• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

koolaroo

Dec 27, 2017
How can companies get away with just saying "We can't tell you" if it's your account? I've seen other companies do that too, but it shouldn't be allowed. You should be able to know why you can't use your account.
I kinda wish this sort of thing wasn't legal. I've had very similar problems with amazon where they wouldn't tell me why my account was closed. They said something like "because we can't verify your identity we can't talk with you about this issue" and when I offered to verify in any way they declined. Took going to the bbb before amazon would give me the money they owed me that was trapped on the banned account.

Big tech companies can have as awful of support as they want with no recourse for customers.

Oct 28, 2017
OP: I cannot send money on Facebook, why is that?

Facebook: You broke the rules!

OP: When did this happen?

OP: But how? When my Occulus account merges with Facebook, I want to be able to buy games.

Facebook: You broke the rules, goodbye!

They never answered a single question basically, just auto auto auto response.

OP
OP
grendelrt

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017

OP: But how? When my Occulus account merges with Facebook, I want to be able to buy games.

That's basically what I sent back in all caps because I got so frustrated. They literally haven't answered a single thing.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I've been needing to delete my Facebook account for a while, but too many of my other accounts are tied to it.

But yeah, fuck Facebook.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I went to donate, and it just says payments disabled. It said please submit a ticket for questions, so I submitted a ticket with the payments area and said why am I disabled. They said your account is tagged for possible fraud, and I replied I don't think I have every bought anything on facebook, can you tell me when this fraud occured. Since then they just keep sending me a canned reply no matter what I ask, including asking about if my payments are disabled, what happens when you force merge my oculus account. Same canned response, nothing new.

went to donate WHAT? to whom? via what site? outside links to exactly who you're donating to and how they're requesting donations, how they process payment, would really help here.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017

But what rules did you break? I would have asked that. Not when...

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I bought a Quest 2 and its incredible, but stuff like this really concerns me.
They need more competition with better control over its community. If they bleed users because a better platform comes along,
they will be forced to improve

OP
OP
grendelrt

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
went to donate WHAT? to whom? via what site? outside links to exactly who you're donating to and how they're requesting donations, how they process payment, would really help here.
Its a donation link directly integrated into FB, there is no external factor. It uses your facebook account to pay and your facebook information to log it. It is a facebook charity event that uses their event system. The charity was Extra Life. Like its all facebook, nothing else. I would post a link or pic but it has my friends personal info on it, so dont want do that.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
This has long been the problem with the fact Oculus was bought by a non-hardware, non customer facing company. There just isn't any kind of infrastructure or spirit of whats needed to run a hardware and software business over there, and they seemingly have no intention to staff up in that area either. I guess Zuck just assumes everythings going to just magically come together or get done by wageless AI soon enough? Facebook itself barely seems like it works anymore too since the most recent shakeup version.

I'm glad Facebook have continued to fund some of the cooler Oculus projects (the art applications particularly), but its hard not to wonder about what coulda been if Sony, Microsoft, or even Amazon scooped them up instead.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Its a donation link directly integrated into FB, there is no external factor. It uses your facebook account to pay and your facebook information to log it. It is a facebook charity event that uses their event system. The charity was Extra Life. Like its all facebook, nothing else. I would post a link or pic but it has my friends personal info on it, so dont want do that.

without a URL that anyone can publicly double check, there's no way to understand what happened here, or whether this money might have been funneled improperly (meaning, a fake "charity" event used to launder money or move it around in ways that violate FB's TOS). my email address is listed earlier if you want to securely send private information that can be verified.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

He's trying to help you out here because he has a voice that can bring attention to this, so give as much detail as possible, no matter how small and be specific. It'll help.

OP
OP
grendelrt

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
without a URL that anyone can publicly double check, there's no way to understand what happened here, or whether this money might have been funneled improperly (meaning, a fake "charity" event used to launder money or move it around in ways that violate FB's TOS). my email address is listed earlier if you want to securely send private information that can be verified.
I'll email you. The event wasnt fake, its yearly thing that he has done for multiple years, he had 2K in donations this year. My account was already disable BEFORE trying to donate, as in the donate button didnt exist so it has no link even to his charity event, may account was just disabled.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing a bunch of horror stories from people on Reddit's VR subreddits that are getting their accounts banned and they have no idea why. Someone that made zero public posts was banned despite them saying their information was accurate.

Like... I just cannot fathom how badly they are fucking this up. I have a Rift and I have an Oculus login that I will keep for as long as I can before I'm forced to merge into a FB account. I just hope that by that time I'll have moved on to another VR device so that I won't have to deal with the FB BS any longer.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing a bunch of horror stories from people on Reddit's VR subreddits that are getting their accounts banned and they have no idea why. Someone that made zero public posts was banned despite them saying their information was accurate.

Like... I just cannot fathom how badly they are fucking this up. I have a Rift and I have an Oculus login that I will keep for as long as I can before I'm forced to merge into a FB account. I just hope that by that time I'll have moved on to another VR device so that I won't have to deal with the FB BS any longer.
On the reddit fairly frequently for the quest and most of those issues have died down by now there at least. I believe FB made some public statements regarding multiple accounts, bans and things of that nature and oculus support seemed like they resolved most immediate reports. That aside, I would greatly prefer to not have to use a Facebook account to sign in in the first place, so I can certainly empathize with the OP. It just creates unnecessary issues that weren't present before.

poncle

Oct 28, 2017
London
My Quest has turned into an off-line Beat Saber machine for a while now, and I'm ok with that.
I'll side load some indie content if I ever want to play something else on it, fuck Facebook very much.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
If I had any doubts before, they are certainly gone now. What a bummer that the tech is stuck with FB.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
And this is why the Rift S will be the last piece of Facebook owned tech I'll ever buy (and even then I bought it used so they never got a cent). Not willing to migrate my account to a Facebook one, they're just the absolute worst.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
The only kickstarter I ever gave money to was 10 bucks to Oculus. Man, I feel fucking scammed every day.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
And this is why the Rift S will be the last piece of Facebook owned tech I'll ever buy (and even then I bought it used so they never got a cent). Not willing to migrate my account to a Facebook one, they're just the absolute worst.

Same, except for the used part. The last game I bought from them was that Marvel one a couple years ago, and that'll be the last one ever.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
On the reddit fairly frequently for the quest and most of those issues have died down by now there at least. I believe FB made some public statements regarding multiple accounts, bans and things of that nature and oculus support seemed like they resolved most immediate reports. That aside, I would greatly prefer to not have to use a Facebook account to sign in in the first place, so I can certainly empathize with the OP. It just creates unnecessary issues that weren't present before.

They fixed mine (created for Quest 2) and gave me some promo credit for the hassle. But I hope to fuck a wireless alternative develops in the next year or so. If there's still no viable wireless HMDs by the time Quest 3 launches, the entire industry will have failed miserably.