• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which did you like best?

• Neverending Story

Votes: 85 9.0%
  • Running Up That Hill

Votes: 479 50.6%
  • Master Of Puppets

Votes: 347 36.6%
  • Danhausen

Votes: 36 3.8%

• Total voters

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Master of Puppets for me. It was just totally badass in all the right ways.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
That Neverending Story scene was about the cringiest and most forced nostalgia thing I've ever seen from Stranger Things.

LawfulEnder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Running Up That Hill makes for the best scene but I'm not gonna vote against Eddie, so.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I swear to god if this show makes use of any other old ass song in the final season and I have to put up with people quoting and using that said old ass song for a whole month again I will disconnect myself from any form of social media interaction for the rest of my life. The use of Neverending Story was insufferable and forced and it had all the annoying people in earth on chokehold. At least the Running Up That Hill scene was legit good but gosh do fans of this show make anything and everything feel tired 3 seconds after going viral.

And yes I'm not fun at parties, no need to ask.

Last edited:

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Running Up that Hill > Master of Puppets > basically everything else > Neverending Story

TNS's usage in the S3 feels incredibly forced in a "ha ha, this will definitely go viral, guys!" way, unlike those other two songs from S4 which fit naturally into the themes/plot of the season.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can't deny the emotional heft of Running Up That Hill. Episode 4 is the best episode in the entire series and the use of that song, both in terms of texture and thematic/character purpose is 10/10. It hit me in every way imaginable.

That said, Master of Puppets is pure catharsis. It's a worthy runner up and deserves all the bit of praise it gets. It's an incredibly rewatchable sequence.

Neverending Story is at the bottom but it was fun and y'all are just prudes. The image of a car being chased by a giant flesh monster abomination as these two kids are just singing it over the radio is genuinely hilarious. It's the apex of the surface driven 80s pandering that the series had done for three straight seasons and it turns around to being every bit as funny an encapsulation of the series until that point.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I reminded my girlfriend about the neverending story scene and she almost punched me

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I'm sick of them all. Metallica one was at least cheesy enough and fit with the character but I'm kinda over stranger things nostalgia flexes and I'm surprised more aren't either. I spent more time laughing at the writing in the finale then paying attention to the next 80s song they put in it. (Just kinda hate the need to over explain things and the darth Vader villain)

But running up the hill, which is a fine song on its own and good, is getting so overplayed on social and IRL in stores/social circles lol I just never want to hear it again

Also how was he getting electricity to amplify his guitar in the upside down and why was it so so loud to draw monsters from miles away?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Master of Puppets > Running up the Hill > Neverending Story.

I think they overplayed Running up that Hill in later episodes.

Dec 2, 2020
I swear to god if this show makes use of any other old ass song in the final season and I have to put up with people quoting and using that said old ass song for a whole month again I will commit sudoku. The use of Neverending Story was insufferable and forced and it had all the annoying people in earth on chokehold. At least the Running Up That Hill scene was legit good but gosh do fans of this show make anything and everything feel tired 3 seconds after going viral.

And yes I'm not fun at parties, no need to ask.

Don't joke about suicide please. It's not funny in any way, shape or form.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I would have liked Master of Puppets better if it was Ride the Lightning or For Whom the Bell Tolls. Those two songs just fit the theme of what was happening so much better.

For Whom the Bell Tolls seriously because of how important Vecna's stupid clock chiming was.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Running Up that Hill > Master of Puppets > basically everything else > Neverending Story

TNS's usage in the S3 feels incredibly forced in a "ha ha, this will definitely go viral, guys!" way, unlike those other two songs from S4 which fit naturally into the themes/plot of the season.
I agree with all of this. Season 3 just leaned way too hard into the viral Twitter/memes stuff, and so much of it suffered as a result. Feels like a totally different show compared to the other seasons and it reminded me of WW84 — which is certainly not a good thing lol

Anyway, Kate Bush wins this poll in a landslide.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I would have liked Master of Puppets better if it was Ride the Lightning or For Whom the Bell Tolls. Those two songs just fit the theme of what was happening so much better.

For Whom the Bell Tolls seriously because of how important Vecna's stupid clock chiming was.
But Vecna is literally a puppet master.

For your health.

Oct 28, 2017
Running up that Hill is possibly the greatest scene in all of Stranger Things. Sandie Sink killed it as Max this season.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Eddie playing Master of Puppets in the Upside Down was the most metal scene ever in non-musical media so I go with that. Plus it was thematically perfect. But Sadie Sink play the hell out of the Running Up That Hill scene so that one is a very close second.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Running Up that Hill because it fit the story and was part of it.

Master of Puppets was metal as fuck but it felt super forced.

Oct 29, 2017
I fricking love Kate Bush. So as much as I loved the Master of Puppets scene, I'll go with that. However, I do think we need to give some love to the Robert Englund meets Nancy scene. Total nightmare on elm street homage.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
<--

It's actually a closer call since Running up that Hill is probably the better scene by most metrics. But Master of Puppets is my favorite song ever and I was so fucking hyped when it happened.

toutoune134

Nov 7, 2017
Master of Puppets scene was great. Running up that hill was good but lost a few points due to bad CG and Vecna jobbing and aiming like a stormtrooper. Neverending story scene was just shit.

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
Master of Puppets

Better song.
Better scene.
Better emotional payoff.
Plus, Quinn learned to play the song just for the scene. Gotta respect the grind.

Neverending Story scene is awesome and a great litmus test for whether or not someone takes themselves way too seriously.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Neverending story almost made me permanently X out and never continue the show. So it's not that. I liked the master of puppets part the most I think but damn it's close between that and Kate bush.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
The hate for the Neverending Story sequence is wild. I enjoyed it for the fun ride it was at least. It's not my favorite of the choices up there either but come on.

That being said, Kate Bush all the way!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The best song was actually Dance with the Dead's A Storm is Coming

But out of those "moments", Master of Puppets wins easily. Running Up that Hill is whatever, and The Neverending Story fucking sucks.

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember actively hating the Neverending Story scene the first time i saw it, but I just rewatched the series between parts 1 and 2 and God damn, it is awful. They could have done it at some other point and had it been cute but a bit forced; instead they chose to put it into what should be one of the tense moments of the series and absolutely jump the shark with the forced 80s reference fest that was season 3. It was BAD. (I still like season 3 tho)

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Running up that Hill with the enhanced orchestra arrangement + credit song. Really, really beautiful.

Puppets was badass, definitely, though