• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm.. I do have a Wii U and there are some virtual console games I'd like to pick up before the service goes down. I could get 7/Blazing blade if I want to go back to earlier games in the series after 3H.
The DS remake of the original Fire Emblem (Shadow Dragon) is also on the Wii U Virtual Console, in case you'd also be interested in that. It's $9.99 USD I think.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Don't get me wrong, 3H is the best game on the Switch for me but I felt a lot closer to the Awakening characters.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Awakening's ok at best. Decent if it's your first FE, but the more of them you play, the more it's glaring problems start to pop up. 3H is pretty incredible though, coming from a series vet.

Hmm.. I do have a Wii U and there are some virtual console games I'd like to pick up before the service goes down. I could get 7/Blazing blade if I want to go back to earlier games in the series after 3H.

It's a very fun game that's also a great entry point into the series, with some fun storytelling as long as you don't look too deep into what's happening. And by that I mean you don't stop to think about what you're actually doing for more than 2 seconds and just let the plot play itself out.

Just play three houses and forget the other FE games. The only good FE games are back on GameBoy Advance anyway

We really gonna disrespect Kaga like this?

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
It's a very fun game that's also a great entry point into the series, with some fun storytelling as long as you don't look too deep into what's happening. And by that I mean you don't stop to think about what you're actually doing for more than 2 seconds and just let the plot play itself out.
Which is why Sacred Stones is better!

Better characters, as well. I'd admit that Three Houses has by far the best characterization in the series, but Sacred Stones is second only to it in this regard.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
While fully acknowledging it's many flaws, I will also say that FE6 is an incredible game, my personal favorite in the series. It has some bs, but it also has some of my favorite maps of any FE game. It's definitely not as beginner friendly as FE7/8, but it is a great game in of itself.

Better characters, as well. I'd admit that Three Houses has by far the best characterization in the series, but Sacred Stones is second only to it in this regard.

I enjoy FE7, especially HHM, just a bit more than SS personally as story isn't really my priority and SS's HM is kind of a letdown, but I will absolutely agree with you on the story/characters being significantly better than FE7's. Probably one of the best antagonists in the series too, right up there with 3H's BL route and FE4's imo. Meanwhile FE7's the clear frontrunner for worst antagonists in the series and it ain't even remotely close.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Blazing Blade is decent, but Sacred Stones is the better game. Better story, better characters, and it's the first game in the series that has branching promotions. It's also easier than Blazing Blade if you're intimidated by the old games having no casual mode.

Sorry what? Not in a million years. Plus SS doesn't have Hector so it automatically loses.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
If you're willing to, may as well start with Awakening. And if you like Awakening then you can get Shadows of Valentia.

Three House isn't going anywhere if you don't play it right this second.

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I've just played my first game in the series and it was Echoes SOV.
Truly enjoyed it and bought Conquest even before I was done with it but I still have to start it.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Blazing Blade is decent, but Sacred Stones is the better game. Better story, better characters, and it's the first game in the series that has branching promotions. It's also easier than Blazing Blade if you're intimidated by the old games having no casual mode.

If he plays on Wii U he can save state at the start of each battle

Sacred Stones is easier but they're both great to be fair

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
None, you start on the gba, then go to the gamecube, wii, theres no such thing as fire emblem on consoles with "DS" on them and then you play Three Houses

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Don't get me wrong, 3H is the best game on the Switch for me but I felt a lot closer to the Awakening characters.
Yeah Im not sure what it is, but Awakening's characters were really charming to me.
I feel like the supports and cutscenes were more entertaining. Robin is better than Byleth because she/he talks.
Three Houses' supports are carried by Bernie, Hubert and Raphael. It has some good supports, but like 1/3 of the students were kind of boring-normal.
3H is still the best one to play now tho because of the gameplay improvements.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
They're both fine entry points, although I would say FE Three Houses & FE for GBA stand FAR above Awakening for me personally. I'd recommend Three Houses out of those two.

Oct 26, 2017
Since OP's question was so thoroughly answered in a couple of posts, may I hijack it?

I _love_ Suikoden but obviously we're not getting anymore of those. I tried Awakening before but it didn't quite scratch that itch. Also tried Trails of Cold Steel and dropped it pretty quickly. Is 3 Houses a better Suikoden surrogate than those?

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say awakening is better because I really distlike the mechanics between combat in 3H,

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Wish this thread popped up this week-end because I just bought my first Fire Emblem and it's Echoes Shadow of Valentia haha

You didn't make a mistake! Shadows of Valentia is one of my favorite games in the series, and I'm a long time fan who's played all but one. It pioneered the rewind feature and full voice acting that Three Houses continued, making it just as modernized and accessible.

Both the localized GBA games are very worth playing after you finish Three Houses. They're timeless. And like I said above, Shadows of Valentia (3DS) is also an excellent entry that'll provide the most similar gameplay experience to Three Houses, in terms of QoL and mechanics.

Gonna have to hard disagree. :P

Sacred Stones' story is a bit more boilerplate than Blazing Blade's, and I've never found Eirika and Ephraim as compelling as Lyn, Hector, or even Eliwood. Sacred Stones' best characters were Duessel and Selena... and, who am I kidding, L'Arachel and Dozla.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
If you would rather play on the Switch then go with Three Houses. You can always go back to Awakening if you want.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Download the Famicom Virtual Console on Switch and play the Japanese NES Fire Emblem first. You are a casual if you don't start there.

Three Houses is better, but Awakening is still amazing with a fantastic cast. Starting there wouldn't be a bad decision.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Since OP's question was so thoroughly answered in a couple of posts, may I hijack it?

I _love_ Suikoden but obviously we're not getting anymore of those. I tried Awakening before but it didn't quite scratch that itch. Also tried Trails of Cold Steel and dropped it pretty quickly. Is 3 Houses a better Suikoden surrogate than those?

...Mm, if you're looking for a darker story with more death and consequences, yes, Three Houses is better than Awakening, which had a more whimsical tone.

I've only played the first two Suikodens, and there are similar aspects in Three Houses—a castle hub where you talk to everyone between missions, a second half that's very war-focused—but I wouldn't say it's a Suikoden surrogate. It's great in its own right, though, and it might well scratch an itch.

Have you played Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSP) or Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PSP/mobile)? They're the apex of storytelling in the tactical RPG sub-genre.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
Play any of them! I started with Sacred Stones with the 3DS Ambassador games, and I've been hooked since.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
The DS remake of the original Fire Emblem (Shadow Dragon) is also on the Wii U Virtual Console, in case you'd also be interested in that. It's $9.99 USD I think.

And a game, I feel, receives so much undeserved hate. I still go back to it from time to time. I think it's a great revisiting of the original Fire Emblem.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Three House is a better game, but Awakening is so fun. I could hold off TMS until you are more into Fire Emblem, but as a Megaten-like (kinda, because it feels like a very Megaten game but clothed with FE flavor) is very good.

Apr 19, 2018
If you're looking to play for the tactical/strategy aspect of the series, I would say Awakening is the better way to go. It gets you into battles at a faster clip, and its combat system is more intricate as it hinges on the iconic weapon triangle system, something that Three Houses does away with. The challenge is also higher, though not insurmountably so, thanks to being able to adjust difficulty -- and it's better paced.

Three Houses has the better story, but at the cost of the included RPG/school simulation elements, which, to me at least, felt overbearing at times. Battles felt less satisfying, in part because they play out more straightforward without the aforementioned weapon triangle system and simplified mission objectives, and the challenge, even on Normal and Hard, felt disproportionately easy. (Maddening, by comparison, feels a little too unfair.)

An an entry point into the series, you really can't go wrong with either title, but I do feel Awakening is more conducive to being a more genuine Fire Emblem experience.

Last edited:

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
And a game, I feel, receives so much undeserved hate. I still go back to it from time to time. I think it's a great revisiting of the original Fire Emblem.

It's uglier than sinning
I cant comprehend who decided to go with that "artstyle" for the DS games but they suck. Hard. Would even recommend the gimped SNES remake of 1 over the DS just cause its so goddamn ugly

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Three Houses is a good place to start. It's really accessible and the mechanics of the series are pretty easy to learn.

I'd recommend playing through some of the older ones too if you like 3H; they still hold up today and they're not so far removed from the FE formula to make them unbearable.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Awakening, 3H is too far from the standard series and, while still being a great game, could give you the wrong idea.
Awakening is in the middle between the traditional and the modern Fire Emblem and it's pretty good itself. Go for it, though maybe one of the GBA games would be a better choice.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I would say 3 Houses, BUT you should still check out Awakening — it's really a quality game with great characters.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
It doesn't matter where you start, but Awakening is much more concentrated and battle-focused than Three Houses and offers more challenge as well.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
If you're looking to play for the tactical/strategy aspect of the series, I would say Awakening is the better way to go. It gets you into battles at a faster clip, and its combat system is more intricate as it hinges on the iconic weapon triangle system, something that Three Houses does away with. The challenge is also higher, though not insurmountably so, thanks to being able to adjust difficulty -- and it's better paced.

Gotta disagree here, aside from pacing. Awakening and Three Houses both notoriously suffer from inadequate/poorly designed difficulty settings (Hard being underwhelming, huge gulf between Hard and Lunatic/Maddening), as well as bland overall map design. Awakening isn't really more challenging, except insofar as featuring same turn reinforcements with no rewinding, which is to say its challenge is artificial, as well as easily breakable with the pair-up mechanic.

While I think Three Houses is a better introductory experience than Awakening--and better experience overall--if OP wants well-designed challenge and diverse map/objective design afterward, they would be best off looking elsewhere than either of these entries. FE7, and to a slightly lesser extent FE8, would be leagues better for those factors.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
There's not much difference in the price I can get them for new. I think I'd slightly prefer to play on Switch but willing to go for Awakening if it's the better choice.

Or wildcard choice, should I get Tokyo Mirage Sessions instead?

Yes. I started Awakening, and while I liked it and enjoyed the story, immediately swapped to Three Houses and didn't look back. I mean I will eventually, but it is hard to go back once you've enjoyed the systems in place.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Can't go wrong with any localized Fire Emblem game as a first option.

Three Houses is probably the best overall package, but it's not perfect like some people will lead you to believe. The game's structure and pacing allow you to sink massive hours into it, but you also end up playing through loads of recycled content and mundane Monastery activities.

You can get a more focused experience by playing the GBA games or GC/Wii games if you have those devices.

Awakening is a serviceable beginner title, but it's not as good as many others in the series. It just shows you that even low-tier FE games still have higher quality than the average video game.

Stevo

Jan 29, 2019
I'd say Three Houses but take a quick look at Shadows of Valentia on 3DS to see if it interests you.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's better, even though the battle system gets a bit too easy as the game goes on.
To be fair, the same can be said of Awakening. By like chapter 4 a Robin paired with Chrom can easily solo the entire game on every difficulty below lunatic. Honestly every other character is pretty much just a liability.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Awakening. Three Houses is great but the investment is enormous if you actually want more than what feels like a third of a storyline. If you're up for playing the game three times then hey go nuts, but as a First Toe Dipping in the franchise I still prefer to recommend Awakening.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Either one's fine, but Three Houses is the exciting new hotness so it'd probably be the better choice. And as far as the 3DS games go, I think Shadows of Valentia's the best one... a lot of people forget it exists since it's a remake and came out so late into the system's lifespan.

Though definitely pick up Tokyo Mirage Sessions when you can. Especially if you like other Atlus JRPGs like Persona and SMT, or think you might like them.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I started with Awakening and have played every installment since. You really can't go wrong with either.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Awakening is a great game in terms of interface and design. The story is, and I mean this, abysmal like, really, really badly done. Just basic writing 101 problems all over the place. It has a very Resident Evil 6 ish story where things are happening and none of it has impact and if you're looking for details they do not exist.

Characters are crying about things that aren't established well, major characters will sacrifice themselves with no buildup, that sort of stuff and the main antagonist has zero motivations. It's just a story where "things happen".

Three Houses inherits most of the features found in Awakening but it has some performance issues and implementation issues, but overall it's more worth it with an actually well written story, and 3 of them that last up to 80 hours each.

Oct 26, 2017
...Mm, if you're looking for a darker story with more death and consequences, yes, Three Houses is better than Awakening, which had a more whimsical tone.

I've only played the first two Suikodens, and there are similar aspects in Three Houses—a castle hub where you talk to everyone between missions, a second half that's very war-focused—but I wouldn't say it's a Suikoden surrogate. It's great in its own right, though, and it might well scratch an itch.

Have you played Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSP) or Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PSP/mobile)? They're the apex of storytelling in the tactical RPG sub-genre.

I only briefly played FFT and it didn't really grab me, it was too oppressive early on. I did like Vandal Hearts back in the day though and I'm not opposed to the tactics genre. I'll probably give Three Houses a shot... once I find some time for a huge game.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, OP, start with Fates. If you can finish it (good luck) then i can absolutely tell you its only going to get marginally better.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Three Houses is the most accessible entry of them all, if only due to the ease of which one can turn back time to re-so a poor turn more times than you could in Gaiden. It helps that it has some of the best character writing in the series, even if the overarching story leaves a lot to be desired. The one fatal flaw I found is that the gameplay, while boasting a lot of great ideas, often fails to make use of its more complex additions like battallions or fails to properly rework mechanics from previous games (combat arts, turning the pair up system into adjacents).

It's a good, albeit incredibly messy, entry to start out with, if only so that you can prepare yourself for whatever remake the series has in store for its 30th anniversary.
It's going to be Seisen No Keifu aka. the most problematic one.
Start with 3 Houses, then be disappointed by every other iteration.
This is as demonstrably false as people claiming that Edelgard being right/justified in her actions. It utterly fails the tactical component of being a tactical role-playing game.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Awakening's ok at best. Decent if it's your first FE, but the more of them you play, the more it's glaring problems start to pop up. 3H is pretty incredible though, coming from a series vet.

We really gonna disrespect Kaga like this?

Eh gonna disagree here. Every fire emblem pretty much has flaws usually to rushed Dev time.

I think Awakening is the better game and Feth is the better story, experience.

I also think feth is a pretty bad intro to fire emblem as it's very very different to past fire emblems (to be fair I love the fact that it's very different but at the same time there's a lot of comforts in feth that you won't get in previous games).
You didn't make a mistake! Shadows of Valentia is one of my favorite games in the series, and I'm a long time fan who's played all but one. It pioneered the rewind feature and full voice acting that Three Houses continued, making it just as modernized and accessible.

Both the localized GBA games are very worth playing after you finish Three Houses. They're timeless. And like I said above, Shadows of Valentia (3DS) is also an excellent entry that'll provide the most similar gameplay experience to Three Houses, in terms of QoL and mechanics.

Gonna have to hard disagree. :P

Sacred Stones' story is a bit more boilerplate than Blazing Blade's, and I've never found Eirika and Ephraim as compelling as Lyn, Hector, or even Eliwood. Sacred Stones' best characters were Duessel and Selena... and, who am I kidding, L'Arachel and Dozla.

To be brutally blunt, I like blazing sword alot but the Fe gba games are boringly iterative in their design. I'm pretty sure that most gba fans here would rather play gba rom hacks than actually see the series evolve

I do think Blazing Sword is easily the most inspired of the bunch. Fe6 is too faithful to Marth games, and Sacred Stones is so by the numbers (even though it's gaiden inspirations are pretty obvious).

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Go with Three Houses first, and if you liked the gameplay and want more, then go with Fates Conquest. Just ignore the story of that one. The gameplay of Conquest is superior to Awakening and Three Houses (and Echoes too). Unless you really want to play Awakening, then go Awakening, then Fates Conquest. Going back to Awakening after Fates is kind of hard.

Last edited:

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I only briefly played FFT and it didn't really grab me, it was too oppressive early on. I did like Vandal Hearts back in the day though and I'm not opposed to the tactics genre. I'll probably give Three Houses a shot... once I find some time for a huge game.

If you dropped Tocs because of the bloat, then I would easily not recommend feth as feth's academy is alot like that