• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017

In response to US gun violence, the showrunners will not include firearms in Fudd's arsenal. That is not to say that he has given up hunting Bugs Bunny, though – he just uses a scythe instead.

"We're not doing guns," said Peter Browngardt, executive producers of the series, in an interview with the New York Times. "But we can do cartoony violence – TNT, the Acme stuff."

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
What about Yosemite Sam? I'll be honest, I haven't seen anything of this new skits so I don't know if Sam is even in any of them.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I get the motivation, but Fudd without a gun is a little weird. Him using a scythe to hunt Bugs is even weirder.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if that extends to Marvin the Martian and his disintegrating pistol as well.

Don't really have a major issue. With animation you can be a lot more creative with what you use. Don't have to resort to just Gun all the time.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I get it, but like... he's a dumb hunter. I dont know many hunters going out there with an axe to get their prey.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Elmer started without his gun to begin with and has been successfully portrayed separate from the hunter aspect before and after that period.

Sam's the one who's gonna be hurt by not having his six shooters.
Agreed. Elmer Fudd can exist in domestic settings that don't require firearms. But this change means you've essentially written out Sam, which is a shame because Sam is fucking hilarious.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
After all those years of him accidentally shooting himself in the face he's finally learned his lesson

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Elmer started without his gun to begin with and has been successfully portrayed separate from the hunter aspect before and after that period.

The personalities are a return to their original portrayals anyway (e.g. Daffy is just crazy now), so Fudd not having a gun is in line with that.

OP
OP
leburn98

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I feel that their heart is in the right place, but when you already have the character(s) trying to kill Bugs Bunny with a scythe, dynamite, axes, knives, anvils, chainsaws, etc. it's kinda "what's the point".

With that said, this effects Yosemite Sam more than Elmer Fudd. The six shooters and being an outlaw is kind of Yosemite Sam's thing.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Aw man, we don't get to see Bugs twisting Elmer's gun around and shooting himself in the butt.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm totally missing something, but why does Bugs have yellow gloves?

Also all this does it make me miss when Cartoon Network used to air these cartoons during rhe daytime back in the 90s.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a casual reminder that any kids watching this will not care in the slightest, and I'm good with that.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sam isn't just a Old West outlaw. Dude's also been a prison guard, medieval knight, rennasance-era nobleman, spaceman, etc.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not really seeing the connection between real world gun violence and elmer fudd using a gun. Maybe if the character was a cop I could see it, or something that puts him closer to controversial figures, but whatever their show and their choice. Just make it as funny as you can, as at the end of the day that is what matters. I haven't gotten a chance to see the new ones and hopefully these are just as good as the originals.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Elmer Fudd is supposed to be a hunter. Doesn't make sense for him to not have a rifle. Don't think I've seen any anti-gun violence advocacy groups from banning hunting rifles for hunters.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
he was already the worst hunter in the world. this is only going to handicap him further.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, it's a bit silly to have a strict anti-gun stance in a series where the most a gun ever does is singe someone's fur or rearrange their face in a comical fashion. There's a scene in these new shorts where Elmer steps on a bunch of nails and other unpleasant hazards that was far more gruesome to watch than anything he ever did with a rifle.

On the other hand, these cartoons have been out for almost two weeks now and literally no one gave a shit about Elmer not having a gun in them until this article, so that says all you need to know about the Twitter hot takes on how essential it is to his character.

I'm not really seeing the connection between real world gun violence and elmer fudd using a gun. Maybe if the character was a cop I could see it, or something that puts him closer to controversial figures, but whatever their show and their choice.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is the type of stuff conservatives go nuts about on social media lol.

Definitely an Adam Carolla bit in the making lol.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
He has yellow gloves in a number of early cartoons as well as the comics. It's simply a nod to that era.
A nod would be one episode but will he be wearing them all season long? I'm 40 years old and been watching looney tunes since i got out the womb and i don't think i have ever seen him with yellow gloves before. Weird....but not as weird as his voice

good on the removal of the shotgun though

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Eh, they're not necessary. I'm fine with losing the guns. I will admit that Daffy's beak being blown to the back of his head always made me laugh the most as a kid, but they can still do that with explosives.

I'm happy they kept Bugs cross-dressing.

That voice actor has to go, though. I have to imagine it's an intentional choice, because there are so many people out there who can actually do a good Bugs, but it just grates.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho

Both Elmer and his predecessor Egghead(who shoots an audience member in the cartoon "Daffy Duck and Egghead", a gag later famously reused in "Rhapsody Rabbit") used guns in cartoons in the late 30s and early 40s, the cartoon that is widely recognized to be the debut of Bugs and pair him with Elmer prominently features Elmer using his trademark rifle. He has definitely been shown in cartoons without his gun, and in fact some of the new cartoons, like the one with Elmer's pool, do work well without it, but it's not really accurate to say Elmer started out without his gun.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Make fun of the idiot with the gun, I'd say, but if kids are the main audience, sure, removing the guns is probably for the best.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
The Looney Tunes actually have an interesting history with their prominent gun use, back in the 70's when ABC started airing them on their Saturday morning block they cut out most of the gunplay and violence, something that was heavily criticized by the directors of the cartoons like Chuck Jones and Friz Freleng. It's actually funny that the new cartoons are cutting the guns out however the classics that are on the service alongside the new ones have their guns intact, though I for sure don't want to see the originals edited.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks this might be overdoing it just a little. I mean, hacking people to pieces with scythes IS okay? Cartoon violence is cartoon violence.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
great move. denormalizing guns for America's children is going to take a lot of people's effort, but if other creators see this and think, "hmm, how can I organically remove guns from my children's entertainment without changing the joke or the story in the slightest," then that could be a snowball going down a hill for years going forward.

violence in children's entertainment has gone back a long way—look at Grimms' Tales, among so much more—which is why I think there's ultimately a payoff when a cartoon removes guns in favor of stuff like TNT and swords. don't make me link to every goddamned school shooting I can think of.