• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to donate money to a friend's charity stream for Extra Life Children's Miracle Network, I found my payments were disabled so I emailed support. This is how my support request has gone so far, and remember everyone they are going to force merge everyone's Oculus accounts to Facebook!

What you submitted
Saturday, November 7, 2020 at 9:09 AM
Which product are you experiencing issues with?

Charity Donations
Please provide us any additional information you believe would help our investigation.

Says I am disabled for sending donations , don't know why
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 12:44 AM
Hi XXXX,

Thank you for the reply but we can not provide additional details.

Your payments are permanently disabled on your account for violating our Community Payments Terms. You can still use your Facebook account normally, but please be aware that with payments deactivated, you'll no longer be able to do things like purchase ads, donate to charity or send money to others.

For more information on our Terms, please visit the link below:

Facebook

Thanks,
The Facebook Payments Team
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your reply
Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 9:48 AM
When did this suspected fraud occur exactly? I don't think I have ever bought anything on Facebook.

Yesterday at 2:44 AM
Hi XXXX,

Your payments are permanently disabled on your account for violating our Community Payments Terms. You can still use your Facebook account normally, but please be aware that with payments deactivated, you'll no longer be able to do things like purchase ads, donate to charity or send money to others.

Facebook

Thanks,

Your reply
Yesterday at 8:09 AM
What is going to happen to my account when you merge my oculus account then, I own games on that account, will I no longer be able to buy oculus games? You cannot tell me when fraud happened, I have never purchased anything on Facebook, this is an issue that needs to be resolved.

Today at 2:24 AM
Hi XXXX,

Facebook

Thanks,

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
"You broke the rules!"
"How?"
"We can't say, but you broke the rules!"
"How do I fix it?"
"You can't - all we can say is that you broke the rules."

Sounds about right for Fuckerberg's little empire. I'd rather go without VR than ever spend a single dollar on anything connected to Facebook.

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
User Banned (1 Day): Drive-by Trolling
*jumps out of wireless Half-Life: Alyx*

Too late. Already bought the Quest 2. Coolest piece of tech I've ever owned.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Agree, their shitty billing system, as well as their degrading of western democracy, are great reasons not to support Facebook.

OP
OP
grendelrt

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Hold on you were talking to bot? From Facebook replies it looks like it? Or they were just copying and pasting "text book" responses. Sorry mate to hear that you got a problem with them.
This is directly through their support system, where you submit the issue. Have to wait like a day for each response.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
You should be very, very clear as to exactly what happened. This is unclear about how your charity donation was processed, when you attached FB to your Oculus account, and so on. You are welcome to email me all of the details for no particular reason, as well. (My first name, Sam, at arstechnica dot com)

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
So a permanent underclass of Facebook citizens, huh? Cool, cool. So glad I left them years ago. But they clearly need regulation , cause it could get uglier.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The organization's support team has modeled itself after Zuckerberg quite well - robotic, soulless, and useless.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
How can companies get away with just saying "We can't tell you" if it's your account? I've seen other companies do that too, but it shouldn't be allowed. You should be able to know why you can't use your account.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, why did they disable your payments? Do you have any idea or are you really totally oblivious?

Facebook

Your best bet is to find a friend or friend of a friend who works there and can submit an internal support request (forget what they're called), which will get your case reviewed by a real person. If you weren't doing anything that violates their terms they'll reverse it.
How can companies get away with just saying "We can't tell you" if it's your account? I've seen other companies do that too, but it shouldn't be allowed. You should be able to know why you can't use your account.
They don't want to tell you how they caught you / what they caught you doing, in case you're violating their terms in multiple ways, so you don't get any closer to understanding their detection methods. Unfortunately, in a system with billions of users and even more transactions, there will be false positives.

Jun 17, 2018

I mean, it's absolutely acceptable to enjoy the hardware you own and acknowledge that Facebook is a piece of shit company run by zuckercunt.

My Facebook interaction is non existent and my account is there to enable me to carry on playing games via the quest. I'm praying that something awful happens to the company so that they have to sell Oculus.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The way they have done this is really fucked, and merging Oculus accounts with Facebook accounts has been a shitshow. Your situation is really fucked up OP.

I'm really glad I got a Vive and wireless adapter for it instead of going for Oculus.

*boots up wireless Half-Life Alyx in first gen Vive, which does not require Facebook*

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds shitty but I will still buy the few Oculus exclusives I am interested in.

Also standalone VR headset is a game changer.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
This whole fiasco just reinforces that dealing with a Facebook is just not a great idea. Yeah, it may work right now, it may work a month from now, but in a year, you may get booted and have no recourse essentially.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Oculus has great, cheap hardware. Very impressive how much they're subsidizing it. That said, yeah you shouldn't be buying from them. They are a more troubling company than a thousand THQ Nordics.

Aug 30, 2020
Such an incompetent forced change to merge FB and Oculus and done as sloppily as possible. You are basically guaranteed to lose all your purchases and the ability to use any non jail broken software at some point.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
They don't want to tell you how they caught you / what they caught you doing, in case you're violating their terms in multiple ways, so you don't get any closer to understanding their detection methods. Unfortunately, in a system with billions of users and even more transactions, there will be false positives.
I see, that makes sense - still though, I'd hate to be in this situation. There seems like nothing that you can do as a customer to fix things even if you didn't do anything wrong. All cases like this should be reviewed by humans. It may take a while, but it should at least be possible to get a human to review what happened.

BabaaBooey

Jul 20, 2020
Seriously fuck Facebook! This is exactly the reason I'm not purchasing another Oculus device despite my love for my Rift CV1. OP if you are looking for a PCVR headset, I recommend you looking into the HP Reverb G2.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see, that makes sense - still though, I'd hate to be in this situation. There seems like nothing that you can do as a customer to fix things even if you didn't do anything wrong. All cases like this should be reviewed by humans. It may take a while, but it should at least be possible to get a human to review what happened.
We don't really have any details from OP on what lead to this, just their word. FB's support process does usually go through human review. That also fails at times, I've definitely seen it a handful of times, specifically in Ad approvals with misfires on content restrictions/etc. It's a super frustrating experience when you feel you're talking to a wall.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Those replies are so mechanical and useless that I can't even tell if you were ever talking to an actual human.

Did they just plug some AI chatbot into their support system?

OP
OP
grendelrt

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
You should be very, very clear as to exactly what happened. This is unclear about how your charity donation was processed, when you attached FB to your Oculus account, and so on. You are welcome to email me all of the details for no particular reason, as well. (My first name, Sam, at arstechnica dot com)
So, why did they disable your payments? Do you have any idea or are you really totally oblivious?

Facebook

Your best bet is to find a friend or friend of a friend who works there and can submit an internal support request (forget what they're called), which will get your case reviewed by a real person. If you weren't doing anything that violates their terms they'll reverse it.

I went to donate, and it just says payments disabled. It said please submit a ticket for questions, so I submitted a ticket with the payments area and said why am I disabled. They said your account is tagged for possible fraud, and I replied I don't think I have every bought anything on facebook, can you tell me when this fraud occured. Since then they just keep sending me a canned reply no matter what I ask, including asking about if my payments are disabled, what happens when you force merge my oculus account. Same canned response, nothing new.