• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Hello,
Just moved in to a new place and getting insane networking issues with games.
The router and modem is in the second floor and I'm using internet via wifi via a repeater in the first floor. Bringing the router to the first floor is not an option neither is a wired connection to my room
This house is old so I'm actually getting the same performance via WiFi and powerline.
Would a MoCA adapter fix the issue as there is a coax outlet in my room and will $150 be enough?
Edit:
Planning on buying 2 of these and a splitter. Would that be enough or do people recommend another product?

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have three actiontec MOCA adapters in my house and they're GREAT.

Full speed, no packetless, no lag, nada. I highly recommend. Feel free to DM if you run into issues.

Last edited:

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just to further my last post, I replaced my AV2000 power line adapters with MOCA and the difference is night and day. Your use case sounds very similar to mine.

They're honestly home-networking's best kept secret short of doing ethernet pulls through the walls.

Also, the MOCA 2.5 might be overkill for you. Most devices only support 1gbps max, 10/100/1000 -- unless you have 10Gig ports on your router/modem and/or home PC, you could save a few bucks going with a MOCA 2.0 adapter that runs 1gbps, since not many devices will ever fully utilize 2.5gbps on the LAN. and if your internet is less than 1gbps (i.e. most anything not fibre), then you won't magically get 2gbps internet or anything.

Oct 27, 2017
I love mine. Haven't had any issues for years now, and the speed is perfectly stable. Don't know why more people don't use Moca.

OP
OP
Mozendo

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Thanks everyone!

Also, the MOCA 2.5 might be overkill for you. Most devices only support 1gbps max, 10/100/1000 -- unless you have 10Gig ports on your router/modem and/or home PC, you could save a few bucks going with a MOCA 2.0 adapter that runs 1gbps, since not many devices will ever fully utilize 2.5gbps on the LAN. and if your internet is less than 1gbps (i.e. most anything not fibre), then you won't magically get 2gbps internet or anything.
I was browsing and this seemed the cheapest option. Do you know of anything cheaper for a pair or can you a recommended seutp with everything included?

Also just want to double check it's
wall coax - <-> splitter <-> Moca adapter < - > ethernet <-> modem/router
For the outgoing MoCa adapter right?

Sorry for the question never dealt with MoCA adapters

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
MoCA is amazing! I used to have powerline adapters and every now and then they would suddenly randomly drop the connection out of nowhere. Replaced them with MoCA since my condo already had coax outlets in every room and they've been flawless! They're a bit pricey but so worth it!

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thanks everyone!

I was browsing and this seemed the cheapest option. Do you know of anything cheaper for a pair or can you a recommended seutp with everything included?

Also just want to double check it's
wall coax - <-> splitter <-> Moca adapter < - > ethernet <-> modem/router
For the outgoing MoCa adapter right?

Sorry for the question never dealt with MoCA adapters

Amazon.com: Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter, 2 Pack (ECB6200K02), Black: Computers & Accessories

Buy Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter, 2 Pack (ECB6200K02), Black: Everything Else - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

Looks like the price difference is minimal, but hey.

Make sure your coax splitters are at least 5-2400mhz, you can find them higher but that's likely overkill. It's the range you need so that if you're running TV over the line too that you won't get signal noise/drops.

For the MoCA adapter near your modem/router

If you have a digital cable/Satellite receiver and need to feed video signal through the house too:

Cable provider input / Satellite box Coax Output > 2 Way splitter single input >
Output A goes to the COAX-IN on one of the MoCA adapters, then ethernet cable into your router/modem.
Output B goes into your wall port to feed the rest of the house / other rooms. This ensures both internet and video signal get routed through the rest of the house.

MoCA TV out connects to your TV/STB if necessary.

If you don't have cable provider / Satellite receiver that needs to be hooked up or fed anywhere else to the house:

Connect the Wall coax directly to the COAX-IN on the Moca Adapter, and ethernet cable into your router/modem. Do not worry about TV out or adding a splitter on this adapter.

For the MoCA adapter in your destination room:

Connect your Wall coax to the COAX-IN on the destination MoCA adapter, and ethernet into your PC/Device.

If you used a splitter on the previous one to carry a TV signal over the line, then simply use the TV OUT on the MoCA adapter and connect it to your TV/STB in the destination room.

The rookie mistake a lot of people make is connecting the splitters to the TV-OUT, or using the TV-OUT port to send the signal through the house. This port strips all ethernet capabilities and won't provide a connection.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
I use this one:

Amazon.com: goCoax MoCA 2.5 Adapter for Ethernet Over Coax(Single Pack). MoCA 2.5. 1x GbE Port. Provide 2.5Gbps Bandwidth with existing coaxial Cables. Best Companion for Home mesh Wi-Fi, White(WF-803M): Electronics

Amazon.com: goCoax MoCA 2.5 Adapter for Ethernet Over Coax(Single Pack). MoCA 2.5. 1x GbE Port. Provide 2.5Gbps Bandwidth with existing coaxial Cables. Best Companion for Home mesh Wi-Fi, White(WF-803M): Electronics

It's MOCA 2.5 but with a normal gigabit Ethernet jack. It's marginally faster than MOCA 2.0 adapters, the 2.5 adapters should give you full duplex gigabit Ethernet.

Don't forget to install a filter where the cable goes into your house to keep your MOCA signal from leaking back out into the street...