone who literally just finished watching all of Giant Bomb's Game Room Quick Looks, let us be patient. Sunset Riders has been promised once before...

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It's an outright better game in almost every respect, in my opinion. Not just a cyberpunk American ninja Sunset Warriors.

1. You have up to 5 characters to choose between, each of which has a different upgrade path. For example, one develops a spread gun whereas another never gains a wider shoot but his shots just get faster.

2. You have melee attacks. They actually have multiple animations for this just for variety's sake, so Keima will alternate between whipping people with his hair and punching them in the face.

3. The game is absolutely chock full of cheesy quotes even moreso than Sunset Riders. You have voice clips announcing all of food you get "TEMPURA!" "SUKIYAKI!", multiple lines of dialogue with bosses, etc.

4. WHO IS NINJA

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Pretty sure I posted about the need for Sunset Riders recently. Maybe I should have wished for something else with that last one from the genie but I'm satisfied.

At one point 98% of my income was going to Sunset Riders with 1% to
Batman pinball and the other 1% to candy.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Very
Pretty impressive port for the time
Arcade has 4 player coop, some scaling effects and most versions had actual Indian sprites as enemies in the Indian boss stage while the snes changed to regular enemies

I remember at the time being bummed about the lack of standard Native American enemies in the SNES version but in retrospect that was probably the better way to go as the Native American stuff in this game certainly hasn't held up super well:

scalp_drive.jpg

image-063.jpg

Im still very excited for this though as I grew up loving this game but not super looking forward to that section though.

OP
OP
Platy

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Footage thanks to a famitsu stream
(at ~40 minutes if the direct link fails)

youtu.be

【サンセットライダーズ/ノーティボーイ】俺たちのアケアカ【ファミ通】

ファミ通のクラシックゲーム好きスタッフの“ででお”と“みさいル小野”が、80年代、90年代のアーケードゲームを忠実に再現するハムスターの“アーケードアーカイブス(アケアカ)”作品をプレイ。番組のラストでは、アケアカ作品の新作発表もあり。お見逃しなく! ハムスター『アーケードアーカイブス』 http://www.h...

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
Sunset Riders is an iconic game from my childhood. I spent so much money renting that thing from Blockbuster I could have owned 5 copies.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Hell yes! I've been wanting to play Sunset Riders forever. Super excited!

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
I don't normally get any game day one, especially virtual console/arcade archives stuff, but I'll be making an exception this time for Sunset Riders.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I will get all of them (as usual).
But please, Hamster, please do not default settings to smooth pixels. (I get this can be easily changed, but I just don't understand)