• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of getting it on the Ps4, as I don't really have anything to play right now.

I did play through Fallout 4 but I felt it was kinda bland. Is this the game for me?
Or do I go The Witcher instead?

Any tips for Skyrim?

Looking for something to play over the holidays.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
There are quite a few ways that you can build a character in Skyrim, but all paths lead to Stealth Archer on the first play.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Its a bethesda game. A very interaticve open world game where most things you do (sligthly) change the world.

Personally i liked the main quest althou most side quests were udnerwhelming when comapred to the previous entries. The DLC were great.

For me its at its best when you roleplay and not min -max.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
'Any tips on Skyrim'

Decide ahead of time how much time you'll spend playing each day, or else your productivity will torpedo. Be careful.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Lots of jumping up mountains.

As for tips: Unlock Become Ethereal, then jump off the Throat of the World.

Oct 29, 2017
Witcher is the better game although they are both the cream of the crop, imo.
Depends on whether you want to create a character and role play that way or get sucked into a well written story

OP
OP
Stat

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
There are quite a few ways that you can build a character in Skyrim, but all paths lead to Stealth Archer on the first play.
Is it bad that I was going to do this?

I would 1000% go with the Witcher if I were you.

I haven't played Witcher 1 or 2. So why Witcher?

Its a bethesda game. A very interaticve open world game where most things you do (sligthly) change the world.

Personally i liked the main quest althou most side quests were udnerwhelming when comapred to the previous entries. The DLC were great.

For me its at its best when you roleplay and not min -max.

Yeah I don't min/max. I turn trophies off because of it.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
It's like Fallout 4, if anything probably a little more "bland" than that. It's a fun game to get lost in. Witcher 3 is better though if you want something more interesting story-wise.

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
If there's any chance to experience first with a PSVR that would be the way to go. Immersion is on another level

OP
OP
Stat

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
If there's any chance to experience first with a PSVR that would be the way to go. Immersion is on another level
Honestly, I've never really used VR except for one quick experience but I dont like the idea of VR. I always feel its so clunky.

But I am getting a bonus?

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd honestly recommend going in as blind as you can, and look stuff up if needed. It's a great game for a holiday break. Expect to mess around and have fun. But again! Make back ups.

Embrace the stealth archer.

OP
OP
Stat

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I'd honestly recommend going in as blind as you can, and look stuff up if needed. It's a great game for a holiday break. Expect to mess around and have fun. But again! Make back ups.

Embrace the stealth archer.

why stealth archer?

There's just so much to do in this massive world that has lots of interesting places, people, and things to explore, loot, and kill
I do love loot collecting.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Get ready for a whole lot of arrows and a whole lot of knees.

It's a pretty fun game and you can expect some enjoyable atmosphere and music.

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, you. You're about to finally awake.

Tips: Have three rolling save slots in case things get super glitchy. Don't worry about doing things perfectly, don't go back and redo choices... just move on to the next thing, because there's a ton to do and find.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
OP, Skyrim and Witcher 3 are both amazing games and you won't go wrong playing either. Skyrim in particular is incredibly moddable so you can change almost anything about the game if you don't like it or if you want to spice things up the second time through. Don't pick one over the other, play both as they're different but equally worth playing.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Is the game hard? I dont want it to be a blow-over but I dont want to feel like I'm struggling.
THe game uses a system where when you enter an area enemies there are kinda scaled to your level. So theoretically the game should keep a certain dificulty curve. Pratically it mostly comes down if you have broken the game by having great items or encountering strong enemies in quick sucession.
For example trolls have a lot of regeneration but are weak to fire. If you encounter them early game you might not have the necessary DMG to kill them. There are some wizard masked that have a very high magical damage, if you have very low amgical resistance chances are that they can kill you pretty fast. Dragons can also be formidable specially if you fight more then 1.

That side the game has a dificulty slider and autosaves very regularly. Alongside this you can eat from the inventory menu and recover your health in one go so yo ucan brute force any encounter as long as the enemy can't one shot you.

Luyrar

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
go blind as u can and just get lost in the world of skyrim, is trully a great experience even after so many years.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
They are pretty different games with their own strengths. The Witcher 3 has stronger narrative and characters, they are however set in place already. Skyrim lets you shape your own character but it is based on actions, feats/accomplishments and skills. You're mostly a mute protagonist and you can choose which factions to join and what skills to get into. I think Skyrim is more fun in a sandbox, explore and run amok sort of play.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
You level up One-Handed Weapons if you hit enemies with One-Handed Weapons. Level up Archery if you hit...you get the point. The reason Stealth Archer is mentioned is that Sneaking is very overpowered when you level it up and nailing bandits in the head from far away is fun. But go in as blind as possible.

Oct 28, 2017
Stat skyrim is almost like GTA where I often found myself just messing around and making my own plot, where witcher involved me getting involved with the story and sidequests more

Both are exquisite tbh.

OP
OP
Stat

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
OP, Skyrim and Witcher 3 are both amazing games and you won't go wrong playing either. Skyrim in particular is incredibly moddable so you can change almost anything about the game if you don't like it or if you want to spice things up the second time through. Don't pick one over the other, play both as they're different but equally worth playing.

Im on the PS4. Not sure I can mod.

You level up One-Handed Weapons if you hit enemies with One-Handed Weapons. Level up Archery if you hit...you get the point. The reason Stealth Archer is mentioned is that Sneaking is very overpowered when you level it up and nailing bandits in the head from far away is fun. But go in as blind as possible.

I like that. I can't stand RPGs that force you into a thing without the ability to ever train back up

It's a Skyrim meme of how many playthroughs of the game gravitate towards being a stealth archer. You start the game with the intent of becoming a pure mage. Then you get the summon bow skill and bam. Stealth archer. That's how it usually goes for me lol.
Ahh, there are a lot of memes in here...which is great cause who doesn't like inside jokes that they don't get lol

OP
OP
Stat

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
They are pretty different games with their own strengths. The Witcher 3 has stronger narrative and characters, they are however set in place already. Skyrim lets you shape your own character but it is based on actions, feats/accomplishments and skills. You're mostly a mute protagonist and you can choose which factions to join and what skills to get into. I think Skyrim is more fun in a sandbox, explore and run amok sort of play.

That's my worry. Im not like "go buck wild". Like even when I play GTA V, I typically line up the main and side missions. I dont really screw around

If you didn't like fallout 4 you won't like this.
Please explain!

JMTF

Aug 27, 2018
Just try to level a combat skill and maybe a armor skill, if you are one of these players that like to craft lots of stuff.
The level up system is like FF2 but the enemies scale like FF8 , nowadays they moved a missable thing from a main quest location to a cave at the end of it. Stealth archer was low maitenance style, and the enemy ai goes into whatever mode after some time. combine with the stealth bonus from bethesda games, and you turn into a variation of sniper in most of them.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Im on the PS4. Not sure I can mod.

I like that. I can't stand RPGs that force you into a thing without the ability to ever train back up

Ahh, there are a lot of memes in here...which is great cause who doesn't like inside jokes that they don't get lol
Consoles get mods for Skyrim too, at least PS4 and Xbox. If you play Skyrim I'd highly recommend the unofficial patch even if you don't get anything else as that will fix bugs that Bethesda never bothered to fix.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
play it, skyrim is like 2010s gaming 101. definitely worth playing assuming skyrim SE ps4 goes for like $20 now or something

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
why stealth archer?

I do love loot collecting.

Every Elder Scrolls game since Morrowind has one class that ends up more OP than others based on the stats.

In Skyrim it's stealth archer/stealth blade
In Oblivion it's magic.
In Morrowind it's alchemy with a bit of magic.
In ESO it's Mage Warrior.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'd say play Skyrim if you want more of a "choose your own adventure" type of game with a decent main story to go along with it, or Witcher 3 if you want a great narrative experience but less freedom overall.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Skyrim is good but Witcher is better overall (I say this as a huge Elder Scrolls fan, with Morrowind my favorite game ever).

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly not super impressive nowadays - so many RPGs and other major titles of the past decade have cribbed from it, iterated on it, riffed on its ideas. It feels extremely basic in comparison, just the pure "modern WRPG experience" in a nutshell. Still fun, still engaging, but sort of bland.

I can't imagine playing it without mods, personally, because there's a lot of QOL issues that crop up.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Skyrim is more on the side of world simulation than Fallout 4 is, so I'm not sure. I wasn't a big fan of Fallout 4 but I adore Skyrim. The quest design and world are so much better.
Not necessarily true.

My friend who hates Fallout is a die hard Elder Scrolls fan.
I 100% agree with this, while they share some similarities the games are different enough that a person could easily enjoy one and not the other. Skyrim for example has much better backstory, world lore, factions, and exploration.