• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
If it can be achieve without the therefore needless facefull of boobs why going for it ?
So again doing it right until some mother fucker who just can't keep it in his pants for more than 20 fucking minutes barged in and dropped that into the game .
(and yes over here in my country at least she's been used in marketing material in game stores )
Eh. This is already bordering on the "the only good sexualization is no sexualization at all" argument and I just can't agree with that.

Gwynevere's design makes sense in-game and most people will only see her once. She's not making sexual noises or posing suggestively either. What's wrong with one design that shows a little cleavage in a game that gets so much right? It's eyerolling, at the very most.

Fun fact: Miyazaki himself thought the design was a bit much, but since the designer was so happy with it "he just couldn't tell him no."

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What point am I missing if the very games that this game is based on offer what you're looking for?
The point is simply that a whole fuckton of games out there pull this exact same trick of basing its marketing on unreasonably sexualized female characters and it's tiring to see for a lot of people. So the "But there's the Dark Souls alternative" point doesn't really matter, the issue is that enough games do this to make it a pattern.

Eh. This is already bordering on the "the only good sexualization is no sexualization at all" argument and I just can't agree with that.

Gwynevere's design makes sense in-game and most people will only see her once. She's not making sexual noises or posing suggestively either. What's wrong with one design that shows a little cleavage in a game that gets so much right? It's eyerolling, at the very most.
Agreed 100%. Having like one character designed to be sexually appealing is far from a problem IMO, especially when it's not really unreasonable in context, and she's in one scene anyway, and there's more to her than meets the eye, which justifies her design in a few ways.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018

Fun fact: Miyazaki himself thought the design was a bit much, but since the designer was so happy with it "he just couldn't tell him no."
Again no I'm not in favor of the zero sexualization policy . I'm against it popping up at random for no rime or reason "just because"
And sorry but Gwynevere is one such example of popping at random for no rime or reason at all. It was needless senseless baseless and could have been done without and IS better off without.

You won't see me complaining about the sexualization of some fighting game characters while complaining about the sexualization of others, in Dark Souls both Gwyn and Queelag are just straight up gratuitous and unnecessary period.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All this is useful feedback! Thanks so much for sharing regardless whether it's positive or negative, it's all good feedback.
it would help to show more of the combat. as I said before, souls-like live and die on their combat. an indepth combat video would go a long way in making the product more appealing

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
If it can be achieved without the therefore needless facefull of boobs why going for it ?
So again doing it right, until some mother fucker who just can't keep it in his pants for more than 20 fucking minutes barged in and dropped that into the game .
(and yes over here in my country at least she's been used in marketing material in game stores )

And to Gbraga bosses are a different analytical bag but gratuitous boobs is gratuitous boobs and needless , nontheless so although yes the repercussions are different on the overarching piece , doesn't change the fact that it is tiresome to be greeted once again by a needless facefull of boobs . So Queelag is also eggregious and unnecessary.
Because its extremely effective for the kind of people your accusing the designer as being. The souls universe is about as unerotic as it gets and to then be confronted by some cleavage clearly resonated with people. If it was purely the devs being horny. Then don't you think there would be more designs like hers? I can't think of any others, not just in Dark Souls, but all From Soft games(that I've played).

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Again no I'm not in favor of the zero sexualization policy . I'm against it popping up at random for no rime or reason "just because"
And sorry but Gwynevere is one such example of popping at random for no rime or reason at all. It was needless senseless baseless and could have been done without and IS better off without.

You won't see me complaining about the sexualization of some fighting game characters while complaining about the sexualization of others, in Dark Souls both Gwyn and Queelag are just straight up gratuitous and unnecessary period.
didnt-read.gif

Were you following the lore up that point or just killing bosses?

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Were you following the lore up that point or just killing bosses?
And yet another one on the pile of trying to discredit me just because he wants some boobs in his low magic , end of the world dark fantasy . Because Conan is better than the Cycle of Eiween yall ...

Please do tell me just how that big facefull of cleavage was absolutely necessary and couldn't be in any way shape or form be skipped altogether ?

Because its extremely effective for the kind of people your accusing the designer as being. The souls universe is about as unerotic as it gets and to then be confronted by some cleavage clearly resonated with people. If it was purely the devs being horny. Then don't you think there would be more designs like hers? I can't think of any others, not just in Dark Souls, but all From Soft games(that I've played).
Dude I'm gonna answer you by quoting someone in that very thread ...

I mean what more do you fucking want than Miyazaki himself legit admitting that he accepted under peer pressure of the designer that created it ...

So again at the risk of repeating myself "Doing it right until some mother fucker who just can't keep it in his pants for more than 20 minutes barged in and threw that shit in"

Last edited:

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that pushes it over the top from "kind of off-putting but whatever" to "I am looking at the developer's fetish" is that not only are all of the characters aggressively sexualized, but in seemingly the exact same way. A little variety would go a long way.

The other thing that really jumped out at me is that the "sword hit" sound effects are absolutely abysmal. I know some people are saying the animations are bad but I honestly think they're fine, it's just that nothing is going to look good with those sounds playing over it.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
And yet another one on the pile of trying to discredit me just because he wants some boobs in his low magic , end of the world dark fantasy . Because Conan is better than the Cycle of Eiween yall ...

Please do tell me just how that big facefull of cleavage was absolutely necessary and couldn't be in any way shape or form be skipped altogether ?

Dude I'm gonna answer you by quoting someone in that very thread ...

I mean what more do you fucking want than Miyazaki himself legit admitting that he accepted under peer pressure of the designer that created it ...

So again at the risk of repeating myself "Doing it right until some mother fucker who just can't keep it in his pants for more than 20 minutes barged in and threw that shit in"
I don't care about gwynevere being in the game because it was just a stop for me, but you're objectively wrong about there not being any context leading up to and after her appearance that could explain her appearance, especially when you learn that what you're seeing isn't even real.

It sounds like you're thinking that people just want tits and ass in Dark Souls and then throwing around the one blatant example of sexuality.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility, antagonizing other members, and inflammatory thread derailment
The thing that pushes it over the top from "kind of off-putting but whatever" to "I am looking at the developer's fetish" is that not only are all of the characters aggressively sexualized, but in seemingly the exact same way. A little variety would go a long way.
And if anything said fetish ain't exactly a very inventive one but a very tropey and rapey one , complete with the Zettai ryōiki non sense...
I mean you see Iain Garner the only thing that's missing to make me wanna call the cops on your asses is for the models to look legitimately underage ...

Last edited:

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I don't care about gwynevere being in the game because it was just a stop for me, but you're objectively wrong about there not being any context leading up to and after her appearance that could explain her appearance, especially when you learn that what you're seeing isn't even real.
Same goes than with Quiet in MGS V , it's just a pretty pitifull copout that is an insult to the rest of the lore and of the canon at large .
Again gratuitous and could have been done the same way , with roughly the same model just with much more modest clothing , and setup .
It sounds like you're thinking that people just want tits and ass in Dark Souls and then throwing around the one blatant example of sexuality.
Once again Gwynevere didn't needed to look like she's straight up escaped a pre muslim era middle eastern fairy tale . Her face the sofa and everything in the environnement was enough of a striking moment of beauty in this looong pale foggy low magic dark fantasy road to hit a nerve. The facefull of naked cleavage was completly uncalled for ...

So once again if you want to insist that this facefull of boobs was absolutely necessary please do but at least try to come up with a somewhat sensical argument , rather than being a dismissive prick .

Last edited:

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Same goes than with Quiet in MGS V , it's just a pretty pitifull copout that is an insult to the rest of the lore and of the canon at large .
Again gratuitous and could have been done the same way , with roughly the same model just with much more modest clothing , and setup .
Gwynevere can't be compared with Quiet when they take up drastically different amounts of screen time and appear in the game under different circumstances. If she was Dark Souls Maiden equivalent then I'd agree it was gratuitous.
Once again Gwynevere didn't needed to look like she's straight up escaped a pre muslim era middle eastern fairy tale . Her face the sofa and everything in the environnement was enough of a striking moment of beauty in this looong pale foggy low magic dark fantasy road to hit a nerve. The facefull of naked cleavage was completly uncalled for ...

So once again if you want to insist that this facefull of boobs was absolutely necessary please do but at least try to come up with a somewhat sensical argument , rather than being a dismissive prick .
Wow, okay. I never said the cleavage was necessary, I said I didn't care because she's in one room in a game that is practically the furthest you can get from fan service. I personally didn't find it titillating because of how fucked up everything around the area is, but I can't speak for everyone.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Wow, okay. I never said the cleavage was necessary.
And yet you painted me as the prude who didn't play the game and just googled "dark souls tits" and started a rant just because he had some beef to solve with the game ...

That one nasty part aside

So you do recognize that the facefull of naked cleavage was completly uncalled for. Therefore the blatant call back to the Sinovere Baladaquin fairy tale from pre islam Lebanon (and all of the erotic bagage that comes with calling back to it ) was unnecessary and the designers could have easily evoke the same sense of striking beauty in a bleak overall world without plain gratuituous titilation so what's so wrong about my statement again ?

(heck even in the fairytale Moira isn't depicted in such a provocative way ... and let's not forget it was a fairy tale for adults ... an erotic one. The sofa the pillow and her Tiara were enough visual cues for the knowledgeable about that fairy tale to get who Gwynevere was a call back to . )

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it that "anime Dark Souls" really means "Dark Souls if it was illustrated like a generic visual novel"?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The difference between Gwynevere and this is that Gwynevere is a single character whose visual style is still appropriate to her context (A lounging royal goddess of fertility) and makes her unusual in the greater setting.

This game is what would happen if Solaire, the Crestfallen Warrior, and the Chosen Undead were all designed like Gwynevere.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
And yet you painted me as the prude who didn't play the game and just googled "dark souls tits" and started a rant just because he had some beef to solve with the game ...

That one nasty part aside

So you do recognize that the facefull of naked cleavage was completly uncalled for. Therefore the blatant call back to the Sinovere Baladaquin fairy tale from pre islam Lebanon (and all of the erotic bagage that comes with calling back to it ) was unnecessary and the designers could have easily evoke the same sense of striking beauty in a bleak overall world without plain gratuituous titilation so what's so wrong about my statement again ?????
You seem to be putting words in my mouth since I never called you a prude. If you think that then that's telling. I was always talking about how Gwynevere didn't just pop up at random. If the context fits or is appropriate is debatable, but she has context in the game.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I was always talking about how Gwynevere didn't just pop up at random. If the context fits or is appropriate is debatable, but she has context in the game.
She has context the facefull of naked cleavage doesn't have a context rime or reason to be here. Dude are you really that dense ? Or are you missing the fucking point on purpose ?

And I am the one who's supposedly didn't read anything while playing ...

You seem to be putting words in my mouth since I never called you a prude.
Dude let me throw your own words back at you
If that isn't calling me a prude I dunno what is mate ...

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Looks awful. Missing the level design that makes Souls games interesting.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
She has context the facefull of naked cleavage doesn't have a context rime or reason to be here. Dude are you really that dense ? Or are you missing the fucking point on purpose ?

And I am the one who's supposedly didn't read anything while playing ...
My entire point is that she's an illusion used to misguide the player. Whatever you see is up to the caster. If you don't like that then that's your choice, but it's the truth.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Okay, so you apparently have an axe to grind with Dark Souls and think they're fan service bait. Noted.
Exactly the vibe you've been giving off since your very first message where you quoted me so you didn't exactly change much of your tune really ...

And I kept repeating you that the character herself wasn't what I took issue with but with the gratuituous and let me repeat once again and for the last time facefull of naked boobs that's what's gratuituous and uncalled for .

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely do not trust whoever is making this to get the combat right, full stop. Otherwise it looks neat.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry but this is blatant copy and not "inspired-by" title , just look at the UI and knight design .

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Sorry but this is blatant copy and not "inspired-by" title , just look at the UI and knight design .
Well I am pretty confident that those will probably change and be fleshed out at some point.
But just by looking at the trailer of this game , if we want a game like Dark Souls with only female characters selectable and playable , but we do want them in combat appropriate gear we will have to look elsewhere ...

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
2B, despite the outfit, actually has a personality which honesty gets in the way of the outfit and lewd camera. Without any personality, well, all you get is just a template for horny bland characters that just blur together

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
TheSyldat your take on thi

And I kept repeating you that the character herself wasn't what I took issue with but with the gratuituous and let me repeat once again and for the last time facefull of naked boobs that's what's gratuituous and uncalled for .
I think she's supposed to be evocative of reclining venus paintings from the renaissance which were typically nudes. I get that you don't like the nudity but I don't think you've managed to make your case that it's unjustified any more than anyone else has managed to make the case that it's "absolutely necessary." I don't know on what basis you find her so objectionable, but I can certainly see why if you did, you'd be quite disposed to not liking a game like this. I can't speak at all to its quality, and frankly am not particularly interested in this game, but it definitely feels like titillation isn't an incidental inclusion in this game, but a huge part of its basis for appeal. You want something else, and while I hope you also find that game, complaining that this game isn't a different game entirely feels like you're the one with the axe to grind.

only female characters selectable and playable
Like seriously, the most bizarre criteria for exclusion of a whole host of games that otherwise would satisfy your needs. Why is this a key selling point, except that it puts this game in a somehow negative light for not being something else?

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It looks pretty shovelwareish, and I'm not a fan of that music. The end made it seem like they were after an OC Donut Steel of 2B with that character design/run animation lol.

E: didn't even read the other comments. Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking 2B

Deleted member 35156

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Every time I want to play something like Dark Soule, I can't find anything and end up playing Darin Souls again.

If anything we don't have enough aping of Dark Souls.
You probably already know about Nioh but if you don't you should check it out, it's the perfect example of taking inspiration (in this case the souls formula) and making it your own. The only thing is that Nioh focuses a lot more on combat and not so much exploration since the game is level based.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I think she's supposed to be evocative of reclining venus paintings from the renaissance which were typically nudes. I get that you don't like the nudity but I don't think you've managed to make your case that it's unjustified any more than anyone else has managed to make the case that it's "absolutely necessary." I don't know on what basis you find her so objectionable, but I can certainly see why if you did, you'd be quite disposed to not liking a game like this. I can't speak at all to its quality, and frankly am not particularly interested in this game, but it definitely feels like titillation isn't an incidental inclusion in this game, but a huge part of its basis for appeal. You want something else, and while I hope you also find that game, complaining that this game isn't a different game entirely feels like you're the one with the axe to grind.
Where did I say that I didn't like the Souls Games ? Please show me where ?
Oh yeah just because I take issue with ONE stupid design decision especially since she's a call back actually to lebanese erotic adult fairy tales . (that the Reclining Venus by Titian is ALSO a call back to in painting form )
Gwynevere is supposed to be a call back heck she even wears the same Tiara is roughly the same size than Moira is in the Sinovere Baladaquin ...
Again the naked cleavage was unnecessary I don't have a case to make here , it's the ones insisting that I'm off base that need to bring forth arguments here sorry .

And for the Neverinth which by the way is the subject of this thread those female character designs aren't not only providing reassurance that they will be breaking the mold of eggregious gratuituous titilation just for the heck of it but have actually designs that are so far down in the MOE tropes that the only thing that's missing is for those models to look waaaay underage ...

Last edited:

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
All this is useful feedback! Thanks so much for sharing regardless whether it's positive or negative, it's all good feedback.

I like the general concept and art. The character's hair and faces look really plasticy though, and in general the game needs better animation in regards to hits and such. The same applies to the sound. Needs more impact to hits.
Also, this is described as Souls like, but it also kind of seems more like stylish action at points in the trailer to me. Can you provide more details on that or a link to a more in-depth look at the combat?
Also, is this procedurally generated? I'm basing that on the English in this video but I can't read Chinese so apologies if I'm wrong, but it sounds like it's saying that's a way to get around low replay value. I think that's the wrong mindset. A really large number of games are released on Steam everyday. Some level of content is expected, but beyond that unless its something truly innovative the focus should be on quality over length. Replayability doesn't matter if it can't stand out on the merits of quality in the first place.
Good luck though! Really looking forward to seeing more console level games from mainland Asian developers.
BTW: The Steam link on this page goes to the wrong place.

Last edited:

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Edit: Reread, context seems to pretty clearly state they're talking about you not liking Neverinth, not disliking souls.
That's not how it reads to me , to me it's the exact opposite.

Now if anything the thread is indeed about Neverinth not about how Dark Souls rolled a "fumble critic" on getting it right from start to finish.

And again I'm no zero sexualization zealot it just needs to be appropriate and have a correct time and place.

In the case of Neverinth they have cool looking environnments , cool looking monster designs , buuut what do you control ? Your every day otaku favorite rape doll yaaaaaayyy ...

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
And again I'm no zero sexualization zealot it just needs to be appropriate and have a correct time and place.
Your need for an explicit reason for a fertility goddess having a cleavage window suggests otherwise. As as for the conversation focusing on it, it was brought up and cosigned by you as an example to stand against the souls games.

Do you view other aspects as needing clear, concrete and inescapable or unsubstitutable reasonong for their inclusion bearing in mind the isolation of this design in that game?

Also not seeing how you got that they were talking about the souls games from that post given the phrase: "definitely feels like titillation isn't an incidental inclusion in this game, but a huge part of its basis for appeal".

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Not really feeling it. I guess it's still early, but the art style just seems kind of cheap. IDK, maybe the combat will be good but hard to tell at this point. Also seems to be missing the facefulls of naked cleavage that the Dark Souls games are known for.

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Real quick question "does it change anything about the fact that a completely gratuitous gigantic facefull of boobs has been thrown at you for no other reason than because some jackass at the marketing department asked for it ?????"
It... changes everything in fact?

I don't understand this reply, seems like you didn't get their post at all and wrote a counter argument at random.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Your need for an explicit reason for a fertility goddess having a cleavage window suggests otherwise.
Oh yeah because me relishing in the sexualization of the male characters in the Guilty Gear series elsewhere , on resetera and defending said sexualisation even breaking down an entire design to a fellow bisexual man who's an artist who didn't knew the references is sooo much making me the prude ...
And me in that very same thread moaning and bitching that if DOA designers will go full bore sexualization of their female characters could they at least think of gay dudes / bi dudes , and ladies and do just the same to male characters is also sooo much making me being a prude.

Once again Gwynevere is a call back to the Sinovere Baldaquin her tiara and the entire interior and furniture was enough the facefull of naked boobs was just there for gratuituous titilation .

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah because me relishing in the sexualization of the male characters in the Guilty Gear series elsewhere , on resetera and defending said sexualisation even breaking down an entire design to a fellow bisexual man who's an artist who didn't knew the references is sooo much making me the prude ...
And me in that very same thread moaning and bitching that if DOA designers will go full bore sexualization of their female characters could they at least think of gay dudes / bi dudes , and ladies and do just the same to male characters is also sooo much making me being a prude.

Once again Gwynevere is a call back to the Sinovere Baldaquin her tiara and the entire interior and furniture was enough the facefull of naked boobs was just there for gratuituous titilation .
All that just sounds like incredibly different standards for appropriateness of sexualization. It doesn't actually mesh with your position here, but rather paints it as inconsistent.

But I can't say I fully understand the argument as I don't know what any of the things in the last part of your statement would do to specifically exclude the boob window. I'm genuinely unsure of what you're trying to communicate here. What does the decor do in relation to the boob window?