• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Actually it does!

My modem from AT&T doubles as a wifi router. Do you know how to get these two devices to cooperate? Any tutorial you can point me to? I just want my full internet back :(

If you can get the login information for your modem then you can turn it on bridged mode. Otherwise, you can call AT&T and ask them to do it for you.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use Plume. Now that they no longer have a lifetime subscription option, it's less of a deal, but the speeds are nothing to sneeze at.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
orbi has gone to shit imo, was great when it initially launched but software updates borked something. First few years was great for my parents and now they're having issues just as much as before they went mesh

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you can get the login information for your modem then you can turn it on bridged mode. Otherwise, you can call AT&T and ask them to do it for you.

If he has fiber he can't do that. The fiber gateways don't allow for bridge mode. You use pass through mode instead.

There is an official att article out there on what to do.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Last I tried it, Orbi wasn't handling IPv6 properly, would randomly drop my incoming ssh connections, and its ethernet backhaul didn't play nicely with my unmanaged switch for some reason. I wouldn't recommend it.

By contrast, Google Wifi was painless to setup and it's done everything I've asked it to. But it looks like their newest units don't support ethernet backhaul, so I won't be getting any more of them going forward.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've got the ubiquiti AMPLIFI. It's a more consumer friendly option from them and it's great for a house I'm renting. Plus, I initially just got the main piece and was able to add on the extenders super easily. I'm a big fan and the phone app to adjust things is easy to use too.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I have a Google Wifi setup and I could not be happier. Management of it is extremely easy, they have 24/7 support, and it's been the most reliable networking device I've ever owned. Literally the only drawback I have with it is that you need a switch for more wired devices, as the wifi points only have one input and one output.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If he has fiber he can't do that. The fiber gateways don't allow for bridge mode. You use pass through mode instead.

There is an official att article out there on what to do.

Right, it really depends on what (crappy) router AT&T has given him. On my modem, they just recently fixed the DMZPlus mode (after they broke it, fixed it, and broke it again without any kind of notice).

But that shouldn't be orbi's fault, any mesh system you use is going to have to have the router pass through everything to it for it to work properly.

Also if you're using Orbi, don't use the built in Circle unless you like ARP poisoning.

Cloggerdude

Just tell me what you need.
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's been mentioned, but most Ubiquity Unifi AP's, other than I believe the Amplifi line, require a wired connection between the AP's. This is the most optimal setup anyway, but it can be a real pain for the majority of people to make an Ethernet run that long.

I have a complete Unifi setup in my house and I love it, but, if I'm being honest with myself, I probably could have kept my Google Wi-Fi units and been almost as happy. The Unifi setup is definitely better, but it also had a significant time and dollar cost.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
orbi has gone to shit imo, was great when it initially launched but software updates borked something. First few years was great for my parents and now they're having issues just as much as before they went mesh

it's easier to take other netgear routers and put real firmware with linux mesh package on it. The cpu is stronger at this point and get better security or features on it. In older threads I would recommend orbi no point with Ubiquiti or Google Wifi these days.

My retail pick is Ubiquiti products for wifi Mesh.
For custom though buy best linksys or netgear routers that uses open firware and just scale the mesh to what you need.
Ideally I'd take my idea and then use Unifi at the bad edges, but that would require lots of, time and paitence.

I like ubiquiti but they use weak cpus. At least they got SQM on their products.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Deco M5 here and it works great in our house which is a huge old AF craftsman in LA. Set up was easy too and we get great reception throughout the house. The app is a bit buggy. For instance you can black list devices but once you remove them from the blacklist they can't log in again so you have to remove the device from the Deco network so they can join like a new connection. Its not triband like the m9 plus but it works great for our household as we are not power users anyways since we just do casual streaming here and there and I work from home occasionally so I need a fast quality connection for my terminals to remote servers.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
We have decent coverage in our house (200 MBps down upstairs, 25-30 mbps downstairs using a repeater).

Will google wifi solve the issue where you need to manually change the network? I don't need 200 mbps across the house, I'm just tired of having to manually c hange to the different networks).

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I have that Orbi system and have been pleased with it. (I'm not on AT&T internet, which another comment suggested had problems with Orbi.)

Using for two floors, haven't bothered checking outdoor signal, but I know they have a dedicated outdoor extender if that's an issue/priority worth spending the money on. But the base kit may give you enough signal depending on where you locate the router and satellite.

The only two hiccups have been:
  • During initial setup, it was a little unclear when the base was updating firmware and when the satellite was. And the signal goes down when that's happening. But after everything updated and was running again, it worked well.
  • The Oculus Quest has a problem with mesh wi-fi. I don't think it's unique to Orbi (probably more a problem with the Quest), but that's what I've got so it's worth mentioning. Wi-fi will connect, work fine for a while, then lose internet connection. Turning Quest's wi-fi off and on gets it connected again, but it will eventually lose internet again. Apparently it's an issue that happens when it swaps between 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, which I don't know why it's doing that in a pretty small play area. But I didn't want to pursue disabling the 2.4GHz band (if that's possible; still need it for some devices), so I just run the Quest off of a little travel router I had on hand on a different SSID.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
We have decent coverage in our house (200 MBps down upstairs, 25-30 mbps downstairs using a repeater).

Will google wifi solve the issue where you need to manually change the network? I don't need 200 mbps across the house, I'm just tired of having to manually c hange to the different networks).

Yes wifi mesh networks allow for roaming. Probably one of the main benefits to getting one if you have a large home and move from room to room a bit.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
By contrast, Google Wifi was painless to setup and it's done everything I've asked it to. But it looks like their newest units don't support ethernet backhaul, so I won't be getting any more of them going forward.

Whoa, when did Google drop support of Ethernet backhaul?

I can't find any info that they're doing that. Not even on the dedicated reddit section.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It may have been a misread on my part, but the Google Nest Wifi announcement page doesn't have any mention of ethernet backhaul anywhere. It's a little disconcerting.

I finally found some info on it after adding in "nest" to my searching terms. It looks like if you connect two Google Nest WiFi routers, Ethernet backhaul will work. The problem is the access points don't have Ethernet ports on them and only the router does, so you have to make sure to buy multiple routers. Good to know when recommending what mesh network to get to other people.

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Orbi. I have the unit you linked to and it is absolutely fantastic. Wi-Fi speeds are high throughout every corner of my house and I literally never need to reboot it. I tried an Eero kit before the Orbi and it paled in comparison.

With the Orbi, and any mesh system for that matter, if I connect one of my units to my modem and set it up and lets say I call the SSID "HOME_WIFI" and then I setup the satellite unit, do I need to setup another SSID for that? Or does it just take on the same SSID that I set when setting up the first unit? What I am trying to accomplish is to be able to move freely between floors in my house and just have my iPhone or any other WiFi enabled device connect to the closest access point without having to switch to another SSID....

I believe thats the entire point of the mesh, but just want to be sure...

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
With the Orbi, and any mesh system for that matter, if I connect one of my units to my modem and set it up and lets say I call the SSID "HOME_WIFI" and then I setup the satellite unit, do I need to setup another SSID for that? Or does it just take on the same SSID that I set when setting up the first unit? What I am trying to accomplish is to be able to move freely between floors in my house and just have my iPhone or any other WiFi enabled device connect to the closest access point without having to switch to another SSID....

I believe thats the entire point of the mesh, but just want to be sure...

Yes, same ssid, should allow seamless roaming between them