• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
They seem to be doubling down on the "building up the Island" aspect.

As much as I look forward to New Horizons, I'm nervous this aspect may take away from the relaxing experience Animal Crossing is known for.

I know innovating a series is important, but I don't want to do too much work in an Animal Crossing game haha

i like the sense of direction and intention it gives the game. i'll still be planting flowers and fishing and talking to my villagers and being an island bum, but i can also be working towards crafting a piece of furniture i want, or gathering materials for a bigger project.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
somebody punch me in the head and make me comatose. wake me up in march. this is unbearable.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this looks incredible. I'm not really getting more hyped but Nintendo has been drip feeding new information through various outlets just enough to keep me maximally engaged with watching a countdown clock.
I heard countdown!

t1584662400z0.png

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait, I love how much this is changing things up.

They haven't revealed much about the game which is great. I still have no clue what the hell is going on with this island thing, like are we just getting dumped on an island and random villagers will get dumped on with us?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Pretty certain this is going to be my game of the year in 2020. I get that big ass AAA games are coming that year but my time with New Leaf was profoundly satisfying.

OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also lol at the responses, we're all really despearte for a new Animal Crossing huh? Now the real question is whose Satan circle was the successful one in for this?

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
hopefully 1) it's a very slowwww process and 2) it seamlessly transitions into a classic Animal Crossing town
I don't think I want anything less and it puzzles me that this is an attractive prospect for some. I don't understand the point of "the same Animal Crossing as always but the start is even slower and it takes even longer to access most of the features." It already took New Leaf too long to get going imo.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I don't understand why people are worried about the whole "building up the island" thing. It's not really much different than NL, it's just taken to a new level. It's just as optional now as it was then; save for unlocking and upgrading shops, which has been a thing for ages, I don't see why building up the island should be a great deal more stressful than Public Works Projects were (though it would be nice if the public actually, y'know, worked to get that stuff done this time). It's basically as stressful as you want it to be. Yeah, there's more to do overall, but... why would you want a new Animal Crossing with the same exact amount of content?

On another note, the game seems to look even better than the last time we saw it, if only slightly, which is wild, given that it already looked beautiful.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I don't think I want anything less and it puzzles me that this is an attractive prospect for some. I don't understand the point of "the same Animal Crossing as always but the start is even slower and it takes even longer to access most of the features." It already took New Leaf too long to get going imo.
To me, a static town is boring. A changing one is fun. It's like the old adage about model railroading, if you think your layout is done, you need to find a new hobby? I think once you can "access most of the features" the game starts to lose its charm.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
To me, a static town is boring. A changing one is fun. It's like the old adage about model railroading, if you think your layout is done, you need to find a new hobby? I think once you can "access most of the features" the game starts to lose its charm.
I feel like the solution people should want to this problem is for them to give us more options and things to do at the tail-end of the game, rather than taking things away at the start to make us wait longer for them. I love games where you start from nothing and have to build everything from the ground up, but not in a game where there's a real-time clock and the slow early part takes weeks instead of hours.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I feel like the solution people should want to this problem is for them to give us more options and things to do at the tail-end of the game, rather than taking things away at the start to make us wait longer for them. I love games where you start from nothing and have to build everything from the ground up, but not in a game where there's a real-time clock and the slow early part takes weeks instead of hours.
I agree with your first suggestion but won't concede to the latter; I think the early game with very little on the island will be plenty fun. I suppose we'll see though

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
The question here would be what, exactly, those features would be in a game like Animal Crossing. Most of the really fundamental options open up pretty early on, and the idea of having "more options at the tail-end of the game" just sounds like holding features and options hostage for way too long for the sake of not running out of things to do in the long term, which is exactly what you want to avoid when you say you don't like the game taking stuff away early on.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Nice boxart. So we got our first look at Isabelle new look (she wears...shoes ?!) and 2 new characters. One of them looks like a cute version of Chip and the other is the Dodo previously hinted at.
TVCM is sweet but doesn't show anything new.

Oct 25, 2017
The visuals have have really shed their charm over the years. The distinctive ground pattern is much more subdued. The colors are really brightened. Humans don't have their ugliness anymore. It looks hyper clean. I really don't like it.

Last edited:

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I've been losing my shit for literal hours at the bit when they're all "OOOOOH! :0" when the villager use her axe lmao
In 3 months we'll be playing it... Quiiiiiick !!!

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I doubt this will be the cover for the west. Studying several pages of the "Japanese box art" thread showed me that this looks exactly how Japanese cover mostly look and also mostly stay there.
But I won't be disappointed if it's indeed the final world wide cover, it's fine. 🤷‍♂️
They're all the same everywhere when it comes to Nintendo nowadays.
They've had a lot of typical japanese covers that west Square Enix and co would never dare to use.

This definitely is a typical Switch's Nintendo cover.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Still worried about the crafting and over-emphasis on player QoL but I'll get it for sure.

hopefully 1) it's a very slowwww process and 2) it seamlessly transitions into a classic Animal Crossing town
My biggest worry is that it'll not feel like a game that grows when you aren't playing it.
Was Isabelle already confirmed prior to this?
Isabella is the New Leaf era mascot. I think her time came and went, and like Rover, and other old timers you'll just get a bunch of cameos in the cafe or maybe on a boat, or a rare event.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have one last voucher. Kind of annoyed that I still can't use it for this.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The visuals have have really shed their charm over the years. The distinctive ground pattern is much more subdued. The colors are really brightened. Humans don't have their ugliness anymore. It looks hyper clean. I really don't like it.
I was wondering if I'm the only one that missed the more potato-character look of the original games. It's become a bit more like a series of toys, the way it looks. As for lighting I think of it more as a typical Switch rendering thing. It's like that ugly period of graphics rendering where you've just got enough to do more realistic lighting techniques but not the GPU budget to render a lot of shadows, so it has this weirdly bright "unlit" look to it. I don't really like it either. Reminds me of the nauseating areas in Dragon Age Inquisition that are too colorful and bright.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
They seem to be doubling down on the "building up the Island" aspect.

As much as I look forward to New Horizons, I'm nervous this aspect may take away from the relaxing experience Animal Crossing is known for.

I know innovating a series is important, but I don't want to do too much work in an Animal Crossing game haha
I get the concern because it's something new, but everything related to crafting, building the island, etc, seem to be made in the chillest way you could design it. It'll definitely be a cool, relaxing experience, and 100% not punishing if you do something "wrong".

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I was wondering if I'm the only one that missed the more potato-character look of the original games. It's become a bit more like a series of toys, the way it looks. As for lighting I think of it more as a typical Switch rendering thing. It's like that ugly period of graphics rendering where you've just got enough to do more realistic lighting techniques but not the GPU budget to render a lot of shadows, so it has this weirdly bright "unlit" look to it. I don't really like it either. Reminds me of the nauseating areas in Dragon Age Inquisition that are too colorful and bright.
this is an interesting complaint, given that the game has self-shadowing and some of the best graphics on Switch:

as a huge fan of the N64/GCN game's style I agree with you to an extent, but don't let your distaste for the visual style color your assessment of the technical aspect.

at least we aren't in New Leaf anymore. what a terribly ugly, charmless game.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
this is an interesting complaint, given that the game has self-shadowing and some of the best graphics on Switch:
No doubt is it an advanced game graphically, regardless of if it was on Switch or a PS4, but I just... don't like the vibe of the graphics this time, is that weird? Like the other person said it's just too bright and certain ground details are too clean. It has a less charming vibe somehow and it's not just because it's on an island. I liked New Leaf better but it was less charming to look at than Wild World. City Folks is the worst, most "plastic" look for the series though.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Isabella is the New Leaf era mascot. I think her time came and went, and like Rover, and other old timers you'll just get a bunch of cameos in the cafe or maybe on a boat, or a rare event.
She's on the box art with a brand new outfit, and she's litterally on the last shot of this tv spot, with a close up.
She's way, way, way too popular. She's the mascot of Animal Crossing, period. The Animal Crossing twitter account is an Isabelle account.
Thinking she'll just be a cameo or whatever is like when people assumed she wouldn't be playable in Smash.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
She's on the box art with a brand new outfit, and she's litterally on the last shot of this tv spot, with a close up.
She's way, way, way too popular. She's the mascot of Animal Crossing, period. The Animal Crossing twitter account is an Isabelle account.
Thinking she'll just be a cameo or whatever is like when people assumed she wouldn't be playable in Smash.
You're right, and she has gotten an iconic status over others and still mascotted the mobile game... I just personally, as much as I liked her in the previous game, I want them to move on from having her be the voice that comments on your everything at this point. It would seem more tasteful if she only appeared at certain times of day or even just the week than to have her waltz around observing your progress for yet another game.

Nook or his children seem to be the focal point of the marketing so far, due to his Island shenanigans.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
No doubt is it an advanced game graphically, regardless of if it was on Switch or a PS4, but I just... don't like the vibe of the graphics this time, is that weird? Like the other person said it's just too bright and certain ground details are too clean. It has a less charming vibe somehow and it's not just because it's on an island.
nah that's not weird, and a totally valid impression. personally I'm pleased by its simple, detailed, and clean look, plus all of the little technical things like the leaves blowing in the wind and the raindrops in the rivers and buckets, but I'll see how I'll feel when I'm playing the game I suppose.