• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 1, 2018
I wonder why they allowed this considering they cant check every game that you stream from your PC to you Apple TV?

A new app called Rainway lets you play PC games on iOS devices. It supports controllers like the PlayStation DualShock, Xbox One Controller, MFI controllers, and robust touch controls. To get started you'll need an iPhone or iPad running iOS 8 or higher, and a Windows 10 PC running Rainway. For the best performance use a physical Ethernet connection on a 5GHz router.
rainway.com

Rainway Launches on Android TV and Amazon Fire TV - Apple TV to follow | Rainway

Play All of Your PC Games on the Big Screen

Just got the mail, its finally out on AppleTV:
Rainway for Apple TV
Gaming from the couch has never been better! Play all your favorite PC games on your big screen using a Bluetooth gamepad or your Siri remote as a mouse.

To get started, make sure your PC has Rainway set up. If not, download Rainway, and follow the instructions. Then download the Rainway for TV app on your TV, connect it to your Rainway Dashboard, and start playing.

Play your PC games anytime, anywhere with Rainway on your iOS or Android phone or tablet, Chromium browsers, Mac, and now on Android TV, Fire TV, and Apple TV. Play your PC games on your big screen today.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
xCloud and Stadia are banned but Rainway is not? O.o

"To get started, make sure your PC has Rainway set up "

Seems to me it is more similar to Steam Link as you need to have your own PC acting as the server. So it is not a "cloud gaming" service per se.

Still, the whole reason they gave was so stupid and Apple grasping as straws to try and cockblock rivals out of iOS.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Can this do local network streaming for people with bad internet?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So you're just streaming from your PC to your Apple device? That's been allowed for a while.

andimi

Nov 6, 2017
My understanding is that Apple would approve local streaming apps (such as Steam Link and this one), but not remote streaming apps (such as Stadia, xCloud, etc)

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
This, like Parsec, Steam Link and Moonlight is only for remote desktop which is authorized. Apple confirmed that the "checking every games" only for gaming apps.

Even Shadow, a cloud based remote client, is authorized on the App Store. But when they tried to add a shortcut for games, Apple warned them that this was not authorized and they had to remove it. Thus Shadow can function as a cloud service but not advertise that you can game with it.
www.theverge.com

Apple confirms cloud gaming services like xCloud and Stadia violate App Store guidelines

Cloud gaming and iOS are at an impasse, for now.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
If Apple allows the Steam Link App on their store, they had to also allow Rainway because it functions in the exact same way. It just streams your own games from your PC.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
"To get started, make sure your PC has Rainway set up "

Seems to me it is more similar to Steam Link as you need to have your own PC acting as the server. So it is not a "cloud gaming" service per se.

Still, the whole reason they gave was so stupid and Apple grasping as straws to try and cockblock rivals out of iOS.
Yeah, my bad, this is not cloud streaming. Sry.

pure

Jun 18, 2019
Germany
xCloud and Stadia are banned but Rainway is not? O.o
Shadow, Remote Play (PlayStation) and Steam Link are all available for iOS. I think(!) the App Store policys state that for remote desktop apps, when you stream a game you have to own the device it's being stream from. This is very weird distinction but local streaming seems to be fine

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Rainway isn't new, before the Switch came out (or shortly after) they were making big promises of it working on there/being able to stream PC games to it/"Guyzz we hav a devkit".
Took crowdfunding money from Switch owners for "polishing", as well as making a big scene to advertise it since only the Nintendo gamers cared about it.
After that they vanished in a puff of smoke.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
isn't rainway a scam service that was supposed to come to switch as well?
not to mention, this isn't cloud gaming

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
There are plenty of apps that offer cloud streaming from a local box on iOS. There are apps for PS4, Xbox, Steam etc. Sony have an official PS4 remote play app on there. OneCast is the popular Xbox version. I use them both quite a lot. Pretty sure SteamLink is back on the App Store too?

It's cloud gaming (like, from the cloud proper) that Apple take issue with.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
isn't rainway a scam service that was supposed to come to switch as well?
not to mention, this isn't cloud gaming
Yes and the CEO is very petty, I criticised their advertisements revolving entirely around the Switch despite them claiming Nintendo hadn't authorised anything (this was confirmed in their discord) but Switch fans were following every single post they made. I tweeted something like "this is incredibly misleading" and he would message back both in DMs and publicly to say I'm not doing my job right

Edit: lol they've deleted all the Switch trailers. This site reposted one though
www.gamereactor.nl

Rainway - First Look Trailer

Rainway - First Look Trailer video

Last edited:

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
quoting myself from another thread
apple don't seem to like "launcher" apps (apps that launch other things) or storefronts for digital goods. for example, most (maybe all except prime?) non-apple video apps do NOT allow in app purchases or subscriptions, you have to sign up to them and buy things via their website or other platform and the app cannot tell you to do this.

the exceptions to this are 1) if apple can take part of the sub (so for example, if you subbed to spotify via the spotify app on iOS apple would take their 30%) 2) if apple makes a deal with someone (like amazon for prime video).

the current "remote play" apps tend to get around this by being "screen mirroring" apps which are not subject to the same scrutiny from apple. that's likely why ps4 remote play is on iOS but PS now is not, and why all other streaming services (geforce now, stadia, etc) are noticeably absent.

it sucks and apple needs to change it. alternatively, would be awesome if these big companies could open source their iOS apps and allow those interested to compile and run on their own iOS devices, but i guess that would be a logistical nightmare.
rainway is a screen mirroring app
So can't Microsoft just put Console Streaming on there?
they could, but probably don't want to as it might weaken their position (e.g. they're already compromising).

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes and the CEO is very petty, I criticised their advertisements revolving entirely around the Switch despite them claiming Nintendo hadn't authorised anything (this was confirmed in their discord) but Switch fans were following every single post they made. I tweeted something like "this is incredibly misleading" and he would message back both in DMs and publicly to say I'm not doing my job right
yikes
yeah they basically advertised something knowing it was never going to happen, in order to increase interest in their service

OP
OP
Jun 1, 2018
Rainway isn't new, before the Switch came out (or shortly after) they were making big promises of it working on there/being able to stream PC games to it/"Guyzz we hav a devkit".
Took crowdfunding money from Switch owners for "polishing", as well as making a big scene to advertise it since only the Nintendo gamers cared about it.
After that they vanished in a puff of smoke.
Do you have a source for that?

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Wait, didn't Steam Link have problems coming to the Apple App Store?
Isn't this pretty much the same thing just by a different brand?
Or is Steam lInk now on Apple devices?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, didn't Steam Link have problems coming to the Apple App Store?
Isn't this pretty much the same thing just by a different brand?
Or is Steam lInk now on Apple devices?
Yeah Steam Link is now on iOS but it was not on the beginning because you could still buy games through it. They removed that option to be approved.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Steam Link is now on iOS but it was not on the beginning because you could still buy games through it. They removed that option to be approved.
You never could buy games through it. That's why there was such uproar about Apple's decision to block it - and then it took something like a year to actually get on the store.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Do you have a source for that?
I don't know if there's any specific article that covers everything that happened, but there are a few threads about Rainway on this forum if you want to search around.
Here's one from 2018 where they were scrubbing any Switch mentions and blocking anybody that would ask about it.

www.resetera.com

Rainway block Nintendo Enthusiast journalist after calling out misleading Switch marketing

More here: https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2018/09/05/will-rainway-ever-come-to-the-switch/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Isn't it obvious? This only works if you are running the games you own on your PC locally and you stream them to your device, that's the same as Steam Link which indeed is allowed and works on IOS. Stadia, Xcloud and Geforce Now let you play games which are not running on your hardware and you pay a subscription for that.

AndrewMD5

Aug 31, 2018

Edit: lol they've deleted all the Switch trailers. This site reposted one though
www.gamereactor.nl

Rainway - First Look Trailer

Rainway - First Look Trailer video

Hi Jonneh, it's been awhile since we last engaged but in the three years since then it looks like memory has become a little fuzzy. I did in fact tell you that you were doing a poor job, because you posted things that were outright false on Twitter to fan the flames of drama for likes. Such as the time you posted that we "scrubbed our website of any mention of the Switch" when no such mention ever existed (proven by folks calling you out with WayBackMachine). You also claimed we "took money from fans," which again never happened. Because of these blatant falsities there are now folks like this:

Took crowdfunding money from Switch owners for "polishing"

Now, years later, you're on a thread about Rainway that is not relevant to the Switch lying again saying we've "deleted all the Switch trailers." Again, this is untrue, you can find every single demo I made on Twitter, and the only YouTube video is just unlisted at the request of Nintendo, as we stated in interview with Nintendo Life two years ago.

One of us is petty, and it isn't me mate. Ironically people have once again started running Rainway on their Switch proving that it was always possible & the hardware was capable.

Of course we've since released on basically every platform since then, including the Xbox.

Last edited:

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I've tried Rainway for other platforms. It's fine, but not nearly as feature-rich as Steam Link or as high of quality as Moonlight (both of which are available on the iOS app store).
I too fell for the Switch hype a few years ago and it really soured me on their brand.

I'll stick with Moonlight for now.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
User Banned (1 week): accusations of astroturfing
Maybe don't just post accusations without sources?
check it out guys we found the CEO of Rainway

but seriously, this has been a well known and unfortunate situation for a while

edit: Jesus apparently we actually did find the CEO of Rainway what the hell lol

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Side question but also relevant, can this or Stream Link stream games from Game Pass for PC?